Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why say no to eve :/

Comments

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Originally posted by Bladin
    "Deciding whether the game sucks or not with those four weeks you spent is pretty rediculous"

Honestly does anyone whos not a eve fanboy see something wrong with that statement?  Or is it just me?  I'm not saying you should be uber in a month, but still come on...

NO VIDEO GAME EVER should require weeks of gameplay before you reach the "fun stuff"  imho if your not having fun in the beginning, its not worth suffering through.  But thats just my opinion...  No thats a fact.

Developers tell people "It has to be this way, there is no other way to do it" so therefore i must just accept the misery of the poorly designed low end game, so i can have fun at the high end.  A GOOD game gives you fun within the first 10 minutes of starting up. Keeps giving it to you for the next 5 hours, the next 10 hours, next 20 hours, next 40 hours, next 80 hours, next 160 hours...

I had fun the first 10 mintues in EVE.  IT was a SERIOUS challenge that's unfound in the current cookie-cutter MMO builds that are attempting to emulate the sucess of WoW.  "Fun" is relative and what one player finds enjoyable another may despise.  I personally cannot stand WoW and think it's a terrible game that's only purpose is to babysit children.

You do not need weeks, months, nor years to have fun in EVE.  What is needed is a little guidence from the community to assist you with the type of gaming experiances you wish to experiance within EVE. 

The main issue so many whinners have with EVE (using "whinners" since those are the ones that have a liberal use for an ignorant term such as "fanboi") is it requires actual thought to excel in.  Yes, EVE is _NOT_ for those who are mentally challenged or suffer from an attention defecit disorder. 

Being "snotty" or attempting to flex an e-peen with members of EVE's community will make your trek even more rough.  Be friendly and curteous so you can learn what others have to share.  Due to EVE's open gaming enivronment with the ability to "Play the game how you want" it's very easy to get "lost". 

EVE is not for players who thrive on instant action found in fps games.  There's no "kill x rats and bring me their tails" as in WoW.  EVE is more of a game of stellar domination where real world polotics and and treaties are an extremely vaulable asset!  EVE has deserved the rankings its received.  It shines above the others for many reasons which alot are unable to identify.

If EVE intrests you then flex those social skills and work on establishing a network of friends you can work with.  You will eventually feel left out if you have no social skills.

• SobaManSobaMan Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by mindspat

You do not need weeks, months, nor years to have fun in EVE.  What is needed is a little guidence from the community to assist you with the type of gaming experiances you wish to experiance within EVE. 

Well, sometimes people will refuse to enjoy something.  The odds are, he got sick of people WoW bashing and EQ2 bashing, so he decided to pretend to have some experience with Eve in order to downtalk it.  It happens.  That's what the MMORPG.com forums are for.  People who don't play Eve can now have the chance to complain about how much it sucks.  No amount of guidance will show him the "path to true enlightenment."  Some people see a fog and think there is nothing on the other side of the cloud.  Some people walk through the cloud alone.  Some people need guidance to make it through the cloud, and come back to help others.  The OP is definitely the first on the list... which sucks because Eve is the most fun out there.

CoV is a decent grinder with a fun aspect to it.  CoH is probably the same way.  But, Eve is the only game I've played thus far that truely makes me feel worth myself.  It gives me a reason to be better and to keep getting better.  It's given me self-confidence.  It's given me a love for science-fiction and, of all things, mathematics.  I can honestly say that, thanks to Eve, I'm smarter than anybody that doesn't play it because the tutorial sucked.

I say we drop it.  He can not play all he likes.  That just means less lag on Tranquility.

We can agree to disagree, or we can bicker constantly... either way, I'm right.
    SobaKai.com
    There are two types of people in this world - people that suck... and me.
  • sleepmindedsleepminded Member Posts: 5
    When I started playing, I didn't "get" EVE until about 2-3 months in. However, when I started, I joined a player-run corp right off the bat, and immediately started to learn how to do things. Personally, I like the learning wall (rather than a curve) of EVE. It keeps some of the idiots out of it. For example, when I introduced my roommate to EVE, he immediately got into it. upon the conclusion of his 14 day trial, he promptly signed up for a subscription.

EVE takes, in my opinion, not only patience, but a deeper understanding about the way the game works. You don't get your ship back when it goes boom, you need to pay/build it. The only things that NPC corps sell are containers, blueprints, shuttles, and overpriced modules (dual 180mm autocannons costing 30k???? ). The market is mostly run by the players. The game's politics are, for the most part, run by the players. If you can't get into the game, I don't think it's because the game wasn't made for you, it's that you aren't made to play this game.

