Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So much hype. you guys are going to get let down

2»

Comments

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Originally posted by anarchyart
    The only thing that has let me down so far is that Sigil seems to have an "all asshat" beta recruitment policy. I wish they would invite me and something might actually get tested.

*grin evilly*

Despite all their catering to uber raiders, they remember well how the official sites of those raiders look like...imagine for a beta during the hyping session, it would invariably disastrous, even if the game was perfect uber raiders would ditch it and pinpoints "flaws".  They have a marketing team who is doing it job, this is all. 

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• MaldachMaldach Member Posts: 399

Originally posted by Abraxos

Right on the money! 2003-2006 was a horrible period of  MMORPGs. It launched WOW which was good for the community but overall no game that grabbed you and pulled you in like EQI. EQII was horrible. The whole second generation instance everything method of online gaming was very dissapointing. As hyped as I was for EQII, I seriously doubt Vanguard could be worse. I've got a dusty shelf with Guild Wars, EQII and WOWsitting on it. At most I soloed four months in WoW and the other's we're shelved in less than a month. If Vanguard is a dissapointment I will probably stick to single player RPGs like Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights 2 but it's easy to get overly hyped in a genre full of  D&D Online, EQII and Guild Wars as the top contenders to the WOW juggernaut. Makes me almost want to go load DAOC again or something....

Well said, Abraxos, well said!! I couldn't agree more.

edit: Somehow I double quoted you. removed.

• BlackWhysperBlackWhysper Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by n2sooners

Originally posted by cdeepal

I am playing EQ2 at the moment and I am loving every bit of it.
    I wish Vanguard to be better. However, I am skeptical about any new game, because we all know what has happened to D&D Online.

Fortunately VG is going to be nearly the exact opposite of DDO.

lol, if you think VG is going to turn out like DDO, thten you really have no hope for this game. =p

Sorry but i think VG has more hope then that 

I think VG will be an excellent game =)

• SmackjabberSmackjabber Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Don't feed the troll posters ppl...

Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear...

• amark_8amark_8 Member Posts: 75

Vanguard looks like a very good game but has anyone noticed that the game is very dark? Might just be me >_>

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516
    DDO beats all in the overhyped category even EQ2. Atleast EQ2 has vastly improved since its launch and with the PvP servers. As far as Vanguard goes, a few people are going to be let down as it is with every mmorpg released. I for one will wait awhile after release befor I buy just to see how it goes. After getting DDO and being totaly letdown, I will never preorder or buy on release day another mmorpg.

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• nowrnvrnowrnvr Member UncommonPosts: 42

Personally, you cant go by what others think its sorta like getting a movie and someone says its really really good and you watch it to find" holy bleep" that sucked ... everyone needs to try " games"  for themselves !!!

As for ppl that keep posting pics and negative attitudes , I only wish you hadnt got picked for beta as this was a chance to try it out ... Its not the end game its the beginning... what vanguard was looking for was ppl willing to help them find ways to tweak it .. so /zip it and or leave if its not for u

/rant off

So far I have played and enjoyed quite a few games Eq1 , EQ2 (pvp) ,WoW, Lineage 2 (sadly too much L2 wind used here ruined the game for me.. exploits ruin a game long term=( ) They are all different games but I enjoyed them all for different reasons but by far my farovite game was Eq1 .. I look forward to trying out Vanguard regardless of what others say .. I'm not going to let others decide if i like it or not ...

There is life out of this world....reach beyond

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

Originally posted by nowrnvr
    Personally, you cant go by what others think its sorta like getting a movie and someone says its really really good and you watch it to find" holy bleep" that sucked ... everyone needs to try " games"  for themselves !!!
    As for ppl that keep posting pics and negative attitudes , I only wish you hadnt got picked for beta as this was a chance to try it out ... Its not the end game its the beginning... what vanguard was looking for was ppl willing to help them find ways to tweak it .. so /zip it and or leave if its not for u
    /rant off
    So far I have played and enjoyed quite a few games Eq1 , EQ2 (pvp) ,WoW, Lineage 2 (sadly too much L2 wind used here ruined the game for me.. exploits ruin a game long term=( ) They are all different games but I enjoyed them all for different reasons but by far my farovite game was Eq1 .. I look forward to trying out Vanguard regardless of what others say .. I'm not going to let others decide if i like it or not ...
    There is life out of this world....reach beyondimage

great post! ::::08:: and i agree 100% i have the same attitude, i have known from the beginning that vanguard isn't going to be for everyone.

and for whatever reason you have those people that feel that if a game doesn't fit their play style that they have to flame the hell out of it.

i might post i don't like it or it isn't my style, but i certainly don't try relentlessly to bring it and its fans down, that has never made any sense to me. ::::12::

no matter what it is they will find something to complain about just so it makes that game look bad, why do they do this? i have no idea....if there is a game i don't feel is interesting or that doesn't fit my playstyle i just leave it alone.

even if vanguard does not turn out the way i planned and i don't like it, it is not the end of the world....but some of these people have already decided they don't like it and obviously to alot of them it was the end of the world.

so now they have to spend all their time flaming the hell out of it, lol to each his own i guess.....whatever makes you feel better ::::19::

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• SinisterCBSinisterCB Member Posts: 302
    Why is it that all these people never have anything positive to say about any game?

