Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Beta delays

Well it was expected: http://www.blizzard.com/wow/

--December 22, 2003--
World of Warcraft Beta -- Update
Over the past few weeks, it has become apparent that the World of Warcraft beta will not be available within the fourth quarter of 2003. The development team is currently hard at work testing the alpha version of the game, and we look forward to bringing you an outstanding beta in early 2004.

Our goal is to always make the best games possible, and a critical part of the development process includes the public beta test. This means that we will not release the final product or any other component of the game until it's ready. Rather than release an inferior candidate to meet a specific date, we have chosen to further test World of Warcraft internally until we feel the game will allow for a productive beta test.

Announcements concerning the beta test, along with additional details about the game, will be released in the near future. We encourage you to check this official Web site for further updates. Thank you for your continued support and patience.

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
-----------------------------------------
ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

Comments

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     Now once it hits early 2004 we can excpect another update saying it will be held off till late 2004....

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • ParaTrooperParaTrooper Member Posts: 1,961
    I'm just expecting it to be mid next year, so if they do have it early next year i'll be happy if they delay it to the middle of the year then it will still be ok. Better for them to take their time though, I don't want to see this game be crap at launch.

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.

Yeah, the only fear i have of delaying it is anxious people like me will already be into another mmorpg by the time WoW actually releases.

Yer i know how that is. sort of the same thing applys to me except all the games i consider good will be around the same time anyway.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    Thanks for the news flash ParaTrooper.  We have added this to our news.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

just a quote from the WoW msg boards.
    Current FAQ.
    When will the beta start?
    The beta is
    expected
    to begin in early 2004, and it will be done in stages. That is all the information we have at this time; please watch the World of Warcraft site for any news regarding the beta.

Old FAQ.
    When will the beta start?
    The beta is
    expected to begin in Q4 (October, November, December), and it will be done in stages. That is all the information we have at this time; please watch the World of Warcraft site for any news regarding the beta.

Also some guy who apparently is in Alpha testing says the beta will start in March with February sign-up's.

http://vnboards.ign.com/WoW_General_Board/b19789/61533985/?7
    "Let me help you all with your beta sign up date questions. We are currently in testing phases of classes. One specific class! There are 4 classes to complete testing and they are set for 15-45 days per class (depending how the testing goes) So like I have stated b4, we are shooting for March as beta invite date. Signups will be geared around Febuary. This is not set un stone. But I promise you that this is the most accurate info you will find due to me being a tester "

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201
    This is SOP (standard operating procedure) for Blizzard.  Let's all hope it really means a better game in the long run.  3D games have a tricky way of looking worse as the months roll on.

• air_head1air_head1 Member Posts: 75
    as much as i want to play the game too they can't rush it too much cause if they do it will turn out to be a crappy game not that already half the world hasn't pre ordered it but still they can't rush it i would rather have them take there time and making sure the game is in tip top shape

• genstylegenstyle Member UncommonPosts: 19
    sigh. image

#zfz on gamesnet

#Cyberglobe on Gamesurge

• thegravyboatthegravyboat Member Posts: 89

Blizzard!  DELAYS!  OMG!! SAY IT ISNT TRUE!

come on, blizzard always has delays!  Yet, its always a better product because of it!

~Best thing since sliced bread

~Best thing since sliced bread

SWG-Ahazi- Kovoa DE/DOC
    AC-Morningtha- Fou-Lu lvl 79 UA/LIFE

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Lets just say it wasnt unexpected

• jloverjlover Member Posts: 260
    It really dose'nt matter to me, blizzard can take as much time they want to make this game. the more time it takes to make the game the better off it will be.image

wu-name=Ungrateful Dreamer

Love your enemys, it will drive them crazy.

9.523809523809523% nerd blood flows through your veins.
    NOOOOO get it out get it out!!!!

• mobettahmobettah Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by rathma
     Yeah, the only fear i have of delaying it is anxious people like me will already be into another mmorpg by the time WoW actually releases.

My thoughts exactly:  Everquest 2 is coming out with beta, and Ultima X: Odyssey has locked in January 15 as thier Beta give away Contest announcement date...I have already entered that one, and development is in very advanced stages, from what I have read.image

• KoltraneKoltrane Member UncommonPosts: 1,049

One thing you can be sure of is that Blizzard is going to have delays.  The good news is that those delays have always resulted in a better product being shipped.  Think about the original Diablo and StarCraft.  I remember StarCraft being behind more than a year, but Blizzard had (and apparently still has) the guts and the wherewithal to say, "This just isn't right...let's take the time and MAKE it right."

With all the people complaining about half-finished code being shipped as gold, especially in the MMOG world, I find this refreshing.  Blizzard is doing the right thing by taking the necessary time to get the game in good shape.  As much as I want to dive into the game, I'd much rather wait and play a game that works over an incomplete piece of junk that was shipped to make the accountants happy.

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate. (written on the SW:G CD)

A: 73% E: 73% S: 40% K: 13%

-----

Old timer.

• JiraiyaJiraiya Member Posts: 150

Alpha = Fixing graphics, adding in features, contents. Fixing crashes and stuffs.

Beta = Debugging of those features, gameplay balancing, testing the servers.

Blizzard has not fully implemented all the features for the game so its still in alpha. It won't jump to beta when its still in Alpha by lying to themselves they have a "complete" game. Thats why they're taking such a long time. They have 60 developers working on WoW ya know! Alot other games done 80% of their game and they rush to release, causing frustration to players. I certainly see blizzard wanna release WoW as perfect as possible. 

Btw, I read about the alpha and beta infos in a book. Can't remember the author but he/she is part of a team that failed when they launch their game. The tip was to implement all the features during Alpha, not Beta. Plan watever you want your game to have in Alpha. Beta is for balancing gamplay and debugging purposes and for testing server capabilities. This way you won't release a incomplete game with crap bugs etc.

I know this means waiting awhile longer b4 you guys get your hands on WoW but it also means you will have a better product when it comes out.

It's gonna be a shame when people find out that they dont get into beta and they waited so long.

• MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

Well who didn't see this coming? lol

Blizzard has "Delayed" the release of many games as have other co's. It can be used as an effective marketing ploy. Drum up the anticipation, release more insight to the game during this process and entice more sales.

- Malkavian image

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"