Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't Go On Anymore...

Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501

Just can't do it anymore guys...  If I have to sit and stare at another boulder for hours again, I will flip out...  The first few mining ops went great, I was drinking heaviliy, chatting up on TS...  But it just got real old after a while...  And since mining is THE only way to make ISK on EVE, I am going to cancel both of my accounts... 

I would stay if:

1)  Missions were more interesting...  I don't think I have ever seen a game with such repetitive missions as EVE. 

2)  Graphics were better...  I am no slave to the eye candy, but if I have to travel 6 jumps just to get my Heavy Beam Laser I, I would like a little more to look at or do.  Super boring travel time.

3)  The Skill System, I actually like the skills = real time, but the skill system is often times too vague as to what skill will get you what.  Certain skill sets make you level them up to use upgrades and etc., while certain skills you just upgrade to improve upon what you already have, no real clear distinction which led to days wasted...

4)  More group oriented activities and more group mechanics that need to be shared...  I know this isn't WoW or EQ2, but it would be nice to have a mission appear on all group members windows to continuously do group missions together...

5)  Better rewards for NPC hunting...  If this paid better, I would still be playing...  But the bounties are too low and the loot is typically garbage in .4 space and up... 

6)  Fixing buggy animations...  There were certain points where it felt like I was playing SWG...  Ships disapearring, drones flickering in and out, afterburner animations bugged... 

Finally...

7)  Ugly ass ship models...  Much variety is needed...

But overall EVE is a great game for those who don't mind staring at an asteroid for hundreds of hours while dreaming about your BS... 

I will say it once again, you HAVE to mine to make your way into the cruel world that is EVE...  Don't let anyone tell you differently...

If you want to play EVE, ask yourself this:  "Do I want to sit in my spacecraft for hours on end watching my mining laser go on and off and placing stacks of ORE into a flaoting container while the mining ops leader hauls it off and skims off of the top?"  If you answer yes, than EVE is the game for you... 

Comments

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

I did Corp mining ops like 3 times. Long of the short of it is.. head to 0.0 asap and start killing 1million+isk rats. You don't even need a BS to hunt in 0.0 anymore. I haven't mined for well over a year. EVE is what you make it. If you make it take mining then it takes mining. If you run agent missions then thats what EVE is. I hate missions, mining and Empire all together. Get in a pvp corp and start fighting for space.

• Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501

Originally posted by Copeland

I did Corp mining ops like 3 times. Long of the short of it is.. head to 0.0 asap and start killing 1million+isk rats. You don't even need a BS to hunt in 0.0 anymore. I haven't mined for well over a year. EVE is what you make it. If you make it take mining then it takes mining. If you run agent missions then thats what EVE is. I hate missions, mining and Empire all together. Get in a pvp corp and start fighting for space.

I seriously doubt my Omen with a heavy launcher can take 0.0 rats...  I have 4 medium lasers too, and can't even solo a .4 rat, at least the big ones like Legionnaires...  Have hull upgrades and everything, just not happening...  I assume 0.0 rats are harder than say .4 rats, so no dice on that, thanks for the reply though...

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Originally posted by Dis_Ordur
    I did Corp mining ops like 3 times. Long of the short of it is.. head to 0.0 asap and start killing 1million+isk rats. You don't even need a BS to hunt in 0.0 anymore. I haven't mined for well over a year. EVE is what you make it. If you make it take mining then it takes mining. If you run agent missions then thats what EVE is. I hate missions, mining and Empire all together. Get in a pvp corp and start fighting for space.I seriously doubt my Omen with a heavy launcher can take 0.0 rats...  I have 4 medium lasers too, and can't even solo a .4 rat, at least the big ones like Legionnaires...  Have hull upgrades and everything, just not happening...  I assume 0.0 rats are harder than say .4 rats, so no dice on that, thanks for the reply though...

Join an 0.0 corp and go hunting with someone.

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

That's funny that you mention mining is THE only way to make money in EVE when Imperial Dreams doesn't have a single miner, yet are one of the richest Corps in the game.

::::28::

Try ratting in 0.0.

I have 4 medium lasers too, and can't even solo a .4 rat, at least the big ones like Legionnaires... Have hull upgrades and everything, just not happening....

I solo 0.4 - 0.2 Rats in my Punisher. Just join a corp who knows how to rat.

Those big guys? pfft. They have long range weapons. They do a Total of 0 dmg at 2000m or so. ::::28::

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • SonOfAGhostSonOfAGhost Member Posts: 383

I finished the trial, subscribed and bought my first industrial yesterday. In the last hour I made about 5 million just buying underpriced resources and hauling them 3 jumps for a 40% profit. Exciting? Not really, but you can bet I'll have fun spending that 5 mil.

