Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is the buzz

corechambercorechamber Member UncommonPosts: 148
  Not sure if anyone has had time to really give this game a look over. Im surprised theres not more talk about this game cause it has alot for diffrent types of gamers.  The crafting system will be great bout time something like uo came along again. Pvp and combat have alot of potential.  I mean you can play any role in this game you want. You could be a thief, or part of an army, or just a crafter mabey a farmer. I dont see how roleplayers couldnt be happy. I know some are turned off by graphics, and some scraed off by the payment option. But are thoes to things enough for this game to go by unnoticed.  With preoreders doing well (which im still trying to purchase, their reatil partner wants you to wire the money to there bank?) mabey RB can spread the word alil more. I think the more people we have the better the battles will be, that is if they can keep it balanced. So look the game over if your into it spread the word to your friends, this is a game alot of us have been waiting for if they get the numbers to make the game work.

Comments

• KanothKanoth RedBedlam Comm. Mgr.Member Posts: 295

We want to start small.  That, and the money for advertising isn't really there because we're independant.

The reason you dont hear alot from other people is people have been generally good about keeping the details of testing under their hats.  And we're greatful for that.

Advertising will be stepped up at a later date.

"Rome wasn't coded in a day"
    - Kanoth

• VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492
    I am sure once the NDA drops word of this gmae will spread like wild fire. Though they cannot spend much on advertising I am sure word of mouth will be enough for a few months after release. To help out I think anyone who owns a site should advertise the game for them, I know I would if I had a site...myspace!

• LilTLilT Member Posts: 631
    I think in the world of mmo's, word of mouth is the best advertising anyways. 

For the Horde!

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Originally posted by Kanoth

We want to start small.  That, and the money for advertising isn't really there because we're independant.
    The reason you dont hear alot from other people is people have been generally good about keeping the details of testing under their hats.  And we're greatful for that.

Nice spin.

The reality is that there is just as much negative buzz about this game as positive.

RV gets positive buzz for being historical and having some good ideas, but lots of negative views because of weak graphics, the revenue system, and awarding preorders in-game advantage over retail customers.

• bsaerensbsaerens Member Posts: 31

If the game makers have a tight budget. I'd rather have it go to the development of the game than to advertising and publicity. I think that's what Red Bedlam is doing right now. This isn't Blizzard you know,  who can put in a media campaign of millions of dollars.

From the crusifixation alone RBL has gotten alot of news media from all around the world. Thus attracting people to look at the game. Word of mouth will make this game go along way.

• Ec1992Ec1992 Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Samuraisword

Nice spin.

The reality is that there is just as much negative buzz about this game as positive.

RV gets positive buzz for being historical and having some good ideas, but lots of negative views because of weak graphics, the revenue system, and awarding preorders in-game advantage over retail customers.

Weak graphics? All of the released graphics were on low detail, because they are testing it. And so they should award preorderers advantage. Those are the people who payed into the development of the game, and are aiding in the testing. This isnt an average RPG. Is that so wrong?
  • Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501

Originally posted by Ec1992

Originally posted by Samuraisword

Nice spin.

Weak graphics? All of the released graphics were on low detail, because they are testing it. And so they should award preorderers advantage. Those are the people who payed into the development of the game, and are aiding in the testing. This isnt an average RPG. Is that so wrong?

I have yet to see anyone from RB confirm that the graphics have yet to be 'turned on', so this is speculative at best and laughable for sure...

• OrdieOrdie Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by Jorev

The screenshots currently available are obviously the best graphics possible atm.

Not true of RV.  Maybe of other Companies.

Here are a couple of old posts from KFR that still ring true.

"Sounds like it's time for me to shed some more light on the pics.

They
    were taken in third person view, which currently has a slight fisheye
    lense effect - this effect doesn't apply in first person view. This can
    sometimes make screenshots look slightly odd - warped even,
    particularly towards the edges.

The ground effects aren't on
    yet and we're only using one tile per ground surface, which is why the
    ground all looks a bit samey. Also the sky is just a default - it'll
    look more sensible when we have weather and time of day actually doing
    their bit. The clouds aren't even moving at the moment.

The people all have the same clothes because we're using a generic auxiliary character for all the testers at the moment.

