Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STOP federal policeware, bill s.2048!

This guys says it best, copied from MMORPG.com forum.

Q u o t e:
I don't know how many people are aware of this bill that our government officials are trying to pass, but please check it out at http://www.stoppoliceware.org . There is a petition there you can sign online.

"The CBDTPA is a bill (S. 2048) proposed in Congress by Senators Fritz Hollings (D-SC) and Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), along with Senators Daniel Inouye (D-HI), John Breaux (D-LA), Bill Nelson (D-FL), and Dianne Feinstein (D-CA). The acronym stands for "Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act". Note that the CBDTPA was originally known as the "SSSCA" while in draft form."

"The law would force all new personal computers and digital home entertainment devices sold in the United States to have government-approved "policeware" built-in.

This policeware would restrict your use of copyrighted material on these devices -- including music files and CD's, video clips, DVD's, e-books, and more."

Shawn

... I don't have the words atm to say how wrong this is. Please sign the petition and spread the word in other forums wherever you can.

just an insight - Think of piracy this way, it's freedom of information, freedom of 1s and 0s, anything that can be converted into a 1 and a 0 is potentially free. And Freedom of Information, isn't that our constitution?

Of course there is copyright laws and such to protect the producers of the wonderful products we have today. The bill says

Q u o t e:
(18) Piracy poses a substantial economic threat to America's content industries."

industries that are mostly located in the upper class of society/economy. Piracy gives freedom to the consumer, something Industries hate.

This bill allows for government to track all your electronic happenings/life. This gives the government way too much power. This is not the kind of power that a DEMOCRATIC government should have. [/rant]

Petition/sign, spread the word, fight the power... Gogo WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMAN!

Comments

• ShmeeShmee Member Posts: 321
    meh, i can imagine how fast programs to disable this 'policware' would be out, it doesnt pose much threat.

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

Think you'd be able to get around the law by removing the policeware from your personal computer? Think again -- anyone who defies the government by disabling or tampering with the policeware on their own computer, in the privacy of their own home or business, would also face five years in the slammer.

Since alternative operating systems like Linux and FreeBSD would most likely refuse to incorporate government policeware into their code, users of these open-source systems would also be eligible for hard time.

-Taken from http://stoppoliceware.org/

Black Star Deceiver kills it all.
    The sun lies waiting for a call.

-Machiavelli

• mobettahmobettah Member Posts: 77
    image  this is aweful.  Big brother listening to everything we are saying?  Is this and extension of the PATRIOT Act??  What will be next?  This needs more media attention...image

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458
    I wrote a letter to my representitive this morning.

Black Star Deceiver kills it all.
    The sun lies waiting for a call.

-Machiavelli

• bum37bum37 Member Posts: 127
    wow.. thx for letting me know, gonna spread the word in my town and get ppl to go against it.

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

It wont pass, Its too much like communism, there taking away your rights as a citizen of the united states, its like planting a GPS in everyone to monior where they walk, sure it will help us track criminals, but there will be no privacy, and I belive there is a few acts agaised that...

luckly im in canada, but I gave my friends in the states a ring/e-mail and there all gona write letters

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by Munki

It wont pass, Its too much like communism, there taking away your rights as a citizen of the united states, its like planting a GPS in everyone to monior where they walk, sure it will help us track criminals, but there will be no privacy, and I belive there is a few acts agaised that...

luckly im in canada, but I gave my friends in the states a ring/e-mail and there all gona write letters

yeah we might as well start flying the red flag of communist china over the us...I see it now...1984 coming true.  I just hope that they install cameras so I can bend over and give them a nice big fruit basket.

--------------------------------------------
    If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"