Don't go 6 jumps to buy anything, just place a buy order, I've been pleasantly surprised how quickly all of mine have been filled. Even the one for 1 000 civilian shield boosters.

Group activities? Well, like any game, that's what the clans/guilds/corps are for. Or in my case a couple RL friends.

NPC hunting rewards, low sec and/or a higher quality/level agent. Even doing level 1/2 missions in a destroyer should only take 1 or 2 hours to make a million solo.

Oh, and you can turn off the ship trails graphic, it's so ugly I don't know why the default is on.

You're right on all your points to some extent though. Unlike SWG though the problems I've seen so far would be better classed as imperfections than broken outright. Except your last point. I want my ship to look ugly and badass, aerodynamics don't matter in space and I'm not trying to pick up chicks in a sports car.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Just can't do it anymore guys...  If I have to sit and stare at another boulder for hours again, I will flip out...  The first few mining ops went great, I was drinking heaviliy, chatting up on TS...  But it just got real old after a while...  And since mining is THE only way to make ISK on EVE, I am going to cancel both of my accounts... 
    I would stay if:
    1)  Missions were more interesting...  I don't think I have ever seen a game with such repetitive missions as EVE. EVER PLAYED SWG? 
    2)  Graphics were better...  I am no slave to the eye candy, but if I have to travel 6 jumps just to get my Heavy Beam Laser I, I would like a little more to look at or do.  Super boring travel time. EVER USED INSTAS?
    3)  The Skill System, I actually like the skills = real time, but the skill system is often times too vague as to what skill will get you what.  Certain skill sets make you level them up to use upgrades and etc., while certain skills you just upgrade to improve upon what you already have, no real clear distinction which led to days wasted... SELECT THE SHIP/ITEM YOU WISH TO USE AND IT WILL GIVE YOU THE REQUIREMENTS NEEDED TO USE IT.
    4)  More group oriented activities and more group mechanics that need to be shared...  I know this isn't WoW or EQ2, but it would be nice to have a mission appear on all group members windows to continuously do group missions together... EVER TRIED GROUP WARP?
    5)  Better rewards for NPC hunting...  If this paid better, I would still be playing...  But the bounties are too low and the loot is typically garbage in .4 space and up...  EVER TRIED HUNTING IN LOWER SEC SPACE?
    6)  Fixing buggy animations...  There were certain points where it felt like I was playing SWG...  Ships disapearring, drones flickering in and out, afterburner animations bugged... OH YOU HAVE PLAYED SWG, AND YOU THINK EVE HAS BUGGY ANIMATIONS? 
    Finally...
    7)  Ugly ass ship models...  Much variety is needed... THERE'S NO ACCOUNTING FOR TASTE!
    But overall EVE is a great game for those who don't mind staring at an asteroid for hundreds of hours while dreaming about your BS... 
    I will say it once again, you HAVE to mine to make your way into the cruel world that is EVE...  Don't let anyone tell you differently... WRONG, I'M A MULTI MILLIONARE AND HAVE NEVER MINED.
    If you want to play EVE, ask yourself this:  "Do I want to sit in my spacecraft for hours on end watching my mining laser go on and off and placing stacks of ORE into a flaoting container while the mining ops leader hauls it off and skims off of the top?"  If you answer yes, than EVE is the game for you... 

BTW, CAN I HAVE YOUR STUFF?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Just can't do it anymore guys... If I have to sit and stare at another boulder for hours again, I will flip out... The first few mining ops went great, I was drinking heaviliy, chatting up on TS... But it just got real old after a while... And since mining is THE only way to make ISK on EVE, I am going to cancel both of my accounts...

Then please explain, how it is possible for me to earn 300 Million in not even 2 weeks in Empire, high sec. I give you a hint: I didn't mine. And this isn't even much, there are people making that in one or two days, and, no, they don't mine either.

About your points:
    4.) is absolutely true and the only one where you are right 100%. IIRC this will be adressed in Kali, thoug it remains to be seen to what extent
    7.) It's your pregorative to call the shipmodels "not to your liking", but you really can't say that ships in EVE need more variety - There are very few games that which are even able to match EVE's variety, let alone surpass it. There are ships of 4 races, 2 Pirate Factions (Angels Sansha have their own models), Rouge Drones, Concord and several Individual special models. The player races range from frigate to Titan, all in all roughly 2 dozen individual models per race, not counting T2 variants (which look different too). Sorry, but I would call that quite varied.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

I haven't mounted a mining laser on any of my ships in going on 2 years now. I have 2 BS's, more smaller ships than I can count and thousands of mods in stations all over the starcluster.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO MINE TO MAKE MONEY IN EVE!!!!

