Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RF ONLINE - READ THIS BEFORE BUYING -

kineinkinein Member Posts: 3

This is not a game for carebears, hardcore roleplayers that demand the game give them material to work with, or PvE whores in the tradition of WoW. This is a korean game that has millions of gamers in Asia, the only reason it is here is because it has done incredibly well in Asia and Codemasters wanted to make a buck off gamers in America.

* THIS IS NOT YOUR PVE PARADISE like WOW
* THIS IS A PVP KOREAN GAME
- That means the leveling is a grind, it isn't for your casual gamer or new mmorpg player unless your ready for a grind.
* Whining,Crying,Blubbering about the PvE marks you as a individual that has done ZERO research on the game. Please make sure you do so in the future.
* Yes this game is much prettier

* This game is focused on Race Wars, grinding up overtime making your character stronger and stronger thru 1-30(rough number) then beyond grouping up to level up.
* If you have a problem with anime design - mecha, elves, and what not. Go play EQ2, WoW, or another game. This is not for you. If you don't like the way koreans design the characters and weapons and the gameplay move on.
* The closest it comes to Lineage 2 is that it has good graphics, everything else that could be similar is actually a staple of korean mmorpgs. They have tons and tons of them and all have graphics as good or better and they've got over 50 million gamers for 1 mmorpg.
* They don't like easy leveling, if you have a problem with that - tough. Please move on.

* Buy this game if your mainly a pvper, prefer graphics over roleplaying, aren't looking for a QUEST game.
- I recommend World of Warcraft and Dungeons & Dragons online, IF you prefer something even more casual get Guildwars - Great for all beginners.

The reality is that with the advent of WoW and Guildwars , a new group of gamers has entered mmorpg gaming that are utter newbies to the genre itself and the variations western and eastern. This is unfortunate but overtime they will learn.

Comments

• SharShar Member Posts: 43

This is not a game for carebears, hardcore roleplayers that demand the game give them material to work with, or PvE whores in the tradition of WoW. This is a korean game that has millions of gamers in Asia, the only reason it is here is because it has done incredibly well in Asia and Codemasters wanted to make a buck off gamers in America.

Actually, it's not done very well and really isn't up to quality standards of western products.  From the sub standard environmental graphics, featureless character creation and clone army equipment to clunky animations and a horrible interface.  Korea has many MMOs better than this.  Simply put, Codemasters got it cheap and knows they can make a quick buck here with little invested.  They haven't even had to do as much work as most people running private L2 servers.  Anyone who has done that knows just how easy it is to adjust parameters.  The entire text of the game could be translated in a day or two at most.  Defend it all you like, pay them all your money if you like but there are many of us that demand a certain level of quality and service for our dollar.

* THIS IS NOT YOUR PVE PARADISE like WOW

This isn't even a PVE paradise like pac-man.  About as deep too.

* THIS IS A PVP KOREAN GAME

Sorry carebear, this isn't PvP it's RvR.  This is carebear level PvP, at least most other Korean MMOs you can kill anyone if you are willing to take the risk.  Makes a lot of you little asshats more polite when you keep getting ganked over and over for being a jackass.

* Whining,Crying,Blubbering about the PvE marks you as a individual that has done ZERO research on the game. Please make sure you do so in the future.

Actually it just means you love the artificial timesink tacked on to a RvR game.  If you are really wanting RvR and the game is supposed to be about RvR, why even bother with a tedious totally un challenging PvE system? IN NO WAY IS RF HARDCORE OR DIFFICULT. Sorry, it has a PvE system and most time will be spent there grinding for xp, money, PT's so it's a valid complaint.  It's not for hardcore, it's for the brainless.  Simply put it's either for kids or those who are easily amused.  If they had just left out PvE content completely it would have been better than this mindless trash.  Then you might have to use RvR skills to advance and that wouln'd be quite as mindless and entertaining for the kiddies.

* This game is focused on Race Wars, grinding up overtime making your character stronger and stronger thru 1-30(rough number) then beyond grouping up to level up.

See above.

* If you have a problem with anime design - mecha, elves, and what not. Go play EQ2, WoW, or another game. This is not for you. If you don't like the way koreans design the characters and weapons and the gameplay move on.

