Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get A Life

ChoniclesChonicles Member Posts: 54

WOW I mean WOW. You people that are bashing the game are 1 of 2 things a moron or are children and have no commen since.

Yes it is a given fact that some people will not like the game. That is fine stat your mind and leave if you don't like it. I'm sick of reading all your BS. For the most part I think you people Bitching about the game have never played it and for those that have and say it is a grind feast you are full of shit. I work a full time job have 3 kids and a wife. I spend time with my family and at night I play for a few hours here and there. In beta I was able to hit 30 with maxed skill in about 10 to 15 hours of total game time. 30 out of a max of 50. If that is a grind fest to you then my guess is you never play anyway, because you most likly bot your way to high levels in most games.  L2 is a grind fest I played that for a year an a half and only hit 65 out of a max of 75 at that time and I played hardcore then. 

RFO has bugs ,but it is BETA.  BETA means there is going to be bugs and it is your job as a BETA tester to find the bug report it so it can be fixed. IT IS NOT A FREE TRIAL OF THE GAME. However i do think Codies pushed though the beta to fast and should have release a patch for a few days before putting it to retail, but hey name one mmo that was put out that everyone thought was ready.

With that said things will be added to the game that was not in beta and if you don't like the game don't play it. It is as simple as that. Please do not come to our side of the fence and try to ruin our fun that we have found in the game.

Comments

• RlenaRlena Member Posts: 32
    I had really been looking forward to this game till I heard all the complaining here. It really turned me off from the game. But if you notice when you go to the main forums on the RF site, there is no complaining. The game actually released today. image I am thinking about getting this game now.

~*~*~Rlena~*~*~
    I Don't Need To "Get A Life." I'm A Gamer, I have LOTS of Lives!

• vanvenvanven Member Posts: 21

I am assuming that your post was a complete overreaction, so i am going to treat it as such.

There have been a large percentage of negative posts about RFO on this board.  Almost all of them have been honest and straightforward attempts to explain the game and compare it's shortcomings to other games on the market.  The market makes the best comparison tool, as it is easy to judge very successful games from those that have not faired well.  In comparing RFO to the current market, it has compared very poorly. 

This is where it gets confusing for me.  Your post somehow construes that this comparison is somehow a personal attack on your and your beliefs.  In fairness this board is a bunch of 0s and 1s and our thoughts here are jaded by the anonymity that the internet provides.  I cant figure out how someone like myself who has taken the time to post a strong, honest, sensible, and reasonable review of the game somehow crossed over into your personal space.

This is a site dedicated to gaming and the discussion, previewing, and reviewing of such.  Get used to it.

Vanven

• indiindi Member UncommonPosts: 149

If you ask me RF Online is and will be a solid and stable game, not just because it's been beta tested before (chinese and PH beta incl. sneak peak). Even though there are a few things which need to be reworked (potion abuse, lack of options (binded key setup, very low character view distance), etc...), RF Online is a game which will have its fanbase, since it's fun and causes addiction :)

However, due to the lack of content (small world, small selection of armor, weapons, items in general, lack of trade skills, no alternation, lack of quests, no ingame-depth, etc...), it probably won't manage to keep its fanbase busy for longer than about three months.

But still, there are much worse games out there, I really don't get why it is bashed that much.

• ChoniclesChonicles Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by vanven

I am assuming that your post was a complete overreaction, so i am going to treat it as such.
    There have been a large percentage of negative posts about RFO on this board.  Almost all of them have been honest and straightforward attempts to explain the game and compare it's shortcomings to other games on the market.  The market makes the best comparison tool, as it is easy to judge very successful games from those that have not faired well.  In comparing RFO to the current market, it has compared very poorly. 
    This is where it gets confusing for me.  Your post somehow construes that this comparison is somehow a personal attack on your and your beliefs.  In fairness this board is a bunch of 0s and 1s and our thoughts here are jaded by the anonymity that the internet provides.  I cant figure out how someone like myself who has taken the time to post a strong, honest, sensible, and reasonable review of the game somehow crossed over into your personal space.
    This is a site dedicated to gaming and the discussion, previewing, and reviewing of such.  Get used to it.
    Vanven

