Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is This Game For Me??

BeanchillaBeanchilla Member Posts: 260

I'm an avid mmo player, i usually play slightly casually, while i do get a good amount in.
With school, gf, hobbies, food :P, sleep and the outdoors im pretty busy.
However during the week with everyone else being just as busy i find myself with plenty of free time
in which i Play MMO games. While i want an mmofpsrpg (no ps crap) i am into flat out fun mmos.

Now ive dabbled in many mmos. (L2, FFXI, SWG,WoW, AO, DAoC, DarkEden, SoR, and some others)
i find myself growing tired of generic mmos. I'd have to say my favorite is AO and WoW and darkeden.

Which i know is "Western MMOs"

I hear this game is closest to lineage two, which i didnt like,
which was why i was driven from this game at first,
but what i did not like about L2 does not seem to be in this game anymore,
i dont like The click to move gameplay, and i dont like THE QUESTS

i want some quests, not many, it really doesnt matter, its all bash and grab anyway,
only this way it limits freedom,

i like setting my own goals, and doing pvp
i love watchin battles unfold, and making snap decisions to decide the victor.

I dont mind grinding, i love LOVE DARKEDEN (a korean Diablo like game with vampires vs. slayers)
however was not impressed with graphics and grew tired of speedhackers

I LOVE SCIFI, guns and mechs and space and all that, and i like a little fantasy, much more on scifi tho.
Im a mild fan of anime (trigun, full metal alchemist, and cowboy beebop mostly)

i dont mind grinding so much as long as i get loot, and see people around me,
i hate being alone when fighting,
grinding is fine but it can get repetitive and i like tehre to b a city, or some people to chat with

I do want tradeskills, i like crafting my own weapons armor etc.
And i like owning guild houses, player housing

however these arent main points.

Basically i want this mmo but i want to know 5 key things
Hows the pvp,
what tradeskills are available,
hows the customizability,
is there guild housing/player housing/ any kind of ownership
and is there a good community (whiners here and there are okay but i dont care for spamfest)

Is this game for me??
i sure hope i dont sound arrogant :):)
im not a flamer,
and certainly not a WoW fanboi, i play it, its impressive,
but it leaves me wanting more,
AO is great but with its dated graphics, and lack of addictivenessss
i want something new, and somethng that is addictive.

Just another handsome boy graduate...

Comments

• BeanchillaBeanchilla Member Posts: 260

What do you Think??

Just another handsome boy graduate...

• AzanthAzanth Member Posts: 50

RFO is one of those games either you "get" or you don't. And people who don't get it, really don't like it. Nothing wrong with that, I can totally understand why some people aren't into that style of MMO. And, let's face it, the interface and controls are terrible. But those can also be fixed pretty easily.

RFO is way more DAoC than WoW. DAoC was pretty similar, let's face it. Grind grind grind. Lack of content. And hella hella fun PvP. Despite the grinding and the pathetic attempts at quests/dungeons (at least pre-DF) I levelled 2 chars to 50. So just because the forumla is simple and obvious doesn't mean it's not a fun game.

So if you are willing to invest some time and give it an honest chance, you might like it. Just understand what it is you're getting into.

MMO history:
    EQ1 - 65 DE Wizard
    DAoC - 50 Dwarf Thane, 50 Dwarf Healer
    EvE - Amarr, Caldari BShip Pilot
    CoH - 40 Ice/Ice Blaster, 40 Dark/Regen Scrapper
    WoW - 60 Undead Priest, 60 Tauren Warrior
    LoTRO - 30 Hobbit Burglar
    Currently Playing - Tabula Rasa

• DrashanDrashan Member Posts: 153

Hows the pvp; Very nice, with tottaly open Race Vs. Race combat and regular organised battles for the central mine.

what tradeskills are available;there is crafting, armour weapons and ammo. Anyone can craft these with the right tools and materials (having mined and refined the correct ore.)

hows the customizability, Poor, very few hair and face customisation options and with stock armour/equipment options until slightly further into the game.

is there guild housing/player housing/ any kind of ownership, Not that I know of

and is there a good community (whiners here and there are okay but i dont care for spamfest), on the server I play on (Fire) and as the race of the Bellato Union, the community is the best I have ever played with and morons tend to write the game off as crap because of the really tough grind so they won't stick around.

Is this game for me?? Considering you say you're looking for a game with good PvP and don't mind grinding then yep, I'd say you'd enjoy this game. You have to be aware though that it's hard to get into at first and reading of the official forums as well as the manual needs to be done before you can fully respect what a cool game this is. The game is a brutal grind but as you don't mind a grind this should be a problem (there are many other people grinding with you) once you hitl level 25 you can participate in organised wars for the mine which is huge fun with three-way huge battles between the races. The main problem with the game in its current state is that it is fairly bugged and has the worst chat and command system I've ever come across. However in time, this game could be something great.

Hope this helped, Drashan. Any further queries then just ask image

• ThunderballsThunderballs Member Posts: 365

If he look in the mirror of a morning and see a very large erect penis on your forehead or discover that the diameter of your anus has incresed significantly since your last sexual encounter, or you are pretty sure you are of below average intelligence - then yes - the game is definitely for you. ::::16::

Caveat Emptor

• binjuicebinjuice Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Thunderballs
    If he look in the mirror of a morning and see a very large erect penis on your forehead or discover that the diameter of your anus has incresed significantly since your last sexual encounter, or you are pretty sure you are of below average intelligence - then yes - the game is definitely for you. ::::16::

Other then I can See that post getting erased rather quickly, but Hell I'm not caring that Your one of the many guys that said "fhk It!" once they realised it wasn't a Western MMO, let alone going to have any gameplay changes during 'beta'(yes inverted comas) This is a Eastern MMO, with Eastern grind designed around PvP and grouping. Soloing is not an option during the KEY CHIP FIGHTS and most mobs need to be grouped after lvl 30. The matter of fact is, Stop being the arsewhole who bashes and trolls a game because it wasn't the game every friggin Western MMO is based off. Get the mutha fhk over it and leave the game alone.

Hell I feel like going over to WoW now and nit picking at the crap PvP, meaningless and void. But what will that achieve umm NOTHING. Fhk this is getting annoying.

(all profanity is Apologised about, but is needed to emphasize the point)

"Just because there are other colours to use in chat does not mean you have to use them..." - Please follow

• ThunderballsThunderballs Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by Drashan
    Hows the pvp; Very nice, with tottaly open Race Vs. Race combat and regular organised battles for the central mine.
    what tradeskills are available;there is crafting, armour weapons and ammo. Anyone can craft these with the right tools and materials (having mined and refined the correct ore.)
    hows the customizability, Poor, very few hair and face customisation options and with stock armour/equipment options until slightly further into the game.
    is there guild housing/player housing/ any kind of ownership, Not that I know of
    and is there a good community (whiners here and there are okay but i dont care for spamfest), on the server I play on (Fire) and as the race of the Bellato Union, the community is the best I have ever played with and morons tend to write the game off as crap because of the really tough grind so they won't stick around.
    Is this game for me?? Considering you say you're looking for a game with good PvP and don't mind grinding then yep, I'd say you'd enjoy this game. You have to be aware though that it's hard to get into at first and reading of the official forums as well as the manual needs to be done before you can fully respect what a cool game this is. The game is a brutal grind but as you don't mind a grind this should be a problem (there are many other people grinding with you) once you hitl level 25 you can participate in organised wars for the mine which is huge fun with three-way huge battles between the races. The main problem with the game in its current state is that it is fairly bugged and has the worst chat and command system I've ever come across. However in time, this game could be something great.
    Hope this helped, Drashan. Any further queries then just ask image

define grind - any reasonable mmog player wouldnt consider getting to level 20 or even 35 as a brutal grind. the brutal grind comes after you have hit those levels, invested in some skill levelling and choices etc only to find the game is a pure pot spam and you will need to leave your char afk mining or afk skill levelling every moment you are not actively playing the game to stand any chance in the game.

Id say it is easy to get into it - nice enough graphics, some skills to debate over ertc etc. The game relies on sucking you into a grind. If you find a game like this hard to get into either trust your instincts and go elsewhere or be very realistic about why you want to continue playing it.

On release decent ranged weapons (purple) are broken, there is no guide on the official forum 9they havent even reproduced the sparce manual that shipped with the game, several race leaders are potentially going to be banned for inappropriate behaviour and afk mining and skill levelling is rife and becoming the norm. GameMasters have been reported banning players for levelling their skills against mates in the opposing faction rather than against mobs or in genuine combat 9presumably as intended but not implemented by the game designers)

Basically the game is fundamentally flawed and does not bring ANYTHING new to the table that is realsitically workable in a MMOG environment. Anyone can conjure up new races, planets weapons and levelling concepts but if they are fundamentally flawed you get a game like RFO that is all spin and gloss no substance.

The whole game is being sold on pvp - three distinct races - unique levelling system.

PVP is balls - basically preordained fight each day and a pot spamming fest whilst listening to the ramblings of your "race leader" who will be the sadest geek in the game who shares his account, has no leadership skills or life skilsl to bring to the party but is a "race leader" becasue he is the highest level in his race.

Races are distinct in looks but pick up any of them and youll soon find they play the same esp when it comes to their ability to apam pots. No point in picking a class with higher basic defence potential if difference is so marginal becasue players simply stand toe to toe and spam pots, or you can spam pots whilst meleing mobs as a caster.

Unique levelling system is a joke - you have to gring skills instead of XP. it is a difference in name only nothing else, and you positively have to park your character and jam down a key to level your skills if you want to stay remotely competitive.

Caveat Emptor