I love and enjoy Anime.  I do give them props that thier character art is good, modelling is decent.  Lack of customization and everyone near your level wearing identical equipment and weapons is fine for eastern players... here in the west we prize individuality, we like to stand out in a crowd.  We aren't a drones or clones.  But it seems some of you like to be.  Besides we all know it's that way to allow it to be run on old outdated hardware.  This is an old game, mostly played in internet cafes.  Sorry, it's not 1998 here, this just doesn't cut it anymore.

* The closest it comes to Lineage 2 is that it has good graphics, everything else that could be similar is actually a staple of korean mmorpgs. They have tons and tons of them and all have graphics as good or better and they've got over 50 million gamers for 1 mmorpg.

True, but who want's to play something just because everyone else is?  I really don't care if 20 billion people drive a red station wagon and think it's great, there's no way in hell I would based on peer pressure.   I find L2 to be quite a bit more advanced and feature rich than RF.  It has it's own issues but that's for a different forum. 

* They don't like easy leveling, if you have a problem with that - tough. Please move on.

Actually, this is easy levelling.  Very easy.  Tedious, long and boring - yes.  Difficult - no.  And really if you dedicate yourself it doesn't even take that long even while keeping your PT's up.  It's just a game of whack-a-mole.  Maybe it gets better post 34 but that was high enough to show me combat never gets more involved.  Hell old hack and slash games like Diablo and Diablo2 had  more combat options and they were really simple.  This is really a combat system for those that are unable to react to quickly changing situations.  If you suck at most other MMO's combat you will be stellar in RF, just remember to spam pots and you will be fine.  Teamwork... yeah in RvR, not much needed in PvE.  Just stand behind the tank and spam attacks.  Don't worry about juggling aggro or crowd control.  Mindless, just utterly mindless and that's why you kiddies love it - levelling with no effort!

* Buy this game if your mainly a pvper, prefer graphics over roleplaying, aren't looking for a QUEST game. - I recommend World of Warcraft and Dungeons & Dragons online, IF you prefer something even more casual get Guildwars - Great for all beginners.

Avoid it if you are a PvPer it's carebear land all over again.  If you like RvR it's good for you.  Graphics whores look the other way, other than the character art and pictures on the box this is a step back 6 years or more.  Environments are bland, tiny and lack creativity in design.  EQ1 and AC can still claim better environmental detail than RF.  Yep, it's that bad.  Clipping and draw in are terrible, like a return to pre-Unreal graphic engines.  You will set all graphic options to the max and still wonder if you are missing some settings.  If you aren't a graphic whore, well... there isn't much here for you either.  They don't even try and teach you the lore in game.  This is stripped of all features we consider worthy of a monthly fee.  It launched with Giga3 update, I would hate to see what this game started like if this is the culmination of 3 updates.  There's just nothing here.

The reality is that with the advent of WoW and Guildwars , a new group of gamers has entered mmorpg gaming that are utter newbies to the genre itself and the variations western and eastern. This is unfortunate but overtime they will learn.

<chuckles>I'm thinking you only know about GW and WoW eh? 

As a veteran player since before graphic MMORPGs, I think you just described yourself well.  Welcome to MMORPGs, we are sorry you are getting shafted by drek like this but I don't think you could handle oldschool RPGs anyway.  But don't worry, most developers are catering to the masses of moronic sheep these days so you will be happily spoon fed crap for years to come. 

• Bane101Bane101 Member UncommonPosts: 108

There is a lesson here. If you have a big name publisher behind a new MMOG, more interest can be created than a game might deserve.

It could be the start of a wave of 'so so' Asian games being brought to the west.

Raymondo

• VelcroyVelcroy Member Posts: 93

Well I'll just start out by saying I like the game, but I do agree that PvE isn't all that in-depth. It is a grind, a fairly uninteresting one (unless you are a tank). But strategy  does play an enormous part in PvP. With an adequate group of 8, you can make a huge difference on a Chip War. You can chose to flank an opponent, cut them off at their portal, etc. You need to debuff (bind) them, focus damage by calling out names, etc.

Simply put PvP is in-depth, PvE is not. If you love PvE content and that is what you are looking for, you will be looking a long time. It is not in this game and is not meant to be. I do think that pitbosses and dungeouns will add some draw to PvE (with minions making things more interesting). But in general, this is a RvRvR game to its core. And it does THAT very well.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Shar, just a question out of nowhere, but to what lvl did you play this game? because judging from your post, its actually pretty hard to believe you got to any reasonable lvl to enjoy any of the features. No, this is not a game you will have fun at right at the start. don't like it? there are plenty of other mmo's to chose from.