I'm sry if my post offends you, but my post is about those that post there thoughts then bash people that my think diffenrtly. All i'm trying to get acrossed is that if you don't like it fine, but don't downgrade the people that do like it. This forum is a games forum, but this part of the forum is made for RFO. If you do not like that game move on to somthing you like and leave us people that do like it alone. The ones that really bother me are the ones that have never played the game or played it for 10min that think they know what it is all about. I have played and it is nothing like the post that have been made. It is not a grind fest, it's pvp is one of the best out there, Servers are far better then any I have ever played on, and crafting is not that bad and can be fun if you are in the right guild. Also it is nothing like L2. You stated that you compair it to other mmo's out.  You can not do that because RFO just came out of Beta WOW, L2, Eve and many others have been out for some time now and have had the time to work out bugs and add content ect. ect. ect.

Say what you want ,but I and many others i'm sure are sick of see people that have not gave the game a fair shot act like they know it all and try to push people away that have an intrest in it.

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

Ok I'll explain my point of veiw on RF-online - Lineage II type of games. I've tried many MMorgs and I'm not gonna make a list but I've quit lots of them because I got bored realy quickly cuz the fun factor would just run out after finding out im just doing the same thing evaryone else is doing like my last game i was in - World of War Craft after like lvl 45 i think it was i just couldnt handle thinking I'm only lvling just so i can max out and do instances over and over and over how rediculous that is! and the PvP is so pointless to me
    because it only shows how many times you killed someone not how many times you died and when you died
    you wouldnt lose any exp or anything.

After playing Lineage II I realized wow i get to make my own rulez find my own ways of making money
    like seting up farmers to get killed so i can get their gear! It was like yeah i get angry at whats happening like farmers greifing but i can fight back and do something about it I'ts my world not some kind of Jail system where i have to do evarything that evaryone else are doing. Like if some pupular player from a top clan is somewhere and hes talking crap i can try to take him out or set up a trap and get the adrenalin pumping =P.

I have not looked in to this game too deeply only because I know if i get it, alot of my rl time will be into games again and i think this will probably be the best mmo along side with Lineage II.

• yourmom12192yourmom12192 Member Posts: 221

This is a spectacular game

PERIOD!!!

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

People expected a western mmo when they knew they were purchasing a Korean MMO, no wonder they were dissapointed.

for the diffrence in Western and Korean MMO's:

for one, Western MMORPG's are about the game, Korean mmorpg's are about the community.

Lets have an example, the world most succesfull western MMORPG, World of Warcraft.

In world of warcraft, nobody knows each other with exception of your guild. you won't even remember the names of the person you grouped with 5 minutes ago. the whole game guides you where to go and what to do. there is ofcourse nothing wrong with this style of gaming, but notice that you will not find the same freedom as in a korean mmorpg.you MUST do dungeon A to keep up with your equipment. you MUST do that quest to level up. those are western MMORPG's. it is also much harder to make a name for yourself, because you hardly communicate

now Korean MMORPG's, what better example could we take then RF Online.
    in Korean mmorpg's, its much more what the community makes the game of it.
    in RFO, you won't be taken by the hand and told where to lvl, you are free to go as you please. taken ofcourse its suited for your lvl, you can hunt monsters in spot A or maybe you prefer spot B, no problem. this is much more difficult in western MMO's because your stuck to a quest. yes, there are also quests in RFO that tell you where to lvl BUT you are not forced to do them like in western because the reward is much smaller. besides, you only get one or two every lvl anyway.

Every Korean MMO has something to bring the community together, and RFO is no diffrent. the Chipwars are a great way to meet new people. sure the first time you won't reconize anyone, but that changes when you enter them more because you always play with the same people."Hey, isn't that Wasteomind who led us to victory last time? maybe we should listen to him again" is a great example and the Race Archon's broadcast helps a lot.

another example is Lineage 2, the Clan wars. once a clan becomes strong and takes over castles, the clan will be well known and conflicts arise.

this isn't the game that took care of that, its the community that had a conflict, the game just gave you the tools for it to happen.

in short:

Western MMORPG's : (example:WoW,EQ(1,2)): makes the experience for you
    Eastern Korean MMORPG's : (Example:RFO,Lineage 2,Ragnarok Online): Gives you and the community the tools to make your own experience.

• AshkaelAshkael Member Posts: 166

The fact that Korean games are about the community is no excuse to completely ignore the gameplay element. There are far better chat rooms I can go to where I can "kill" other players. What it boils down to is that anyone playing this game over any other is simply for the graphics.

Is RFO the devil incarnate? No. Is it worth $50 and subsequently $15 every month? Not by a long shot.

• ShijukiShijuki Member UncommonPosts: 318

Well the game was made poorly for a reason (same as L2 on release) so that they can fill up the holes with features, content and whatnot on big patches every 6 months that really should have been there in the first place.

• VelcroyVelcroy Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by Ashkael

The fact that Korean games are about the community is no excuse to completely ignore the gameplay element. There are far better chat rooms I can go to where I can "kill" other players. What it boils down to is that anyone playing this game over any other is simply for the graphics.
    Is RFO the devil incarnate? No. Is it worth $50 and subsequently $15 every month? Not by a long shot.

I have come upon this statement many times lately. And though I am not trying to discredit you or your opinion. I don't understand it. For anyone that gets past level 30 (doesn't take more than a couple of days), there are tons of variations in gameplay available. Cross-classing, Guild-battles (to be implemented), instances, pit-bosses, Chip Wars obviously, etc.

I just think that this game isn't spoonfed to Western Gamers, which is what they are used to and expecting. But I really think this game is a diamond in the rough.

BlueDagger, for instance, started out not liking the game at all, and ciriticizing it a lot on this forum. He got more involved and deeper into the game and now I seem him posting all kinds of fun things on the CM forum, and he seems to like it a lot more. And he admittedly changed his mind about the game after getting deeper into it (very cool that he was open to it imo).

Anyway, I just disagree with the previous post, as someone who got to level 34 ni the beta and loved every second after 30. Of course there is the argument that you shouldn't have to go through 30 levels to have fun. And I have fun in my first 30 levels, just much more fun after that :-)

Now, RFO may very well be like a fine cheese where you have to cut through the awful stinky bit to get down to the good stuff, but why should it be? The concept of having the "fun stuff" come later down the road has been around since DAoC with RvR being all but pointless until level 50. The difference is that DAoC's 1-49 game wasn't all that bad. Why implement a game that is so horrible and boring from the get go, only to have the good stuff come later?

I'm not going to pay $50 to go through several days of boredom when I start a character. The later game can't be THAT great that it's going to be worth the time and effort to get through teh first 20 levels. Quests don't automatically become more than kill tasks, and combat doesn't just jump from being mindless to being strategic. The beginning of any MMO is nothing but core gameplay mechanics. No amount of fluff or PvP or random boss battles will make flawed and boring gameplay mechanics go away.

• ChoniclesChonicles Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by Velcroy

I have come upon this statement many times lately. And though I am not trying to discredit you or your opinion. I don't understand it. For anyone that gets past level 30 (doesn't take more than a couple of days), there are tons of variations in gameplay available. Cross-classing, Guild-battles (to be implemented), instances, pit-bosses, Chip Wars obviously, etc.

I just think that this game isn't spoonfed to Western Gamers, which is what they are used to and expecting. But I really think this game is a diamond in the rough.

