Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Universe and Multiple Realities

i just finished reading this book, its by M.R. Franks by the way, and since ive seen some topics on faith in the past i thought id mention it. it gives scientific reasons for "magick" and manisfestations. for any1 interested in physics its really good, and if your not it has a good glossary to explain words you dont know. its only 60 some pages, but if you see it at a book store pick it up, good short read. and he doesnt try to talk down to you (like the books by stephen hawking, he makes you feel like a dumbass) but he makes you look stuff up, and think... alot. its alot to comprehend, it might take a couple read throughs to understand it all, but i have a definite new view of the universe, and a new career idea.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
- Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

Comments

• ParaTrooperParaTrooper Member Posts: 1,961
    Yes but Stephen Hawking is a genius, he is allowed to talk down to us :)

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
    -----------------------------------------
    ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

• ShmeeShmee Member Posts: 321
    Theres cheaper ways of viewing the universe in a different way, its called LSD image

lol. Nah i dunno why but i like goin into debates about philosophical crap about life and the universe.... even though it's pointless.

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.

• ShmeeShmee Member Posts: 321
    i'm very philosophical usually, id do a course at uni but thered be no job oppurtunities at all.

'Shmee the freelance philosopher' lol. Nah ya see what ya do is u write a book, and what will happen is someone somewhere will buy it, read it and go write on a forum about it. Then the people who read it might just possibly go and buy it and it starts a continuous cycle...... maybe :s

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

well alternate realities and universes can be proven with math, but that aside, they cant actualy find them...

I cant rember what book it was I read >.< But they can be mathimatically proven... it was an amzing read...

Oh and, and Stephen Hawkings is a geniues, just brilliant, I meen, common,lol. If you can understand one if his books the first time you read it you also Brilliant, just not as brilliant as him =p

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by Munki

well alternate realities and universes can be proven with math, but that aside, they cant actualy find them...
    I cant rember what book it was I read >.< But they can be mathimatically proven... it was an amzing read...
    Oh and, and Stephen Hawkings is a geniues, just brilliant, I meen, common,lol. If you can understand one if his books the first time you read it you also Brilliant, just not as brilliant as him =p

if you want some basic "proof" read up on the string theory.  Interesting facts pertaining to alternate realities and time travel

--------------------------------------------
    If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"

No such thing as time travel, it's impossible.

Originally posted by ParaTrooper

No such thing as time travel, it's impossible.

lol never said there is time travel, but read up on string theory, they show how it is possible...even stephen hawking believes in time travel.  Great Scott!  I know this is heavy.

If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"

If you could travel back in time we'd already know about it, hell the first humanoid life form on this planet would know about it, that is of course unless either a) it's never acheivable or b)they are very very very very very very very very careful.

Now lets just go back in time to kill Hitler?(just an example) not only do u kill him n change so much of our history and who knows what, but now you have no reason to go back in time to kill him at all.... so u won't go back in time to kill someone you've never heard of. Also i'd have no reason to be typing this cause i wouldn't know who he is. Also every second we are moving into the future... yay time travel but not like years into the future in seconds because the future doesnt exist.... yet and when it does it will become the present. The only time travel we have at the moment we cannot do ourselves, go phone someone in another country yes it'll cost alot but it's for science :) whatever signals go through phones are time traveling, unless of course they are in the same time zone ahaha, but timezones r BS they should get rid of them, we should all be on my time..so then i dont have to change my clocks.

One thing your missing...Anyone clever enough to create time travel would be familiar with the grandfather paradox.  We could not change history because the world as we know it would (1) cease to exist or (2) be altered.  As far as your Hitler example..take for instance the episode of the Twilight Zone.  A woman is sent back in time to kill Hitler as a baby.  She ends up killing Hitler, however, the house maid responsible for Hitler's well being sees the act.  Knowing that her punishment would possibly be death (Hitler had the same views as his father) she buys a baby off of the street that looks exactly like Hitler.  So she traveled back in time to kill Hitler, but she killed a "good" baby instead, she bought an "evil" baby that took Hitler's place and grew up to be the man he was.  She had previously done this before because the bad Hitler existed.  It's a paradox in time.  Time travel happened, but it was not known in the present time.  A longshot example, but just enough a good one to show that people wouldn't know that time travel already happened, for all you know your future self could be back in time image.