• mrbbmanmrbbman Member Posts: 282

One complaint about the game I had was the lack of character customization. On the other hand, after getting a level 60 Paladin and a level 50 Rogue in WoW and finding out that every person was wearing the same suit of armor you went into the same three instances 50 times to get; I kinda felt the same way then also. Not only did everyone pretty much look the same, but they spent countless hours grinding (that's what this is killing the same stuff over and over again) not to level, but just to get an outfit. So really after all is said and done you basically have the same problems with any other MMORPG. In the end everyone looks the same regardless of what game you play. Everyone grinds in every MMO ever made. Saying these games are a grind and that everyone looks the same is kind of a farce. Most people aren't going to notice that you picked the human with the freckles. Other than the freckles, you still have the same glowing suit of mail and the same flaming sword everyone else in your class lusts after. There's no difference really.

True Neutral Half-Elf Ranger Mage
    Follower Of Silvanus

Kings of Chaos! Free to play! Great PvP!

• ZenNatureZenNature Member CommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by Gameloading

Shar, just a question out of nowhere, but to what lvl did you play this game? because judging from your post, its actually pretty hard to believe you got to any reasonable lvl to enjoy any of the features. No, this is not a game you will have fun at right at the start. don't like it? there are plenty of other mmo's to chose from.

He already stated he got to level 34. Why judge his post if you're not even going to fully read it?

I think Shar pretty much nailed it. I might have stated it differently, but I was left with the same disappointed impressions, contrary to the defense of the OP. Only thing I might add is I loved the music. Very theatrical and epic. I kept the soundtrack after uninstalling it to play in the background of my other games image 

• JukanJukan Member UncommonPosts: 325

Yes I would also have to agree with Shar!

The music was great, and the graphics were pretty but I wouldn't say high quality! The character models were nice, but it still didn't live up to the hype. These graphics would have been great 3 years ago but today, they are a little bit of a let down. Mind you I enjoyed the graphics, but they aren't so fantastic as everyone says.

I have played Lineage 2 for about a year and a half (still do) and I was hoping that this may be the next game I would buy...but no! L2 has its problems, but I still think it is better than this game, yes even it's graphics are better! The models in L2 are a bit more lifelike (and that isn't saying tooo too much) and the landscape is very 'painted' looking, and not this glowing kind of paint...that games like RF and guildwars uses. The truth is, I find RF's graphics and GW graphics VERY similar!

If the gameplay was a bit more engageing than L2's gameplay I probally would have moved to RF. But it is practiacally the same, and doesn't even have open PvP! Plus the thing that bothered me most about the RvR is when you create a faction, if one of your friends wants to play a different race than you, you can't play togeather...well BARELY! So the reason why I didn't switch to this new hyped game from a highly bashed game by reviews was because it was to similar and the differences weren't better.

Most MMOs have grind though! That is how it seems. Actually that is how most games are, be it a quest or whatnot, you still have to kill things. The quests can be more engaging, and lessen the feel of the grind but you are still doing the exact same thing, be it for levels or story advancement. Some games there is a fast grind to endgame, so it seems less, and in some there is a slow grind which can make you almost want to give up and seems to take forever.

RF I would say isn't as hard of a grind as L2, but it isn't as easy as WoW...so it is a medium grind I would say! Some may like this if they thought L2 was too hard and WoW too easy. I also want to clear up the steriotype about Asian gamers (koreans, and japanese mainly). THEY DO NOT LIKE TO GRIND ANYMORE THAN WE DO! But the look at the game differently. When we play a game we want to be having the best equipment and the best everything. So we make the game even harder for ourselves. In asia there are the Hardcore gamers, but there is also a lot of causal gamers (more than hardcore). Why do they play games with gind, well mostly because it is about socializing and whatnot. You don't have to Pwn everybody...so the grind isn't a big deal and tedious task. So games such as L2 has high levels who are hardcore, and low levels who are causual, but the higher levels don't necessarlily think they are pwnzor and go kick the asses of low levels...there is more respect in the Asian online community.