BlueDagger, for instance, started out not liking the game at all, and ciriticizing it a lot on this forum. He got more involved and deeper into the game and now I seem him posting all kinds of fun things on the CM forum, and he seems to like it a lot more. And he admittedly changed his mind about the game after getting deeper into it (very cool that he was open to it imo).

Anyway, I just disagree with the previous post, as someone who got to level 34 ni the beta and loved every second after 30. Of course there is the argument that you shouldn't have to go through 30 levels to have fun. And I have fun in my first 30 levels, just much more fun after that :-)

Very Very well put. Most people that bash the game ether have not played or have not played long enough to get the fill of the game. Granted there will be those few that will not like it and that is ok, but the rest of us do

Now, RFO may very well be like a fine cheese where you have to cut through the awful stinky bit to get down to the good stuff, but why should it be? The concept of having the "fun stuff" come later down the road has been around since DAoC with RvR being all but pointless until level 50. The difference is that DAoC's 1-49 game wasn't all that bad. Why implement a game that is so horrible and boring from the get go, only to have the good stuff come later?
    I'm not going to pay $50 to go through several days of boredom when I start a character. The later game can't be THAT great that it's going to be worth the time and effort to get through teh first 20 levels. Quests don't automatically become more than kill tasks, and combat doesn't just jump from being mindless to being strategic. The beginning of any MMO is nothing but core gameplay mechanics. No amount of fluff or PvP or random boss battles will make flawed and boring gameplay mechanics go away.

Well obviously you completely ignored the part of my post that said pre-30 didn't suck, just that it is more exciting afterwards.

And just for the record, yes, it gets DRAMATICALLY more fun after level 30, so much more opens up to you. At level 35 you can go to "Ether" an entirely different planet. Not to mention that Chip Wars are extremely fun when you are a strong and useful member.

I'm not trying to convince you to like the game, I'm just trying to convince other people that your posts are often innacurate (I don't mind the opinionated part, that is the point of forums).

• ArmorDillianArmorDillian Member UncommonPosts: 275

I like this game,  Im so sick and tierd of all quests (wow). Here I just whack anything that moves.

Now all Im waiting for is the UK server to come up, 10 more hours to go then I have some serious whacking to do.

Sorry for my englishimage

I appreciate your input, but my posts are far from innacurate concerning the pre 30 game. Lets face it, everyone is going to base their impressions on what happens first. And if what happens first is total garbage then they wont stick around to play what you consider to be the "real" game. Now, I don't know about you, but I don't play games to be bored. I play games to have fun. If I have to go through several days of complete crap to get to the point were there's a mere possibility of having fun, then that in and of itself isn't fun. Anyoen who pays $50 for this game deserves to be greeted with a fun game. To me, just getting $50 itself to spend on a mere game is enough of a "grind" and to be told that my $50 isn't enough for me to be allowed to have fun just contradicts the very idea of a game!

At this point I really don't give a flying crap what the 30+ game is like. I don't want spoon-fed content, but I want to content that I DO find to be fun and enjoyable. This is not the case. I don't care about a grind as long as I'm having fun in the process. Again, this is not the case. I don't care if my gratification is instant or delayed, just let me feel some happiness within a day of starting a character, not a week or two.

• kineinkinein Member Posts: 3

I think in the end the people whom are bashing haven't given RF Online a fair shake by a longshot. But then again I agree. I see a lot of gamers that have been spoonfed by Western mmorpgs. With that in mind you hear the "there is no gameplay" because they're trying to throw down the template of WoW or Guildwars ontop of RF Online and other korean mmorpgs.

This game has millions in korea,japan, phillipines, china and elsewhere - hooked.

This is a love it or hate it game. Mainly based on what category of mmorpg player you are. If you are a Guildwars player you don't count -____________-

• JyhadJyhad Member Posts: 95

Originally posted by kinein
    This is a love it or hate it game. Mainly based on what category of mmorpg player you are. If you are a Guildwars player you don't count -____________-

And why is that a Guild Wars player does not count?  I can't see many differences between Guild Wars and RF lvl 1-20.  I admit I did not get to after lvl 20 because I have other MMO's to play (EVE is demanding), but it is just like Guild Wars as far as I am concerned.  The only difference is that Guild Wars is a fun single player game and RF is not.  If the multiplayer is the fun part make that the focus at the start, not going out to kill x monster x times then repeat all over again 100 times.  For 50 bucks I would buy it, but not for 15 bucks a month!