"I'm not a racist...I only hate stupid people..."-SinisterCB

• JointnessJointness Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by SinisterCB
    Why is it that all these people never have anything positive to say about any game?

bcse of this :

Some Leaked Beta 2.5 Pics i found on Photobucket

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    OMG a flying dragon as a mount? I must have missed something, didn't know there was supposed to be one, at least not so early.
    I thought only horses would be implemented for launch.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by Athela

The more I read about Vanguard, the more I am looking forward to it.  I think in this case the hype is actually because alot of people are excited to see what veteran mmorpg makers can do when they get to plan and execute the whole thing just the way they want, no micromanaging from above. 
    Anytime you get a bunch of creative, talented people involved in a project, you are going to get something special.  These guys are taking the time to do it right.  They are listening to their fan base and balancing what the fans want against what the developer dreams and visions are.  That is a recipe for success.
    The game may not end up being what every type of player wants, but there are so many new games coming out that offer such variety, I think you can find what you'll enjoy somewhere else.

I wish I was so naive.

If they implement 1/4th of what is posted by the "fans" the game will be horrible. I find it strange how people equate lossing levels, 45 minute travel times and fighting others for spawns or kill stealing with fun. The reason EQ1 was fun was because it was really the first of it's type (if you ignore UO which many people did). The fun of EQ for me was exploring the world, adventuring with my friends and advancing through levels to attaining new items. It WASN'T fun having 8-12 hour CRs in PoF in the early days. The fact that you could zone into PoF and be dead before you finished zoning should have clued in the designers that they did something wrong.

I really hope they take their own inspiration on this and truely do make a innovative game. I can't see that in the forums though. So far seems they are taking their ques from people that are no better than lazyboy quarterbacks.

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

Originally posted by ste2000
    OMG a flying dragon as a mount? I must have missed something, didn't know there was supposed to be one, at least not so early.I thought only horses would be implemented for launch.

i think those are for Dev's only, also i don't see what is so bad about those screens personally......they look pretty good to me, guess i am not elite enough to see the flaws..::::03::

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Jointness

bcse of this :

I guess beauty IS in the eye of the beholder because those screenshots look GREAT!

That's just the kind of fantasy world I am looking for and I thank you for posting that link.

Naturally, the "quality" of the screens is somewhat poor, and I have seen enough beta-tester screens to know they are not all playing on high-end systems nor with very high graphics settings.  Taking this into account (and having seen the high quality screens which have been officially released) those screenshots posted from the beta look fascinating.

I got a chuckle out of one where the warrior kicks the giant wasp.  I want to make up some funny caption for it (errrr, 'cept I can't think of anything).

The dragon mount is unbelieveable (understanding that flying mounts will be added for high level players sometime after release). BTW, that's done other than Aradune (nick) himself, the CEO of Sigil.

Overall, the gameworld looks even better than I imagined.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• ErahnErahn Member Posts: 109

Originally posted by Celestian

I wish I was so naive.If they implement 1/4th of what is posted by the "fans" the game will be horrible. I find it strange how people equate lossing levels, 45 minute travel times and fighting others for spawns or kill stealing with fun. The reason EQ1 was fun was because it was really the first of it's type (if you ignore UO which many people did). The fun of EQ for me was exploring the world, adventuring with my friends and advancing through levels to attaining new items. It WASN'T fun having 8-12 hour CRs in PoF in the early days. The fact that you could zone into PoF and be dead before you finished zoning should have clued in the designers that they did something wrong.I really hope they take their own inspiration on this and truely do make a innovative game. I can't see that in the forums though. So far seems they are taking their ques from people that are no better than lazyboy quarterbacks.

Lets get some facts straight. EQ1 was not the first of its kinda.

Death penalties are a must or you end up with things like in WoW where a bunch of low level run through the instances and get massive gold and XP for thier levels. They keep dying but it iddn't matter since they just try again and always coming out with alot of xp and still profit on gold after repairs. That is why the level limits were placed on the instances. Death penalties are a must for a game like this to last. You ever played FFXI and had relic gear? Do a few dynamis runs and you will realize you will level down until your LS knows its way around and lsoe access to a piece of your armor set possibly your weapon too, it is an important part of the game too. Otherwise everyone would have a ton of amazingly overpowered gear and just farm for the latest released item like WoW.

Travel times are also something that needs to exist in a world. There should be limited ways to travel quicikly so that you can't get a raid group somewhere almost instantly again like in WoW, but a few otehr games also. Just because you are playing on the same server doesn't mean you should have access to every raid boss spawn. It trivializes the drops since some raid group can always get to the spawn by camping it with a mule and teleporting to the spawn point briefly interuptting what they are doing. Raid boss spawns should be missed, or camped by an entire guild looking for ToD then the drops have actual value since they aren't going to be flooding the market or equipped by everyone that can use it.

