Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the game is alright

alicairoalicairo Member UncommonPosts: 52

you can play it by just buying a subscription

that's cool

a big flaw in this game is stargate camping

Comments

• freebirdpatfreebirdpat Member Posts: 568

Thats not a flaw. thats a feature(tm).

Plus you can have some fun, if you get together a group of players and kill the campers.

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

Personally, I would have preferred it if they removed the stargates and made you warp to the different systems by charging a warp drive that takes a while to activate. All the gates would be removed, but you still travel as if they were there. When you warp into the system, the point at which you warped in depends on the point at which you selected to warp at in the previous system. What this allows for is that you can choose to warp to a new system right out of a station but you'll warp into a known spot in the next system, or you can choose to fly out a bit and then warp then. It'll still allow for camping at gates, asteroid belts, and well-known warp-in points, but it also allows people to warp into a system undetected.

Barring that, removing local seems like another good idea :).

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Oh yeah lets remove local so then when u have 5 peaceful miners working in the system they will have no idea of the fact that gankageddon just warped in and checking the belts for prey.

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by Urza123
    Oh yeah lets remove local so then when u have 5 peaceful miners working in the system they will have no idea of the fact that gankageddon just warped in and checking the belts for prey.

Well, then the 5 miners should have posted a scout at the gate(s) to warn them ahead. I mean get it people, this an MMO - teamwork anyone? Also miners are never peaceful - they kill innocent asteroids, which even can't defend themselves :-(

EDIT: Oh and @topic: Use the map, scouts and your brain and gatecamping should be a minor problem. I mean if you merrily just jump into a system, clicking away happliy the low security warning, thinking "ooow nothing can happen to me *joyful sound*", then its no wonder that gatecamping is a "problem".

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• apertotesapertotes Member Posts: 363

stupid idea. do you think the guy on the gankageddon is going to go through every belt of every system just to kill some covetors? if there is no local there is no way to know if there is actually someone mining, and with 6000 systems, i dont think anybody would go from belt to belt and from system to system looking for miners.

so removing local would be much better for miners.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Originally posted by apertotes
    stupid idea. do you think the guy on the gankageddon is going to go through every belt of every system just to kill some covetors? if there is no local there is no way to know if there is actually someone mining, and with 6000 systems, i dont think anybody would go from belt to belt and from system to system looking for miners.

Well the first and biggest flaw with your logic is the scanner. It would take me all of 20 seconds to see who's in what belt and promptly go blow them up.

Removing stargates and replacing them with a warp drive/charting system would be more realistic. One where it takes your ship a minute or two to plot a course and build up the charge necessary for warp travel. Really thats a spot on idea there. I hope CCP figures that one out. They could even put in a short starburst system for intersystem travel to get out of trouble.

• SonOfAGhostSonOfAGhost Member Posts: 383

Scouts at gates do nothing to let you know a pirate logged on at a station in the system and undocked to start scanning. Local is essential for miners to have any chance at all. Without it I'd hate to see the inflation rate for resources and then everything made from them.

Gateless travel has potential but I think they put them in as another means of encouraging player 'interaction' ::::40::

I never go below 0.5, even in a combat ship, without first checking the map for 1) players in last 1/2 hour, 2) ships destoryed in last hour and most important 3) pod kills in last hour. Yesterday was a prime example of people being too lazy and it costing them their lives. There were several (I heard 4 or 5) camping the gate from Amamake towards Rens. How many of the 72 pod kills/hour do you think checked their map first? One guy was complaining that they got his frigate 3 times ::::12::

Oh, I just logged on to check the map about that again, 257 pods in the last 24 hours plus another 47 in the last hour as I post this so it looks like they're back.

You'd think they'd have run out of ammo by now ::::15::

• apertotesapertotes Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Copeland
    Originally posted by apertotes

Well the first and biggest flaw with your logic is the scanner. It would take me all of 20 seconds to see who's in what belt and promptly go blow them up.

Removing stargates and replacing them with a warp drive/charting system would be more realistic. One where it takes your ship a minute or two to plot a course and build up the charge necessary for warp travel. Really thats a spot on idea there. I hope CCP figures that one out. They could even put in a short starburst system for intersystem travel to get out of trouble.

well, that is completely fine. if you want to use a scanner then miners should be smart enough to use scort. i dont see any problem. having local chat telling you when someone enters the system is lame, and it doesnt fit well into roleplaying, from my point of view.

anyway, i am not sure how probes work, but i think they can tell you the ship someone is using. i dont think that is good. it is already good enough to know where are the pilots, no need to know the ship. this way you wouldnt know whether those 5 pilots are mining, npcing, or waiting for a miner-killer.

• alicairoalicairo Member UncommonPosts: 52

Originally posted by freebirdpat

Plus you can have some fun, if you get together a group of players and kill the campers.

