Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

possible mechwarrior mmog

eaglerangereagleranger Member Posts: 66

i hear that fasa may be making a mechwarrior mmog has anyone heard anything on this???

PS

please cast you vote one way or another  its about three or for post down

i fight the battles other fear

EagleRanger

Comments

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

No I haven't heard anything.

However I just bought a plane ticket to go assasinate you for bringing this up . Now I will have to search for news daily........./cry

Microsoft owns the digital copyrights to the MW universe.

And if they made a MW  mmorpg it would be a very complex endeavor indeed.

You would need an engine that could provide stunning graphics for space and atmospheric battles, which would interact seamlessly with ground based engagments.

A stealth and espionage overlay that can enable ground troops to participate in raids, as well as let mechs/vehicles use gorilla tactics.

Make combat in such a way that tactics win battles just as much as brute force.

Make professions based on the Mechwarrior/Battletech RPG templates, and have them provide a real benefit/asset to the battlegroup by providing bonuses accordingly.

It would of course also have to be set in a very big world to enable all players to interact, and to perform almost all duties normally needed in a Clan/IS base and offensive. All vehicles/mechs/fighters/ships would be set to scale to allow true operability of all systems.

It would need to be a dynamic universe that changes according to the actions of the players

The Capabilities of computers to do all that we dream of is just around the corner. and we need a very big corporation to undertake this to make it as grand as humanly possible. Microsoft gets my vote.

• SONOFAGUNNSONOFAGUNN Member Posts: 414

You do not need a engine to provide stunning graphics.... look at WOW.... graphics are not the best, but the game story and game play more than make-up for it. FASA already had a old rpg game done with all kinds of classes and skills so it may not be as hard as thought.

If this rumour is true I will up my computer to whatever is needed.....

Witty saying to amuse you goes here.

• eaglerangereagleranger Member Posts: 66
           i love to have a mmo based in mechwarrior i loved it as pen and paper i love it when it be came a computer game  i got mechwarrior, mw2, mw titaniaum, mechwarrrior mercinaries then.................. xbox (i love my xbox dont get me wrong) came out with cheesy wantabe  then i thought after beta testing several mmog    mech warrior mmog that would be FANTASTIC but to my surprise  there is no such in development   only rumors

EagleRanger

• SONOFAGUNNSONOFAGUNN Member Posts: 414

You forgot

"WAITING WITH MY CHECKBOOK!!!!!"

I would love a new RPG without a friggin elf in it!!!!

even if it was like COH I would play ......

Witty saying to amuse you goes here.

• KazordanKazordan Member Posts: 14

I have been thinking about this for a long time and dreaming that it would happen.  No idea if anything is in the works or not, but while I was trolling the net, I did look at fasa's website.  On their site, I didn't find anything regarding an MMO or anything specific to MW, but what I did find was that they had job openings listed where they were recruiting game designers to work on an upcoming project for one of their most popular lines of games.

It wasn't specific at all, and I assumed alot from that statement.  But it is possible that they are drumming something up.

I think a Mechwarrior MMO would be something spectacular to behold, I would just pray they didn't screw it up.   I have alot of ideas on things they could implement too, :)  Oh how I would love to lose myself in the Battletech universe.

If I can find that link where I saw the job postings, I will link it.

Originally posted by Kazordan

I have been thinking about this for a long time and dreaming that it would happen.  No idea if anything is in the works or not, but while I was trolling the net, I did look at fasa's website.  On their site, I didn't find anything regarding an MMO or anything specific to MW, but what I did find was that they had job openings listed where they were recruiting game designers to work on an upcoming project for one of their most popular lines of games.
    It wasn't specific at all, and I assumed alot from that statement.  But it is possible that they are drumming something up.
    I think a Mechwarrior MMO would be something spectacular to behold, I would just pray they didn't screw it up.   I have alot of ideas on things they could implement too, :)  Oh how I would love to lose myself in the Battletech universe.
    If I can find that link where I saw the job postings, I will link it.

Found it:  http://fasastudio.com/about_fasa/Employment.htm

Again, hard to tell if this is something for the Xbox or the PC.  Crossing my fingers that it is an MMO based on the pen and paper Mechwarrior and table top Battletech series, and following in the footsteps of the Mechwarrior video game series.

Heck, I would be happy to see them come out with Mechwarrior 5 at this point.  Not like there are many games out right now which peak my interest.

OMG....awsome find Kazordan. Major truckloads of kudos ^^

One thing is for certain. I will now attempt to start an Email campaign to FASA to help them to realize that if they make a Mechwarrior mmorpg, that it needs to have all options on the table. And it needs to be as engaging and flexible as the P&P version.

I want to be able to do a strafing run in a fighter.