I for one, enjoy a game where the devs (for the most part at least) listen to thier player base, and most changes are made with the interest of keeping the game balanced.

• bugzonlsdbugzonlsd Member Posts: 410

Originally posted by Jhughesy

Originally posted by bugzonlsd
    I made the mistake of dowloading Eve Online from direct 2 drive this morning, Not even 5 to 10 minutes of the tutorial did i feel like puking and was embarrased at myself for having spent the measily 20 dollars to get it. I dont see how anyone could like that game.
    I don't see how anyone could judge a game as deep as Eve in 5 to 10 mins.

No sorry...Eve sux ok, You assume too much thinking I only played for 10 minutes, Ive been playing mmos for a good ten years or so, I know a shitty game when I see one thx. Find a REAL mmo then go back to Eve and tell me it doesnt suck.
  • Aetius73Aetius73 Member Posts: 1,257

I made the mistake of dowloading Eve Online from direct 2 drive this morning, Not even 5 to 10 minutes of the tutorial did i feel like puking and was embarrased at myself for having spent the measily 20 dollars to get it. I dont see how anyone could like that game.

No sorry...Eve sux ok, You assume too much thinking I only played for 10 minutes, Ive been playing mmos for a good ten years or so, I know a shitty game when I see one thx. Find a REAL mmo then go back to Eve and tell me it doesnt suck.

You said right in your message you only played it for 5 -10 minutes and you felt like puking. Are we too assume that you puked and continued playing? That would not have been very bright on your part, and given the amount of information you presented his assumption was correct. I guess he should not have given you the benefit of having enough intelligence to stop doing something that was making you sick. It is also rather presumptuous of you to assume that EVE players have not played any other MMO's.
  • fizzle322fizzle322 Member Posts: 723

All the Eve devs are former UO pk'ers and much of the playerbase are old UO'ers from pre-Trammel days.

I myself have been online gaming in MUDS before there were MMO's.

The closest relative of Eve that I have played would be Battletech 3056 text based sim, bout 15 years ago.

Have a nice time in WoW.
  • Static_WolfStatic_Wolf Member Posts: 80

"All the Eve devs are former UO pk'ers and much of the playerbase are old UO'ers from pre-Trammel days."

Figures.

Originally posted by Aetius73

You said right in your message you only played it for 5 -10 minutes and you felt like puking. Are we too assume that you puked and continued playing? That would not have been very bright on your part, and given the amount of information you presented his assumption was correct. I guess he should not have given you the benefit of having enough intelligence to stop doing something that was making you sick. It is also rather presumptuous of you to assume that EVE players have not played any other MMO's.

Hrmm...speaking of bright..., who the hell spends 649 hours playing a game that sux? That to me isnt very "bright".

Now granted I know some of you people like Eve and or love it, if my post offended thats my bad, its just my opinion and I stand by it.

To me Eve is a waste of disk space and money. If you like this and play it, Im glad you have something you enjoy, btw I never said anything about Eve players NEVER PLAYED ANY OTHER MMOS, read the post you idiot, I said play a real mmo. And... hell no Im not still playing it, if your gonna assume something, assume you can READ  before you jump on a bs flame wagon.  People rate games and give honest opinions here, thats exactly what I did.

• Static_WolfStatic_Wolf Member Posts: 80

People rate games and give honest opinions here, thats exactly what I did.
    People rate games and give honest opinions here, thats exactly what I did.People rate games and give honest opinions here, thats exactly what I did.People rate games and give honest opinions here, thats exactly what I did.

Yup, that's what I tried to do as well, give my honest opinion until the nerd herd showed up. I'm glad they are keeping up the flames tho, real smart fanboys, real smart ;)

Originally posted by fizzle322

All the Eve devs are former UO pk'ers and much of the playerbase are old UO'ers from pre-Trammel days.

I myself have been online gaming in MUDS before there were MMO's.

The closest relative of Eve that I have played would be Battletech 3056 text based sim, bout 15 years ago.

Have a nice time in WoW.

WoW...cmon man WoW?  get real dude... and yea maybe some of the people from uo play, I dont  find it hard to believe that people who played that would settle for Eve. How do you go from ground based combat to a ship and think its gonna be like uo anyhow? Amazed by the graphics more then likely if you went there from uo at the time.

Btw way ..UO was never as good as people say it was, anyone now can go to uo and see the shotty graphics and lame view perspective, it hasnt changed lol.

Enjoy playing Eve pft :/ 

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Originally posted by JhughesyI don't see how anyone could judge a game as deep as Eve in 5 to 10 mins.

