Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so slow??

MisterFisherMisterFisher Member Posts: 1

Ok so i saw an add on some gamesite and couldnt help myself. I looked through the site and tried the trial. And the graphics are awesome (very different from WOW). But is the game going to stay so slow or will there actually be some fast action and if there is, is it a little balanced?

i mean u dont have to travel for an hour to fight for a minute and the travel again.

Comments

• SobaManSobaMan Member Posts: 384

1) the trial doesn't do Eve any justice.

2) the game does get better.  You have to know what you're doing in it before you can do anything in it though.  And, yes, you may have to travel for an hour for a minute long fight and then travel back, but the fights in Eve are worth the travel.  Yes, PvP is balanced.  Ship set-ups are the key to success.  The modules allow for "the balance," but they also allow you to have an advantage.  Eve's PvP is the best form of PvP I've found outside of FPSs.

3) just stick it out.  make some friends.  there's not a single person that's been playing Eve for longer than a year that will tell you they got to where they are quickly.  you'll need the friends to help with the enjoyment while you get to where you want to be, and once you get to where you want to be... take it farther.

4) if you're looking for a fast paced, easy path to "end-game," standerdized classes and races type game... Eve is not for you.  You must be patient for Eve because you'll only start to have full effect a few months into the game.  This game has no "grind."

We can agree to disagree, or we can bicker constantly... either way, I'm right.
    SobaKai.com
    There are two types of people in this world - people that suck... and me.
  • ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

It is a tough game to break into, especially if you are a solo player.   The missions, and the mining are not enough to carry this game.   I think if you join this game with a single player attitude you'll run out of steam fast.    I find the missions almost as tedious as the mining.  

I believe the real prize in this game is the co-operative PvP play in low security areas.   Everything at this stage of the game has more value and excitement, especially if you are in a well run Corporation/Alliance.   If you can get a "job" with a Large corporation, promise them your loyalty and accept thier tutalege.  You will have fun.   The combat system is designed such that even the lowly frigate pilot has a place in battle.    I would submit yourself to a Corporation as a blank canvas.  Offer to train your skills as they desire and need.    If you need convincing as to how exciting team pvp  can be, see if you can get onto a corp's teamspeak channel.   Simply listen in to how they deal with a threat in their home system.   The tactics and strategy involved in tracking multiple skilled pirates is incredibly complex and exciting even to listen too.  

If you find yourself getting bored w/ mining, stop mining.   Same goes for missions and such.   Just pick a skill that requires a day or two, train it and take a break.

My two cents anyway.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

If you are used to rapid advancement Eve will always seem slow. Once you have some of the basic skills set up and it won't take as long as it seems really, things will speed up in the combat engagements and mining production speeds but the skills only take longer and longer as you advance. There are books for learning skills. Skill them up, the attributes of your toon determine speeds in other skills.

Another trick that works for transit is to warp to gates/bases with a shuttle, cap speed and move to 0M, keep going 12km the opposite side and bookmark by from2location. This will allow you to use a bookmark to warp on top of gates etc, saving massive amounts of time. Only practicle for routes you use alot but is worth the time.

• DrunkenWDrunkenW Member Posts: 250

Not much to add to valiumsummer's great disription of eve.

You might want to consider what kind of gamer you are. Eve requires a great deal of time to get into. 

• PantasticPantastic Member Posts: 1,204
    Yes, that's the single biggest reason why I quit eve; the ratio of time actually doing interesting things to time spent flying from one place to another, scanning around for another player, or shipping stuff around to get your ship outfitted is really bad. The current set of responders in this thread seem to be saying that it changes, but it just doesn't. 1 minute to 1 hour is probably too low of an estimate, but I wouldn't be suprised if the actual ratio is something like 5 minutes of interesting time per hour of pure timesink. If that doesn't sound like fun gaming to you, well, that's the benefit of a free trial.

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Originally posted by Pantastic
    Yes, that's the single biggest reason why I quit eve; the ratio of time actually doing interesting things to time spent flying from one place to another, scanning around for another player, or shipping stuff around to get your ship outfitted is really bad. The current set of responders in this thread seem to be saying that it changes, but it just doesn't. 1 minute to 1 hour is probably too low of an estimate, but I wouldn't be suprised if the actual ratio is something like 5 minutes of interesting time per hour of pure timesink. If that doesn't sound like fun gaming to you, well, that's the benefit of a free trial.