If you are having trouble killing belt rats in a 0.4 with a cruiser then you need to find someone who can help train you in combat. I've taken out 3 165k isk battlecruiser rats in a catalyst in 0.1 space by myself before, and could have done it even easier in a cruiser if I had wanted to.

Level 3 and 4 missions make as-good-as or better money than mining in 0.5 space and up.

If you're in a corp that is forcing you to mine then find another one, there are plenty out there that don't want to turn you into a mining drone.

• RyctorRyctor Member Posts: 32

Want to be retardedly rich?  Find a nice large corporation....and then rob them.

At the Guiding Hand, we hold the contract sacred - if the client wishes us to skin a target's loved ones alive and wear their face for a mask while killing them, we will do so ~ Istvaan Shogaatsu

• Originally posted by Dis_Ordur
    1)  Missions were more interesting...  I don't think I have ever seen a game with such repetitive missions as EVE. 
    if you look at this prespective, all games has repitition, just change the mob module and his weapons, add some powers, you get yourself another mob to hack on, so basicly the point about repition is becoming old and invalid, not saying that i hate repitition, that's why there are alot of things to do besides missioning in EVE
    2)  Graphics were better...  I am no slave to the eye candy, but if I have to travel 6 jumps just to get my Heavy Beam Laser I, I would like a little more to look at or do.  Super boring travel time.
    don't expect everything to appear as you wish, it's nearly impossible to have something like a large laser cannon showing, since it will cause massive lag, it's a development issue, reduce lag, better game performance = a better game.
    3)  The Skill System, I actually like the skills = real time, but the skill system is often times too vague as to what skill will get you what.  Certain skill sets make you level them up to use upgrades and etc., while certain skills you just upgrade to improve upon what you already have, no real clear distinction which led to days wasted...
    eh ? yeah well, skills to use upgrades and skills to improve what i have, what's so vague and confusing about this ? you just need to read the description and get to know the compatibilty between the skills, it takes sometime but once you get the hang of it, any new skill will be easily identified.
    4)  More group oriented activities and more group mechanics that need to be shared...  I know this isn't WoW or EQ2, but it would be nice to have a mission appear on all group members windows to continuously do group missions together...
    you can currently do this, and CCP said they'll be adding group missions in future updates.
    5)  Better rewards for NPC hunting...  If this paid better, I would still be playing...  But the bounties are too low and the loot is typically garbage in .4 space and up... 
    there are ALOT of NPC types, for example, Name:Bounty,   Angel Hunter:10000 ISK, Domination Hunter:35000 ISK, Angel Crusher:50000ISK, Arch Angel Crusher:300000ISK, same ships, a little tougher, the more areas you discover the more things you know, don't stick to one place, move around.
    6)  Fixing buggy animations...  There were certain points where it felt like I was playing SWG...  Ships disapearring, drones flickering in and out, afterburner animations bugged... 
    update your graphics driver ? these things never happen to me. 
    oh there's alot of them already, seems like you're playing the minmatar race in the minmatar space.
    go to Gallente or Amarr.

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

This is what I have to say about the matter:

Agree if applied as a general statement about all MMORPGs, disagree if applies only to EVE. Although EVE's missions are more repetitive than most (each agent only has a small pool of missions to draw from), In WoW and EQ2 I found myself not caring for the quest description after the first hundred quests or so. I only paid attention to the rewards, which is the same thing I do in EVE.

Well, due to the game's mechanics, there's no way around the travel times, really...increasing the eye candy doesn't really help either because eventually that will get boring too. I suggest playing in windowed mode and chatting with friends/browse the web while jumping around.

A small number of skills have unclear descriptions, but the rest are pretty clear, if you know what the stat it improves means. For example, a skill that improves accuracy falloff means nothing to someone who doesn't know what accuracy falloff is. As for skill requirements, each skill description clearly lists the requirements to train that skill, and modules and weapons list the same. I would suggest taking a look at the market and find some modules/weapons that appeal to you, and then try training the corresponding skills to use them.

Strongly agree on this one. Apart from corp mining and the occasional level 4 agent mission, everyone in the game is too self-sufficient. With the ability to both deal damage and tank it, there's not much incentive for people to group for small things. People only come together for the big tasks, but those are few and far in between.