The multi-coloured circle just noticeable in some pics is a side-effect of the screen capture utility I was using.

In
    short, these aren't publicity shots - they're much more candid. If I
    really wanted to wow people, I'd load up a variety of characters, stand
    them in exactly the right location, turn on some local ground effects
    and take a screenshot in first-person view. It would probably end up
    looking something like this.

But
    I thought it would be better right now to just take some quick
    screenshots of what actually goes on inside the GOCaT programme."

Or this:

"Kanoth is absolutely right. When you're
    building a massive virtual world from scratch, appearance is the very
    last thing you worry about - at least it is if you're doing it right,
    IMHO. That having been said, and as everyone here hopefully knows, we
    do welcome all criticism. It's just that this is some criticism that we
    were rather expecting and, to be honest, not too bothered about.

The
    cute effects that make us look like a big-brand MMORPG are really very
    trivial compared to the other things we have to worry about and do.
    It's much harder to build scalable software infrastructure and solid
    game mechanics and consequently that's where our focus remains at this
    stage of development. And believe it or not if we got the easy stuff
    out of the way first, then it would make some of the hard stuff harder
    to build and test accurately.

We are not a
    marketing/hype-based MMORPG developer and at the moment we're a
    developer that's never launched a product or service. Consequently, you
    won't see Roma Victor trying to muscle in on column inches in the
    gaming press or trying to appear on every online gaming web site there
    is, simply by punting out an almost meaningless assembled screenshot.

Instead,
    on this site and our fansites, you will see screenshots released of
    actual development, real testers and their genuine experiences. Most
    developers are shy of releasing such things in case they meet exactly
    this reaction - so they rush graphical features out in order to spruce
    up the screenshots and please the marketing people, who are eager to
    start making noises.

We won't sacrifice our development plan
    or schedule in any way to satisfy such whims at this stage. If people
    are turned away by the look of screenshots from the GOCaT testing then,
    frankly, I'm really not too bothered at this stage. Anyone making such
    superficial judgements about something so clearly incomplete will not
    bring much to this community or Roma Victor itself. And I'm quite sure
    that these same people will be making very different noises next year
    when they get to see some screenshots that look much better than
    they're expecting (because of the limits of their own imaginations,
    after all).

This, I should imagine, will pretty much be my
    final word on the subject until around this time next year. In the
    meantime I'll keep releasing screenshots of the ongoing GOCaT programme
    whenever I can. We're much more interested in this community than "the
    marketplace".

-KFR

P.S. The graphics
    engine is our own - built from scratch within this year. It's really
    rather sophisticated, extremely capable and integrates perfectly with
    the other engines that we've had to build - network, sound etc.

P.P.S. When we get to implement all the latest graphics
    features I'm actually pretty confident that we'll look better than most
    big-brand MMORPG's out there. After all we'll have most, if not all, of
    the same graphical systems that the others have and, in my opinion, we
    already have much better art material than most."

If you took the time Jorev to research
    your concerns and find the answers, you may just have a different
    outlook on the game.  Head to our forums and use that search engine. 
    You may be pleasenly surprised.

http://mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/49675/page/3

- Starcius

Originally posted by Ordie

We won't sacrifice our development plan or schedule in any way to satisfy such whims at this stage. If people are turned away by the look of screenshots from the GOCaT testing then, frankly, I'm really not too bothered at this stage. Anyone making such superficial judgements about something so clearly incomplete will not bring much to this community or Roma Victor itself. And I'm quite sure that these same people will be making very different noises next year when they get to see some screenshots that look much better than they're expecting (because of the limits of their own imaginations, after all).

YIKES!  This kind of attitude isn't going to get anybody anywhere...  So what if we are questioning the validity of the graphics?  Don't forget, we are the people you are trying to impress here...  So, by this sentiment, I obviously am not wanted in RV simply because I would like to see some decent screenies?

NEWFLASH!!!!  Games show off screenshots to help entice people into the game...  You may be going about your game a different way, but there are some elementary principles of marketing that are getting overlooked here... The devs of RV must have bowling ball sized cohones to make a statement like this.