Which FF Character Are You?

Currently Playing: WoW, Guild Wars, DDO
    Have Played: FFXI, EVE, CoH/CoV, Linage2, LotRO: Alpha - Open Beta
    Awaiting: WAR, WAR40K
    NON-MMO Playing: Jade Empire

I appreciate your input, but my posts are far from innacurate concerning the pre 30 game. Lets face it, everyone is going to base their impressions on what happens first. And if what happens first is total garbage then they wont stick around to play what you consider to be the "real" game. Now, I don't know about you, but I don't play games to be bored. I play games to have fun. If I have to go through several days of complete crap to get to the point were there's a mere possibility of having fun, then that in and of itself isn't fun. Anyoen who pays $50 for this game deserves to be greeted with a fun game. To me, just getting $50 itself to spend on a mere game is enough of a "grind" and to be told that my $50 isn't enough for me to be allowed to have fun just contradicts the very idea of a game!
    At this point I really don't give a flying crap what the 30+ game is like. I don't want spoon-fed content, but I want to content that I DO find to be fun and enjoyable. This is not the case. I don't care about a grind as long as I'm having fun in the process. Again, this is not the case. I don't care if my gratification is instant or delayed, just let me feel some happiness within a day of starting a character, not a week or two.

I understand your point, I just think we disagree on whether or not pre-30 is fun. I liked it. Again, I liked it a lot more after 30, but that doesn't mean I didn't like pre-30.

And maybe to me money isn't that much of an issue (not that I'm rich) but it's not like I nickel and dime a game's content and what I paid for it. Anyway, I'll have fun playing my game, you play yours. Each like their own things I suppose.

• mrbbmanmrbbman Member Posts: 282

Odd that people would mention "patches that should have been there in the first place". I remember WoW and SWG have disasterous releases. In fact, it seems that they like to patch the game with "new releases" that should have been there in the first place. Every game has it's bugs and release dates never go as smooth as people would like. However, if your game was released over a year ago and people cannot enter the main city without it being a lagfest, then you are having issues maintaining the game. These are all money sinks, but if you enjoy the money sink then it's good. This game is way better that either ROSE Online, Lineage 2 or COH; none of which I could play past a week. This game is probably going to be one of the better MMOs out there. Come a couple of minor patches this game will provide fun for many people here, albeit probably not as many as Korea and Japan.

True Neutral Half-Elf Ranger Mage
    Follower Of Silvanus

Kings of Chaos! Free to play! Great PvP!

• Alterbridge2Alterbridge2 Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by Chonicles

WOW I mean WOW. You people that are bashing the game are 1 of 2 things a moron or are children and have no commen since.
    Yes it is a given fact that some people will not like the game. That is fine stat your mind and leave if you don't like it. I'm sick of reading all your BS. For the most part I think you people Bitching about the game have never played it and for those that have and say it is a grind feast you are full of shit. I work a full time job have 3 kids and a wife. I spend time with my family and at night I play for a few hours here and there. In beta I was able to hit 30 with maxed skill in about 10 to 15 hours of total game time. 30 out of a max of 50. If that is a grind fest to you then my guess is you never play anyway, because you most likly bot your way to high levels in most games.  L2 is a grind fest I played that for a year an a half and only hit 65 out of a max of 75 at that time and I played hardcore then. 
    RFO has bugs ,but it is BETA.  BETA means there is going to be bugs and it is your job as a BETA tester to find the bug report it so it can be fixed. IT IS NOT A FREE TRIAL OF THE GAME. However i do think Codies pushed though the beta to fast and should have release a patch for a few days before putting it to retail, but hey name one mmo that was put out that everyone thought was ready.
    With that said things will be added to the game that was not in beta and if you don't like the game don't play it. It is as simple as that. Please do not come to our side of the fence and try to ruin our fun that we have found in the game.

