Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MMORPG genre needs more ... much more

I remember being desperate to get involved in the MMORPG genre. When I got an internet connection I rushed to my local game store and snapped up the only MMORPG available on the shelf. It was AO.

I played AO for about 18 months and had a great time. I never reached the level cap because, to be honest, it never really interested me. I was more interested in interacting with other players and I had some great times RPing after I got to know an ARK event character.

I realised, in the end, that I was bored when all I wanted to do was run about with my Trox in a bikini telling people how sexy I felt!!

Since then, I've been through a succesion on MMORPG; EQ, AC2, Neocron, DAoC, EaB, Eve and SWG.
I've listened to the hype about them all being "next-Gen" and it's rubbish. They are all variations on a theme with nicer and nicer graphics.

Does anybody else feel as jaded as I do?

When is the REAL next-gen of MMORPGs gonna come along?

I've decided today to cancel my last two remaining subscriptions, Eve and SWG. I'm gonna play some single player games for a while.

I guess what I want from each new MMORPG is new gameplay elements. Professions / careers should provide different ways to play instead of just providing different ways to support your party in combat.
Here's an example (off the top of my head) ...

Imagine a "cyber-punk" game where a group is given a mission to steal some documents from EvilTech Corp's offices by an independant news broadcaster. Instead of just running there and going in guns blazing, it should involve some planning ...

Hire a CHEMIST to make some sleeping gas pump into the air conditioning system.
Get a NET RUNNER to steal the plans of the building's air conditiong system.
Commision a mechanic to make a system that can be attached to the air conditioning.
Break into the maintainance company and nick some maintenance worker uniforms.
Install the sleeping gas delivery system.
Co-ordinate the raid with your NET RUNNER and get him to unlock doors, disable security cameras and alarms and feed imformation to the group.
Hire a GET AWAY DRIVER for a quick escape.

What about "counter missions". If the raid goes wrong and alarms get triggered what about all COPS in the area being ordered to attend.

Maybe I'm expecting a bit to much here, but surely the genre should have moved on by now. I don't think I'm asking for the moon on a stick just something a bit more cerebral than combat and crafting.

What do you guys think?

----------------------------------
Don't jump off the roof Dad
You'll make a hole in the yard
----------------------------------

Comments

• ParaTrooperParaTrooper Member Posts: 1,961

Honestly i feel there won't be a next gen mmorpg for a while, simply because a different theme and gameplay won't really change much from what there is at the moment. The other limiting factor is technology really... most games r gettin close to being very realistic. After this happenes the only next step will be some weird thingy like from the matrix where you will acctually go into the game like that and be there.... and along come all it's associated problems.

As for " The MMORPG genre needs more ... much more" well the only thing at the moment i guess they can do is just keep working on the graphics modified gameplay with un thought of themes and there are alot of them out there.

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
    -----------------------------------------
    ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

There is one really serious problem with creating a MMOG that revolutionizes how you play classes, and that is class balance. The amount of whining done by MMOG players about the superiority of one class over another reaches epic proportions in every MMOG I've ever seen. Inevitably, the homogonization of every class becomes the end-result...and thus you don't really get a sense of a game breaking the mold.

You can find some niche games that break the mold, but they do not tend to reach a broad audience, for many reasons. But, in my opinion, the primary reason for that is that they do not approach MMORPG gaming in a style that satisfies most people...and I think that most people are looking for the tried and true formula that you find in most of these games. I know it's what I like, even though it's fun to try out some alternatives from time to time.

Half the time thats just because ppl don't know how to or just arn't good at playing whatever class they are. Other times its just that some classes are better than others in different situations and those situations arise more often than others.

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

Sooner or later that "master" MMORPG that will be played for years and years, expansion after expansion.. Will come along. And lets just say, this year wasn't one of those years lol.

Lets put 2003 behind us for MMORPG's and look forward to a (hopefully) successful 2004 that will change the MMORPG world forever... And hey, if not, there's always 2005 image

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server

2004 predictions: Final Fantasy XI will die a quick and painful death :P

Everquest will finally shut down as no1 will play it anymore seeing as there will be EQ2 which will maintain a relativly small population.

SWG will release their expansion only to realize that no1 like them and no1 will buy it other than by mistake thinking it was Star Wars: Knights of the old republic.... a good game :)

Lineage will only be played by people in Korea or people with old computers
    Meanwhile Lineage2 will be a great success for 6 months.

Middle Earth will just suck because, have u seen the way they are giving classes to races?!!! sigh they have no idea.

Ultima X: will follow in the footsteps of such "great" games as SWG.

The Matrix Online will be played by many people for the duration of the trial only.

Mythic will win their case against the evil MS and Imperator will become a highly anticipated game(really aint anythin bout it out now)

(Taking the worst rated game) Dominus Online will become the most played game!

And Blizzards WoW...... well what can i say it'll be huge..... but all good things come to a end eventually.... just like this year... oh well theres always CS lol! (thats gotta stop soon surely)

Ultima X looks great, it will never pull an SWG, never! That is going to be one of my top 3 games of 2004 i'll check out.

Thats the same thing everyone said about SWG

Yeah but UXO is giving us more info on the game, SWG was kind of a gamble people took when they got it. Personally, i'd have more luck buying some magic beans...

errrrm. There was %^&* load more info on SWG before release compared to UXO at the moment

I got quite a bit of info out of UXO at gamespot.com and by a bit i mean alot.

If you look at their official site and the videos at gamespot you should know the combat system pretty much has everything covered. I've never seen combat as well thought out as this.

• KnowledgeKnowledge Member UncommonPosts: 140

Well in response to Webbears post, let me just tell you that you are not alone my friend.  In fact, I am right there with you in the disappointing section of the MMORPG Fan Auditorium. 

I began playing my first MMORPG about 5 years ago with Ultima Online.  It was definitely one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life.  I was always in character, constantly roleplaying.  I never cared about leveling up because there were no levels.  I never had to sit there doing anything I didn't truly enjoy doing over and over and over again because skills raised as I had fun.  I truly love PvP, as it has always been way more exciting than PvM and UO offered lots of that.  Unfortunately things changed, such as the gameplay, and the lack of graphical beauty couldn't hold me to a game that was beginning to destroy its previously wonderful content.

To make a long story short, I eventually went on to other games such as EQ,AO,AC,AC2, and almost every other MMORPG under the sun.  Many times I was excited, sometimes I had fun, all too often I was eventually disappointed.

It seems that our beloved genre is now focused on treadmills, dependency and equality (kind of reminds me of my good old country, the United States).  Recently I have begun to fear that the MMORPG genre has been lost to the corporate bastards that have destroyed almost everything cool in this world.  Strange how I've almost begun to talk politics....let's not go there.

Either way I must say that I am just dying for a true "Next Generation MMORPG" or maybe just the "True Generation MMORPG".  When I think back to when I first started playing RPGs, I never remember popping in the good old Mystic Quest cartridge and hitting the fields to fight monsters over and over again until my level was capped.  Physical production always seemed to come on it's own while I, the player, had fun solving my quest.  Now I guess it's all about mathematical equations and scientific ways to lock our minds into these games so that we ignore our loved ones and trap ourselves in a world in which we have entered to escape what we end up doing anyway; work and stress.  I think they forgot that we began playing games and have continued to be faithful because at some point it was FUN, and that's what we are truly looking for.

In any case, I apologize for being long-winded.  Conclusively though, I'd like to assure you that I am with you all the way and I still have a bit of hope that some day soon we will be bless with what we've been patiently waiting for.

True Knowledge is Knowing that you Know Knothing!

• phunkymunkeyphunkymunkey Member Posts: 83

I am right there.  Since Classic UO, nothing has stuck for me besides Diablo II (not a true mmorpg).

I've gotten to the point where I am literally waiting for someone to take that old Classic UO format and imprint a current graphics engine over it and simply expand its content . . . . .ugh.  No levels was nice.

Permadeath and environmental challenges are the next great step in the evolution of MMORPGs. Only through true adversity will one feel accomplished. Only in truly knowing you can die will true adversity present itself.

• MattiusMattius Member Posts: 167

Ultima X could be a serious contender for No.1 spoils amongst English speaking players if the video's and smallish FAQ's ive read actually come to fruition. Lets face it, it certainly has the pedigree, Ultima is a word synonymous with MMORPG, you think MMORPG and you think Ultima, certainly the combat system, virtues, and the ability to become the ultimate avater are very appealing to me at least.

I just prey it doesnt become a lvling treadmill, and it appeals to those with less than 20 hours a week to spend.

The only way i can see a MMORPG reaching say, close to a million subscribers is to bring in a whole new bunch of players, and thats going to mean a LOT of promotion and tonnes of marketing...the "mainstream" so to speak, still have no idea about MMORPG, many dont even realise they exist on the scale they do now...

Promotion, marketing, hype, word of mouth...it will all contribute, fans of Ultima need to spread the word about the new and old ultima worlds, that exist and will exist soon.

Lets bring the casual player into the arena...i seriously hope EA make a game that the casual gamer can at least feel its worth their $10-$15 a month for.

• JohnnyCJohnnyC Member Posts: 56

I feel exactly the same way..  mm cept for me it was UO.. felt like it was missing somethings.. true all the games to come are just looking more glossy without any true extra game features, creativity, or jus that little bit extra. Every mmorpg currently released or to be released just looks like a clone out to take my money.. n i've played alot of em... hmm..  No longer is there originiality when there is so much still be done which is the really sad thing

I guess the main issue is that there are to many MMORPG's divideing us gamers from one another in my opinion... so we're gunna end up poplulations of 200 n stuff then no one will play anything lol

Guess we just need somone to take the cake n create the ultimate MMORPG n i don't believe this is happening any time soon either

• golembanegolembane Member UncommonPosts: 102
    It is pretty sad really that games being released anymore are all EQ clones. As someone else said before that MMORPG community would be far better off if there were more UO clones. I've played almost every fantasy based MMORPG out there and they should all be named "An EQ wanna be with spiffy graphics" I am going to play UXO just for the simple fact of the Ultima series is one of the greatest RPG's and UO is still the granddaddy of online games. I'm not looking forward to WoW. Characters look nice but the terrain looks kinda cheesy. Seems like WoW should be a pen/paper RPG(which it is) and not a MMORPG. Most everyone and their grandmas are making MMORPGs because of successes like EQ and UO. No thought is going into them to make them original. Which I must admit would be really hard to do unless whatever game servers came out enforced strict RPing on their servers which I doubt they would ever do. Just my two cents though.

• OzzonOzzon Member Posts: 44

Uhm guys... I think you missed one game in developement, that is Face of Mankind.

I think it's what most of you are looking for, that is no levels, focus on RPG, intresting missions, no mob farming.

It's a SF MMORPG currently closing to beta phase, I think that you should take a closer look at it.

www.faceofmankind.com

here is a trailer if you want to take a look at graphics: http://www.faceofmankind.com/index.php?page=videos.php&lang=en

• DisastormDisastorm Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by golembane
    It is pretty sad really that games being released anymore are all EQ clones. As someone else said before that MMORPG community would be far better off if there were more UO clones. I've played almost every fantasy based MMORPG out there and they should all be named "An EQ wanna be with spiffy graphics" I am going to play UXO just for the simple fact of the Ultima series is one of the greatest RPG's and UO is still the granddaddy of online games. I'm not looking forward to WoW. Characters look nice but the terrain looks kinda cheesy. Seems like WoW should be a pen/paper RPG(which it is) and not a MMORPG. Most everyone and their grandmas are making MMORPGs because of successes like EQ and UO. No thought is going into them to make them original. Which I must admit would be really hard to do unless whatever game servers came out enforced strict RPing on their servers which I doubt they would ever do. Just my two cents though.

yea your right alot of the mmorpgs out there are eq clones, but i dont think uxo sounds like it will be an eq clone.  they have that odysey adventure system and some other features that make it very unique.

• melachimelachi Member Posts: 37

"I realised, in the end, that I was bored when all I wanted to do was run about with my Trox in a bikini telling people how sexy I felt!!"

Man, I bet it's people like you who oppose all sorts of pvp :)

"I realised, in the end, that I was bored when all I wanted to do was run about with my Trox in a bikini telling people how sexy I felt!!"

ooo a trox in a bikini, now thats one ugly ugly sight..speaking from experience :) I have to say that some of the female modelling in AO is pretty nice, but the trox is a ugly beast. Pity about AO really, it had a lot of potential, it just fell into the trap of becoming a 24/7 campfest, at least now you can travel around SL with a reasonable amount of ease for those that still play it.

