Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game lvl based?

SarenniaSarennia Member Posts: 127

Can someone tell me? I need to know before i download it.

Comments

• Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

Yeah it is. Game Cap is 80, soft cap is 40. When new servers open you have option to start off at 60 to PvP.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Originally posted by Size-Twelve
    Yeah it is. Game Cap is 80, soft cap is 40. When new servers open you have option to start off at 60 to PvP.

There is no soft cap. I think the poster above is confusing a current beta limit on one of the servers with a game cap.

The game is level based but they are currently trying to balance things so that level does not play as important a role in combat as skill and other factors will.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

There is no soft cap.

?

• twhinttwhint Member UncommonPosts: 559
    There was a soft cap in place until last build, actually, when they opened up the lvl 20+ areas again. They had capped people to a max of lvl 20 in build .93
  • TorchwoodTorchwood Member Posts: 76

Yes it is level based.  As of the current build I belive you can go to lvl 40 now.  Not carbon copy levels.  You choose were to spend your stat points, and they effect you.  Also choose what skills to take, and how far to advance them. 

Depending on what you want to do with your charactor you can take different skills and adjust your stats differently.  I have two Terminators both around lvl 30.  Radicaly different stats and skill sets, both do equally well.  On the whole, you can try to min/max, but, it will not give that much advantage.  It is not really possible to gimp yourself.  The skills all have uses, and places in the scheme of things. 

ruat caelum

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I think using the term "soft cap" is confusing. A soft cap is usually one where progress slows down exponentially. You can keep progressing, but not much. I've never seen it used to mean a temporary cap, which is what's in place now. It was at 20, now it's at 40, except for the players with access to the lv.65-80 server.

Oh, and Torchwood, you are very wrong about not being able to gimp yourself. It's tough at lower levels, but gets very easy later on. A well spec'd character can utterly destroy a poorly spec'd character of the same level, and being gimped can even make levelling much more slow and difficult. It's tough to predict how skill points work out, as far as scaling in level and cost. Many that work well at lower level become pretty useless later on, and that sort of thing.

I hope they add respecs soon, so it won't really be a problem. I also hope they balance skills and costs, but that'll probably take years :)

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.