Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bashing SWG

I'm sick of people bashing the heck out of SWG, considering the majority of the people that do are users that started during the first month and realized that the game wasn't finished and then put it down and have been cussing it ever since.  That is not a fair judgement for the game.  No MMORPG has been bug free on release, that is a known fact.  It is true SWG was full of bugs, and still is no doubt, but the bottom line is its a successful online RPG, and it always will be.  No matter how bad the majority of you hope its not.  Ratings mean nothing, every single gaming website can give it bad reviews, every single reader review site can give it bad reviews, but it will still flourish.  The game is unfinished and its simply not fair nor right to judge a game in its current condition.  You also have to realize that this is one of the first MMORPG's based off of a movie, and its a new type Genre to SOE, so they should be cut a little slack.

Free Your Mind

------

Helios

Comments

• MotorheadMotorhead Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Originally posted by Helios2004
    Ratings mean nothing, every single gaming website can give it bad reviews, every single reader review site can give it bad reviews, but it will still flourish. 

So every web-site, and every reviewer are wrong, but you're correct?

No, I don't think so.

SWG sucks, plain and simple.  Always has, always will.

----------------------------------------------
    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." -- Batman

• Helios2004Helios2004 Member Posts: 18

No Motorhead, wrong, you missed the whole point on what I am trying to say.  I am not saying that they are all wrong and that I am right, I am saying that the majority of the ones that rated the game already hasn't given it a fair chance.  We all know this.  And as I said, the bottom line is that the game has over 300,000 users.  So as I said, ratings do not matter.  I am not saying anyone is right or wrong.  Consider this fact: well over 70% of the people on this site probably cannot stand SWG, but that simply does not mean that it is not a success, and as much as all of these people want it to fail, it will not, plain and simple.  That was my point.  I am not badmouthing users from this site, reader revieews, or any website.  Read more carefully before making an assumption like that.

Free Your Mind

------

Helios

• Rad_RooferRad_Roofer Member Posts: 153

I don't think the game is "flourishing" because it is a great game!  It is because of ALL the Star Wars (for lack of a better word) "freaks".

I agree that the game is considered a success as far as SOE goes, but hey, if you poopie in a can and call it Wookie dodo, I'm sure there will be plenty of people to buy it.  image

I was a SWG player....the main reason I quit was lack of content.  It gets pretty old, pretty quick.  I've ran from one side of the planets to another!  HONESTLY....I maybe missed 1 or 2, but I had to think of something to do!  I killed my fair share of creatures, and did MORE then enough crafting...

Anyway, I didn't mean to rant or rave.....just wanted to say that the main reason SWG will flourish is because of all the Star Wars fans....(that's a better word)  image

---------------------------------------------
    http://www.simulatedsports.com

http://www.hattrick.org

• FinbarFinbar Member UncommonPosts: 187

The better word that you are seeking red roofer is 'star wars fan boi's'. These guys will like anything Starwars. God only knows they probably even liked the movies (b grade sci-fi crap that they are).

The fact that the game was judged on its release quality is not really an issue. As was said above all mmorpg's are rough on release (except for daoc, ac2, FFXI, etc etc, that did have bugs but were not hands down broke like most mmorpg's). Reviewers of SWG did take into account that it was forced to release by the lucas arts corporation. And of course realize all the points that you made. Most reviews took all that into account, and still reviewed it poorly. I check in on it every now and again, and to me it is still in the alpha phase of game creation. Ok sure maybe someday about a thousand years doen the road the game maybe good, but untill then it sucks. And frankly I resent sony ripping people 80 bucks each for this hardly playable phantomime of a game. It's just a randomly created pupit show, full of so called theam parks (they failed to even keep the language in-game). Anyway you let me know when the game is finished, and when im done the highest level in eq7 i'll re-install swg and try it again. Until then i give it a -9 out of 100%.

FINBAR
    ---------------------------------------------
    Now Playing: FFXI Midgardsormr Svr.
    For beta info, or other contact info
    see the user info section.

FINBAR
    -------------------------------------------

• SquittySquitty Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by Finbar

1. God only knows they probably even liked the movies (b grade sci-fi crap that they are).
    2. Most reviews took all that into account, and still reviewed it poorly. 

3. It's just a randomly created pupit show, full of so called theam parks (they failed to even keep the language in-game).

