Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG vs. MMOFPS

Before SWG was revamped into a FPS, I didnt even know such an animal existed (MMOFPS). Ive run across a few since then to include Face of Mankind (worst MMO ever). Is this the future of MMO's ?

Anyway, which do you prefer and why....

Comments

• BloodgazeBloodgaze Member Posts: 110
    there is of course room for both. some ppl love to build and have alot of freedom as to what to do with there characters as in rpgs. then again you just might want to kill everything online and blow everyone in the world to hell. me personaly i have always been a fan of rpgs, so ill always stick with them, hands down.
  • ZheritelZheritel Member Posts: 176

Both.. absolutely!

Imagine an Unreal Tournament Online.. Just like regular UT but with out of arena worlds just like a standard FPS.
    And with solid RPG elements.

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    There is room for both but I personally feel that once an mmofps is done right and probably made by a big name in the fps industry, it will probably become more popular than the mmorpg genre. Something like Battlefield Online designed like planetside in a persistant world where you fight for territory, would be an instant success but sadly, subscription fees will always keep quite a few fps gamers away and this will always hold the mmofps genre back.
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by Zheritel

Both.. absolutely!

Imagine an Unreal Tournament Online.. Just like regular UT but with out of arena worlds just like a standard FPS.
    And with solid RPG elements.

Sounds like Huxley :P Which is why alot of us cant wait untill later this year to play it.

UT Engine + MMOFPS= WEEE!!!

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

Originally posted by Senden
    There is room for both but I personally feel that once an mmofps is done right and probably made by a big name in the fps industry, it will probably become more popular than the mmorpg genre. Something like Battlefield Online designed like planetside in a persistant world where you fight for territory, would be an instant success but sadly, subscription fees will always keep quite a few fps gamers away and this will always hold the mmofps genre back.

Lamers that live with their mom sit alone in the dark eating cheese doodles, crying about how stupid subscription fees are..

Proffessional, intelligent gamers understand the consept of monthly fees and don't complain about a few bucks a month for something awesome!

Sad but so true Senden

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

bleh I just hate FPS systems. They dont appeal to me at all.

I just tried Face of Mankind, another FPS MMO. The game has 3rd and 1st person views however when entering combat mode you MUST switch to a 1st person view.

I much rather have a system of auto locking with special attacks. Whats so great about pointing and clicking honestly ? I see no strategy involved in that or no thought process. I want to out-think my opponent with the right combo of specials to defeat him. Being able to hold my mouse cursor a little better than the other guy or a better internet connection hardly qualifies as exciting to me

Also, FPS systems really make gear pointless. What does it matter if I have 60% armor resists and a rifle that does 800-950 damage if I can't point and hit my target ? The enemy could have totally crummy newb gear and still beat me if he can aim better than me. The whole point of a MMO is to improve my avatar via levels, skills, weapons, armor, etc but all that is moot in a FPS system. In the end, it comes down to a physical skill (my right hand)

• A_N_T_IA_N_T_I Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by admriker444

Also, FPS systems really make gear pointless. What does it matter if I have 60% armor resists and a rifle that does 800-950 damage if I can't point and hit my target ? The enemy could have totally crummy newb gear and still beat me if he can aim better than me.

that is just what some people are asking for: skills - your gear should help you, not fight for you :-/

Hello there, adventurer!

• LilTLilT Member Posts: 631

bleh I just hate FPS systems. They dont appeal to me at all.
    I just tried Face of Mankind, another FPS MMO. The game has 3rd and 1st person views however when entering combat mode you MUST switch to a 1st person view.
    I much rather have a system of auto locking with special attacks. Whats so great about pointing and clicking honestly ? I see no strategy involved in that or no thought process. I want to out-think my opponent with the right combo of specials to defeat him. Being able to hold my mouse cursor a little better than the other guy or a better internet connection hardly qualifies as exciting to me
    Also, FPS systems really make gear pointless. What does it matter if I have 60% armor resists and a rifle that does 800-950 damage if I can't point and hit my target ? The enemy could have totally crummy newb gear and still beat me if he can aim better than me. The whole point of a MMO is to improve my avatar via levels, skills, weapons, armor, etc but all that is moot in a FPS system. In the end, it comes down to a physical skill (my right hand)

I think your post shows why they shouldnt mix the two systems. If you have a game that puts enphasis on character development, then i dont think it has a place for fps style combat, becaus it just nullifies all the time you put into developing that character.