You cannot call everyone who dislikes this game with great distain a child.   Please get over yourself because you do like the game.   I personally think it was literally a waste of an hr of my life.   I LIKE lineage 2.  I just don't have the time comitment.   Lineage 2 far surpasses this buggy clusterfuq in every way shape or form.   I'm not a wow fan.   I'm not an anything fan.   I play what I like.  

This isn't 'Your' side of the fence either.   It's the RF forums.   People aren't going to go to the MU Online forums and bash the game there.    Idiot.

People.  Learn from the example I have quoted here.   Please think before hitting the 'POST MESSAGE' button. 

• flea1flea1 Member Posts: 250

im kinda offended that you call western gamers wow players. Some of us old school players played a game called ultima online. There has not been a game yet that gives more freedom than that game gave.

Lets see. Skill based not lvl based, A huge open world to explore, Open pvp, Full loot system includeing mobs, Secret areas to find, guild fights, bounty hunting, houseing, Fully decerateable houses castles players,
    There were no quests or any other garbage it was a game build by its comunity. Most of us grew hard and cold playing that game. The weak cried on boards and eventually went to what is now a staple cookie cutter weak sauce market you call western gameing.

Orky Name Generator, only at www.bigchoppaz.com

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

I'm a type of player that prefers player made content... Here's an interesting opinion that might actually make a few people think before posting more.

SWG was a fine exemple of player made content.. because DEV content sucked so much, we had to make our own stuff but in the end we had cities, empires, bases and alot of fun (until combat upgrades) Our 250 member guild never managed to survive in a game like World of warcraft... Why, because for a casual game, it required us to be even more hardcore then we were back in SWG.. does that make sense to you ? Doing the same instances everynight was boring... PVP was and is still pointless. Everything you did was basically for you only... PVP... not to help your faction, it's to help yourself to have better gear... instances, you think your doing it for your guild but deep down, you hope to get that epic or blue drop. Everything you do in WOW is focused on you and you only... Yes it needs teamwork but everyone knows that in the end, it's for you only. I'm sure you don't want to do molten core a 4 hour instance 20 times a month only to get nothing as loots right ?

Most of us played EvE-Online and it's not to be mean or anything but most whinner and RF basher wouldn't even have the brain power to complete the tutorial in EVE. I said most, so don't bother me if you think your not in the most part. But EVE had player content...

RF Online... First they are using the most efficient PVP system in current MMOs... RvR (not PVP) Anyone that played Dark Age, knows that RvR is extremely efficient and brings a whole new world of player content to the game. It also spawns a very important and solid community. When you PVP, your not pvping for you only, your pvping for your faction... thanx to you, crafters can get a chance to humm craft :P Thanx to your time, other players will be safe and advance.

Most people that are complaining are complaining about the same issues... I have to say this, read before you play a game. The game descriptions, professional reviews and official sites say exactly what the game offers, what's comming out later and what it doesn't and will not offer. Why are you complaining about what it doesn't offer ? If I sell you a car and TELL you that it doesn't have windows, are you going to buy it and then complain it doesn't have windows or your going to pass and wait for a product that suits your taste ? Same thing applies for anything in this world, you eat sushis, expect to eat raw fish.

People complain to complain without the knowledge to actually complain... Go back to WOW if your happier there, I didn't like WOW, my guild didn't like it but alot of people love it and think it's how games should be done. I think differently and RF online or any other similar titles is where I stand. I love PVP, I love RvR, I love Sci-Fi, I love big guns and mechs, I love having a big guild working on a common end game (or ADVANCE) goal that won't actually destroy the wedding or our members. RF online offers exactly what I like...