Why do people always like to contradict other people who know more then them. If more expirienced people come in and they say that once you get into the real part of the game; outside of running missions and killing NPCs and move to 0.0 pace increases ten fold.

But what would we people who played EVE for years know about it? Ofcourse you who played for X weeks would know a lot more. Aside from that if you don't play EVE and think it is so slow why do you come to EVE forum section? Go look at WoW or something that would fit your IQ level better.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Originally posted by Urza123

Why do people always like to contradict other people who know more then them. If more expirienced people come in and they say that once you get into the real part of the game; outside of running missions and killing NPCs and move to 0.0 pace increases ten fold.

But what would we people who played EVE for years know about it? Ofcourse you who played for X weeks would know a lot more. Aside from that if you don't play EVE and think it is so slow why do you come to EVE forum section? Go look at WoW or something that would fit your IQ level better.

Umm, I think your kind of missing the Point Urza..

"But what would we people who played EVE for years know about it?"
    Playing for years isn't an option to the sort of gameplay you refer to, it's prerequisite. That makes eve a slow game.

Calling people stupid because they aren't up for 9 months of mining and missioning while they skill up is a bit much. Most who come to Eve will have come with WoW like experience behind them. I like Eve, I like WoW. They don't play the same, neither is 'stupid'.

One point that was sort of introduced, Eve has a trial. Use it. If you like, buy, if you don't, try something else. Fast paced, twitch combat space sims are your thing? Freelancer is perfect and the online version is free. Turning Eve into this would wreck it.

"Yes, that's the single biggest reason why I quit eve"

If Eve style and pace doesn't seem enjoyable to you, quitting is better than the declaration of a failed game. I also quit Eve and came back. Not because it was slow but because I found myself spinning my wheels. Many years ago, Eve didn't have the fleets of super power players that it has now. All games that mature face this divide in skill and collision of skill levels. From what I have seen of any game I play like or not like Eve, keeping the noobs away from the Vets is impossible and as such, a small number of vets will feed on the noobs and it causes resentments. Vice Versa, noobs will wander into areas they shouldn't be in. Nobody else has found a solution, if Eve does, they will be doing the ground breaking.

It's not a matter of "more experienced" people coming in, it's a matter of contradicting an EVE fanboy giving someme a false impression of the game. I'm not just basing my opinion on what I did, I'm basing it on the consistent descriptions of EVE gameplay from other people who've played far longer than I have. Plus, I played for something between 2 and 3 months. Even if I take your description of later gameplay as completely true, how many months or years will the original posted spend paying money to be bored while he gets to that point? I regard spending 1 month playing a game that I find boring to be way too much, and to actually pay in order to play for that time as just completely insane, and I suspect the OP agrees.

One of the most telling discussions for me was a thread I read on the EVE forums about the big incursion from one of the Merc corps into Goonfleet space - it was hours of the two fleets warping around between various points without actually engaging each other. And that was after the merc fleet spent a significant amount of time assembling, flying to Goonfleet space, and of course the setup time where they mined/ratted/etc to be able to buy the ship or buy blueprints + manufacture a ship, and so on. There was a thread here a little while back where someome posted a story that summed up why they liked eve - and the story had basically nothing in it about what you'd actually spend time doing in game, it summed up some broader events and mentiond some combat, but not what you'd do in game. The EVE fans said that you needed to be able to look beyond what you'd actually be doing in the game to enjoy EVE, which doesn't appear to be what the original poster wants to do.

I'll tell you what, in your years of playing EVE, what's the ratio of time spent on actual combat (ships firing at each other or maneuvering on the tactical map) to other time (mining, ratting, hauling stuff around, getting from one system to another, warping to various spots in a system and scanning to try to find the other fleet, etc.)? Note that while a lot of pure fanboys can't distinguish an answer from a non-answer, 'it's better than in the tutorial' is simply evasive and 'go play WOW, it fits your IQ better' is just a nonsequitor. Obviously you don't keep minute by minute logs, so just in broad terms: does the action the original poster is looking for account for more than 5-10% of your total gametime? (not your last session or anything like that, but the total hours you've spent on the game).

The reason I go to the EVE forums here is simple; it's a forum for discussion of the game, not a forum where fanboys sing the praises of the game and no one says a single word disparaging it. If the OP just wanted the opinion of people who play the games, he could post on the official boards where you can only post with an active account. As I've pointed out to fanatics before, if your game is really so amazing then you should have no problem with someome criticizing it because you could just show them wrong by pointing out the good stuff.