For the Horde!

In the heat of battle, point and click becomes a little more easy said than done..

• ChronoLordChronoLord Member Posts: 13

I personally often find myself in certain moods. MMORPG's are commonly much slower paced than a MMOFPS. Sometimes im in the exploring with friends and beating a boss, and other times im in a blow stuff up with bullets flying kinda mood.

My vote is defiantly room for both.

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

SPent most of last night playing Planetside while waiting for stuff to render. May not be the as good as the newest FPS but definately had somethign Doom3 and UT lacked. A MMOFPS from a newer engine could be amazing if well done.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490
    I think the potential of persistant gaming is still to be tapped and one of the areas which could be hugely demanded is mmofps. (two current mmofps is gunzonline and planetside)
     Additionally when will mmorts have some offerings?

Originally posted by A_N_T_I

Also, FPS systems really make gear pointless. What does it matter if I have 60% armor resists and a rifle that does 800-950 damage if I can't point and hit my target ? The enemy could have totally crummy newb gear and still beat me if he can aim better than me.

that is just what some people are asking for: skills - your gear should help you, not fight for you :-/

Then whats the point of leveling your toon, working hard to get better armor, fighting that rare spawn to get a rare weapon drop, etc ? My time and effort should matter.

If I want instant gratification then I'd join my son on his XBOX360 and play some mindless FPS where he doesnt have to spend months to compete.

I think someone else here hit it right on the head. If its going to be a FPS, then go all the way and avoid the hybrid systems because they dont work. And right now, it seems there are a lot of hybrid systems like SWG, Face of Mankind, etc that just dont work.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

admriker444 wrote:

Then whats the point of leveling your toon, working hard to get better armor, fighting that rare spawn to get a rare weapon drop, etc ? My time and effort should matter.

This is probably the most f@*ked up statement I've ever heard. Your time SHOULD matter which is why you SHOULDN'T have to spend monthes getting to the good stuff. Better amour and weapons should only give you an edge or support your play style, not give you instant pwnage.

If I want instant gratification then I'd join my son on his XBOX360 and play some mindless FPS where he doesnt have to spend months to compete.

I take it that you either haven't played many FPS games or you've never played them online, against other people. There's alot more to FPS games than stepping to the side and unloading. There's timing, there's area knowledge, there's resource management (health, armour, ammo, etc). Even if you're playing instagib deathmatch (one shot kills) you still have to wrangle for postion and try to take you're opponents flank. I think the best anology I ever heard in regards to and FPS was tennis. You work the angles and try to do things that you're opponent doesn't expect. Or you do something that you're oppent can't get away from. You asked in an earlier post, "what's so great about pointing and clicking?", well what's so great about spamming buttons? Gratification has always taken a backseat to compition in FPS games.

I think someone else here hit it right on the head. If its going to be a FPS, then go all the way and avoid the hybrid systems because they dont work. And right now, it seems there are a lot of hybrid systems like SWG, Face of Mankind, etc that just dont work.

I disagree. Make the combat FPS and the non-combat stuff RPG. Simple. If you want melee combat, it would look something like the combat out of Oni, Unreal Tournament Championship 2, or On Must Fall: Battlegrounds . Can also work in the framework of an MMORPG since your character would have to learn new combos that they could use in combat. Things like crafting, lockpicking, sneaking, ect. would still be done with virtual dicerolls though.

In short, there is more than enough room for both.

• JimLadJimLad Member CommonPosts: 187

Yeah room for both. Altho I'd like to see some more MMOFPRPGs, games with all the features of a complex RPG society and economy, but where you fight with fast paced skill and aiming as apposed to your levels and gear. First person being the most immersive and combat effective view a player can take, however this puts some people off who prefer to just look at their character in all their shiney stuff.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

I enjoy MMORPGs.  MMOFPS been ACTION games are not for me.

A RPG that is FAST and FURIOUS is certainly nice and possibly having an edge over another RPG, when it become an ACTION game before a RPG, I don't enjoy it anymore.  It is like playing on a wheel, where 1000 points for the devs is just beside bankruptcy, is it worth it to lose everything to get that extra 100 points when there are also 25 other wheels to play with?