1. You do realize we are talking about Star Wars here right? Star Wars, being one of if not the most popular trillogy of all time. That doesn't just happen by fluke, the movies must be good.

2. We all know the game had a bad launch, even for a MMORPG. But I think it deserves a re-review because the game has had so many features added, and bugs fixed. The reviews out now are all based on the bad buggy launch, but if you bought the game and played it now, it is an entirely diferent game.

3. Randomly created puppe................... what?

Brunel hit my point exactly, that is it.  Its all about now, not what happened in the past.  We know exactly how everquest started, it crashed for almost a full month before it got started.  If reviewers would have judged it within the first 3 months of it being created, it would have got horrible reviews as well.  Just as Brunel quoted, its a totally differant game now and it definitely deserves to be re reviewed.  That is the whole point I was trying to get accross in the first place.

Free Your Mind

------

Helios

• Originally posted by Finbar

The better word that you are seeking red roofer is 'star wars fan boi's'. These guys will like anything Starwars. God only knows they probably even liked the movies (b grade sci-fi crap that they are).

Heh, you are very funny!

If you feel the first 3 SW movies are 'b-grade' then by your definition EVERY SINGLE movie ever made is b-grade !!!!

Now, name your 5 most favorite movies! ;)

You can say 'I personally disliked the first 3 SW movies after I personally watched them'. That is fine. Some people dislike sci-fi and fantasy movies.

BTW, Star Trek is Sci-Fi. Star Wars is fantasy. SW never dwells on technology, or how things work. 'A New Hope', 'Empire Strikes Back', 'Return of the Jedi' are 100% about the characters, people, character developement. Lucas (he even admited it) simply took a tale of 'wizards 'n knights' and put it in space. There is no difference between SW and Excalibur, or Lord of the Rings, or Once and Future King.

• Originally posted by Helios2004
    I'm sick of people bashing the heck out of SWG, considering the majority of the people that do are users that started during the first month and realized that the game wasn't finished and then put it down and have been cussing it ever since.  That is not a fair judgement for the game.  No MMORPG has been bug free on release, that is a known fact.  It is true SWG was full of bugs, and still is no doubt, but the bottom line is its a successful online RPG, and it always will be.  No matter how bad the majority of you hope its not.  Ratings mean nothing, every single gaming website can give it bad reviews, every single reader review site can give it bad reviews, but it will still flourish.  The game is unfinished and its simply not fair nor right to judge a game in its current condition.  You also have to realize that this is one of the first MMORPG's based off of a movie, and its a new type Genre to SOE, so they should be cut a little slack.

Free Your Mind

Hellios2004,

There's nothing wrong with anyone saying they dislike SWG. The real thing is engaging in constructive criticism.

'This game sucks!' 'This game is a waste of money!' . And leaving it at that is really a waste of space and storage on this site MMORPG.com

If people would use more brain cells, and go on and state WHY they feel the way they do. And what they suggest would solve the problem, then they are helping everyone - including theirselves (increase the chance of making the game better so they will also enjoy it.)

xplororor,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

That is the problem though, no one is doing that, and no one gives reasons.  I'm almost willing to bet that over half the people that bash it and talk bad about it haven't even played it.  I mean, heck, look at the poll on the home page, 61% of people have never played the game, out of about 5,000 users.  So what does that tell us?   About 2,800 people on the site have never played it and never will.  That’s my main point, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with criticizing the game, I'm just saying that the majority of the people here either haven't played it and don't have a right to bash it, or quit in the early days of it.

Free Your Mind

------

Helios

• BladeBlade Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Yeah there might be a lot of bug in the games and yeah it gets really boring at some point but become a jedi and trying so hard to become one thats what i like about it. No one can just become one right away they have to work for it. Also the missions arent so bad yeah they might move a lot but you have ur good and bad days. The only thing i would do is put more races in the damn game cause when u play the game u see NPCs that are races that you cant be and thats kind of dumb. In all i think if we wait it out and see what they come up with then we will see.

• Hey it's Blade !

Is this THE Blade?

The one from Blade's Battlestation?

Nice seeing you cruise by in your brand new Landspeeder!

('bout time they added some cool land vehicles! Now SWG has another reason for me to divide my time from Anarchy Online)

ehh do i know you?