Honestly, the loot has to be pretty crap in high sec space as to not upset the market and promote rampant farming. Rewards get substantially better in low sec space though.

Haven't had ships disappear on me (unless they despawned), haven't had drones flicker on me, and I think the AB animation was turned off after a certain patch. To be honest though, there's not that much animation involved on a ship, pretty much only the turrets move.

Finally...

This is more of an opinion than anything. Personally I find the ship models very pleasing (well, half of them anyway) and the variety is nicely spread in between the 4 races. It's not often that you play a game where you can see a certain building or ship and go "Hey, I know which race that belongs to because of its design".

I will say it once again, you HAVE to mine to make your way into the cruel world that is EVE...  Don't let anyone tell you differently...

Mining is -somewhat- required at the beginning of the game to get a bit of cash to get into a decent ship. After that though, you can pretty much just go rat hunting or run agent missions to get cash. Besides, just because you mine, it doesn't make you automatically rich. I have 15 million SP, most of which are focused on mining, and I can barely make 3 million isk an hour. Some people can make 3 million isk in 10 minutes just running agent missions.
  • apertotesapertotes Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Ranma13

This is what I have to say about the matter:

Strongly agree on this one. Apart from corp mining and the occasional level 4 agent mission, everyone in the game is too self-sufficient. With the ability to both deal damage and tank it, there's not much incentive for people to group for small things. People only come together for the big tasks, but those are few and far in between.

hey, first of all, sorry for the partial quote. i usually dont do it, unless i want to focuss on a particular line or topic, and that is the case now. i agree with the rest of your post image

for me, MMORPG doesnt strictly mean doing things together with other people. it is nice to do missions with friends, and mining is less boring when you are not alone. you have this options in the game. but you say that even though you have these options, players are too self-suficient.

that is what i disagree. i see it like real life. you dont need your friends to go to work, to drive your car, to go to the cinema or to the zoo. you can go watch a football game at the stadium alone if you want. but all those things are better with friends. would you say that real life is self-suficient?

try to go to the stadium if no one is playing, or to watch a movie if there were no actors, or even have breakfast if there isnt someone that gets the milk from the cows for you. you couldnt drive your car if it wasnt for big factories like GM or Ford or BMW, or Shell.

so even though you dont need the people at your side at anytime, you really depend on them. you need bus drivers, and cops, and tennis players, and bakers, electricians, plumbers, and even politicians image

is the same on eve. try to go out kill anything without amno. you can say that you can build your own amno. ok. but try to do it without minerals. hey, you can mine your own minerals. ok, but try to do it without a ship. hey, i can build my own ship, yes but you need minerals...

in the end, very few people are really self-suficient. and they need a lot of skills on a lot of fields, and that means they will surely suck at everything. it is best to specialize and rely on somebodys work, just like in real life.

this way, you can spend your time npcing or doing  missions, and when you need a new ship you just buy it, because someone spent his time mining and then producing. this is a real MMO for me.

so if you mean that everybody has enough money to have anything they need without the help of mates... well, i can agree to some extent. but i am sure that we all have needed a low-interest loan from a friend at some time, be it for a bad purchase, an inoportune podding or an incredible strong rat.

and one thing i love is that for the advanced parts of the game, almost everybody needs help from mates. i am talking about buying a tech 2 bpo, building a titan, a pos, a carrier, declaring wars, claiming systems...

so yes, you dont need anybody to do missions, but you need a lot of people for the best parts of the game.

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

I agree with the missions statement. I find Eve missions lacking considerably in comparison to some popular MMORPGs. Even though Eve is not a MMORPG, but still, it could of made missions more fun and varied. Essentially, in Eve all you do is either kill x number of fools or carry something somewhere or make something. Even though all missions in all games are essencially broken down to this formula, but some games (like WoW for example) can add a bit of variety to make a mission stand out and thus make mission running less like a chore. Example: I do a lot of missions for a surveilance agent, and i did about 50 missions and only 1 of them was to deliver something, only about 3-4 were to loot specific cargo, the rest were just simple go kill mobs at place X. Its way too simple and way too monotone.

Mining - its a necessary evil, a fairly easy but boring way to get some cash.

Skills - this is where half of my problems are. The idea that skills are leveled at a constant rate has good and bad sides. At first I liked this idea, but now I dont. In my opinion, this concept promotes offline playing and discourages player from playing. I think it would be better if Eve had a very limited offline skill training, but whenever you play or practice that specific skill it would train much faster. Kinda like Rest exp in WoW. With current Eve leveling It doesnt feel like im in control of my skills.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage