Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fresh Blood!!

Hi all,

I'm sure it's posted somewhere but a quick question or two.image

I just ordered the game, +2 expansions, for a very reasonable price. So a little advice is needed before i research some more.

Is there a months free trial??

What is the best Euro server??

Can i solo?? Or is grouping forced upon you?

Can anyone recommend a nice laid back (role play?) guild?? if there are any, that is. I may want to drift in and out rather than my several hours a day style of play.

From what i've seen, this game looks promising, any advice that you feel a newbie to this game should know?? I'm an SWG vet, amongst others, so MMO-wise i'm good. But without the Star Wars universe, most other games i tried didn't get me into the game quick enough to maintain interest.

Thanks in advance, look forward to seeing you guys in there.image

Aah, should add that my main char in SWG was master combat medic, master bounty hunter and novice pistolier. I like to play a ranged fighter with good healing for myself and team-mates. I also played with a pet/droid. So, can anyone recommend a proffession/combo(?) that has similar themes??

Also, had a cast of the runes, looks like i may be leaning toward a Norse faction.image

Comments

• DulainDulain Member UncommonPosts: 616

Yes there is 30 days to play with the initial purchase of the game. I'm not sure if you are purchasing a brand new game or not. You can also download a 14 day free trial. At my EB games, they have free DVDs for the 14 day trial with just about all of the expansions as well.

I'm not sure about the Euro servers, but there doesn't seem to be a Roleplay one. You can check the official Chronicles of Camelot page to find out some info about the servers. You may want to try out the Classic server if you don't have all the expansions.

You can solo, and it has been made a lot easier with the Catacombs expansion. Grouping is a primary aspect of the game though, and most encounters are centered around that. With the latest expansions they have introduced instanced dungeons which scale to the strength of your group. This game does take a while to get into as well. It takes time to build your character, and then acquire the equipment needed to RvR effectively. On the Classic server you will take less time to build your PvP character, but you can't just jump into end game RvR immediately. There are plenty of Battlegrounds along the way though, to get you a taste of some RvR action. The Catacombs expansion really helps with levelling up, especially if you are solo.

For Midgard if you wanted a pet then it would be either Bonedancer or Spiritmaster. I think you may have an easier time with the Bonedancer, but I like the Spiritmaster better myself. From what I've noticed the Bonedancer does great in the lower level Battlegrounds, but they don't get grouped much in the end game RvR. For your healing side you have the Healer and the Shaman. Both are great for RvR. The Healer is also the crowd controller for Midgard. He has access to stuns and mezzes as well as great healing spells. The shaman has good healing, as well as disease, poison and roots. In DAOC you run in an 8 man group, so you try to make it as effective as possible. If you are in a guild they will help you out though, so it shouldn't matter what you choose.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

1. I hope you ordered the EU version of the game. If you ordered the US version you will only be able to play on the US servers because the servers are run by 2 different companies.

2. If you purchase the game you get 30 days free

3. Do not play in EU so I have no idea about all of those questions

4. You will want to play either a healer type character or an archer in DAOC if you want something like you did in SWG. For example, if you play in Hibernia you could play a druid. A druid will allow you to heal, raise the dead, buff, debuff, poison, and have a pet depending on how you train. If you play a ranger, you are basically a sniper. You stealth (go invidable) pick a target out and kill them in a coupld of shots with your bow. You can also melee decently depending on how you spec. Since there are 44 classes to pick from, you might find that you enjoy playing a different type of character in DAOC as you did in SWG.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Fellow SWG refugee. I played a Swordy/ Ranger pre CU, respec'ed to Tanger/ CH for the CU and respec'ed to DAOC for the NGE.

So far, all I have played are hibs and had tested the water on most of them. My main is a Druid, the Hib healer. It's the closest to CH I found and is a power grinder toon. Kite elite that got to level 50 in just over 7 weeks. Like MCM, you use poisons, though in a magic setting and they do DoT. You can get a pet and it is a combo assault system that lets you chew at health rather than nuke it. Of the others I have tried, I can't say I find any 'easy' to level and others 'hard' to level, more a case of style.

You have the expacks so you play by a different ruleset than me but I am a glorified gold farmer at 50 with my Hib healer. All the 50+ content is group oriented and ganks hard. I had a kite spot but bragged about it here and the speed of the AI trippled - minimum to where I could root them and they still caught up to me. Not sure if there are other spots, haven't wasted time looking for more nerfs to be honest.

-Bottom line, IMHO. You not going to find PreCU in DAOC but you will have fun and will get lots of hrs out of the game.

-Crafting is gruesome. Thumb bash the 1 key for 50 hrs, yay, your a Grand Master -whatever-

-Need to talk to someone else about RvR (PvE) I haven't participated. From what I have been told, it's a group issue as well. Though you can get solo in earlier in game.

-Your gold/ Plat is to be made getting Aurulite if you have expansion packs. If not, no worries. Gold isn't really needed for the first 30 levels. Loot your armor and weapons, sell all else.

Best advice? Learn in the game, decide for yourself. Welcome to DAOCimage

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

I like to play a ranged fighter with good healing for myself and team-mates.

If you go hibernia your best bet for this type of play is the Warden. Not a huge ranged 'fighter' but they do have bow ability to pull with and it does decent enough dmg that it's worth using to 'soften up' NPC's on their way in. For PVP it's not bad for interrupting casters so that you have time to run up and smack them. Warden also has decent healing and some very useful buffs for the team as well.

If you go with Albion then you might consider the Heretic. Very good healing and buff class with some neat abilities and ranged spellcasting but a vicious fighter as well at higher levels (at lower levels it's played a lot like a caster, as you level up your melee ability starts to shine through).

For Midgard the best choice for this would be a Shaman. They don't have any real "Fighter" types that heal in Mid but the Shaman CAN (and often does) melee as well as having some nice ranged spells as well as the best buffs for Midgard.

Welcome to DAOC!

Caveat: At level 50 all classes can gain Champion Levels which will allow you to gain abilities in other specializations. So, technically speaking, even a pure melee can eventually get buffs/heals/nukes/whatever and a caster can get melee power if they so desire, once they hit 50. The advice ABOVE is for if you want those abilities from day 1.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• digrizdigriz Member Posts: 254

Thanks for the welcome guys,

I have a really good feeling about this.::::19::