I would have to say that WOW did fit my IQ better, since I enjoyed it up to a point back while I played it and I'm much too smart to spend moeny on a game in which 90% or more of my game time is spend doing things I find boring. I guess I'll just need to stick to those easy little low-IQ games like Civilization IV while all you super-geniuses spend hours watching your "Warp Drive Active" screensaver. My IQ just isn't "high" enough to comprehend paying money to be bored, I guess I'll just stick to being paid for doing boring stuff (in a "job") and spending my money for entertainment that actually entertains.

• LallanteLallante Member Posts: 121
    [quote] would have to say that WOW did fit my IQ better[/quote]

The defence rests.

• WrayethWrayeth Member Posts: 229

The amount of time you spend carebearing vs. the amount of time you spend PvPing is pretty much what you make of it.   Most PvPers go on a carebearing rampage for two weeks at a time (or some similar animal), and the money they make during that time lasts them months during which they carebear very little or not all.

Moreover, your choice of ships helps determine how much time you spend PvPing vs. making money.  Right now, with insurance to help, I can afford to lose about eight battleships before I'll have to take a break from PvP.  If I was to use cruisers, on the other hand, I could afford about a hundred of them.  Frigates?  Literally thousands - tech 1 frigates are cheap.  (Side note: though the smaller ships lack firepower individually, in swarms they can be deadly.)

Basically, EVE is what you make of it.  It's your choice as to how you play, what you do to make ISK, and how often you PvP.  There are people who've gotten into PvP and/or piracy during their trial periods.

-Wrayeth
    "Look, pa! I just contributed absolutely nothing to this thread!"

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Originally posted by Lallante
    [quote] would have to say that WOW did fit my IQ better[/quote]

The defence rests.

ROFLMAO! This is a sig. material right there.

I agree with pantastic.

This is my second go w/ EvE.   I quit way back in Summer of '03 after being there for launch.   I had two accounts and took the mining route.   I had mined for 3 months to get a bestower fitted with cargo expanders that cost me 15 million each.   I spent all that isk just to get a better industrial to ferry my ore back to the station.   I suddenly realized how much mining I would have to do to get my next big "thang" the battleship (which by this time was just starting to appear).   MoO was terrorizing  low security areas (which was fun to read about) but I didn't have the stomach or sthe skills to PvP.     I completely hit a wall, lost interest and quit.   The game called to me repeatedly  for the next 2.5 years.   I just never went back because I was sure that the time lost could never be made up...

... And now Back for 4 weeks.     I get bored plenty.    But this time I think i'll stick with it.   I'm interested in developing two brand new characters that I am incubating  from scratch.   I'm playing my old characters while the two new ones train all there primary and secondary learning skills.    I'm paying monthly on 2 accounts, and purchased two "power of two" accounts for 6 months each, essentially giving me the ability to train 4 characters at the same time.    Even though my old characters attributes are geared towards fighting they were trained (and will continue to be trianed) in industry.   My hopes is to have them both trained and mining with Covetors (mining bardges).    One of the new Characters is going to be trained as a fighter, the second new character is going to be support role.    I'm going to purchase a second computer and have them set up so I can actually run 4 accounts at once.    My nerd meter is now totally pegged and any chance at me getting laid is gone...forever.

Anyways...

The game now is almost as interesting as a study as it is to play.   I find just reading about stats and items and load outs and strategies offline is what is fueling my interest.   I'm not venturing into 0.0 yet.   Everytime I get 35million saved up i buy Basic implants.    With 4 characters I have alot of implants to buy, but I feel the implants are  necessary to get these guys rolling.   This makes going into 0.0 too scary at the moment (I have already lost a character in 0.0 with implants (just cheap ones).    So until i can get their advance learning skills trained I'm not going to risk losing the implants I have for them.   

The game does get slow.     

I  hope someday to acquire a 30-40 million skillpoint character to use as a pirate alt.   Even if I have to trade $1500 bucks worth of Eve time cards to do it.  

Originally posted by ValiumSummer  
    I  hope someday to acquire a 30-40 million skillpoint character to use as a pirate alt.   Even if I have to trade $1500 bucks worth of Eve time cards to do it.  

While having 30-40 millions skillpoints would be nice, you don't need anywhere near that amount to pirate or PvP effectively.  I was PvPing in battleships at 10 million skillpoints and kicking some ass (I killed a 28 million skillpoint character who was also in a battleship through superior fitting and tactics, for instance), and am doing even better now that I have 22 million skillpoints.  For the smaller ships, such as frigs and cruisers, you don't even need 10 million skillpoints to PvP effectively - you can kick ass inside three months in an assault frig, probably even in just two.