People play games for their reasons. If you want mechs and don't mind grind...and want a safe enviroment to level in, then RF is probally what is good on today's market. This isn't for the hardcore PvPers, and this isn't for the hardcore roleplayers. There is a bit of both in the game, depending on what community you find, but overall the game isn't designed directly for this.

So I will leave by saying, it isn't a bad game...but it just isn't worth my $15/month! There are many other games out there that I enjoy more and ones that I am currently playing that I wouldn't quit to play this. Some will play, but it doesn't live up to it's hype. This was the same in Korea when this game tanked and pretty much fell of the korean market...

• SquittySquitty Member Posts: 342

Shar you are my hero. Maybe if enough people post replies like yours people will finally start realising that this is not a great game.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Actually Shar is just another hater that comes here to troll about the game. You don't like it, fine

G O  A W A Y

its impossible to even hold a normal conversation about this games without people who expect a western mmo to come tell us like shar why it "sucks". honnestly, if a person who is bashin a game is your hero, I strong recommend you get yourself checked. might also be a good idea to come to your senses, and finally start realising your oppinnion is not a fact. many people think this IS a good game, then who are you to tell them in their own section to tell them : "its not a very good game".

I think people can judge that for themself. the OP just gave a little warning before buying the game and even here people are bashing the game, really pathetic.

please, get the heck out and don't come back

• vanvenvanven Member Posts: 21

Great post Shar!!!

Once a company releases an MMORPG in a western market it becomes a western MMO regardless of it's country of origin.  It will be held to the same stardards as other western MMOs.  Others can defend this game all they want but when compared to what is available to western gamers, this game brings absolutely nothing to the  market.

I classify this game as a "Floater".

Vanven

• VelcroyVelcroy Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by vanven

Great post Shar!!!
    Once a company releases an MMORPG in a western market it becomes a western MMO regardless of it's country of origin.  It will be held to the same stardards as other western MMOs.  Others can defend this game all they want but when compared to what is available to western gamers, this game brings absolutely nothing to the  market.
    I classify this game as a "Floater".
    Vanven

Well I guess I am just lucky that this still feels like an Eastern MMO. Because I actually like Eastern MMO's a lot more than Western ones. And I live in Nebraska.
  • styjahstyjah Member Posts: 5

The thing I relly like about this game, that isn't really talked about is that even though it's classed based, you can still be unique.  Most people don't get overly in depth with the xp/pt/spt/sl leveling system.  But I've found it to be ery interesting!

With only a few play style differences you can alter your character from a tank to a damage dealer (I'm talking warrior in this instance).  And  you aren't really restricted from using any armour or weapons, so long as you gain the skill in that area.  I'm so tired of being forced into the same line of armour and weapons as every one else in my class.

Yeah, PVE is a grind, just like in every other MMO... but in this game, they don't hold your hand and tell you pretty stories to make it feel better.  But that's ok I can handle it =)  I've had a lot of fun PVEing, oddly enough, making friends, wandering the world, getting lost, stumbling across the enemy race, and getting dead.... and my favourite of all time.... wondering if that monster isreally easy enough for me to kill........ then dieing!

It's so nice to find a game that actually has MOBs in it that are dangerous!

THEN there's the RVRVR!  In the early days, it's kinda..... boring.  But as more high level characters pop out, I never know when I'll get ganked.  Chip Wars are exciting, and strategy is a necessity there.  I can't believe thre's a game where you don't just follow the same basic rules of MMOing... tanks in front, damage dealers behind.  In RFO's PVP, you can't stand as a wall, with out having mass fire focused on you and getting a quick trip home! 

The rules have changed.... for once I'm not playing the same carbon copy MMO!

• vanvenvanven Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by Velcroy

Well I guess I am just lucky that this still feels like an Eastern MMO. Because I actually like Eastern MMO's a lot more than Western ones. And I live in Nebraska.

I truely feel sorry for you, I lived in Lincoln for 3 years and I was never sure who got fed more, the cattle or the women.  Hated that town.

Vanven

• YusukeYoungYusukeYoung Member UncommonPosts: 57
    How interresting that some people have a need to come badmouth a game they dont even play, dont like or arent even interrested and worse think they actualy think that any opinion they actualy think has any value.  It is very pathetic.  The only reason is they need the attention from somewhere since they cant bash a game they like might has well come in games they dont play.
  • SquittySquitty Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by Gameloading
    honnestly, if a person who is bashin a game is your hero, I strong recommend you get yourself checked. might also be a good idea to come to your senses, and finally start realising your oppinnion is not a fact. many people think this IS a good game, then who are you to tell them in their own section to tell them : "its not a very good game".

