Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bumper View and Steering Wheel control

ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320
Is there a bumper view?  Can the car be driven with a steering wheel control.  Anyone else play MOtor City Online?  I really liked that game and looking for something similiar.  If this is a driving game I would hope it had first person view and steering wheel control.  Or is it a mmorpg on wheels?  Thanks.  

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

Comments

• MizBHavenMizBHaven Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by Shreddi
    Is there a bumper view?  Can the car be driven with a steering wheel control.  Anyone else play MOtor City Online?  I really liked that game and looking for something similiar.  If this is a driving game I would hope it had first person view and steering wheel control.  Or is it a mmorpg on wheels?  Thanks.  

It's an mmorpg on wheels.  There is not a way to view the game in first person in the car or out unless, you count weird zooms and rotations of the camera angles that make it appear you're in first person for about half a second. 
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    It's is definately a MMORPG on wheels.  However, there are "40 features" which the devs are working on, that didn't make it in time for release - and I'm pretty sure that a first-person type of view is one of them.

As for steering wheel control, I know they've made efforts to accomodate as many types of controller as possible, and the driving is responsive to analog controls, but, the game mechanics pose a few problems.  Targetting can be a pain without the mouse, but I've heard of some players using a steering wheel in one hand, mouse in the other.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• MizBHavenMizBHaven Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by Vhaln
    It's is definately a MMORPG on wheels.  However, there are "40 features" which the devs are working on, that didn't make it in time for release - and I'm pretty sure that a first-person type of view is one of them.

As for steering wheel control, I know they've made efforts to accomodate as many types of controller as possible, and the driving is responsive to analog controls, but, the game mechanics pose a few problems.  Targetting can be a pain without the mouse, but I've heard of some players using a steering wheel in one hand, mouse in the other.

Steering wheel in one hand and mouse in the other?  Keyboard and Mouse I  can do, rub tummy in a circle with one hand while patting my head with the other is something I can not do heh those that can *woot* more power to them!

Thanks for the "40 features" clue and one being 1st person.  I do not remember reading about that on the O-Boards. 

side note: I am hoping for a few emotes while in the towns and out of the cars.  The Characters move nicely IMO and it almost seems odd that they can not interact using emotes to even wave at other players passing by.

• saintdsaintd Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Vhaln

I use a gamepad and rarely need to use the mouse while I am driving. You really just need to map a few buttons (easily done in game, or with third party button mapping software) to some of your skills.

You can map "nearest target", "next target" and "previous target" to the buttons and your targeting problems are solved. I mapped this to the d-pad (aka hat control) and it works great.

I spent maybe 30 minutes fiddling with the controls to get something I liked. You can't drive first person, but most console games have you driving from third person anyway.

With the game pad I find the game to be a lot like GTA. Drive around, do jumps, run people over, maybe do some missions.

I did have a problem with my Saitek P880 game pad. The game doesn't recognize it, so I had to use a logitech pad I liked less. I was able to use the Saitek software to map the joystick "bands" to the movement keys in a pretty good way. It's not as good as analog controls, but it's better than the keyboard IMHO.

If you aren't manaully lining up your targets for your front gun, you are missing out on a lot of damage potential. You are also missing out on a lot of the skill. Sure you can just circle strafe with your machine gun, but if you can time your shots with the main gun for when they are in your front arc, you will really mess them up fast.

Watch the red triangle shrink in the front tageting band. When it disapears, the gun fires. Pay attention to that and you can time your shots to do lots more damage.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Mapping target buttons to keys works fine for a while, but problematic vs a lot of mobs.  It targets things like oil slicks and mines, and some mobs even drop grey infantry, all of which are spammed enough that you end up surrounded by things that are a waste of time to shoot at.  Then there are also times when you're surrounded by 15 enemies, and one does a lot more damage than another.  So you want to target the most dangerous one ASAP.

You can cycle through targets with the keyboard, but I find that to be a real pain, where there's a lot going on, and lots of targets to cycle through.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Thanks very much.  I really appreciate your all taking the time to send this info.  Have fun.

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

• poodlebearpoodlebear Member Posts: 11

I'm glad this is being asked because the folks who expect this to be a true driving game are being dissapointed and I'd hate to see that negative opinion from that aspect not living up take effect the rest of the game. For myself the easier driving mechanics are a big plus as I am crap at driving games but can do quite nicely thanks with this one.  ::::02:: But yeah, for those seeking a real challenging driving game experience this is not it. There has been talk, I believe, of competition racing of some kind, and the Mutant starting area has one mission that is a race against 4 other people, and another that is a rally course, but you drive that alone. I'd love to see racing implemented.

Re: steering wheels: SOmeone on the AA forums said they really started loving this game when they added their steering wheel, but I can't imagine needing to drive with that and target/shoot with mouse. Sounds like being on a cell phone on the freeway to me... ::::03::

Originally posted by MizBHaven
    side note: I am hoping for a few emotes while in the towns and out of the cars.  The Characters move nicely IMO and it almost seems odd that they can not interact using emotes to even wave at other players passing by.

My husband and I have taken to "hopping in greeting" both in and out of the cars, just as kind of a joke in hopes of emotes. Also, "I shoot you hello" is popular around here. ::::39:: Granted we're in the same room so emotes are really not necessary, but we use 'em all the time in WoW, it's fun, and since there is this out of car aspect it would be a plus. It feels weird with the level of detail in the towns (the true shadows are amazing, actual shape and correct alignment to the sun, not just a dark blob beneath you) that you can't wave or make rude gestures or anything. Someone suggested that the cars be given horns so you could beep hello and lay on it when someone's in your way kinda thing. That could get noisy.