I was considering trying out RV, but this attitude the dev is showing is the exact opposite one would do when it comes to customer relations, major turn-off...  Why would you even come off like that?  If I see screenshots like the pics from beta, which you have clearly made public, your damn right I am gonna question them...  Why even show something as half-baked as the screenies you have?  Remember, you are the seller and we are the buyer, if I came off like that to my clients, I would be broke...  Might want to think about that...

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

I have to agree on the screenshots... If they can produce better looking screens, they need to.  I know that a lot of games put out early beta screens, but they generally outshine the stuff we have seen from RV.  Knowing they are a very small development team, and based on the screens we have seen, I think most reasonable people would expect those screens to accurately reflect what the game will look like.  If they don't, then it is really on the devs to make that point clear... and seeing is believing.

Going beyond graphic quality, I think the payment method for this game definitely gives a lot of people pause.  Sure, they say you can play the game without ever having to buy in game currency, but can you really hope to compete with the people who do choose to buy the coin?  I guess a historical game set in roman times needs peasants, but I don't really want to play peasant simulator.  Even If i take the idea in stride and decide it's worth investing the same amount of  money in game currency as i would normally spend for monthly fees, I have concerns that it still will not be enough to remain competitive.  I can't stomach the idea of a game where the playing field is slanted in proportion to how much cash you decide to dump in to the game.

If you know how to you can survive without money. There are alot of houses/tribes being setup. I would think that in these the leader is the rich one and then he gives it out untill his members can turn a profit without needing to throw in more money

Some of the houses state how much they will pay each position

EDIT:

here for example:

http://www.roma-victor.com/community/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6296

• Mikey0114Mikey0114 Member Posts: 310

Originally posted by Salvatoris

I have to agree on the screenshots... If they can produce better looking screens, they need to.  I know that a lot of games put out early beta screens, but they generally outshine the stuff we have seen from RV.  Knowing they are a very small development team, and based on the screens we have seen, I think most reasonable people would expect those screens to accurately reflect what the game will look like.  If they don't, then it is really on the devs to make that point clear... and seeing is believing.
    Going beyond graphic quality, I think the payment method for this game definitely gives a lot of people pause.  Sure, they say you can play the game without ever having to buy in game currency, but can you really hope to compete with the people who do choose to buy the coin?  I guess a historical game set in roman times needs peasants, but I don't really want to play peasant simulator.  Even If i take the idea in stride and decide it's worth investing the same amount of  money in game currency as i would normally spend for monthly fees, I have concerns that it still will not be enough to remain competitive.  I can't stomach the idea of a game where the playing field is slanted in proportion to how much cash you decide to dump in to the game.

Yawwwnnnn....dude....research as people would say.

Wtf are you on about, where the hell do you think that cash goes when its put into the game. This game has a player based economy. When you purchase an item, the money goes to the person, or person's NPC which made that item. If an NPC sold that item, the money is held by the NPC, but the NPC is owned by an actual Player. So in the end, that money that is put into the game, is still given to the people, who spend more time crafting. There are two ways, to become rich and powerful. Put money into the game, or spend more time in game. Its  on or the other, or can be both.

Neither in this game will give you nothing. If people put their time into this game, they receive good money back. All money put into the game, always exists. The cash is never given to an NPC for an item, and then seizes to exist. That never happens. Also you will never receive money from nowhere ingame. When you do receive money, keep in mind, it came from another actual player's pocket.

So how the hell can this VERM system not work, and how does it give  a bigger advantage to the people who put more money into the game? Please don't talk as if you know what your are saying....the money put into the game, always goes to another player, who pays or who doesn't, it will never be given to an NPC, then seize to exist. Even NPCs who buy certain items, are limited to how much they can pay for those items, depending on how much they have. The VERM payment system works perfectly with these aspects and ideas.

A tip in the future, not to make you look more ignurant, research and learn what you are talking about.

Lastly, money in this game, doesn't make you a better fighter. Having everything you want will not give you bonuses. Only thing which will give you bonuses is if  you spend more on NPC armies, but even players who don't submit money, can still afford to purchase NPC armies, just not so easilly.