• MakaneMakane Member Posts: 232

Uhh I'm not going into why this game sucks, as this has been discussed a million times on different threads. I played SWG from beta to 4 months after release. It was fun during beta and at release, now it's a flaming piece of dog feces. If giving money to jackasses for nothing is your bag, more power to ya. I, on the other hand, want some content for my $15 a month. There are many other games out there that offer much more gameplay than SWG...

/deepbow

MAKANE
    (Horizons: Malakye Revan - lvl 17 Mage, lvl 7 Scholar on Bounty)

"I've seen the top of the mountain, and it is good".

• Makane ,

SWG has been out 6 solid months. A TON of things, features, game mechanics, and content has been added and changed in just the last month alone.

Looking back on MMORPG history, it's always been roughly 1 year after release when a new MMORPG gets past its growing pains and starts entering its prime.

Right now, as of December 2003, SWG is a very fun MMORPG to play. They've also added Player Cities, Land vehicles, as well as flipped the 'FS' aka Jedi switch on.

The SE is roughly 1 year , or less, away. (IMHO 6 months away.).

[BTW, i appologize for the all Bold, for some reason it won't allow me to shut it off no matter how many times I try.]

• Originally posted by Blade

ehh do i know you?

Blade, if it is really you (The Blade from Blade's Battlestation) I want to say it's great you're able to get out even with your new scheduale and promotion. ;)

I haven't had as much time as I used to , to visit Blade's Battlestation.

(BTW your Village Photo pic doesn't show up. Heh.)

think you got they wrong guy bud i have no clue what blade's battlestation is lol

• Originally posted by Blade
    think you got they wrong guy bud i have no clue what blade's battlestation is lol

I see. I guess it's very possible there can be more than one Blade.

The most well known Blade, is a guy who runs one of the oldest every SWG fansites called

Blade's Battlestation

It impressed SONY enough that they list his site at their official site links list:

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/fansites.jsp?page=Fan%20Sites

Here is a direct link to it:

http://www.rpgplanet.com/starwars/

Blade is also a super  experienced vet of the MMORPG Ultima Online.

• Originally posted by SanTropez

SWG Sucks. I played it.
    http://wasabi.westblue.com/users/santropez1971/My%20Game%20Screenshots/Star%20Wars%20Galaxies/

Exactly what about SWG did you dislike?

What would you have done right now to make SWG better?

Was there anything about SWG that you did Like?

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========
    =========================
    MMORPG games I've played:
    -------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    -----------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

• SanTropezSanTropez Member Posts: 12

I disliked so many things it is hard to come up with a thorough list here. But some of the big ones are...
    Class Nerfing after Retail Release (CH for example)
    Massive Changes to gameplay after Retail Release (No Houses on Planet x, Baz Nitch's are uber for example)
    No High End Content (no example needed)
    Game Engine physics (a person can get shot from behind a wall or hill)

Never have hired Raph Koster.
    Put more money into PlanetSide.

I loved the way pets worked. (train them in the field, let them grow, very cool)
    I loved the graphics. (very pretty)
    I loved the concept and world layout. (Not that much running, risky yet fun)

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by SanTropez

so very very true

He pretty much single handedly destroyed any hope

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• Negative71Negative71 Member Posts: 162
    BTW, Raph is gone from the SWG project and only posts about it occasionally in the official forums. He's been promoted to some SOE creative team management role which I do not recall the exact title of, at present. He's been gone for some time now. (couple months already)

-- Death to picture-sigs. --

• LazybonesLazybones Member Posts: 18

-CONTENT? What CONTENT? There simply wasn't enought things to do. They started to role things out like the warren but they where simple to easy to complete.. You could blast through a monthly updates content in a few hours of play.. Then you where back the the Lair SPAWN-O-MATIC to get things to kill.

Sure you could go hunting on the higher planets but it was really a matter of killing off waves of the same damn spawns.

The themparks where lame they gave you broken items of no value for rewards that made no sence.

If you are going to claim the players are supposed to make content then give them some tools.. You can't even take out private bounties on other characters.

Spend a few months making non FedEx quests.

Fix the classes and LEAVE THEM ALONE.. Its fine if some of them are more powerfull than others.

- The graphics where cool

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Lazybones

The themparks where lame they gave you broken items of no value for rewards that made no sence.

Heh, how many of us like the fishing rod Jabba the Hutt gave us (on Tatoinne, no doubt)

Or the lovely bed (that you couldnt sit on) or the lovely fake food. lol

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.