About fighting for spawns...also necessary for anything to have value. WoW is the game of instant gratification, even more so than GW which i find hilarious. Vanguard shouldn't be about instant gratification there are too many games going that route after seeing WoW's successs and it is destroy8ing the content of the MMO market.

• JointnessJointness Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by SpiritofGame

bcse of this :

I guess beauty IS in the eye of the beholder because those screenshots look GREAT!

That's just the kind of fantasy world I am looking for and I thank you for posting that link.

Naturally, the "quality" of the screens is somewhat poor, and I have seen enough beta-tester screens to know they are not all playing on high-end systems nor with very high graphics settings.  Taking this into account (and having seen the high quality screens which have been officially released) those screenshots posted from the beta look fascinating.

I got a chuckle out of one where the warrior kicks the giant wasp.  I want to make up some funny caption for it (errrr, 'cept I can't think of anything).

The dragon mount is unbelieveable (understanding that flying mounts will be added for high level players sometime after release).

i think that you wont fly, but the dragon mount is just like a horse but with a different skin and a + speed on it . . .
  • GrestehGresteh Member Posts: 146

Originally posted by SpiritofGame

bcse of this :

The dragon mount is unbelieveable (understanding that flying mounts will be added for high level players sometime after release).

i think that you wont fly, but the dragon mount is just like a horse but with a different skin and a + speed on it . . .

I seem to recall that brad said that the engine itself is ready for flying, but the gameplay mechanics(fighting, npc pathing, npc ai) are not, so they will not add flying mounts until they manage to add those mechanics.

But Game masters can use them since the engine ready for basic flying.
  • SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Toggle Comments On

(Vanguard Player Submitted Screenshot)

Caption: "Vanguard makes full use of the Z-axis ... those are not birds."

(They look like Aradune's dragon mount to me.)

Comments from the Devs concerning high-level flying player mounts made it clear that the mounts would not just "hover" but make full use of the Z-axis -- in other words, yes, really fly.

The jist of the comments were that 1) flying player mounts would be for high-level players to acquire, 2) they would not be in at launch, but added sometime later and 3) the basic game mechanic is already coded to allow for flying.

I will have to go hunt down that info again from that very long list of SilkyVenom Q&As.  If I can find the quotes, I will edit and post them here.

Edit: (from section 41 of SilkyVenom Q&A)

Will we be able to fly?

The Vanguard game engine is being designed to allow for flying (some screenshots and last year's E3 in-game movie show this, and some of you who have had the game demo'd to you have probably seen us use GM powers and then fly high up into the air -- having a true seamless world really helps with this too, btw). Mobs already fly and can path through the air as well as on land and under water.

That said, fully supporting true flying involves a lot of planing and additional functionality and so it's unlikely we'll support true flying (as opposed to levitation, which has been in many games, back to EQ 1 and before that) at launch. Hopefully in an expansion we can really explore additional modes of travel like this. Also, griffon rides that are on tracks like WoW and EQ 2 have wouldn't be hard to implement.

Anyway, just want to be up front about this and manage expectations. Were we to have, for example, fly carpets, they would levitate, not truly fly.

Source: Aradune Mithara

~~~

Seems to indicate that 1) flying is possible and 2) would become available with an expansion.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by Erahn
    Lets get some facts straight. EQ1 was not the first of its kinda.
    Death penalties are a must or you end up with things like in WoW where a bunch of low level run through the instances and get massive gold and XP for thier levels. They keep dying but it iddn't matter since they just try again and always coming out with alot of xp and still profit on gold after repairs. That is why the level limits were placed on the instances. Death penalties are a must for a game like this to last. You ever played FFXI and had relic gear? Do a few dynamis runs and you will realize you will level down until your LS knows its way around and lsoe access to a piece of your armor set possibly your weapon too, it is an important part of the game too. Otherwise everyone would have a ton of amazingly overpowered gear and just farm for the latest released item like WoW.
    Travel times are also something that needs to exist in a world. There should be limited ways to travel quicikly so that you can't get a raid group somewhere almost instantly again like in WoW, but a few otehr games also. Just because you are playing on the same server doesn't mean you should have access to every raid boss spawn. It trivializes the drops since some raid group can always get to the spawn by camping it with a mule and teleporting to the spawn point briefly interuptting what they are doing. Raid boss spawns should be missed, or camped by an entire guild looking for ToD then the drops have actual value since they aren't going to be flooding the market or equipped by everyone that can use it.
    About fighting for spawns...also necessary for anything to have value. WoW is the game of instant gratification, even more so than GW which i find hilarious. Vanguard shouldn't be about instant gratification there are too many games going that route after seeing WoW's successs and it is destroy8ing the content of the MMO market.

This is exactly what I was talking about.

If people like this influence Vanguard as much as it seems they have it will not be an innovative game, just another niche game that falls off the radar.

• achellisachellis Member Posts: 542

i actually enjoy playing this game