Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tabula Rasa features

VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

So, in the latest GDC interview, it seems Richard Garriot announced that Tabula Rasa will be:

• Playable in 30 mins bursts
  • no grinding
  • dynamic world that is influenced by player interactions
  • will have a own symbolic language that, if learned properly, can open you up some lore and puzzles of the game
  • sci-fi
  • some cross culture influences, but primarily focused to Western markets

Looks and sounds too good to be true. Of course if there is somebody that can pull it off, this is Lord British and i really hope he will succeed.

I'm a bit worried about the complete lack of details though (beside the rare snippets we had before), but maybe tomorrow's interview will clear more things up.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

Comments

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526
    what kind of combat, FPS or turn-based traditional rpg ?
  • LougarouLougarou Member Posts: 278

Hmm it's more like a TPS (Third Person Shooter) from what I've seen. Garriot wanted a bit of both so you get to see your toon but you still need to aim a monster with the crosshair to hit it (it's auto-aim though, it'll stick on your target once you acquire it). You should check the 12mn clip : http://www.ogamingmedia.com/e3-2005/52405/TR_E3_Demo.wmv

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

yes, it is basically RPG-style combat. If you hit the monster is determined by your char's skills and abilities, not by your aim.

I figure it will be something like SWG Pre-NGE, in which each shot wasn't a single blaster bolt but numerous so to make combat seems more alive and Sci-fi than usual.

I dunno, though, if there will be auto-attack or not.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• emdtemdt Member Posts: 325
    in other words its auto-aim

though u can still miss

---------------------------------------------
    *characters*
    Guild Wars
    -Danish Kokor-lvl 20 monk/mesmer
    -Ettarde Aoi- lvl 7 warrior/ranher
    Maple Story
    -Danish-lvl30 Hunter
    -kokore-lvl8 Mage
    Runescape
    -Lady Ettarde-lvl 58

• Ghost-HackGhost-Hack Member Posts: 51
    why is this question still being asked? its stated explicitly in the last batch of interviews (though hes been saying the same thing since E3..)

""Our game is not a first person shooter – it’s an RPG.  Unlike most RPGs, I’ll use WoW as a case study, where you acquire a target by clicking on it then you look at your user interface, fireball, fireball, fireball, sword swing, sword swing, heal.  Right?  It doesn’t matter what’s happening on screen, you’re looking at your user interface.  You’ve already targeted.  That’s how all MMOs go.  Acquire a target, and do as much of a maximum amount of damage key sequence you can do.  That’s playing the user interface.  We want you to play through the screen – we want you to watch what’s happening.  When you click the right mouse button you shoot a weapon, when you click your left mouse button you cast a spell or an ability as we call it.  We let you cycle weapons and abilities like a FPS.  But that way you’re always looking through the reticule.  In a FPS if you aim two inches to the right, I’m going to miss you.  So it’s really an arcade game based on your own skill.  That’s not what Tabula Rasa is.  Tabula Rasa, when I move the mouse past you it sticks to you.  It knows that I mean to shoot you.  But when I shoot, it goes through the animations like a shooter but it does die rolls like an RPG – it uses attributes, armor, your abilities.  It’s absolutely an RPG but it has the interface to make you look through the UI into the screen – not at your shortcut bar.""
  • vernesvernes Member UncommonPosts: 79

Originally posted by Ghost-Hack
    why is this question still being asked? its stated explicitly in the last batch of interviews (though hes been saying the same thing since E3..)

*grunts* Because people don't check all articles, and often people enjoy talking on a forum even if it means asking questions he/she could have found on the net themselves.

Perhaps...

But from my own experence, these questions usually come from people who dont even consider that there are alternate sources of information.
    And I doubt there are that many people who ask questions on a forum, to which they already know the answers.... Unless its some sort of trivia game.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Perhaps...

But from my own experence, these questions usually come from people who dont even consider that there are alternate sources of information.
    And I doubt there are that many people who ask questions on a forum, to which they already know the answers.... Unless its some sort of trivia game.

Hmm, looks like you have litle expirience.

• vernesvernes Member UncommonPosts: 79

In the meanwhile, WE are talking about it on this forum, which is exacly why people come here, asking silly questions.

It starts discussions and forges social networks.

Originally posted by SonofSeth

Perhaps...

Hmm, looks like you have litle expirience.

heh.. I have a little.... Ive been arround these communities for 8 years or so. Granted, everyone sees things a little differently.
    As I said, from my own experence, people who ask "the same old questions" havent even considered that they could just look it up on their own. And I have yet to see someone ask a question (unless it was retorical, or to prove some other point) that they already knew the answer to. If you want to say that "perhaps they are looking for confirmation".... id say thats a different matter all together.

In any case... there's the update on the site to talk about... why keep talking about this?