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

if any of you have ever played LotR: RotK
    that is a game, the combat is amazing, and yet so simple.

the immediate problem is people get bored of hte gaems features FAST.. as it is all slow and boring for hte most part, no button mashing, no on the endge of your seat action.. mmorpgs are all very.. relaxed.

in the not so immediate, they just need to add more,
    all these companies are saying "no NPCS"
    I say, FLOOD with npcs, make it a busy world, have npcs everywhere, killing nmes, make the world seem real. Having NPCS doing things players "could" be doing is just killing yourself.

I personally belive that the mmorpg designers should go gets ome good offline singleplayer/multiplayer rpgs, and learn form them, because people have and always will love these games, the majority dont like mmorpgs.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

Definately agree about NPC's there massively under-utilized in all the MMORPG's ive played, in AO in particular cause apart from quest related NPC's, they do very very little...unless the hold some phat loot, in which case they are slaughtered on a regular basis by those with the knowledge and numbers to carry it out.

Trading for example is conducted through "terminals" for normal items (Im not talking about the player trades which are conducted all the time, just normal buying and selling, for crafting etc )

The terminals simply display a window with items and corresponding price...there is no interaction...even some very mundane robot like interaction.

NPC should be used here....they should have unique outfits, basic + unique items, the basic item prices should remain stable while others would be subject to "market fluctuation" you should be able to barter with the NPC, you should be able to perform tasks that result in a nice discount for you...etc etc, all these things should be considered.

UO has more NPC interaction that AO...but its still pretty minimal. Player controlled NPC such as those in UO are a step in the right direction because they allow for the player to input their personality into their NPC selling there wares.

Ya MMORPG are fairly relaxed by nature...certainly not like a Quake fragfest or CS mayhem...

Im about to Planetside for a bit of "twich" action...although i doubt ill be entertained for long. Im still hanging for UO:X, and will probably give Horizons a whirl, since i dont mind being a bit of crafter.

....if they'd provide a downloadable client that is

• i feel just like webbear, though i enjoyed eve pretty much for 6 month, after that the missing content was my mayor issue with it, too. but all the other "eq-clones", well, they didnt even interest me for more than a month, if even.

and just as i stated in another thread, i would love to see something like a real cyperpunk-mmorpg, like shadowrun transfored into an online game, with more than just combat aiding as healing for a real and deep multiplayer experience. the example you used is about the same i am expecting from a REAL mmorpg...

and yes, i am looking forward to playing face of mankind, hoping to get into beta soon... until the "next gen. mmorg" is coming out  its singleplayer games for me again.

{vita somnium breve}

• TehBlindManTehBlindMan Member Posts: 20

I havent looked at every single post in here, but webBear1000... thats why I have started a MMORPG.

Not much realism put into alot of these mmorpg's and most of them are poorly though up games. Take neocron for an example. the combat system is all messed up. I tried it at last stage of beta and found it retarded mostly. I then went to SWG after it came out, bad idea wasting my 50bucks on that garbage. The game concept is good, but there isnt much fun in shooting a small reptile 50 times with some cheapo lazer gun again and again just to get up one level. Or going on this mission to shoot some crack heads in the forrest, only to find that your pistol doesnt to anything and they just knock you senceless with one swipe of their stick. After my first month was over, I put it away in dissapointment.

All these poorly made MMORPGs convinced me to start my own MMORPG exactly one year ago from now, or close to it. Realism is what I have in mind. Physics almost like half-life 2 or havoc... and hopefully we will implement some things that will allow you to do just what you said. Or very similar to it :P.

• atomicwebzatomicwebz Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by rathma
     Ultima X looks great, it will never pull an SWG, never! That is going to be one of my top 3 games of 2004 i'll check out. image

I also have done much research in this game and IT WILL BE one of the great
    ones for 2004. And offcourse WoW should rock even though my research has
    not gone into WoW much cause if I know anything about Blizzard they will delay
    this game out till late 2004. Meanwhile I'll be playing UXO..

>>AtomicWebZ<<
    O--{========>
    RipperX.Com & Olympicnetworks.Com

>>AtomicWebZ<<
    O--{========>