I don't agree, I believe it's a flaw, a bad decision.
  • SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Originally posted by alicairo

No Sir.

EVE is designed for adults.
    Adults have jobs.
    Adults can't play WoW 24/7 to be super uber and enjoy the game.

I don't have to have my social life effected by an MMO because of EVE either. I can keep getting better when I'm not playing and log on when I can to play.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me

Plus you can have some fun, if you get together a group of players and kill the campers.I don't agree, I believe it's a flaw, a bad decision.

How is it a flaw? What is flawed about it?

You can go ahead and state it, but unless you back it up with some talk this topic is already over.

CCP put in stargates, they are part of the GAME MECHANICs. Like how pawns on a chessboard as their first move can move forward two moves. I am sure after 3 years of the game being built lots of things have been built around the way stargates work.

BTW, I have NEVER been killed at a gatecamp. The few times I do go into lowsec space alone, I stay there for as short a period of time, and take a speedy and fast warping ship. My favorite is probably a MWDing or ABing Executioner, easy 1100 m/s with AB 3300 m/s with MWD gets me to the gate fast enough, if a BS can lock me under 15 secs then I am already dead, but that hasn't happened yet. Otherwise I go to low sec with a group.

So start stating why you think its a poor game mechanic instead of a good one. I take it akin to a chessboard, and arranging the pieces in a such a way that movement is difficult for certain pieces while avoiding capture. Otherwise quit trolling.

• I think this game is just fit for PRO players,cuz it's to comlex,u should spend a long time to learn how to play it,then u got fun~
  • alicairoalicairo Member UncommonPosts: 52

How is it a flaw? What is flawed about it?

It's a flaw because anyone can do it to any new player.

I came here to state an opinion, not to argue about it. If you can't accept that, fine.

Not to offend, I just don't see the average person freaking over something so simply stated.

I've played some difficult games & this one is complex but it isn't hard to get ahead in.

Anyway, this thread was for my opinion but please continue to slander my views, I'm fine with that.

As to the statement above about a game made for adults, maybe it was? I have no idea.

I am an adult & I played the game for a solid amount of time & as an adult I decided to hang it up for no other reason then I wanted to quit & move on. One of the things I thought about later was, yeah, you know, some guys I know who were new quit early for reasons such as, stargate camping.

They're allowed to make their game how they like it & I'm allowed to state my opinion as you are allowed to disagree.. It's that simple.

I firmly believe the game could of been developed to avoid the campings that occur. I rarely had a problem with hostiles in the game even though it was massively PVP, but, I think there is a difference between going into a fight & jumping through a low security area that you may or may not be destroyed immediately in upon coming out of your jump.

Originally posted by freebirdpat Originally posted by alicairoOriginally posted by freebirdpat Thats not a flaw. thats a feature(tm). Plus you can have some fun, if you get together a group of players and kill the campers.
    I don't agree, I believe it's a flaw, a bad decision. How is it a flaw? What is flawed about it?
    I came here to state an opinion, not to argue about it. If you can't accept that, fine.
    Not to offend, I just don't see the average person freaking over something so simply stated.
    I've played some difficult games & this one is complex but it isn't hard to get ahead in.
    Anyway, this thread was for my opinion but please continue to slander my views, I'm fine with that.
    As to the statement above about a game made for adults, maybe it was? I have no idea.
    I am an adult & I played the game for a solid amount of time & as an adult I decided to hang it up for no other reason then I wanted to quit & move on. One of the things I thought about later was, yeah, you know, some guys I know who were new quit early for reasons such as, stargate camping.
    They're allowed to make their game how they like it & I'm allowed to state my opinion as you are allowed to disagree.. It's that simple.
    I firmly believe the game could of been developed to avoid the campings that occur. I rarely had a problem with hostiles in the game even though it was massively PVP, but, I think there is a difference between going into a fight & jumping through a low security area that you may or may not be destroyed immediately in upon coming out of your jump.

In most team-based strategy FPSes, like Counter-strike there are certain chokepoints on the map. In the EVE Universe, Stargates are the choke points. It would be a completely different game if you could jump to system to system. So what, anyone can scam any new player. Players are usually informed and well warned not to go into low-sec, and that it is dangerous. And it doesn't take much to see if there is a gate camp going on if you know how to use the map.

You are also not immediately destroyed coming out of your jump at a stargate camp. Unless you warped there and not jumped from one part of a low sec system to another. Tip one: do not fly something you cannot afford to lose. There are ways to deal with gate camps, and ways to avoid it.

Anyone can do gate camping to any old player that isn't paying attention. Any new player can also organize a rally in defeating those gate campers. Nothing is stopping them from getting together a list of names of campers and going out and hunting the campers.

Goonfleet has certainly showed that new players can come into the game and start owning it up if they really try.

