Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dead Game

infra172infra172 Member UncommonPosts: 145

I've been right about everything until now.  I have a few predictions:

A release date for the Chronicle will be announced for the summer or Christmas season.

This release date will pass without the game being released.

The game will be cancelled.

Rapid Reality will be shut down.

Nobody who preordered will get their money back.

Former Rapid Reality employees will begin a new, more honest career by calling elderly people and telling them they've won a Canadian sweepstakes and the money will be delivered as soon as they pay the taxes.  Others will whore themselves on the streets of Atlanta.

Lets see how many I get right.

blank

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    heheh this site is horrible... double post because this one posted completely blank the first time.

Joined - July 2004

I wouldn't start crying dead game just yet. RR has stated that they are going to E3 this year. As long as RR shows off either some type of gameplay video, complete with combat and UI, or a playable demo, I'll have the confidence to say that TC will see the light of day. Until then any assumptions about vaporware are just that, assumptions.

Joined - July 2004

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by infra172

A release date for the Chronicle will be announced for the summer or Christmas season.
    Former Rapid Reality employees will begin a new, more honest career by calling elderly people and telling them they've won a Canadian sweepstakes and the money will be delivered as soon as they pay the taxes.  Others will whore themselves on the streets of Atlanta.

Are you a betting man?

I, myself, am a betting man.  Not only do I enjoy betting, I LOVE to bet when
    I'm positive I have more information and can win easily.

So, I'll ask again.  Are you a betting man?

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• FergRedbeardFergRedbeard Member Posts: 69

I'm a betting man!  

but I'm also broke....which tells you about my betting skillz...

Once you see the CM's poker face, you may want to reconsider. His blank stare makes the most seasoned of gamblers cringe, and babies cry within a 30 mile radius. Careful! heheh.

Joined - July 2004

• DeletedAcctDeletedAcct Member Posts: 883
    It figures. The game I won a free preorder for and it might disappear. Oh well, least I didn't pay for it
  • BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002

Hey, Zorvan, you're right, the game's doomed to fail. Look at all the posts on this forum. Everyone agrees. This game's dead.

But... If you want, I can take that pre-order off your hands for ya. 

• fulmanfufulmanfu Member Posts: 1,523

Post edited by Dekron

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

P2P transactions are not allowed to be posted on the boards.  PM or email one another if you wish to do so.

doomed to fail declares the doomsayer.....

well so is humanity....minor detail

• avelekavelek Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by CaesarsGhost

Originally posted by infra172

Are you a betting man?

I, myself, am a betting man.  Not only do I enjoy betting, I LOVE to bet when I'm positive I have more information and can win easily.

So, I'll ask again.  Are you a betting man?

If you're bluffing, expect a flaming bag of something on your porch
  • shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Since when do a few articles, screenies and a minimal website make a game ???

I don't think anyone can say positively what will happen with this game, if anything at all for that matter.

As far as I'm concerned the community voices for mmocenter kinda lost my faith awhile back  but certainly, they could care less I'm sure.

All anyone can judge a development team by is what you've seen up to certain point and what I've seen so far is not by any means exciting and or inspiring. For a community to grow and be a positive environment, there has be effort on both sides, why would I want to throw myself into a community for a game still at the very begining of production when they could care a hoot about me in the first place.

So... I certainly hope the best for The Chronicle, from what little I've read the devs have some great "ideas" and I for one would love to see a game based on inspired ideas for once but again, a few articles, screenies and a minimal website do not make a game, no matter how much you wish it to be so.

• fulmanfufulmanfu Member Posts: 1,523

hey don't give the community reps a bad name.
    they are very very good at doing 3 things

1. telling you how much they know and play but then not telling you what they know or showing you what they play.
    2. bashing their fanbase as an excuse not to give out more info on the game(which they obviously don't have)
    3. blowing smoke up your ass

• bverjibverji Member UncommonPosts: 722

Originally posted by shae

As far as I'm concerned the community voices for mmocenter kinda lost my faith awhile back  but certainly, they could care less I'm sure.
    All anyone can judge a development team by is what you've seen up to certain point and what I've seen so far is not by any means exciting and or inspiring.

I think this is a well stated summary of how the critics feel.
    So, is the general consensus that, because they're not giving you information, they're obviously lying and there is no game?

"But... But... Other games gave me information!!!"

Fantastic. But RR's concern at the moment isn't convincing the people on MMORPG.com that they're making a game.

• DeletedAcctDeletedAcct Member Posts: 883
    I agree Bissrok. There is no way to know for sure what they plan to do until they do. And no, you may not have my pre-order, just in case

Originally posted by Bissrok
    So, is the general consensus that, because they're not giving you information, they're obviously lying and there is no game?

Fantastic. But RR's concern at the moment isn't convincing the people on MMORPG.com that they're making a game.

You know, I was thinking of a way to defend my earlier statement after having read this question, when I realized that it's a damn fine point.

My expectations of a development team that wants a strong, powerful following for an upcomming game is one that shares openly with it's members, that releases ton's of information, holds public IRC chats, podcasts, missions statements, hires a community manager that isn't sarcastic and cares about those that are following closely.

But then of course, after reading the prior-mentioned question, I remembered that those were just that, my expectations.  Who am I to expect those things ? What gives me that right ? It's what I want sure, but is RR in any way responsible or obligated to provide to such demands.

