Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE

OrionStarOrionStar Member Posts: 378

Why do people talk so much trash about SOE? It's seems to me that in order to be cool on forums you have to bash SOE into the ground? WTF did SOE do? I haven't had any problems... Please I want to know?

Comments

• fawdfawd Member Posts: 367

Well, everyone just joined the "I hate SOE" bandwagin basicly when they released the New Game Enhancements (also known as the NGE) for Star Wars Galaxies.  .   I person dont like the NGE, but, I trust SOE with my games.   SOE did an amazing job with creating the best MMORPG of all time, Everquest.  SOE did an extrodinary job creating the most sucessful MMOFPS of all time, Planetside.  SOE did a great job creating StarWars Galaxies, although it did not turn out the way many would have hoped. 

But finally, Sony Online Entertainment did an absolutely amazing job with creating, maintiaining and updating their newest title, Everquest 2.   PvP is amazing, the expansionpacks are unique.  The adventure packs are thrilling. 

SOE is a great company in my opionion...  The devs dont deserve the critization, nor does John Smedley.   Mr. Smedly created SOE for christs sake, he doesnt want its reputation destroyed. 

All in all, SOE deserves the recognition it deserves, a very supportful community.

x[SF]FawD

P.S.  btw, SOE shells out more content than any other gaming company, ever.

• MMO_MunkMMO_Munk Member Posts: 299

I will never purchase or play ANY SOE Product, even when they offer it to me FREE.

They are pathetic.

You must know nothing, if you do not know of SOE's doing to games, and how they suck the soul, and buyout other games.

lets go through their roster. What an award winner i assure you.

MAtrix Online- Dead
    Starwars Galaxies-Dead Fatal Blow NGE.
    Everquest (POP AND AFTER)-6 years played. Dead
    EverQuest 2 - Tried to be like WoW to much lost its place in MMO World.
    PlanetSide- Low populations about to take away monthly Fee.
    And a handful of crappy no name games not even worht the effort of listing, open your eyes, when the whole gmaing community is against something, they ussually did pretty bad.

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

SOE are known for rushing out their products half finished and releasing expansion after expansion half finished to just squeese all the money they can outta u.

I mean look at EQ2 2 adventure packs and expansions already. Have to pay extra for features and they charge you $18 if your in Europe :S No other mmorpg charges me VAT.

SWG has given them the bad name tho for how screwed up they made it and screwing over their customers.

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• deggilatordeggilator Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by MMO_Munk

MAtrix Online- Dead

In all fairness, Matrix Online was a bad game from its very creation. At the very least, once SOE acquired it, they went into great lengths to making it a more enjoyable experience.

Everquest kept a steady number of subscribers since 2002, so they must have done something right there as well. You may not like the game after PoP personally, but it was far far from death if around 500k players still liked it enough to continue playing it.

As for Everquest 2, to quote one of my RL friends who've recently begun the game and really enjoy it, "If WoW is Diablo, then Everquest 2 is Gothic". It does bare similarities to WoW and it did have some changes after release that brought it closer to WoW, but it still remains a game with quite some depth and good content.

There are valid reasons to bash SOE, for the way they handle their customers. They have a very bad customer support department (esp. the European one), they do not have good communication with the player community and they make changes trying to get a larger market share without worrying about the opinions of their existing customers (and SWG:NGE is a good example of this and it proved a failure, as it lost more than half its active subscribers).

But they should receive criticism where it's really deserved. Simply bashing them for everything is just silly.

Currently playing:
    * City of Heroes: Deggial, Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster. Server: Defiant.
    * City of Villains: Snakeroot, Plant/Thorns Dominator. Server: Defiant.

• deggilatordeggilator Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by scaramoosh
    I mean look at EQ2 2 adventure packs and expansions already. Have to pay extra for features and they charge you $18 if your in Europe :S No other mmorpg charges me VAT.

EVERY OTHER MMORPG CHARGES YOU VAT. It's a European Union law. I've been charged VAT in every single MMORPG I've played, incl. Anarchy Online (after 2003 when that directive was passed) and World of Warcraft. Needless to say that VAT charges are not profit for SOE or any other company.

A relevant Slashdot article. Quoting from ITWorld.com:
    "A directive requiring companies outside of the E.U. to start paying value added tax (VAT) on sales of electronically delivered goods and services to European customers came into effect Tuesday.