Lastly, to the bimbo complaining about the screenshots in the post above Salvaoris......those screenshots are the actual screenshots of what the game actually looks like at the moment. And RedBedlam was very clear about it, that they are leaving graphics for last. Not only that, but the graphics resolution, at most is set to 800 x 600 I presume. Why do you wish for RedBedlam to be dishonest and give you great looking screenshots that aren't really what the game currently looks like in beta. Why do you wish for RedBedlam to lie to you, and make things up, instead of being plain and honest. They don't have an attitude, they are being very plain, stating they will not listen to the players complaining about the graphics, because thats of absolute lowest priority, and most of the Roma Victor COmmunity Agrees. So if you feel you are one of those people who would be ignored, try and raise are more important issue, and see how even the Lead Dev himself will probably post in it. Thats how well they look after their community, if your posts have useful issues or  points or whatever, the devs will reply back.....if they are posted on their own Forums. The devs try their best to listen to every single player's thread and discussion. So if you complain about a greater issue, which has not been settled yet, the devs will probably give you more attention. RB's greatest asset is their community, and thats why its so big. Roma Victor's community and future player base has probably been treated the best by RedBedlam, when compared to other Dev teams with a lot more money and employees.

Think before posting by the way next time!
    breath in...and out...in....and out

Its going to be alright mikey, really it is

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

I believe everything I posted was constructive criticism. As far as research, I have done an average amount, and didn't claim my perceptions of the game to be anything other than my opinion. In fact, if I hadn't done any "research", I wouldn't even be aware of the Verm system, or the quality of the screenshots.

As a longtime Master Armorsmith in SWG, I am well aware of the intricacies of a player run economy. I have also seen the downside of credits being readily available for sale on the internet and I wonder how much worse it might be in a system where they not only condone the process of purchasing in game currency, but cut out the middleman and facilitate the process directly.  I am uncomfortable with the developers bottom line being solely dependent on the amount of in game currency sold, and the potential slippery slope that course of action leads down.

The OP is asking where the buzz is on this game, and I posted a few points that make me hesitant in my anticipation of the game. I don't think there was any reason at all for the juvenile flaming in your response. Furthermore, if you are going to call someone "ignorant", run a spell check. It's one of those words that make you look foolish when not spelled correctly ;)

Yeah either that, or else a 4:00 am post which I really wasn't bothered to look over. Listen, sorry didn't intend to flame. Lol, I actual tried to remove the worse bits, but still missed some...my apologies.

Anyway I think your opinion still ignores the facts about the game.

Your personal opinion is ignoring the facts that the VERM suits this virtual world. The paying customer gets his equipment easilly through the ingame currency he needs. The non-paying customer receives his equipment either through his own hard work (which is of course practically impossible to do in this game alone) or he receives his equipment with the money he receives for doing specific jobs he's specialised in.

Only advantage you get in the game by submitting money for credits is, you don't have to use so much time to make items. This game also includes the feature of full loot dropping after death. So there are no special items you can have equipped forever, and that means you do require more money to play. Thats another advantage players get for submitting money for credits; they don't have to worry so much about requipping themselves.....but it still doesn't make them better players.

To be honest, the players who will be better players are those who can afford to spend more time playing the game crafting items for money. They will be the better players, possibly  because their skills are reflected by their actions.

I will be honest, even I was uncomfortable with the VERM system at first, but in truth, it really suits this kind of game. It would never suit a game like WoW, but for this game it really will suit it. If you didn't know already, its already been applied within the beta, to the beta players. There have been no negative posts about it at all.

This game, will be sort of run by the players, guilds have a very important part in running the ingame world also. Please try to understand, having the most money in this game does not really mean being the richest, or most powerful. Money is just a form of currency for trading items. But having a good business and trade, or having a good status within the politics in the gameworld, or just being very popular. Thats what makes you rich in this game.

Although you may never have enough money, there are sometimes limits to how much that money can get you.

Salvatoris, I should have said this before, what I am trying point out is, ingame money doesn't get you everything you want. There are no rare items, just very hard to make items. Swords for example. Its hard enough trying to make one from scratch on your own. Money will probably never mean power in this game, unless you give it away to the more productive players. The player base and your popularity status with it, is what means true power in this game.