ExWoWers Can

And people who judge games by graphics.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me

Hrmm...speaking of bright..., who the hell spends 649 hours playing a game that sux? That to me isnt very "bright".
    Now granted I know some of you people like Eve and or love it, if my post offended thats my bad, its just my opinion and I stand by it.
    To me Eve is a waste of disk space and money. If you like this and play it, Im glad you have something you enjoy, btw I never said anything about Eve players NEVER PLAYED ANY OTHER MMOS, read the post you idiot, I said play a real mmo. And... hell no Im not still playing it, if your gonna assume something, assume you can READ  before you jump on a bs flame wagon.  People rate games and give honest opinions here, thats exactly what I did.

I guess we should consult with you as to what constitutes a real MMO? That is pretty much the only way to interpret such a statement. So please impart to us the list of real MMOs oh great one.

As for the rest of it you flip flop worse than Kerry. You said you only played for 10 min then when someone called you on that, that it wasn't enough time to evaluate a game you changed your position to saying you played more than ten minutes. However you also said that it was making you violently ill so either you played for 10 minutes and therefore don't have enough experience to give a valid opnion on the game, or you continued to play a game that was making you ill which is stupid. Which is it?

Check back in when you decide which position you are going to adopt, and why is it you trolls always resort to direct insults instead of valid arguments? Idiot indeed. I know because your premises always come up short when attempting to support your invalid conclusion!

p.s. how many thousands of hours did you waste on SWG to get your uber Jedi?

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884
    When the third house is in the Jupiters children will bring the passion is the driving force five would never bee satysfyed at the beggining of the movie I was oh so bored but with antygravity theory has come along way from the theory that it once was the time to reflex on for the time will be shorter are the sleeves in the summer then is she mad, but how can she stay mad Mike is crazy I tell you would never believe how scared I was swimming in the river against the current of my thoughts.

Ive been playing mmos for a good ten years or so
    (hidden)

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

Originally posted by SonofSeth
    When the third house is in the Jupiters children will bring the passion is the driving force five would never bee satysfyed at the beggining of the movie I was oh so bored but with antygravity theory has come along way from the theory that it once was the time to reflex on for the time will be shorter are the sleeves in the summer then is she mad, but how can she stay mad Mike is crazy I tell you would never believe how scared I was swimming in the river against the current of my thoughts.

0.o

My brain hurts just thinking about how you managed to stay sane writing that...

//insert sig here
  • apertotesapertotes Member Posts: 363

Btw way ..UO was never as good as people say it was, anyone now can go to uo and see the shotty graphics and lame view perspective, it hasnt changed lol.

Great, that is all you needed to say.

• binjuicebinjuice Member Posts: 363

Why does this guy make me laugh, basing an evaluation on UO purely by the graphics quality... Umm mate, not to make you look like a total retard or anything, but did they ever update UO graphics after release? Did they ever HAVE to update them? It is UO for god sake, it is a game of its own, we played it because you could do virtually anything in its 2d world.

*sigh*

Do some of these guys actually play a game before deciding whether or not they like it? Or do we live in a world where we need as many polygons on screen as possible to say a games good.

ps: BTW stands for 'by the WAY' or are you too thick to even understand basic abbreviations.

"Just because there are other colours to use in chat does not mean you have to use them..." - Please follow

Originally posted by binjuice

Why does this guy make me laugh, basing an evaluation on UO purely by the graphics quality...

Thats an awfully good question. Most veteran gamers have come to realize especially ones claiming to have played for 10 years or more that the most important aspect of the game is content not graphics. If graphics is your whole reason for playing a game then you totally lack imagination and do not belong anywhere near a computer game. The best graphics to be found anywere is real life if that is why you play a game then you are playing the wrong one if it involves a computer. I always find this argument about graphics quality to be boring and repeditive they didn't even have graphics when I started playing you newer gamers have it so good.

p.s. yes I walked to school uphill both ways in the snow

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

...p.s. yes I walked to school uphill both ways in the snow

Hahaha, me too!

*pat's Aeitus73 on the back*

My first true love was Carmageddon, I tried it again not long ago, I couldn't stop laughing at the graphics, but the game still rock's!

Max Damage FTW!

Originally posted by SonofSeth

...p.s. yes I walked to school uphill both ways in the snow

Hahaha, me too!

*pat's Aeitus73 on the back*

My first true love was Carmageddon, I tried it again not long ago, I couldn't stop laughing at the graphics, but the game still rock's!

Max Damage FTW!

Lol glad I was not the only one to experience that. (I'm not crazy afterall!)  

I may be getting senile in my old age (thats over 30 for you l337 types), but I think the old games generally had more engauging content. Most of the new games seem to want to try and ride on graphics alone these days(there are a few exceptions but sadly not enough of them). 

