Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I do not care for the stars system

nexus42nexus42 Member Posts: 288

Let me say that MMORPG.com is a great site in my opinion. I make it a point to visit here at least once a week or so, sometimes more.

The only real qualm I have with the site is the star system. While I realize that it has a multifold purpose, namely to prevent spammers from jacking up game ratings as well as serving as an incentive for increased patronage, I don't think it's a perfect system. After having been a member here for nearly two years and making a number of posts, I still rarely am able to rank games. I just don't log in enough.

Now I am pretty knowledgable about the genre, as well as being in a good economic demographic for your advertisers. But the star system feels 'cheap' to me. Consequently I come here less often and make less posts than I might.

What I would propose is to get rid of the 'Novice' ranking for members who have been here for at least a year. Put in something like 'Grandfathered' and/or at least set our ranking high enough to where we can participate in the community as much as anyone else.

Keep up the great work and I'll be coming back regardless.

...Pika

Comments

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Good suggestions.

I've forwarded this on to our programmers. However, at this time, all resources are on getting the site moved to new servers.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• SarenniaSarennia Member Posts: 127

Originally posted by Lepidus
     However, at this time, all resources are on getting the site moved to new servers.

Good cuz the site has been a bit buggy and so.
  • alex007152alex007152 Member Posts: 178

i like the idea!

~Alex007152~

• KaalinnKaalinn Member UncommonPosts: 121

I concur.

The system as it is now is actually less rewarding than simply counting the total posts made. You still have to post a lot but you also have to do it in a certain timeframe. You take 2 weeks vacation and fly somewhere you cant access the net from and you're down to 2 stars while having 3000+ total posts.

Not saying a total post system would be good either, but the current one is even worse.