Originally posted by Mikey0114

Lastly, to the bimbo complaining about the screenshots in the post above Salvaoris......those screenshots are the actual screenshots of what the game actually looks like at the moment. And RedBedlam was very clear about it, that they are leaving graphics for last. Not only that, but the graphics resolution, at most is set to 800 x 600 I presume. Why do you wish for RedBedlam to be dishonest and give you great looking screenshots that aren't really what the game currently looks like in beta. Why do you wish for RedBedlam to lie to you, and make things up, instead of being plain and honest. They don't have an attitude, they are being very plain, stating they will not listen to the players complaining about the graphics, because thats of absolute lowest priority, and most of the Roma Victor COmmunity Agrees. So if you feel you are one of those people who would be ignored, try and raise are more important issue, and see how even the Lead Dev himself will probably post in it. Thats how well they look after their community, if your posts have useful issues or  points or whatever, the devs will reply back.....if they are posted on their own Forums. The devs try their best to listen to every single player's thread and discussion. So if you complain about a greater issue, which has not been settled yet, the devs will probably give you more attention. RB's greatest asset is their community, and thats why its so big. Roma Victor's community and future player base has probably been treated the best by RedBedlam, when compared to other Dev teams with a lot more money and employees.

Think before posting by the way next time!

This is lunacy, you end this thread by saying "Think before posting by the way next time!", yet, you clearly didn't read my post...  My gripe isn't about the screenies, it is about the attitude the dev showed...  I may think the screenshots are lacking, but it is my belief that WYSIWYG with RV... 

• KanothKanoth RedBedlam Comm. Mgr.Member Posts: 295

That post by KFR was a bit harsh, but you'll have to forgive him.  I remember emailing him after that...it was around my time...which would be his time, and I believe shortly after his little girl was born.  KFR is usually awake before I am, and still awake after I go to sleep.  He was running on fumes during that post.  But at least he's honest.  And to be truthful, he's right, maybe he could have reworded that a bit, but he does have a point.  We get posts all the time about people wanting to see better screenshots.  We really don’t have the time to cater to that since we're working on getting this thing finished.  We could take a screenshot, open photoshop, and make it look amazing.  But we don’t like to lie.  We want people to see exactly what the game is about, exactly what the testers are seeing, no misleading, just truth.  People usually look at the shots, then without doing any looking around the website, immediately assume the game will be crap and that it'll look like that forever.

You'll find that was the only post out of his 3827 where he was even the least bit rude...and I think he's entitled to be an ass at least once on his boards.    However you are right, it's no excuse to put a post up like that, but at least now you have a bit of background on what may have sparked such a response.  He's a real person, not a copy/paste replier.

"Rome wasn't coded in a day"
    - Kanoth

Yeah I kind of leave mistypes and mistakes behind when I find a post which I don't like. My apologies, I should have been less offending. Anyway, you quoted what I said, and then you say I talked about one thing when I talked about several things....mainly the attitude of the dev team. How does that differ from what you posted? I related to the screenshots and their quality because that was the topic of what RedBedlam was talking about, and you didn't appreciate the way they went about it.

Reading the quoted text of my post, I see that I was clearly talking about how you misunderstood the developer's attitudes towards their own community and what they think is important for a game. Again, I'll repeat what I said above, since RedBedlam was relating to the graphics quality of the sreenshots, I related to them aswell. I went into some unessacary detail, but I think I said quite plainly that they have certain priorities which are over lapped by more important priorities, like including all the features and fixing the remaining bugs as soon as possible.

Roma Victor is not being made to make millions...neither is it really trying to be the best MMORPG out there. It is revolutionary, unique but its not for every player. Your idea of the developer team's attitude is way off....believe me! The developers built this game using suggestions comming from the player base and their community..

..and thats what they were saying:

"Don't bother RedBedlam about graphics, you will just be ignored...bother them about something of greater importance which is less superficial and you will be heard."

How do you find that attitude to be the wrong attitude for making a game. Maybe its not the best attitude for marketing but it is the right attitude to do whats best for the game. There is a large player base waiting for this game....forums are very active everyday, even though we have run out of things to talk about. I am just saying, this game is going to be a game to try out when it is released. I must warn you, its not for everyone, but it should satisfy the Pking players, the hardcore crafters, and especially and most definitley it will get the attention of the Roman History fans....since the role-playing in this game is going to be excellent and authentic.