Carmageddon is defintly a classic I hope you continue to enjoy it for many years to come.

I may be getting senile in my old age (thats over 30 for you l337 types), but I think the old games generally had more engauging content. Most of the new games seem to want to try and ride on graphics alone these days(there are a few exceptions but sadly not enough of them).
    Carmageddon is defintly a classic I hope you continue to enjoy it for many years to come. image

That is a completely true statement. People today are just looking for better physics and better graphics rather than better and more content. A buddy of mine contributes this to the rise in popularity of consoles by judging from the Theif Series. If you look at Theif 1 & 2, they are completely different from Thief 3 which was the only one to be released on consoles.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Originally posted by Rayx0r

ROFL
    instant gratification bitches 4tw!!
    ya, I shouldnt feel any sort of achievements for the time put forth in any game that I play.  I want a single player mortal kombat mmo where I just jump in and instead of WEEKS.  or MONTHS of building my character to get in the mid tier of the game.. I want a day or two to get to the pinacle of it..the end game
    thats what mmos need.  less then a couple weeks of achievement to reach the pinacle end game, right?
    wait.. are we talking MMO's or sports/action single player games?

There's no reason to be nasty and name call. If you want people to stop "bashing" your game then you should try to be more civil toward people who disagree with your opinions. Flaming anyone who says, "I didn't like this part of EVE," just makes the EVE community seem hostile and irrational and invites other people to "bash" your game by reafirming the people that you are flaming.

A lot of people view massively multi-player online games (or massively multi-player online role-playing games if you're a role-player ) as games.

A lot of people play games for fun.

Having to not only wait weeks before getting to the fun part but also pay for the boring part seems masochistic. I don't believe this has anything to do with wanting instant gratification more than simply wanting to enjoy the game that you are paying for.

You have to wait in line before you can ride a ride at Disney World. People complained about the wait times and stopped going to the park. Disney's response was to shorten the wait time by offering a "fast pass".

I'd love to play a MMOG where I could just jump right in and interact with the other players as if I had been there all along. I see no reason to delay my ability to interact with other players. The entire reason to play a MMOG is to be able to interact with other players.

I don't believe that removing EVE's skill system would make EVE less fun.

If everyone started EVE at the same level (imagine everyone being maxed in every skill from the start) would you quit EVE because EVE would no longer be fun to play?

You still have your friends. You still have your wealth. You still perform the same activities as always. The only difference would be that even a new player could pilot a high-skill ship if they could get their hands on an expensive ship ( either by being given access to a ship to pilot for a corporation or being given money to buy a ship since it would still take time to aquire ISK ).

EVE's skill system isn't meant to be fun for players. EVE's skill system is meant to make players feel as if their characters are an investment and to keep players paying to maintain their investments. I can understand why CCP would not want to get rid of EVE's skill system without having another hook to keep players paying ( items and cash can be transfered and so are less likely to keep players paying when they might otherwise become bored with the game and quit ).

I don't view being the longest paying player as either an achievement or a goal for new players to strive for. Other MMOGs allow players to advance their characters at an uneven rate therefor allowing players to achieve status within the game at their own pace. EVE's skill system removes the player from the game by rewarding its most loyal customers rather than its most dedicated players ( in reference to EVE's skill system and character advancement, not wealth or social status which are not at issue here ).

But that's just my opinion. I'd rather be having fun than waiting in line. I completely understand why established players enjoy EVE. I would probably enjoy EVE too if I had a 3 year old character and didn't feel as if I were standing in line.
  • JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

Originally posted by OldManFunk

There's no reason to be nasty and name call. If you want people to stop "bashing" your game then you should try to be more civil toward people who disagree with your opinions. Flaming anyone who says, "I didn't like this part of EVE," just makes the EVE community seem hostile and irrational and invites other people to "bash" your game by reafirming the people that you are flaming.

A lot of people view massively multi-player online games (or massively multi-player online role-playing games if you're a role-player ) as games.

Having to not only wait weeks before getting to the fun part but also pay for the boring part seems masochistic. I don't believe this has anything to do with wanting instant gratification more than simply wanting to enjoy the game that you are paying for.

I know I'm having fun still learning about my ship (and the game) and about the rats I'm fighting and only have been playing for about a month. So just because you aren't at the level of other players doesn't mean you can't have fun.

You have to wait in line before you can ride a ride at Disney World. People complained about the wait times and stopped going to the park. Disney's response was to shorten the wait time by offering a "fast pass".

I'd love to play a MMOG where I could just jump right in and interact with the other players as if I had been there all along. I see no reason to delay my ability to interact with other players. The entire reason to play a MMOG is to be able to interact with other players.

