Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sniffing around for beta?

chromdomchromdom Member Posts: 10

Filed 02-15-2005 by Joseph Blancato
While at least a year from being ready for beta, the current version of the game runs well, with graphic quality already equal to that of second generation MMOGs. Icarus boasts both 5.1 and 7.1 Dolby Surround support. They're also working on a physics engine which will influence grenade trajectory, as well as how vehicles react on terrain. Additionally, terrain and some buildings are destructible: we were shown a weapon (for demo purposes only, we were assured), which produced a particle beam that dug a large hole into a road. The actual technology will probably be used for trench digging, as well as blast patterns created by explosives. Hettinger said, “You want the players to affect the world... many games feel like you're playing in a sandbox.”

So that was just over year ago on WarCry. Anybody hear anything encouraging?

PS I'd link it, but there seems to be something weird going on where a slash (like in http:slashslash) ends the post. Anybody else getting this, or am I just lucky?

Comments

• sinothsinoth Member Posts: 175

The slash ends the post only in the preview... pretty sure it works when you actually post it. Give it a try ::::02::

http://www.fallenearth.se - Your source for Fallen Earth information

• chromdomchromdom Member Posts: 10

Well, it's linked directly from the FE site (www.fallenearth.com, if you've somehow magically appeared here without knowing what we're talking about). Just go to the WarCry link there on the front page, and that's it.

Point is, WC (not they are in a position to say anything authoritatively) popints out we could be gearing up for an early beta any time now. Is there any reason to believe them, or to believe they are wrong?

• PerfectlotusPerfectlotus Member Posts: 5

Well Im split myself in this. On one side its like this game almost feel ready for a launch any second, on the other side theres this with Icarus focus on detail and readyness before taking next steps. Wich sets them aside from at least the majority of developers.

Wich imo can mean either we can have a beta tommorow or in like 2 years ...

With the rest of you I hope its the first of course ;)

• GrimCreepGrimCreep Member Posts: 121

There was talk a about a month ago about a newsletter that was soon to be let out and I have yet to see hide nor hair of this long awaited message of hope.

Anyone got any good news to share?image

Lead with your face and role with the punches.

• CthulhuvongCthulhuvong Member UncommonPosts: 433

I remember that somewhere they said there will be a beta this year, but they didn't say when. So it could be December 31st at 11:59 PM or it could be tomarrow. One thing about them is they are like Blizzard when it worked on the Diablo, Starcraft, and Warcraft games. They worked on it, never said when it was coming out, and just said it would be done when it was done. Thats a good thing, especially since we've seen alot about it and seen how far they already are, and heard a ton about them already. At how far they are now, unless they loose everything or come across a major gamebreaking error, they'll be done within the next 2 years.

Waiting For: something good
    Games Tried: SWTOR, Star Trek Online, EQ, EQ2, Earth and Beyond, Planetside, Lineage 2, Eve Online, WoW, City of Heroes, City of Villians, Auto Assault, Fallen Earth
    Star Wars: Galaxies - Ibra Olasi (Valcyn Server) [Dead, screw you SOE]