Captain or participate in orbital bombardment of the battlefield, while engaging an enemy ship.

Perform Espionage/Sabotage/Missions in a Cage battlesuit, or Elemental armor. Perform hit and run engagments against the enemy. Bring down an Atlas with a well placed Satchel charge. Set up fortifications against an enemy attack. Pilot vehicles/tanks. Use areas that have magnetic/thermal interference to hide/surprise/run from an enemy.

Perform Hot drops into a combat zone.

Use the perk system from MW to enhance abilities of players.

And oh so much more......

Originally posted by grndzro

OMG....awsome find Kazordan. Major truckloads of kudos ^^
    One thing is for certain. I will now attempt to start an Email campaign to FASA to help them to realize that if they make a Mechwarrior mmorpg, that it needs to have all options on the table. And it needs to be as engaging and flexible as the P&P version.
    I want to be able to do a strafing run in a fighter.
    Captain or participate in orbital bombardment of the battlefield, while engaging an enemy ship.
    Perform Espionage/Sabotage/Missions in a Cage battlesuit, or Elemental armor. Perform hit and run engagments against the enemy. Bring down an Atlas with a well placed Satchel charge. Set up fortifications against an enemy attack. Pilot vehicles/tanks. Use areas that have magnetic/thermal interference to hide/surprise/run from an enemy.
    Perform Hot drops into a combat zone.
    Use the perk system from MW to enhance abilities of players.
    And oh so much more......

Thanks, :)  And if you start something which you need others to join, send me a PM on MMORPG and I will gladly jump on the bandwagon.  I always thought that Mechwarrior Mercenaries could have been a great persistent world type game, at the time, MMO's were pretty early in their days.

Shadowrun and Mega Traveller were also games I thought would be great as an MMO.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360
    Fasa is working on a few games, but nothing
    mechwarrior related. they won't say what they are, but they dont mind telling
    us what they aren't. See tryptic's post  HERE  for the most recent rumor debunking. It's
    interesting that he mentions how cool it would be to have a game similar to EVE
    online, set in the mechwarrior universe.

Microsoft may have even decided to put their newfound cash-cow out to pasture
    as well, saying that there are no current plans for a new iteration of
    mechassault. There is however, a bit of buzz about a mechwarrior darkage game
    for PC in the works. My guess would be something more mechcommander than
    mechwarrior.. and set in dark age just to put a stink on it.

The only shiny new 'mechs in game that I am aware of, is some kind of
    mechassault thing for the nintendo DS. I think seeing this microsoft owned
    property on Nintendo hardware speaks volumes about their current plans for the
    franchise. I guess the sad fact is that mechwarrior isn’t dying, it's dead..
    and Bill Gates and Jordan Wiesman are just the vultures feeding on it's bloated
    corpse. But... I remain one of the faithful. I have to believe we will
    eventually see a new mechwarrior title... but i think we have a long wait.

In  the mean time.. stop by our forums for all the mechwarrior rumors fit
    to print… though they may be few and far between these days ;)

Man, that is truly heartbreaking.  The possibilities out there that the Battletech Universe could offer are must mind boggling.

Hope this changes in the future because a Mechwarrior MMO would be so incredible.

Keep in mind that Tryptic said he left Fasa over a year ago. I would venture to guess that if somthing is now ramping up that he would have little to no knowledge of it.

I will stay optimistic till Hard evidence proves otherwise, Untill then I implore ppl to write Fasa about their interest in a MW mmorpg. If it isn't in the works then the only thing that will make it so is an email campaign.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360
    Tryptic left fasa, but he just moved down the hall. Being an old school fasa guy, from befor microsoft times.. I'm sure he is still in the loop. There are a few people "in the know" that still post over at DSC or mektek, and the news is never good. The only time we really see any of them posting since they announced mech5 being canned, it is to flatly deny work on anything mechwarrior related. They have always been an oddly tigh-lipped bunch... never wanting to tell us what they were working on. But they have now said publicly that that they arent working on a mech game. A lot of people believe they are working on something shadowrun related.

Those job postings on the fasa page seem to be perpetual. There was even a job ad on microsoft.com a few months ago that specifically mentioned mechwarrior5. They did post on DSC saying it was an old ad, from before they canned the game and someone mistakenly put back up. It was then removed and replaced with one for fasa studio seeking someone for something apparently xbox related.

