Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions.....

FonzyBearFonzyBear Member Posts: 49

Its funny how I didn't hear about this game being free until its too late and I see news that they are out of business. Obviously something went majorly wrong in their concepts or something. So i am curious, what was this game like compared to other MMOs?

Did it have the typical all or nearly all quests are kill x thing x times or kill x thing to get x item drops?

Was it more or less hack the monster until it dies use food when needed to heal solo the whole game no need to party?

Was there any skill involved in completing the game or was it pretty much mindnumbing not requiring 2 brain cells to think about how to complete things?

Was there any in game story like traditional platform RPGs such as Final Fantasy and various others that a story unfolds as you progress through the game?

Other than that did it fail due to unpopularity? or bad money managment or other?

Comments

• jdkskipjdkskip Member UncommonPosts: 120
    You still have time to try it for your self, atleast 15+ days, so download it and see.
  • snewrtzsnewrtz Member UncommonPosts: 12

To me this was all about PvP. What killed it for me was all the damn duping, and exploiting. If you like to PvP, then you will love this game.

• FonzyBearFonzyBear Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by jdkskip
    You still have time to try it for your self, atleast 15+ days, so download it and see.

Well that is why I made the post. No sense in me starting to play since it won't be there for long. I'd much rather here about it from those who got to see a lot of the game and experienced what much of it was like. I doubt if I were to start playing that I'd even scratch the surface to know the answers to my questions.

• HersaintHersaint Member UncommonPosts: 366

Im no expert on Shadowbane, but I did enjoy it. What drew me in was the great backstory for each of the races and classes. The depth in the background was just great storytelling. It was a great game to roleplay. I think their ideas and vision were too big for their resources to handle. Just my opinion. Needed more manpower and finances I would suppose.

Plus Im from Texas and Wolfpack was originally based in Austin ::::39::

• BoxtripperBoxtripper Member Posts: 26

ShadowBane is one of those rare unique MMORPGS.

-No, this game had ZERO quests. That's right. It's not about PvE.

-Skill involved in completing the game? lol, there is no completing ShadowBane :) there is no main quest, there is nothing to complete. It's about building your city(ies) and defending them from other hostile guilds. The game is all end game... Levelling is actually fun too because it is FAST. But it's not very challenging.

-The game failed due to graphics were outdated even at launch, the full PvP enviroment is just too harsh for the EQ/WoW crowd, the total lack of meaningfull PvE content. There is also a lot of macroing and explointing going on, this kind of game requires more policing than other MMORPGS.

There is also a lot of ganking, but this just adds to the fun IMO because you don't really lose anything by dying. There is no uber equipment. and you are allways on the altert when you are out exploring because some ass is out to get YOUR ass :) Also, the satisfaction of killing a gank-squad is just immense. I used to play a scout and use stealth and tracking to find PK groups. Then i'd follow them around stealthed and lead the guilds own hunting squad right to them. The Razing of the PK guilds city was also an intense experience. Good times.

• NaturallyNaturally Member UncommonPosts: 28

Originally posted by Boxtripper
    -The game failed due to graphics were outdated even at launch, the full PvP enviroment is just too harsh for the EQ/WoW crowd, the total lack of meaningfull PvE content. There is also a lot of macroing and explointing going on, this kind of game requires more policing than other MMORPGS.

I like the part about no quests, just about every mmorpg i've ever played revolved around doing quest after quest and killing mob after mob forever. But I do have to disagree about the graphics part. I have an expensive, new, top of the line AGP card and the graphics are better than a lot of mmo's being released today even. Of course not better than WoW or EQ2 though, the game IS pretty old though. I believe macroing added quite a bit to the game. It would of had half the players if you would of had to manually level to 75 IMO. They fixed a good amount of the exploits which i do agree hurt the game.

hack (hak) n., A clever solution to an interesting problem.