The thing to remember with EVE is that you can be useful, though not uber, in PvP almost from the very beginning.  A frigate with a microwarpdrive, warp scrambler, and stasis webifier is invaluable in group ops to run in and hold your opponent in place while the group kills him.

-Wrayeth

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

while all you super-geniuses spend hours watching your "Warp Drive Active" screensaver

Yeah. You're trying to be sarcastic but apperantly your IQ isn't high enough to figure out why I can move 42 systems w/ a Bestower (what... 200m/s speed?) in under an hour.

**bows to your superiority**

Writing well and IQ don't go hand and hand. Ever read something written by Einstein or Hawking? Yeah, I didn't think so.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
    Notice how the EVE fanatics are too busy patting each other on the back and telling each other how lovely their IQs are to actually answer the key points? Again, for the OP, I'd be suprised if you spend as much as 10% of your game time on the action you find interesting, especailly your game time in the first few months of playing.

The insults from EVE (or any game, really) fanatics are always amusing, it's really worth positing just to see some of them in action. Using 'you liked this other game that I don't like' as an insult is just astounding, and 'you must be dumb if you don't like what I like' is classic. Posters patting each other on the back about how clever they are is just icing on the cake. Come on guys, it's a game, not rocket science.

And Snakey, apply your EVE-IQ to comprehending the material you quoted before trying to be crafty on it; I didn't say that a single trip would take multiple hours like you seem to believe. Also, while it's been a while since I've read any Einstein or Hawking (or since my days of actually doing relativistic calculations, ahh college), I don't remember thier writing being at all bad, so I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at there.

Thanks for the Encouragement Wrayeth.

I'm really looking forwards to having the two new characters I created "graduate college" so to speak.    When they are finished, I won't have anything to concern myself with except actual skills.     

Once I get my two original guys running dual Mining barges, I hope to mine just enough to keep the two new guys well stocked.   I expect after 6 months I will transfer the 2 new characters over to my two original accounts.  And then limit the training on my two industrial characters.

I think  a large portion of the people who don't appreciate this game fail to cross over the PvP hump.   PvP in this game is scary, unsettling and often very costly to the faint hearted.   I fall into that category definatly.   When you spend so much time doing something boring and tedious to get a nice new ship, you are reluctant to risk that ship, even if it means not having fun in the process.   The result is a loss of interest.    I realized one day that it wasn't about being in the best ship, having the best equipment.   It was about equiping yourself with decent stuff, but not extravagent stuff for pvp.   Losing a t1 industrial isn't the end of the world, but if you had it equiped with 5 x 40,000,000 isk hull expanders...then yeah.   Time to go shoot yourself.   I don't buy such things anymore.   Even today I have shot myself in the foot somewhat, going against my own new mentality.   Using isk gifts from old corp mates, and mining my butt off with two accounts, I have managed to equip my characters with 2 basic implants each.    Now if both characters get  podded in 0.0 space I lose 160,000,000 in implants.     Thats my own fault.   Once I'm done w/ advanced learning skills I won't buy such implants again, because it hinders my willingness to have fun in the game.      So now doink around w/ missions waiting for the learning skills on all 4 characters and do alot of research. 

To Pantastic:  

You make some valid points.    Some people play chess online, and make 1 move a day or week.   It is something to occupy thier mind.   The time spent preparing for war often exceeds the war itself.    

• freebirdpatfreebirdpat Member Posts: 568

Notice how the EVE fanatics are too busy patting each other on the back and telling each other how lovely their IQs are to actually answer the key points? Again, for the OP, I'd be suprised if you spend as much as 10% of your game time on the action you find interesting, especailly your game time in the first few months of playing. The insults from EVE (or any game, really) fanatics are always amusing, it's really worth positing just to see some of them in action. Using 'you liked this other game that I don't like' as an insult is just astounding, and 'you must be dumb if you don't like what I like' is classic. Posters patting each other on the back about how clever they are is just icing on the cake. Come on guys, it's a game, not rocket science.And Snakey, apply your EVE-IQ to comprehending the material you quoted before trying to be crafty on it; I didn't say that a single trip would take multiple hours like you seem to believe. Also, while it's been a while since I've read any Einstein or Hawking (or since my days of actually doing relativistic calculations, ahh college), I don't remember thier writing being at all bad, so I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at there.
    The only key points I see the OP commenting on is, "Is it always slow?", and "is it balanced?"