CoH/CoV and Auto-Assault to a lesser extand are FAST and FURIOUS RPGs, like KOTOR is.  DDO is an action game, not a RPG anymore.  Despite all this, my favorite games are still made by SSI and BIOWARE, and beside KOTOR, there are none I would describe as fast and furious.

But that is just me.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    HUXLEY IS GONNA PWN EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

Even though I'm not a big fan of the Caps Lock key, I agree with tvalentine.

Huxley ftw!

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

admriker444 wrote:
    This is probably the most f@*ked up statement I've ever heard. Your time SHOULD matter which is why you SHOULDN'T have to spend monthes getting to the good stuff. Better amour and weapons should only give you an edge or support your play style, not give you instant pwnage.

Sigh, another kid who wants instant gratification. No wonder SOE dumbed down SWG. And for the record, it should take a loooong time to get the best gear and hell yes it should = kicking your ass.

Based on your logic, whats the point in playing an MMO for longer than a few months ? There's no reason to strive for epic gear if some punk kid with better reflexes can still win.

I bet WoW wouldnt be the success it is if it was a FPS for that very reason. People stick around in games like WoW long after they reach the level cap because getting better gear means improving their toon. It also means they've achieved something special that others will jealously strive to match. If Blizzard pulled a SOE and revamped WoW to a FPS, the population would drop from 6 million to 500k or less overnight (see SWG)

I hope to hell players like you are the minority or better yet you'll outgrow FPS. MMO's are meant for long-term play, something a FPS negates

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    There is definitely room for both . It is all a matter of personal preference . It would seem to me through concept Huxley has all the right ideas for a MMOFPS . Where a game like Eve has all the right ideas for an MMORPG (maybe minus a ground game) .I enjoy both styles of play , on days where I have little time  I will usually hop on BF2 or planetside , When I have lots of time i'll play EQ2 or ES4:Oblivion .

The fault in the OP's outlook is , using SWG as an example of an MMOFPS . They may want that type of game , but they are far from it . The only true MMOFPS is planetside which is a very well done game  . Is it for everyone ? NO , But for shooter fans most would have a blast playing . 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ScottcScottc Member Posts: 680
    You can have an FPS with RPG elements, the FPS/RPG mix is so much better than just FPS or RPG, I think a mix of the two will be the future of MMORPGs.  In fact it already is, just look at Darkfall Online.  Face of Mankind doesn't even count, since its such an insanely shitty game...

• OSYYRUSOSYYRUS Member Posts: 285
    Personally, I'd like to see a game where the basic daily grind is done in the MMORPG style, but PvP is done via instanced FPS "missions" similar to Battlefield 2 for example. You unlock more kits to play in the FPS through actions you take in the MMORPG side of the game. And you unlock Rank, Prestige, Money and Faction domination through winning in the FPS missions. I guess Planetside has some of these elements, but honestly I've tried it and I just don't like how it all comes together.

The Millenium Lee

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961

Are action movies better than history dramas?
    Is science fiction better than poetry?
    Which is better: Internet explorer or Firefox?
    Is basketball better than baseball?

Anyone see why this argument is completely pointless?

As for RPG vs. FPS argument... I prefer games that I like over the games that I dislike.

With mmofps the player is forced to have actual skill in addition to tactics..

in regular mmorps you just lock target with a click and press the melee button and wait while stuffing your face with pringles..

in an mmofps, if you shoot and miss the target, it is actually YOUR fault, not just a %chance coincidence.

as for skill vs gear... I think armor has alot to say on that matter.

Originally posted by Zheritel

With mmofps the player is forced to have actual skill in addition to tactics..
    in regular mmorps you just lock target with a click and press the melee button and wait while stuffing your face with pringles..
    in an mmofps, if you shoot and miss the target, it is actually YOUR fault, not just a %chance coincidence.
    as for skill vs gear... I think armor has alot to say on that matter.

This is simply NOT true. It takes intellect to play rpg style combat. It requires good stratgey...ie do I knock them down first, do I root them and kite, do i dot and run, do i melee tank them, do i mix it up, etc.

I'd like to see someone "stuffing their face with pringles" beat my jedi knight pre-nge. Those pvp battles between me and a good bounty hunter would sometimes last 30 minutes and took real cunning to win.

FPS is all about reflexes and pushing the mouse button fast. RPG takes actual thinking to accomplish.