Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bioware to make MMO

Comments

• duncan_922duncan_922 Member Posts: 1,670

With the Kotor I game under their belt, they're something to watch for sure. 

They are setting up in Austin Texas???  Isn't that where SOE's HQ are?  I hope they don't drink the same water though.

SOE knows what you like... You don't!
    And don't forget... I am forcing you to read this!

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

KOTOR Online?

That would be a HELLUVA idea for a MMO, as you'd have few timeline constraints, Jedi (and Sith) would be everywhere...

• sickboy_ukuksickboy_ukuk Member Posts: 26

**tin foil hat time**

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8485

Bioware = KOTOR

Pandemic = Battlefront

2 of the choices in the LA focus groups held a few weeks ago

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

I'm hoping this time someone hires a QA team that mildly understands the concept of regression testing.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

If there is going to be another Star Wars MMO it needs to be set in a different time period. Either during or after the Great Sith War, or around Episode 2 time. Both time periods would net 2 different factions, (Republic Vs. Sith during the Sith War, and Republic vs. the rising Seperatist threat if around episode 2) just like the GCW, and Jedi running around would not be an issue.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Spathotan
    If there is going to be another Star Wars MMO it needs to be set in a different time period. Either during or after the Great Sith War, or around Episode 2 time. Both time periods would net 2 different factions, (Republic Vs. Sith during the Sith War, and Republic vs. the rising Seperatist threat if around episode 2) just like the GCW, and Jedi running around would not be an issue.

Post episode 6... that's the sweet spot.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Originally posted by Shayde

Ahh yea, I forgot about that. Post episode 6 basically leaves the door open to anything, considering just about all the EU mess is made up by several random authors and isnt really "offical."

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

Ahh yea, I forgot about that. Post episode 6 basically leaves the door open to anything, considering just about all the EU mess is made up by several random authors and isnt really "offical."

Yeah, books aren't cannon. That, and the GCW could be interesting if each sides actually helped control sectors and such. Rise of the Jedi, both light and dark. They COULD incorporate Thrawn and Mara Jade (like they already did in SWG).. and loosely add anything they want from the books.

Real blank slate there.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

I refuse to play, unless 'Nunas with lightsabers' are implemented. Gah!

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• n2k3156n2k3156 Member Posts: 523

If they make a KOTOR online, I would most definetly give it a shot.

Regardless, I would still try an MMO from them even if it wasn't Star Wars, since I thought that KOTOR1 is one of the best games I've ever played.

NGE Refugee.

• GrimReapezGrimReapez Member Posts: 463
    BioWare's creative director, whose previous credits include lead or co-lead design roles on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II.

Vogel previously served as VP of product development for Sony Online Entertainment's Austin studio, as well as launching Ultima Online as a senior producer at Origin. Walton recently served as VP, studio manager and executive producer at Sony Online Entertainment as well as VP and executive producer at Electronic Arts.

Both working together? this MMO sounds good!

-
    Do not hate it, but instead embrace the diversity.

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526
    I wonder why everyone seems to set up shop in Austen ? Heck, they even hold gaming conferences there.
  • Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501

It seems that LA has officcially dumped SOE...  Both sides have shitferbrains anyways, you can soundly expect another cookie cutter MMO coming from these people...  A sandbox style SW game is forever gone, tis the era of WoW clones...

Thats okay though, EVE Online is a superb alternative to SWG...

• ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471

Interesting. Both Richard Vogel and Gordon Walton has been working with SWG in SOE lately. I guess that rumors about developers leaving SWG might be true.

Hopefully they are going to do scifi game instead of fantasy - but most likely it is going to be another fantasy game again.

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

• SelothSeloth Member Posts: 388

i left Austin recently, but there are some good reason to setup shop there.

a. local microbrew, there are some very good micro brews there

b. weather, what is snow?

c. tax breaks, austin has soem gr5eat tax laws for the high tech sector.

d. sxsw: again with the quaility of life stuff, south by south west is a fun concert fest.

e. ready supply of talent. don't ask me why but you can find c++ and all other kinds of programs there.

Honestly you can pretty much set up shop anywhere now a days, but Austing does have a great set of factors for your employees to enjoy when you are not bugg whipping them for code.

• ClaudeFRClaudeFR Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by admriker444
    I wonder why everyone seems to set up shop in Austen ? Heck, they even hold gaming conferences there.

Not sure, but we have something similar in the EU too, where companys choose the geographical middle for traveling reasons.

Is Autin the geographical middle of the USA maybe ?

For the topic itself:
    I would not be TOO enthusiastic:
    I remember Gordon Walter from the SoE boards, he was acting like a major tard back the days...

And i even THINK he was with "Electronical Arts" (EA) when they shut down "Motor City" and "Earth & Beyond".

For me, his name causes my hairs in the neck going up...

Claude

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Could you please explain...

"It seems that LA has officcially dumped SOE...  Both sides have shitferbrains anyways, you can soundly expect another cookie cutter MMO coming from these people...  A sandbox style SW game is forever gone, tis the era of WoW clones...

Thats okay though, EVE Online is a superb alternative to SWG..."

Sorry I'm a bit baffled and confused.  From the little press release we know we have a couple of guys that went from UO ---> down the road both eventually happened to work for SOE and left.

Combined with a development house that has made some decent games.

No mention of LA or what project Bio Ware is even making.  I just find your comment rather confusing and no idea exactly what you are referring to.  Could you please expand so I could understand what you mean and in relation to what?