Originally posted by iamamomao
    I think this game is just fit for PRO players,cuz it's to comlex,u should spend a long time to learn how to play it,then u got fun~
    It definitely seems like its more geared towards competitive players. Typically most games that have a heavy influence on PvP do though.
  • MylonMylon Member Posts: 975

Gates aren't chokepoints. They're slaughter points. In most tactical situations, there is something that occurs called "approach". During this approach, whoever has the greatest range/better firing position will usually start firing first, but there's still a good chance the other party will have a chance to return fire. In Eve, people do not approach each other. They simply warp in, usually into the ambushing player's sweet spot, and combat starts with one side being able to fire at full effectiveness while the other side may not be able to fire back at all. Combine that with the fact that retreating doesn't exist on the conventional sense, and also consists of this same warping, though that's often jammed.

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by Mylon
    Gates aren't chokepoints. They're slaughter points. In most tactical situations, there is something that occurs called "approach". During this approach, whoever has the greatest range/better firing position will usually start firing first, but there's still a good chance the other party will have a chance to return fire. In Eve, people do not approach each other. They simply warp in, usually into the ambushing player's sweet spot, and combat starts with one side being able to fire at full effectiveness while the other side may not be able to fire back at all. Combine that with the fact that retreating doesn't exist on the conventional sense, and also consists of this same warping, though that's often jammed.

Are you still talking about Gatecamping? (this approaching stuff doesn't make it sound like it)
    Because Gatecamps, as was already said (we'r running in circles here) can be avoided/outsmarted.

And why should an amushing player warp in to a range that is advantageous for his victim? Or not use all available means to reduce to chances that the ambusher gets killed, by using EW?

And yes, retreat exist, it's called "warping out".

@ SonOfAGhost: Mine in a system without station, and scouts need to check scanner regulary, problem solved. If possible have cloaked backup in belt at the ready. Problem definitely solved.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

Ok so from now on every "opinion" that you state has to be left unchallenged.... NOT! 

I feel The flaw lies with the new player going into a low security zone without checking or in a group.  

This game isn't for everyone.   If CCP listens to everyone then It will end up like every game.

It is growing in popularity even after 3 years... so it must be doing something right.

I don't play it anymore, it is too complex and it gives me a headache but I think it is an amazing game.  I just wish my feeble mind could enjoy that much detail.  

• CennCenn Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by Mylon

You do realise that you can check the scanner - see where the gates are located. Warp to the nearest planet/moon etc and then scan the gate. You will see immediately that the gate is "camped", and if there is a warp bubble there etc.

If you wimply warp in, you are walking into an ambush...

It is pathetically easy to _avoid_ a gate camp. Breaking through is a different matter of course.

• Crzycnck2Crzycnck2 Member Posts: 3

If anyone plans on moving ship(s) in low sec space where pirates frequent that are easily scrambled then a scout should be used. Otherwise you will die. If you are flying around in a stabbed out ship BS/Hauler using instas then you will be fine. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

As for fthe map, that doesn’t always help as the refresh rate is 30 min. so if the gate camp has been there for >30min then you will see them. The best way to check the map is ships kills in the last hour. That will give you a good indication of what the activity has been like.

One thing I love about eve is the complexity of the game. The politics alone are enough to boggle the mind. Luckily I’m a Mercenary and don’t have to worry about politic. I kill who I get paid to kill. Sorry little off topic.

Removing gates would make this game more interesting, however removing local is just plain silly. Having numerous scouts at gates to let the carebears know there are hostiles entering local is impractical. I used to be apart of an alliance that routinely raided Curse space. We always found miners that were not paying attention when we entered local and they always died. You have to be more vigilant when you are in low sec space (.4 and below) but removing local would make it almost impossible.  Anyone wanting local removed are just looking to get easier ganks.

How probes work is basically this. You set the probe to search for a certain type of ship and launch it and wait. once you result is received you warp to that bookmark. if you have use a 3 AU probe you should land within ~300km of your target. obviously you need a covert ops ship to make this viable. Using anything else would just let everyone know you're 300km from them and they will just smile and warp away. Probes are used to bust safe spots not to find out where the miners are. a proper use of your scanner will do that in 1/4 of the time.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I quit after 3 months because of gate campers. Eve crew are addressing the problem and they seem to be doing it without dumbing down the game. I hope they find a middle road solution. If there was an art to gate camping, good players would find it. Lazy people on the other hand would scream nerf and be sulking because they can't do what miners do in a PvP version. Sit for hours on end and cherry pick battles they can't possibly lose.

Space version Highway men should be a part of Eve but if Highway men stay put for too long, they get burned. What do I think devs could do? Put pirate colors on systems and start turf wars between the rats. If they were busy beating each other over the head for a camp right, humble miner could boogy through and not get a scratch.