I don't understand this statement in that I've been able to react with other players right from the start.

If everyone started EVE at the same level (imagine everyone being maxed in every skill from the start) would you quit EVE because EVE would no longer be fun to play?

I know I probably wouldn't play EVE anymore if they took away the skill system they have now. It's one of the reasons I like the game. I don't want to have all skills quickly because it takes away the chance to specialize and a lot of the intricacy of the game. Without the specialization, you can expect everybody to have the same ships and same mods, similar to every other MMOG out there. Plus even the long time players haven't tried everything the game has to offer and I'm betting that's the reason they are still playing.

You still have your friends. You still have your wealth. You still perform the same activities as always. The only difference would be that even a new player could pilot a high-skill ship if they could get their hands on an expensive ship ( either by being given access to a ship to pilot for a corporation or being given money to buy a ship since it would still take time to aquire ISK ).

EVE's skill system isn't meant to be fun for players. EVE's skill system is meant to make players feel as if their characters are an investment and to keep players paying to maintain their investments. I can understand why CCP would not want to get rid of EVE's skill system without having another hook to keep players paying ( items and cash can be transfered and so are less likely to keep players paying when they might otherwise become bored with the game and quit ).

Again I disagree with this statement. Eve's skill system is there to make you strategize what you want to do because it's not feasible to do everything in the game. If the skill system was action based, the casual player would suffer.

I don't view being the longest paying player as either an achievement or a goal for new players to strive for. Other MMOGs allow players to advance their characters at an uneven rate therefor allowing players to achieve status within the game at their own pace. EVE's skill system removes the player from the game by rewarding its most loyal customers rather than its most dedicated players ( in reference to EVE's skill system and character advancement, not wealth or social status which are not at issue here ).

The longest paying player does not have an advantage over other players. They only have the ability to spec in more areas of the game. I'm glad that the game doesn't reward the players who play the most. Many players have other priorities in RL. This is a strategy game, not a game to see who is most uber.

But that's just my opinion. I'd rather be having fun than waiting in line. I completely understand why established players enjoy EVE. I would probably enjoy EVE too if I had a 3 year old character and didn't feel as if I were standing in line.

I can understand your viewpoint and would agree that EVE is not the game for you.

Originally posted by SnaKey

That is a completely true statement. People today are just looking for better physics and better graphics rather than better and more content. A buddy of mine contributes this to the rise in popularity of consoles by judging from the Theif Series. If you look at Theif 1 & 2, they are completely different from Thief 3 which was the only one to be released on consoles.

Oh good I am not loosing it afterall! Its a shame though, but I think the games being produced reflect American society as a whole. Everyone has to have everything right now they can't wait anymore or have the least bit of patience(remember layaway no interest you still got your item and the monthly payments were tailored for you budget). This is the reason why the credit card companies are rolling in it and the average american has 9k in credit card debt at 15% dragging them down. Must have everything right now even if it does cost three times as much by the time you pay for the interest and the item.

As far as the gaming prospective goes you tend to get a lot of new games if you can jump into the end game right away, and quickly get tired of it. While this is good for the gaming companies (and the credit card companies for you really impatient people that carry a balance) it means you spend more of your hard earned money on games instead of other items since you get tired of the games more quickly by having all of the limited content up front. Now if you are rolling in money knock yourself out, but if you are spending your parent's money you might want to reconsider your habits.

I guess each side has their pros and cons, and I know which way the gaming companies are going (more $ of course) so the kinds of slow developing thoughtful games I grew up with are few and far between now. I love gaming but if current trends continue I may end up finding something else more engauging to occupy my down time, but for now EVE is doing a really good job of providing that slow and thoughtful pace I enjoy. So it pains me whenever someone shows up here and starts slinging mud half the time not even correctly never having even played the game(you know who you are). Of course on the bright side my other favorite hobby is arguing so this works out hehe.

• SobaManSobaMan Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by OldManFunk

ROFL
    instant gratification bitches 4tw!!
    ya, I shouldnt feel any sort of achievements for the time put forth in any game that I play.  I want a single player mortal kombat mmo where I just jump in and instead of WEEKS.  or MONTHS of building my character to get in the mid tier of the game.. I want a day or two to get to the pinacle of it..the end game
    thats what mmos need.  less then a couple weeks of achievement to reach the pinacle end game, right?
    wait.. are we talking MMO's or sports/action single player games?

All this from the guy who started THIS thread...

We can agree to disagree, or we can bicker constantly... either way, I'm right.
    SobaKai.com
    There are two types of people in this world - people that suck... and me.