Nobody makes WoW clones either... WoW is a clone of EQ and every other clone of that same class/level system.  The only thing WoW did was take the majority of positive aspect and streamlined the level process.  It didn't innovate obviously but it has succeeded (it makes money) in the only way any publicly traded company will ever care about.

Yet it is still a EQ clone and any other class/level game will most likely be one as well.

(for the record I personally hated the whole concept EQ and games like it were based on.  Which is why I was still playing UO into 2002... No other MMO has kept me 5 years).

As to the Austin thing... I never really knew.  Origin System Inc was the first company I really noticed in that area.  They did move partly into the New Hampshire area for a bit in the 1980's (I lived in Vermont) but Richard Garriott found new england depressing.  So back to Austin they went.

Most of the Developers in the early to mid 80's were actually in Cambridge MA... most likely due to the fact that MIT was right around the corner to hire people out the door.

I think they set up in Austin to collect soon-to-be-unemployed $OE employees cheap.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

• Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501

Originally posted by Antarious

Could you please explain...
    "It seems that LA has officcially dumped SOE...  Both sides have shitferbrains anyways, you can soundly expect another cookie cutter MMO coming from these people...  A sandbox style SW game is forever gone, tis the era of WoW clones...
    Thats okay though, EVE Online is a superb alternative to SWG..."
    Sorry I'm a bit baffled and confused.  From the little press release we know we have a couple of guys that went from UO ---> down the road both eventually happened to work for SOE and left.
    Combined with a development house that has made some decent games.
    No mention of LA or what project Bio Ware is even making.  I just find your comment rather confusing and no idea exactly what you are referring to.  Could you please expand so I could understand what you mean and in relation to what?
    Nobody makes WoW clones either... WoW is a clone of EQ and every other clone of that same class/level system.  The only thing WoW did was take the majority of positive aspect and streamlined the level process.  It didn't innovate obviously but it has succeeded (it makes money) in the only way any publicly traded company will ever care about.

You have to read between the lines, and I, like everyone else following the Trainwreck that is SWG have been eagerly anticipating who will make SWG2 (or the next SW MMO)...  SOE and LA made bad bedfellows, so it isn't that far of a stretch to say LA would give the licensing rights to a different company...

Stay with me here, its time to connect some dots...  BioWare made KOTOR, Pandemic (who has teamed up with BioWare) made SW Battlefront...  These are two of the most succesful SW games of all time...  There is no coincidence here, this new team already said they were working on a new "Space" title...  This has to be SWG2 or the next SW MMO...

And yes, eveything now will be a WoW clone, EQ is a far less of a game than WoW...  Does WoW use the same formula as EQ once did?  Sure, does a '06 Ford Mustang still use a combustion engine like the first Model T did?  Yep...  WoW is the end all and be all of MMO's now, this game will be mimiced by almost every major release until the BNet kiddies finally grow tired of it and want a challenge...  Then, and only then could we possibly see the return of a sandbox style SW MMO...

BTW, the new SW MMO will suck just as bad as the NGE...  KOTOR style gameplay is completely incompatible with an MMO...  The whole Jedi thing ruins the idea of any SW MMO, imo, you simply cannot configure an alpha class into a game without the BS that comes with it...

All you SW fans are hosed...

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Very interesting indeed and I sincerly hope bioware make a SW MMO and i'm sure they will do a much better job than $OE. Sadly, they are still much better known for their other rpgs like Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights... still i'm sure they will be smart enough to realise that all these fantasy MMO games are becoming boring and the sci fi setting is really an untapped money pile for the first developer to create the ideal game.
  • RexNebularRexNebular Member Posts: 259

I think they set up in Austin to collect soon-to-be-unemployed $OE employees cheap.

Hahahaha

Hahahahahahahahaha

Sorry. Just couldn't help it   image

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

Originally posted by Dis_Ordur

BTW, the new SW MMO will suck just as bad as the NGE...  KOTOR style gameplay is completely incompatible with an MMO...  The whole Jedi thing ruins the idea of any SW MMO, imo, you simply cannot configure an alpha class into a game without the BS that comes with it...

Why does Jedi have to be an alpha class?  My non-jedi characters in KOTOR had no problems beating Jedi and were just as fun to play (ie scoundrel class using stealth and sniper shot). 

Personally I like the gameplay style of KOTOR and think it could easily work in an MMO with some basic changes.  Obviously there could be no pause during combat like in current version.  The real-time turn-based combat with the action queue is my favorite style of play.  The attributes/skills/feats options seem like it would work very well in a MMO.  Im not a game developer so whatever other changes in gameplay that would need to be changed could be explained it to me.  I can say that KOTOR was/is my favorite game ever played and would even love a multiplayer version.  A MMO version would be a dream come trueimage

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • Gane1Gane1 Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by Dis_Ordur

KOTOR style gameplay is completely incompatible with an MMO... The whole Jedi thing ruins the idea of any SW MMO, imo, you simply cannot configure an alpha class into a game without the BS that comes with it...

I don't think Jedi will be an alpha class in SWG2, it will probably be the ONLY class. They will break it down into defender, powers, etc.

I'll try it out, but chances are it will have no depth at all.

• JeyhuJeyhu Member UncommonPosts: 90

**tin foil hat time**

Bioware = KOTOR

Pandemic = Battlefront

Post a link that shows this was on the focus groups?

• sickboy_ukuksickboy_ukuk Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by Jeyhu

**tin foil hat time**
    Bioware = KOTOR
    Pandemic = Battlefront
    Post a link that shows this was on the focus groups?

sure

http://swg.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=16;mid=114160741835269157;num=0;page=1