The game is really what you make it, it can be very slow, or it can be very fast paced, depending on the actions your character takes. You can spend the majority of the time on the action you find interesting if you take the time to find a corp that is doing that thing that you want. The rest of the time, I would expect to be fitting out your ship and buying or selling items. Pretty much any action you take in this game is going to cost ISK one way or another.

Now on to is it balanced? Its about as balanced as you make it. There most certainly are tendencies, and there are definitely easier paths to go that require less SP in the long run to be effective at. Take Caldari, with just missle and shield skills you can be pretty effective in less time than most other races in their ships. Doesn't mean you cannot buy and use caldari ships yourself if you are gallente though, so you can always take that route.

Originally posted by ValiumSummer
    I think a large portion of the people who don't appreciate this game fail to cross over the PvP hump. PvP in this game is scary, unsettling and often very costly to the faint hearted. I fall into that category definatly. When you spend so much time doing something boring and tedious to get a nice new ship,

That really sums up the game, though not quite the way you intended. My complaint with the game is that you "spend so much time doing something boring and tedious," anytime a game is "boring and tedious" it's failing to be a good game. It boggles my mind that you'd spend the money for an account to a game in which you describe most of the time as "boring and tedious", much less pay for 4 accounts.

The EVE fanatics will, I'm sure, insist that being entertained by gameplay like right-click insta, click on gate to jump (or activate autopilot, then deactivate after jump), repeat 40-odd times is the surest sign of high intellect, though it seems to me much more like a lab rat trained to press a button, flip a lever, then repeat to eventually get a treat. And who really brags about being as smart as a lab rat?

Some people play chess online, and make 1 move a day or week. It is something to occupy thier mind. The time spent preparing for war often exceeds the war itself.

Yes, but EVE gameplay is more like you make 1 real move a day or week, then spend the rest of those days or weeks with another chessboard moving pawns up next to rooks (like mining), moving pawns across the chessboard one square at a time (travelling), or setting up a bunch of pawns where your queen can zip in and take them (ratting). Chess can be slow-paced, but all that you do in a chess games is make your moves, you don't have to do "boring and tedious" tasks as part of it, and certainly don't spend longer on them than on your moves.

Yes, but EVE gameplay is more like you make 1 real move a day or week, then spend the rest of those days or weeks with another chessboard moving pawns up next to rooks (like mining), moving pawns across the chessboard one square at a time (travelling), or setting up a bunch of pawns where your queen can zip in and take them (ratting). Chess can be slow-paced, but all that you do in a chess games is make your moves, you don't have to do "boring and tedious" tasks as part of it, and certainly don't spend longer on them than on your moves.

Not true at all.  I could make "real moves" every time I log on, if I wanted to and had the time.  Right now, I'm quite busy with real life, so I can only log on for an hour or less on most days, so that means PvP is, generally speaking, out of the question.  On those days I can play two hours or more, I have no problem getting some PvP action - hostiles abound out in 0.0, and there's always piracy in lowsec if I'm feeling particularly "YARR!" on a given day.

In addition, sometimes it's nice to just spend a few hours carebearing and see if you can get some nice loot drops, or maybe even a commander/officer spawn out in the belts.  Not only can you get excellent loot, but you also make money that you can put towards other items that will enhance your gaming experience or just offer prestige, such as faction battleships.

Again, EVE is what you make of it.  If I wanted to PvP every day, all day, I have the ISK saved up to do so for quite some time, depending on what I choose to fly.  Right now, if I wanted to PvP in frigates, I could afford to replace over a thousand losses.  With cruisers, I can replace over 100 losses, and with battleships I could only replace about 8 losses.

That's the secret - you spend, say, two weeks doing nothing but making ISK, then you're free to do what you want for the next several *months*, and can "make a real move" at will during that time.

-Wrayeth

• McManiaCMcManiaC Member Posts: 3

Well.... Fly to hostile space in 0.0 - you will have enough to shoot at if you pick your system.

But dont expect me to replace your ships...

Serious, I have nothing really new to say. You can play Eve as a slow and boring game, mining with 4 characters at once for example, or play Eve the fast way. It depends on you.

At last Eve is not the game for everybody.

• CryptikCryptik Member Posts: 52
    The game has some of the most intense pvp combat you will find in any MMO. Just need to stick it out a bit as the game starts slow.