Yep. Ever seen the simpsons episode where Homer makes a time machine with his toster?
    "No doughnuts! AHHHHHH!.................It's raining again...."
    twas a funny episode that 1, think it was a halloween special.

• UiruruUiruru Member Posts: 984

Here is what I have concluded about time travel:

A) It is not possible to travel in time because time is just a measurement of events, therefore it is not possible to travel through.  (What I mean is that time is not something that actually exists as a tangible thing because it is merely a measure of something)

B) If for whatever reason I am wrong (which I probably am) and time is a tangible thing, then:

a) If you believe in destiny and a preset course of events, then you would be able to travel both forwards and backwards in time without consequence, because you cannot change destiny

b) If you do not believe in destiny you can only travel backward in time (because the you are the most recent thing and you cannot travel into an incomplete thing) and your mere presence there would set in effect a butterfly effect that would have unknown conscenquence.

I have a few other theories that pertain to time and its flow, but I will save those for another day (or if someone asks me what they are)... Also a book you might want to read that has some stuff like this is The Pastwatch Redemption of Christopher Columbus.  (I really liked this book although it is really long)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Oh my god... dont ask where i found it

A: 73% S: 66% K: 33% E: 26%

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 98% who has, copy & paste this in your signature.

I have concluded this about time travel.......... it requires WAAAAAAAAAy to much thinking.

• UiruruUiruru Member Posts: 984
    Why would things like multiple realities and the 4th dimension confuse you? imageimageimage

Oh my god... dont ask where i found it

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 98% who has, copy & paste this in your signature.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

Just a couple quick thoughts... I've written several books on time travel myself. They are science fiction so far, but you never know when they may become historical fact. :D

One of the most important rules in all science is to keep an open mind. Everything is impossible until we figure out how it works. Think what a medieval person would say if you showed him a television. He'd say that it was impossible. Don't claim that something can never happen, because you will almost always be wrong given a long enough time.

Time is a property of matter. It is a dimension just as much as height, width, and breadth. We live in a four dimensional world... things can't just have height and width and breadth, they must also have duration. If something doesn't have height, it cannot exist in the universe as we know it. Likewise, if something has no duration, it also cannot exist. =)

fozz

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

i believe time travel may be possible. i believe that in every quantum event a new reality, or universe, is created. this universe is static until 1 shread of conciousness enters it, then only to the concious does the universe become dynamic. i believe that this universe is not moving at all, its still nothing. i am physically just a shread of conciousness in nothingness, who has created this world, created my mind, my brain, etc.in this case to me none of you have a concious either. i got some of that idea from the book, but i just built on it.

the thing of it is though, there in no way to prove it. i cant unplug myself and just become a conciousness in nothingness, im stuck in this world my concoiusness has made for me. theres no way out, because thats what concoiusness is made for. or perhaps we are thinking this through too much. maybe there is just 1 universe, and the decisions that are made are all that will ever happen, in any reality. everyone has a seperate conciousness, seperate thoughs, etc. againt theres no way to prove or disprove any of these theories. perhaps there is some energy thing that could prove something. i really should research quantum physics myself... i feel so dumb.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

Originally posted by SatansDisciple

i believe time travel may be possible. i believe that in every quantum event a new reality, or universe, is created. this universe is static until 1 shread of conciousness enters it, then only to the concious does the universe become dynamic. i believe that this universe is not moving at all, its still nothing. i am physically just a shread of conciousness in nothingness, who has created this world, created my mind, my brain, etc.in this case to me none of you have a concious either. i got some of that idea from the book, but i just built on it.
    the thing of it is though, there in no way to prove it. i cant unplug myself and just become a conciousness in nothingness, im stuck in this world my concoiusness has made for me. theres no way out, because thats what concoiusness is made for. or perhaps we are thinking this through too much. maybe there is just 1 universe, and the decisions that are made are all that will ever happen, in any reality. everyone has a seperate conciousness, seperate thoughs, etc. againt theres no way to prove or disprove any of these theories. perhaps there is some energy thing that could prove something. i really should research quantum physics myself... i feel so dumb.
    - Unknown Author

