Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cannot install

Each time I try, the installer stops at one of the .stuff files and refuses to continue. For example: "Extract: error writing to resFace.stuff"

My gear: AMD Athlon 64 3200+, Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT, winXP, more than enough disk space and RAM.

Anyone else out there had similar problems installing?

Comments

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Download error.

Redownload.

It happens w/ files as large as EVE sometimes. Even if you download at 400kbps like me.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • JackthecamelJackthecamel Member Posts: 3

thanks

Tried that a while ago, I'm now getting a couple of .stuff files further than before untill it happens again... a step in the right direction I guess :)

First day of trial turning into a night now, maybe tomorrow I'll try downloading the installer for the third time.

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Try a different dl server.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

How much free space do you have left on your Hard Drive? I got this error before too.

When EVE installs it first extracts its files to a temporary directory before moving them to its final install directory. If you don't have enough space for the files to extract to, it will fail. EVE needs about 600MB installed, So I would make sure that you have at least 1.5 Gigs free just to be on the safe side.

If your not sure how to free up this much space, here are some suggestions:

Run Disk Cleanup Wizard. This will ask to delete all of the files used at one time by Windows, but are no longer needed. You can run it by going into the Start Menu and selecting...

Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup

When prompted, select the drive you wish to install EVE on (if you only have the one C: drive, you probably won't get asked this). Then check all of the boxes for which unused files it can delete - don't worry, none of these will be your personal files, program install, etc. Click OK and wait for it to finish. If afterwards you have at least 1.5GB or about that free, then go ahead and install EVE.

If the above fails to help you, you might want to try transferring files to another medium, like a separate hard drive or CD/DVD-R's, or uninstalling older programs.

Might not be your problem. GL on figuring this out!

//insert sig here
  • ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Jackthecamel

Each time I try, the installer stops at one of the .stuff files and refuses to continue. For example: "Extract: error writing to resFace.stuff"My gear: AMD Athlon 64 3200+, Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT, winXP, more than enough disk space and RAM.Anyone else out there had similar problems installing?

I have had this problem countless times with them from countless computers. All I could do is keep re-downloading it til I got a good copy.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• JackthecamelJackthecamel Member Posts: 3

Thanks for help everyone.

My mistake right from the beginning. The drive I was installing EVE into, has tens of gigs free space. But, what I didn't at first realize was that I had downloaded the installer to my OS drive, which had at that time only about 500 megs of space left.

So what I did was simply move the installer to the same drive where I'm installing into.

No proplems since.