Anyone else smell a hypocrite? If you believe everyone is truely entitled to their own opinion, then why can I not have my own? People come to these forums to read about the good and the bad of games so they can decide if it is worth playing. If no one posted their thoughts because they were not positive, there really would not be much need for a forum.

I think people can judge that for themself. the OP just gave a little warning before buying the game and even here people are bashing the game, really pathetic.
    please, get the heck out and don't come back

Maybe Shar is just giving a little warning before people waste their money on the game? And why do people always get mad at people who just post their honest thoughts on a game? Everyone should be happy that they care enough to inform others that a certain game may not be for them.

You gave such a wealth of information about what people should and should not do here on the forums, but rarely take your own advice. If you ever actually listen to yourself, please take your last final advice you give.

• binjuicebinjuice Member Posts: 363

God damn! The games different to WoW.... GET THE FHK OVER IT!

Coodoes for you for trying to play a different game. But seriously why try and warn people about something that has been out in the Eastern world longer then most of you have been playing online? Even the people bashing the graphics is laughable, they are from 2003-04 for fhkn sake. Yes you don't like the game cause it is different. But hell WoW was different when it released. Pity most of you came after its release, never experiencing what a non content, hand holding, game was like. Man I miss the old days when something different was actually WANTED!

"Just because there are other colours to use in chat does not mean you have to use them..." - Please follow

• VinadilVinadil Member Posts: 42

Well, here is a casual "Thanks" to those who tell the "other side".  Might be a shock to some of folks out there, but some of us want to know if the game is a HUGE TIME SINK before you even get to experience the "actual gameplay".

I was one of those that got suckered into trying L2... then I pushed on to level 40-something when I heard "The game does not really start til after 40!".  The mind-numbing, brain-killing gameplay and grind is just not something I care to spend my money on again.

Looks like RF has gone this path, then thrown a little "RvR"!!!! on at the end... bleh, back to the waiting board for the next attempt.

• iddmitriiddmitri Member UncommonPosts: 671
    WORLD OF WARCRAFT IS STILL THE BEST MMORPG. END OF STORY.
  • YusukeYoungYusukeYoung Member UncommonPosts: 57

Originally posted by dmitri84
    WORLD OF WARCRAFT IS STILL THE BEST MMORPG. END OF STORY.

LOL you should add for the kiddies that like easy games.
  • FinfidFinfid Member UncommonPosts: 14

Lol Gameloading, this isn't the RF officiall forums. If you got a problem with people critisizing this game, go whine on that board. I come to these forums because they are here to let us share our opinions on games, good or bad without having to worry about some wounded Admin deleting my post about how bad his game sucks cus he didn't like what I had to say. So in the interest of letting the rest of us judge for ourselves whether a game is good or bad, based on the opinions of our peers and sharing our experiences, you get the heck out. But feel free to come back when you have something relevent to say.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't particularly care to drop $50 bux on a game that costs $15 a month to continue playing without at least knowing a little something about it. I need 3 things first. A demo or beta is available, a well concieved and implemented website for the game that provides accurate and detailed info on the game, and player feedback in the form of a non-biased forum such as this.

• valinus1valinus1 Member Posts: 29

Your right about one thing this isnt the rf forum you have 50 other forums to go to ONE of them has to be a game you like so go talk there about how you love your new bow on your troll. If you don't like this game leave? Who came down and have you the title of "Hey you hated the game right so go interupt every conversation on that games forum by spamming the same crap over and over" We get it you and the hand full of 10 people hate the game. You hate it because it skips or because you cant make it to chip wars or because it isnt what you thought or because it doesn't live up to some standered you put together in your head. This game is what it is a scfi mix of grinding, tactical rvr, graphics (id say kick ass graphics but you would counter spam L2 or WOW or some bs game so will just say graphics) Good music. Its a base the game is fun and it has alot of potential if you cant wait for more stuff LEAVE. If you cant handle grinding LEAVE. If you don't like having to actually do some stuff yourself LEACE. Count all the games on the list at this site find one that you like and go there. As much time as you spend here you could of found your game but instead all youve done is annoy people and spurr on your troll army.