actually as far as the static and dynamic universe you suggested is a part of the string theory.  On the right track.  It's much more deeper and more difficult but you scratched the surface.  String theory suggest alternate universes and such events as the "big bang" hapopening are from these universes colliding and all their energies creating an explosion.  Very interesting subject to read on (if you're into that image)

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

and to add something to the theory, i believe if people actually do see ghosts, thats just... some kind of cosmic event, say when some conciousness enters a static universe that is nearly identical to ours, maybe off by an atom or two, and... something just gets the universes confused and shows the conciousness of the previously static universe into ours. thats why ghosts always look dazed and confused, heh.

and ill look into that string theory, thanks.

- Unknown Author

U want to do time travel? To go into the future, stand still. To go into the past u need to be able to go faster than the speed of light in the same direction as it's bounced off the earth, n catch up to it, that or get in a plane and cross the international dateline west at (GMT -12). Simple really.

actually according to string theory (and this would be a great success in the medical world as well) if you can stop the movement of strings in your body (strings are the smallest object in the body, smaller than atoms and molecules of course!) you would cease to "exist" in time.  How is this time travel and how would it help the medical field?  Well one, because you would essentially be out of "time" you would see the world flash forward before your eyes, this would in sense transport you to the future because your body is out of "time" and you are not aging and therefore would be in a future time (say 100 years) but your same age.  It would help medically because we would need not attempt to cryogennically freeze a person and damage their cells to try and prevent them dying from an illness until a cure is discovered, their strings could be stopped instead.  Now, as far as traveling back in time.  That's a little more difficult.  Yes you must be faster than the speed of light.  When something travels faster than the speed of light it begins to travel backwards in time, but you do not need to be going in a specific direction.  (in case all you trekkies are wondering about warp #'s meaning thats how much faster than the speed of light they are traveling, that is incorrect.  Warp 1 means they are .1 near the speed of light warp 9 is .9 warp 10 is .99, etc.  They never actually attain faster than light travel, except possibly in the voyage home when they shoot around the sun and travel back in time image)  That's it...oh and there already is slight proof of alternate realities of a sort.  Read about neutrinos.  They are a fundemental part of the universe but do not exist in our time or space.  There are billions of them passing through your body as you read this image

errr.......righteo then. Whats a string exactly? I don't recall ever hearing of them before yet i do recall hearing that atoms or rather protons neutrons and electrons as individuals are the smallest things in anything. And as for that sort of stasis idea well If u stopped moving completely i don't think you'd be able to see anything. Just of note though remember something on the news about how the speed of light is slowing down? (just throwing something else into this)  Maybe one day it'll be 100km/ph so can go faster in our cars :)

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

I think time travel could be possible. Whatever substance, energy or power to create this, just hasn't been discovered. But the furthest i'll go into time travel is watching back to the future.

If your interested in whats real and whats not, you should check out www.cryptozoology.com . It has nothing to do with time travel, but it's all about the unexplained creatures on earth, like bigfoot, and the lochness monster. And some of this is definitly true, some lakes (and not just loch ness lake) are offering 2 million dollars to people to find evidence of sea serpents and such... Just an interesting site image

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
    Did u see sometime earlier this year, some sci expidition got like 200+ new species from the pacific ocean i think it was (no idea where it was acctually lol) was the lowest sea level they ever been b4 to do whatever they did. Some of the stuff they brought back was just really weird, my favourite was the giant crabs with spikes all over them :) There were some really weird ones, should go look for them on the net.

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     I think they found this species thats a giant spider underwater. I mean, this thing is huge! But yeah i'll try to look for it. I'm finding alot of creatures at Cryptozoology. They officially found a new snake with rainbow coloured skin.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server