Damn that is pretty dismal news.  I didn't know he was still in the loop(or near it)
  • JointnessJointness Member Posts: 25

war>mech

well if they are unwilling to do a mech warrior mmog  they could do a starseige mmog and it would be almost identical to mw does anyone remember   starseige that was before they came out with tribes and tribes 2  and it wasnt as buggy as mw i love that one to they had mechs equal to mw and just as fun

and thanks everyone for posting i dont feel so insane for wanting a mmog of mechs  there is some thing about missle barages and emp cannons  railguns as large mech armies battle for control of planets and cities

ps if you start a email campain please count me in give me a pm

EagleRanger

• TherumancerTherumancer Member Posts: 44

All told I'm not totally thrilled with the BT Universe but in my search for a great sci-fi RPG it would be better than nothing.

If they could create a game that somehow involved seamless play both in and out of mecha and things to do both ways it would be great.

All told the big question I'd have would be how you would go about questing and doing a lot of comeplling PVE stuff in a straight "Battletech" game. If they want to turn it into a PVP fest they already have that via the multiplayer modes in the existing games and honestly I can't see there being much appeal for it. All an MMO would be is a new label put on a matchmaking service for yet another Mechwarrior PC game with better graphics.

I see the potential for the genere, say if someone could make a MMO out of the roguelike "Gearhead" (albeit with graphics as opposed to ASCII) but they would do better to create their own universe and to set it up so you'd have more varied opponents than really exist in Battletech where all you really do is blow up other humans in various styles of mechs endlessly.

>>>----Therumancer--->

i believe that if they do it right it would have a large fan base if the put in  space battles , planet entry, tanks, powersuits, building bases ,engineers, repair people,,,clan vs intersphere

i think you would be surprised at the fan base it would pull

EagleRanger

im just bumping this so those who might have missed it can respond

EagleRanger

• BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262
    There's been to date two seperate Battletech MMO's. The original ran on the GEnie service in the early 90's, and was simply called Multi-Player Battletech and was designed using the code for the original Mechwarrior game with some rather extensive modifications. It was a total blast to play and one of the best MMO's that I've ever played. Then there was Multi-Player Battletech: Solaris, which ran mid to late 90's and was a completely new engine, where they upgraded from the the EGA to VGA graphics and you could now control your battlemech with a joystick. Solaris was supposed to be a test for what would eveentually be Multi-Player Battletech: 3025, which never did happen. Kesmai studios the company that created both games was bought by Electronic Arts. They started to develop 3025 and it got so far as a beta and then Kesmai studios was completely disbanded with the beta test brought to an abrupt end and no comment as to why being given by staff at Electronic Arts.

There's alot of rumor and speculation that the reasons behind it were licensing agreements that clashed between Microsoft and Electronic Arts, but no one really knows for certain. As it stands no one really knows for certain who owns the rights to the online game and if someone does know no one is saying, although speculation remains that ball currently sits in Microsoft's court. Keep in mind licenses also are not a permanent thing, and the actual "Battletech" name is owned currently by Wizkids not Fasa studios which is a name only.

On the bright side of the fence there is however a small group of people that were working freelance on a Battletech MMO in the spirit of the original Multi-Player Battletech line. It's called Inner Sphere 3025 and based one hundred percent on Classic Battletech.

Site URL is www.is3025.com

They've been testing and working on this for quite a while. It's interesting stuff but whether or not these guys actually make it or not remains to be seen, although I wish them the absolute very best. I'd love to be able to run around in a Battlemech again and play in the Battletech universe myself.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

Site URL is www.is3025.com

They've been testing and working on this for quite a while. It's interesting stuff but whether or not these guys actually make it or not remains to be seen, although I wish them the absolute very best. I'd love to be able to run around in a Battlemech again and play in the Battletech universe myself.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i checked out the site i like what they are doing they are trying to have something to try by the end of april im going to continue to keep a eye on this site at least they are trying to do something

EagleRanger

• LietzaLietza Member Posts: 2

I would love to play a Mechwarrior MMO I used to play mechwarrior black Knight even still have it loaded on my computer have all the expansions of the game loaded too.... So a mech warrior mmo would be so kewl......

Lietza
    Jumpgate
    Admiral
    The Lode Star

• FranicFranic Member Posts: 6

I honestly cant believe that a Mechwarrior MMO has NOT been made yet.  I know there were the old ones that came out a while back, but Im talking about one more based on the mechwarrior engines that most people know.  A persistent universe version of MW would have SOOO many followers with the ability to attack and defend different planets, with changing front lines, etc would just be so great.  there is so much that could be done and the universe is already mapped out, they just need to build it.

no mechwarrior makes baby Jebus cry.  

• LuRaviLuRavi Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Fasa went out of business more than ayear ago and sold the book rights to whizkids and the minitaure tabletop game rights as well.
    yea i was hoping that they would come out with a persistant world for mw so far i cant see that it is going to happen

EagleRanger

• yangachiyangachi Member Posts: 6
    Mechwarrior fans would probably enjoy Space Cowboy Online.  Here's a video of the game to see for yourself - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7753952584198055409