Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me like this plz.

So yah, I like the concept of a pirate/ship/port conquer game and have gone through a lot of their site as well as some dev interviews. But I think my limited imagination is having trouble believing that this will be an expansive and deep MMO world. How are they making gameplay deep and immersive? This isn't a flame, I really would like to hear the specifics that you are all excited about.

You're either out on the water or walking around the port, right? You can't go inland? Can I swim?

Will the questing be limited to -sink such&such ship(s)-, or are there more things to do on your ship other than hunt other ships? Fishing maybe? I'm sure they'll have courier missions galore.

The combat system looks cool, taking into account things like wind direction during a fight is a neat idea too. But what kinds of things can I spend my booty on other than upgrading the ship?

From what I can tell, its a 90% shipcentric game with a main goal of capturing ports for your nation. I'm sure there will be some eye candy to be had, but when that newness wheres off, what am I missing?

-- I need a nerf --

Comments

• Tau_SilverTau_Silver Member Posts: 6
    I think those are some excellent questions. So far I've been very excitted about the game, but the same things have been bothering me, if the game is centered around ships and ship combat; Then its not much different than EVE. I'm intrested in the length and Bredth of this Economy i hear rumors about. The concept of being able to Design your own Flag, Sails, Ships and the like is cool (or a way to save on Dev costs?), But what kind of other things can i do Besides waste my time running around hunting ships or getting brownie points with a NPC Faction? image
  • FaemusFaemus Member Posts: 321

Yup. I got a response from a forum admin at a POTBS community site about whether or not they will have swimming or fishing in the game. They said that neither are in the game, but its possible in the future. . .

Thats the kind of thing that worries me. I mean, If this is an MMORPG centered around life on the ocean and you can't cast out a rod & reel... I dunno.
    /hoping for the best

-- I need a nerf --

• freethinkerfreethinker Member UncommonPosts: 775

this really bothers me too. i was really hoping for a roleplaying type game than an all-out war game.

/still keeping my eye on it.

==========================

• AtohAtoh Member UncommonPosts: 107

The Dev's have long since said that R1 is ship-centric, and until a short time ago, there wasn't even avatars planned for R1. The reason they give is that instead of throwing many half-assed designs and systems in place for launch, they are centering on what will be the meat of this game: Ship combat. After release, they are planning on a deep economic model, player crafting, player plantations/buildings and many, many more things. All in all, I think they are taking the right approach.

• DevilHawkDevilHawk Member Posts: 179

I have been watching this game for a long time now. The above posters have every reason to be worried, and doubtful.

Im not stating that the game will be shallow, or wont be.. just that most publishers/devs to date that have promised such and such, later on... never deliver. Or when they do release, such and such expansion, patch.. whatever, it has drasticly missed the mark.

Flying labs, to date... seems to have taken the "push it back til it works" approach with PoTBS. Wich is a good thing. But the real question "Is this just another skin of a previously released game" has yet to be answered.

For me, as long as a product doesnt list SOE anywhere, Im willing to give it a chance. And todays gaming community really needs to come together and let these developers know, its not ok to push out junk.. just because the only thing available at this time is junk.

Ok /madrampantrambelling off...

The devs at FlyingLabs seem to have their heads screwed on strait, so all we can do is x our fingers and wish them the best as they finish the product.

• PopetePopete Member Posts: 8

One of the key thinks that I think will keep people intrested is its immersive combat. The game is based on skill no on +1 cannons of doom!!!! you actually have to do something when fighting not sitting back and clicking a spell macro. The core game mechanics and combat I think will definently keep the game interesting for a long time, and more and more ideas and concepts are being added to the list of post r1 release. Avatar combat looks like it could become a very exciting part of the game. Also they plan on adding land combat later on, fishing is also being considered. but for release there is more than meets the eye, such as pirates working to attain large warships such as the 104 gun ship of the line this is the big prize in the game capture one of these and every navy player in the game will be after you. Port conquests will play an interesting role as new ports are added to your factions list opening up new resources and such, I think the game has lots to do at release and im am very confident its all high quality too.

• Matin61Matin61 Member Posts: 63

I think you will find this game to be somewhat different than most MMORPGs.  That doesn't mean better or worse.  The game will simply be different.

Now, they have avatars in the game.  They walk around in period costume and do very tasks in port.  However, the real richness of the game comes from ship to ship combat.  Two sailing ships approaching one another to trade broadsides at 100 meters is an impressive sight.  Your ability to use the wind to move your ship in position to take out another ship will decide your success.  This will be a game where your ship must become an extension of yourself.  That really gives you a different kind of experience than running up to the nearest rat and bashing the rat in the head.

Captain John Matin
    Royal Red

• SargsaftSargsaft Member Posts: 29

I think they r going in the right direction with the game.....so yeah I dig the ship combat. but they will eventually add personal crafting, an economy 1on1 avatar fights.... so it is not going to be shipcombat only...

• FaemusFaemus Member Posts: 321
    Hmmm. . . This thread was nearly a month old when suddenly several people jump on board (pun)  within a period of 48 hours and start giving all kinds of feedback.

What happend? You all fanboi's? Or part of the development community and are ramping up marketing efforts? Or beta testers who who were recently freed from NDA's and want to tell us all about PotBS coolness? 

-- I need a nerf --

Oh, I agree that the game will have more depth than simply ship combat.  However, sailing ship combat isn't exactly the same as rolling up a halfling rogue and practicing your back stab.  Again, I'm not saying that you won't enjoy the combat, I'm just saying the game will play a bit different than the standard MMORPG.

Now, they already have added many tactical and strategic elements that will make this game more interesting than your run of the mill MMORPG.  They have already added a player economy that will drive players to transport goods and conquer ports.  They have worked on avatar combat that will make boarding actions interesting (may not make release.)  They will have large scale battles where you are likely to see Fleets of Ships of the Line square off against a strategic objective.

They also plan to release in the Asian market with Western Pacific scenario.  That should see you sailing a War Junk against Pirates in the South China Sea.  All in all, I think this game will provide a ton of interesting game play for years to come.

Captain John Matin
    Royal Red

Someone pointed out this site existed, so I'm new around here.  PotBS has been in development for a while, but I've only been following since October I think.  I definately don't work for the developer.  If I told you who I worked for I would be forced to kill you.  Therefore, let's just avoid that issue.

I have little doubt this will be the next game I play.  Why?  First, I'm a history major and this particular historical age interests me.  Second, I love military simulations even from the Age of Sail.  Third, I'm convinced that the developers have made and will continue to make the correct design decisions.

I was also a fan of AC2 and SWG until they announced some design decisions late in the process of developing those games.  I knew in my heart they were making the wrong decisions.  However, I still layed down the money.  My feeling on this game is different and I feel the game is worthy of my support.

Captain John Matin
    Royal Red