Anyway, if you read through my previous post again you will see that I was on the same level as you, just this time I went into way more detail, and repeated myself several times.

Sorry for calling you a blonde woman by the way. I just loose my temper when I see posts like those. By the way, do you appreciate my english more. I didn't spend long revising it, so please don't flame me for the possible mistypes/mistakes that may still be present.

HOLD ON! 

KFR post on RV forum? Or here?

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

I think one of the reasons there may not be much 'buzz' is that, from what I've seen, there isn't anything particularly special about the game. Sure there's neat crafting, and the crucifiction thing, and freeform gameplay, but there's nothing revolutionary about the game.

Also I'm guessing that because of the heavy roman setting, it's gonna be a Niche game. As in it's not really meant to appeal to the masses, but more people who like Roman stuff alot.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

Sorry for calling you a blonde woman by the way. I just loose my temper when I see posts like those. By the way, do you appreciate my english more. I didn't spend long revising it, so please don't flame me for the possible mistypes/mistakes that may still be present.

Apology accepted, my post was edited to strike my comments back at you...

And to Kanoth:  It is nice to see devs not doing the whole cookie cutter reply thing, and yes, even software devs are allowed to make an ass out of themselves every once in a while...  Lord knows I have done that too...  As long as that sentiment isn't the 'towing of the company line', then the harsh comments can be overlooked...

• MicaelisMicaelis Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Blurr

I think one of the reasons there may not be much 'buzz' is that, from what I've seen, there isn't anything particularly special about the game. Sure there's neat crafting, and the crucifiction thing, and freeform gameplay, but there's nothing revolutionary about the game.
    Also I'm guessing that because of the heavy roman setting, it's gonna be a Niche game. As in it's not really meant to appeal to the masses, but more people who like Roman stuff alot.

Yes you are right about RV being a niche game....but it still is revolutionary. There is no game like it! And RV is somewhat the future step for MMORPG activities. Though RV isn't aimed at the majority of the community....there is still a large player base, mainly because there are a lot of Roman History fanatics like myself. Though it is aimed to be set in a very hardcore authentic Roman setting....it still puts the RP in MMORPG. Roma Victor, is what people can call a true role playing game, which includes countless features and stuff to do in the MMO is only limited by your imagination. It is something that you can refer to as a sand box, except far more complex. You have the freedom to do what you want. Other then that, it includes some features within it, which have never been tried before and definitley have a place in the future. A great example which blends perfectly with the game is the VERM system.

Anyway, if you research a little more and learn many of the features and possibilities of RV you will understand. Though not everything in their FAQ and such is probably going to happen, a majority of what is in that FAQ is probably in the game already....including the 3000+ NPC army battles. How can you not call that something revolutionary?

I don't know what to put here yet.

• MicaelisMicaelis Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Dis_Ordur

Apology accepted, my post was edited to strike my comments back at you...

And to Kanoth:  It is nice to see devs not doing the whole cookie cutter reply thing, and yes, even software devs are allowed to make an ass out of themselves every once in a while...  Lord knows I have done that too...  As long as that sentiment isn't the 'towing of the company line', then the harsh comments can be overlooked...

He is right though, the RedBedlam developers are really nice guys. And I swear this is true....and many would agree with me....if all the big name dev companties and such had RB's attitude, by now the MMORPG genre would be 10 generations ahead then it is today. Seriously, these guys really care for their player base and listen to the desires of the community, and have tried their best to bring something with quality, with what little they have. RB has gone through money problems and all that, and thats why it looks like a cheap looking MMORPG...but if you look beyond the eye candie, you can see top game quality. Lets just keep in mind that this game is not for everyone.

I don't know what to put here yet.

• korrikenkorriken Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by Blurr

having your own npcs slaves is kinda revolutionary. also an mmo game where you can literally control your own army is kinda revolutionary. truly open pvp might have been done before, but how many games can you burn their city while you take whatever pillage you find?

also.... how many games do the devs actually get involved in the actual game?! revolutionary? maybe not. a rarity? YES!