Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player vs Player in Vanguard?

EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
Anyone know in this game? Or will it strictly be PvE?

Comments

• DroiganDroigan Member Posts: 59

PvE is the main focus of the game, but will have PvP servers at launch.

Will also have additional special ruleset servers (Including PvP ones), but not certain how many of those will be in at launch which is expected later this year (Q4 sometime probably)

• lanphe1rlanphe1r Member Posts: 9

An exciting prospect from many experienced developers, and yet I fear all the big ticket teams are focusing away from open pvp. I hope the good folks at Sigil take the risk of perma-death, even if its restricted to pvp servers. Far too many realms bog down beneath the weight of their immortal players. Game content is devoured, boring players, while shear play-time decides encounters. Bah I've rambled long enough.

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

Originally posted by lanphe1r
    An exciting prospect from many experienced developers, and yet I fear all the big ticket teams are focusing away from open pvp. I hope the good folks at Sigil take the risk of perma-death, even if its restricted to pvp servers. Far too many realms bog down beneath the weight of their immortal players. Game content is devoured, boring players, while shear play-time decides encounters. Bah I've rambled long enough.

LOL i wouldn't hold your breath on that one ::::18:: no way in hell will vanguard have permadeath nor should it IMO.

its just not that type of game man, not that i don't like games with permadeath....i used to love d2 hardcore, until my 99 barb got killed by some lame hack ::::16::

I'm sure a hardcore pvp game out there, that is not item-centric could adapt a permadeath system....but vanguard? defiantly not IMHO..

back on topic.....yeah there will be at least one pvp server at launch but probably more. we don't have any clue what rulesets they will implement yet, we just know there will be pvp...

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

First off, "permadeath" is not a "risk."  It is a concept that has no place in MMORPGs and never will have since is a function of FPS deathmatch games so that you are "out of the game" until the next "round" starts.

MMORPGs are built around playing characters that have longevity and advance in levels and/or skills over a long period of time.  Permanently killing off that type of character in a MMORPG is just plain silly.

Vanguard will have PvP, at least one PvP server at launch, according to the Sigil Devs.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• ShazzelShazzel Member Posts: 472

"Permanently killing off that type of character in a MMORPG is just plain silly"

Didnt EQ have a perma death server for a while? Pretty sure it was a contest of some sort and xp was turned way up. 45 ish cleric won if I remember right, named Storm or something like that.

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

Originally posted by Shazzel
    "Permanently killing off that type of character in a MMORPG is just plain silly"
    Didnt EQ have a perma death server for a while? Pretty sure it was a contest of some sort and xp was turned way up. 45 ish cleric won if I remember right, named Storm or something like that.

i remember that, it was like called discord or something like that.....i think there are defiantly mmo's that could have permadeath, if the game isn't so item-centric it is defiantly possible.

maybe have a game that depends more on the skills of your character than his stats or the stats he gets from items, or make the items all player crafted (besides maybe boss drops) so you can more easily get good gear back after you die and make a new character.

but a game like vanguard? where it is heavily item-centric and extremely time consuming getting your gear?no thanks, it is just not logical to have permadeath servers IMHO.

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• NubaaNubaa Member Posts: 25
    Permadeath can be fun in limited time things like the discord server, but I just don't think it would work on a long-term basis.

Sigil has said they'd be interested in doing a permadeath server maybe sometime in the future, but not at launch. There will be regular pvp servers at launch though.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    permadeath is only cool if it's temporary.  For example,  I think the WoW battlegrounds should have "permadeath" in a sense that once you are dead you can't respawn inside there.  This would make players take PvP more seriously.
  • PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 506

You know what I think is funny? Is when people say "If I die from permadeath I just waisted all that time leveling my character" 

The only thing I gotta say to that is playing games a waist of time in general. You may get the feeling that your accomplishing something when your playing WoW or something but after some time goes by you will stop playing it and your character will be moved down the bench and forgotten.

If you play with an attitude like me and just have fun with the game, even if your character dies and you lose everything. note: notice I didn't say lose the time invested in your character because like I said games are a waist of your time anyways, no way around it. You will have a blast playing a perma death MMO.

I played EQ perma death pvp server when it was out. I had alot of characters bite the dust but from that I got alot of funny stories, friends betraying me, victories I accomplished, etc. Its much more satisfying to defend off an attacker, kill him, and know he wont be just spawning back in.

So I would love any MMO that would throw in a perma death server for people like me who just play games for the stories I get to tell about my characters when im done. Theres a good chance you wont die either if you play smart. Heck, just stay inside most of the time crafting if your scared. It brings alot more realism to actually be afraid of going into a forest instead of running in without worry when you will just respawn if you die.

Thats my speech anyways. It makes no difference to most people because everyone seems so narrow minded anymore.

"Lets get geared out and high level to be able to takes stronger monsters to get BETTER gear which will allow us to kill even higher level monsters which will get you more gear, etc." Am I the only one that gets bored with this?

The only thing you achieve in those type of games is getting to see really big monsters. I think its funny though because the only thing that changes is the look of monsters (and whatever strategy is used to beat them a little but its always really easy strategies). Everytime I see an NPC I just see numbers and code. Thats all they are. Most MMOs are just a math game. Notice everyone has DPS meters and HPS meters, etc. in games now? I get bored with a game of numbers and calculations. Its all becoming to technical and less roleplaying.

Im so off topic its not even funny. Im tired anyways...

• Kem0sabeKem0sabe Member Posts: 443

I think eve online aproached the issue of perma death and harcore pvp quite well.

I think the same system could be adapted to a fantasy setting with a few adjustments, introducing a "soul keeper" type npc, where you could save your current state of experience and skills for an ammount of coin, the more experience and the more skills you had, the more coin it would cost to save them into a "soul gem" (elderscrolls ripoff),  the greater  your skills, the greater the "soul gem" needed to save them, of course, you could choose to save them into a lesser "soul gem" leaving some of your skills or alot of them unsaved, depending on your choice of gem and the ammount of coin you were willing to spend.

If and when you died, you would revert to the state of your most up to date soul gem, beeing born naked into the world so to speak. Then you would have to run back to your corpse and get your equipment if possible.

In a pvp encounter, your equipment would of course be availble to be looted by any of your oponents.

I think a system of this type would make for balanced and exiting pvp.

All ur Mountain Dew is belong to me.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Some very interesting points made here. I would like to see more real roleplaying in new MMORPGs and less, calculation derbies. I realy hated those Rogue movies from WoW, with tons of addons that would make duels way too easy, almoust like cheating.

Pemadeath is realy a controverse idea, I would like to see it done clever in some fantasy MMO, but then again, I guess it would be realy hard, if one wouldn't want to hurt the gameplay. Probably Vanguard isn't the place to do perma-death, but PVP should be done in a way that entering a duel is something worth thinking about, if not death, but then some real damage, in time penalty or some kind of minigame, regarding Gods or similar game mechanics.

Vanguard forums have fare number of people talking about roleplaying, but I hope that all that talk won't turn into WoW, in a sence of items and uber-gear, but only with greatly outnumbered PvE servers number