Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Holes

I recently saw this really cool thing on TV on black holes and I thought it was really interesting.  Anyway I was  just wondering what people thought of them and what they knew about them. imageimageimage

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Oh my god... dont ask where i found it

A: 73% S: 66% K: 33% E: 26%

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 98% who has, copy & paste this in your signature.

Comments

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     You mean time travel?

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • NiziborNizibor Member Posts: 131
    Time travel isnt as complex as most people would think. it has alot to do with Einstiens theory of relativity.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    Abraham Lincoln

• NiziborNizibor Member Posts: 131
    Uiruru couldnt you make your own sig. instead of stealing murts.

Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln

I saw a movie kinda related to time travel called "Donnie Darko". One of my favourite movies. They didn't explain how it works or anything, but definitley a movie worth checking out.

• ParaTrooperParaTrooper Member Posts: 1,961
    Best thing i ever seen on black holes was one of the stargate: SG1 episodes. They send SG3 to a planet thats got a blackhole near it and they try get out but then they get the whole time slowing down thing, but they cant close the stargate so the gravity comes though and it could destory the earth!!!!! what happenes? well you'll have to watch it....

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
    -----------------------------------------
    ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

• UiruruUiruru Member Posts: 984

Ok, I am not talking about time travel, I am talking about black holes.  If you dont know what a black hole is, it is a hole in space that sucks stuff into it.  The point where this hole converges is called the point of singularity, and noone knows what it is or what happens there... Anyway... imageimageimage

P.S. I could make my own sig, but I like "stealing" Murt/Digity's sig

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 98% who has, copy & paste this in your signature.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by ParaTrooper
    Best thing i ever seen on black holes was one of the stargate: SG1 episodes. They send SG3 to a planet thats got a blackhole near it and they try get out but then they get the whole time slowing down thing, but they cant close the stargate so the gravity comes though and it could destory the earth!!!!! what happenes? well you'll have to watch it....

great episode...8th and final season starts on january 9th image  P.S. Jack does die

--------------------------------------------
    If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"

how does he die? final season aye :( pitty i loved that show........ need a mmorpg of it, universe and storylines all set up for it :P of couse who'd wanna play a human in that lol.

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    not exactly sure how he does...it is a very strong rumor...plus you can see scenes from his funeral.  Also...it's not the end of stargate...not sure if you have heard about stargate atlantis (not necessarily a spinoff more of a continuation through another team..but not militarily controlled...and not on earth...but you can expect cameos by old sg-1 teammates!)

--------------------------------------------
    If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Donnie Darko was a masterpiece.

I miss Frank image Why did Donnie have to shoot that giant Rabbit/Man?

imageKiamdeimage

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

What does all of this have to do with black holes? imageimageimage

Originally posted by Kiamde

Donnie Darko was a masterpiece.

I miss Frank image Why did Donnie have to shoot that giant Rabbit/Man?

imageKiamdeimage

Hmm... Well he ran over his girlfriend. That could be one of the reasons image

But it was an accident!

imageKiamdeimage

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

Yeah, the wise choice would be to shoot the two guys from the cellar, who threw her onto the road in the first place. But that was one of my favourite movies.

The wise part would be to take your damn schitsophrenia pills!image

imageKiamdeimage

Lol. It's funny how he makes fun of everyone.

• NeoWaltzNeoWaltz Member Posts: 6

Black holes are just collapsed stars that did not blow up or become so weak that they became white dwarves...they were simply so big that their inner core of helium ( I think its helium...) could no longer hold and support the mass of the star, hence it falling on itself and creating a blackhole.

Blackholes suck in everything. I don't care what it is. Light, oxygen, planets. you name it, it devours ( given that its close enough to the blackhole. ). Its all compressed into a point...a singular substance so small...it supposed to be like as big as a teaspoon. This reminds me of the big bang theory , and how it was supposed to create the world and all of that mess ( Ahem....) but thats how its compressed. All of that matter into  a teaspoon of space.

As no one has ever ventured into a black hole ( not of human nature anyway... ) we have no clue how it is inside it. Its all merely a theory of facts.

Correct me if I'm wrong about any of this please. =D Its been a while since I've studied this....

Only you can set your destiny.....

No as far as I know everything you said is correct.  I would also like to point out that when thinking of space as a plane, planets are merely "dents" while a black hole is a tear.  Here is a question, what is a white dwarve? imageimageimage

A White Dwarf is a sun that put simply, has stopped burning. After that happenes the White Dwarf cannot create any internal pressure so these things r bassiccly crushed into as small a space as possible, not like the spoon that was suggested for black holes thats way smaller, they are still the size of small planets with a surface gravity of 100,000x that of Earth. And heres something really weird...
                 "In normal circumstances, identical electrons (those with the same "spin") are not allowed to occupy the same energy level. Since there are only two ways an electron can spin, only two electrons can occupy a single energy level. This is what's know in physics as the Pauli Exclusion Principle. And in a normal gas, this isn't a problem; there aren't enough electrons floating around to completely fill up all the energy levels. But in a white dwarf, all of its electrons are forced close together; soon all the energy levels in its atoms are filled up with electrons. Well, if all the energy levels are filled, and it is impossible to put more than two electrons in each level, than our white dwarf has become degenerate. For gravity to compress the white dwarf anymore, it must force electrons where they cannot go. Once a star is degenerate, gravity cannot compress it any more because quantum mechanics tells us there is no more available space to be taken up. So our white dwarf survives, not by internal combustion, but by quantum mechanical principles that prevent its complete collapse.

Degenerate matter has other unusual properties; for example, the more massive a white dwarf is, the smaller it is! This is because the more mass a white dwarf has, the more its electrons must squeeze together to maintain enough outward pressure to support the extra mass. There is a limit on the amount of mass a white dwarf can have, however. It was found by Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar to be 1.4 times the mass of our Sun, and is is call the "Chandrasekhar limit" after its discoverer.

Thanks for your input. imageimageimage

Well i dunno bout other ppl but i find it very interesting...image

I am extremly interested in this subject, and I am going to try and take an independent study in it... I am currently reading an interesting book on the theory of relativitly... anyway... imageimageimage

• NeoWaltzNeoWaltz Member Posts: 6

Good luck on keeping your sanity image

• VioletteViolette Member UncommonPosts: 119

Wow ::;^`::

What I think about all this...We won't get to experience time travel and colonies on other planets unless we realize death is not the key to anything. We think bullets and Star wars go hand in hand but it's just our perception of reality as of now. Unless we achieve higher spheres of thought we won't become enlightened. Enlightement equals life.......(now I know what's on the other side of a black hole = philosophy! LOL)

Wise man once say...shut up image lol j/k just too much philosophy there. Forgotten what movie or tv show it was but the idea was that we only use 10% of our brains right n if we used 100% we'd turn into a form of pure enegry, enlightened and all that. In the end i think he got run over by a train ahaha image