Of course not.

That means that I don't have support them in return naturally, but maybe that's what they want, maybe they don't want the pain and hassle of managing a strong community, perhaps they just couldn't be bothered at the moment.

It's true that if I were the community manager, I'd probably go a different route, but I'm not so all I can do is sit back and watch patiently, give the devotion (as a player) that I feel they deserve and reserve judgement on the game itself (not the community relations) untill it's released and played.

I guess, when it comes down to it, if I hadn't pre-ordered, I wouldn't be hanging around waiting for the game. Community wise, I don't like the way they're handling things. But from what I hear, there's a reason for it. But, I can't say why, or how I would know that there are reasons, that I don't know, because I'm not sure how far the NDA reaches.

I hope it's a good reason, because they're pissing a lot of people off by doing this. But, the game is being made.... God, I hate talking about this game off of the beta boards. All they'll let us say outside of the boards is "There is a game. The game might be called The Chronicle". Everytime I write something, I think about it, and have to erase it because it came off the beta site...

If you didn't pre-order, um... wait a little bit. It'll get there eventually. It sounds like it'll be worth the wait.

I feel for you there Biss, I really do.

I myself am involved with a pretty heavy handed Beta game at the moment. I sit there, test and play, speak with the dev's on the beta forums, thinking every moment to myself that this is by far the best MMO I've ever touched, hands down, no comparison and I've played them all. And this is in BETA !!!

But still, I can't say a word, I want to scream it from the mountain tops to all my fellow gamers and MMO lovers, I want to tell them that their faith in the MMO genre will completely re-instilled by just simply listening and experiencing this game... but still, I can't.

What can you do ? All you can hope for is that the powers that be have some idea of what their doing and that they don't completely mess up a project you have passion for.

Originally posted by Bissrok

It's not just about the absence of information. This isn't like WOW, COh, DnD being pushed back and I think it's unfair to trivialize the situation in that light. While the Op's statemnets my be overdone they are far from baseless. This is a company whose business modle was to make games quickly, sold pre-orders based upon that fact and a beta by the end of 2005. Offered a refund while claiming a delay of at the latest of febuary. Never publicly updated that statment and refused to refund after that date wasn't meet. Has had a total change in the openess between the community and company after they began delaying and began using rhetoric commonly associated with companies who are in trouble with their development. Beyond that the company continues to commit themselves to a number of other projects claimimg it will have no affect on TC after they stalled the development process on another of thier games for that particular stated reason. The 20 year old lead designer has on multipule occasions illustrated a serious lack of understanding about where in the process TC actually is. The company has fallen very very short of there own expectations for their buiesness model; why should there be any expectation that they won't fall short of their design model as well.

This is just the tip of the iceburge; there are many other reasons to believe RR is being dishonest and in more trouble then they are admitting to. As for not wanting to nurture a community...fine then don't go throught the trouble of a publicity campaign and soliciating money from people until as a developer your ready to commit to nurturing a community. Once they made those obligations not following through with them tends to tell alot about the structure of a company. A complete difference in the games made by blizzared, NCsoft and SOE and the interaction/respect for the community goes along way to illustrating the quality of those games.

People like the ideas for the game and want to have faith that it will be successful, I get that, all the more power to them. However, if people are going to get disgruntled (not saying you are bissy, but there are many that get that way) because others point out the shortfalls of the company on a public forum  that's just being argumentative and inviting flamewars.

I'm quite enjoying the flamewars....it's amazing to see so much said over just this one topic...

carry on...

Originally posted by FergRedbeard

I'm quite enjoying the flamewars....it's amazing to see so much said over just this one topic...
    carry on...

You call this a flamewar ? Might I suggest you visit http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com , visit any of the realms forums so that you can educate yourself on what a flamewar truly is.

So far as I can see, this has been a fairly composed discussion on The Chronicles, one that could easily be laid to rest if a community rep decided to come in and have an honest, non sarcastic discussion with people who's concern's are quite valid.

Or, alternatively, they could let the entire subject simmer until it's no longer a community concern but a monkey on the back of the development team that they'll have a much harder time shaking in a few months time.

It's called PR people, learn about it.

if you want to quote someone....look at the last sentence of the post right before mine...I was facetiously quoting someone else...I'm rarely serious...and seldom do I care...

P.S. I lived on the warcraft forums long long long time ago since before launch....been there done that thanks for the advice but no thanks have a good day and bottoms up

So far as I can see, this has been a fairly composed discussion on The Chronicles, one that could easily be laid to rest if a community rep decided to come in and have an honest, non sarcastic discussion with people who's concern's are quite valid.
    Or, alternatively, they could let the entire subject simmer until it's no longer a community concern but a monkey on the back of the development team that they'll have a much harder time shaking in a few months time.

They're already past that point. The community (what there is of it) has already been mishandled to the point that even if the game comes out and is good the company has created an uphill battle that it can't overcome.
  • diagonaltiediagonaltie Member Posts: 4
    I haven't shelled out any money on a pre-order, but I'm starting to have doubts about the eventual existence of this game. It would pay off dividends for RR to release a little more information about this game and it's state.

On the other hand it appears to be an innovative and ambitious project, and I'm definitely hoping to see them come through and make it happen.