Under the new rules, companies selling electronically-delivered goods such as computer software and music downloads as well as subscription-based or on-demand broadcasting will have to pay VAT in accordance with the country where the customer is located."

Currently playing:
    * City of Heroes: Deggial, Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster. Server: Defiant.
    * City of Villains: Snakeroot, Plant/Thorns Dominator. Server: Defiant.

• Vin79Vin79 Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by fawd

SOE did an amazing job with creating the best MMORPG of all time, Everquest. 

Interesting, i though it was Verant who made the game, and SOE bought if from Verant. image

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    I have no problem with SOE and thoroughly enjoying playing EQ2. Those that bash SOE dont have a clue.
  • ObadnoObadno Member Posts: 401

Originally posted by Vin79

Interesting, i though it was Verant who made the game, and SOE bought if from Verant. image

Interesting the game didnt get popular till after SOE bought it image

The new EQ2, better than ever befor !
    don't click this link...

Originally posted by Obadno

Thank you.  imageimageimage

Thank you.  imageimageimage
  • MMO_MunkMMO_Munk Member Posts: 299

SOE did an amazing job with creating the best MMORPG of all time, Everquest. Interesting, i though it was Verant who made the game, and SOE bought if from Verant. imageInteresting the game didnt get popular till after SOE bought it image

I was playing it when Verant published it, Verant was Actually SOE BEFORE SOE CAME TO BE! It was sony's experimental company. And it worked well, so it became Sony Online Entertianment, so the company i hate with all my soul actually MADE my most loved game EverQuest. Depressing really. Very well known fact, just forgotten by many.

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

They did too much, what I know:

- Releasing Star Wars Galaxies way early filled with ugly bugs and so on.

- Hardly fixing any of the bugs leaving SWG a complete bugfest.

- Never fixed exploits in SWG which came to become such problems the game audience started to leave it.

- Revamps the game without telling the players before doing so (In 2 weeks the game will be completely revamped!)

- Promising alot of new content which they were not even thinking about creating while they truly are just developing a new revamp.

- Lying to the customers time after time after time ...

- Revamps the game with no options for veterans to play the game they bought.

- Revamps SWG and takes away every single aspect of it which made it special and turned it into a super linear easy-to-play WoW copy (or korean grindfest copy).

- Hardly has any good reasons for things they screw up.

Enough for you? You should have been there ... over at SWG when it happened and the time afterwards, yea, I do hate them, so incredibly much, can't believe I will pay them for playing EQ2 too... it's bizarre.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

Well, everyone just joined the "I hate SOE" bandwagin basicly when they released the New Game Enhancements (also known as the NGE) for Star Wars Galaxies.  .   I person dont like the NGE, but, I trust SOE with my games.   SOE did an amazing job with creating the best MMORPG of all time, Everquest.  SOE did an extrodinary job creating the most sucessful MMOFPS of all time, Planetside.  SOE did a great job creating StarWars Galaxies, although it did not turn out the way many would have hoped. 
    But finally, Sony Online Entertainment did an absolutely amazing job with creating, maintiaining and updating their newest title, Everquest 2.   PvP is amazing, the expansionpacks are unique.  The adventure packs are thrilling. 
    SOE is a great company in my opionion...  The devs dont deserve the critization, nor does John Smedley.   Mr. Smedly created SOE for christs sake, he doesnt want its reputation destroyed. 
    All in all, SOE deserves the recognition it deserves, a very supportful community.
    x[SF]FawD
    P.S.  btw, SOE shells out more content than any other gaming company, ever.

You are entitiled to your opinions mate and I agree that SOE have made some of the best mmorpg titles of all time (and ruined them after, planetside/swg *cough cough*) BUT you have made a few fatal mistakes. Mainly by saying Mr Smedley created SOE when he didn't, he took over as president when the last one left and after that, SWG in particular, took a turn for the worse. If you played swg and spent all that time to get a jedi before NGE, then realise that all that was for nothing, you would be hating Mr Smedley as well.

Also yeah SOE shells out the most content than every other gaming company but they also shell out the most buggy incomplete content than any other gaming company ;). Rage of wookies is still broken for godsake and don't even get me started on trials of obi wan.

To the OP: People bash SOE because of their business practices and how they sacrificed their curren fanbase in swg, to bring in a wider crowd.. so it was basically something like 50k left, 1k joined and well they are stuck in a big pile of cow dung trying to sort this mess out.