Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Explanation about the population percentage

I understand there is some confusion concerning Torres' letter and the statistical tid bits given.

Julio Torres wrote:
"Though not all elements of the new direction were welcomed by all players with open arms, we still see that the majority (~80%) of players still in the game were playing before the changes were unveiled and implemented."
http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=Announcements&message.id=3021#M3021

If I understand this correctly, it means that 80% of their current subscribers are not new customers, but used to play the game before the NGE changes. It doesn't mean that only a 20% left after the NGE.

Currently playing:
* City of Heroes: Deggial, Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster. Server: Defiant.
* City of Villains: Snakeroot, Plant/Thorns Dominator. Server: Defiant.

Comments

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

What it means is that the 50K subscribers we have left (based on the active server number revealed awhile back is 1/5th the actual population) consist of:

10,000 new players playing the trial/NGE new players

40,000 players who existed prior to publish 25.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

It only means that of the CURRENT subscribers, 80% of them are old customers. That just mean's they have a really bad growth rate considering launching and marketting the NGE just before christmas. Along with a very very misleading commercial advertising the game now and adding livestarwars.com.

So if they have 10 subscribers still, 8 of them were pre-nge. That is what his statement means. They are really starting to reveal far too much with their public statements.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• WakizashiWakizashi Member Posts: 893
    Where have all the fanbois gone? 
  • PepiDetoPepiDeto Member Posts: 85

but u have to think how many of those %80 are either fanboys who would choose to go down with a sinking ship rather than admit SWG is dead.  Also how many of those are pre-paid accounts? 
    Those are the questons to ask.

Pepi Deto
    Colonel Rebel Alliance
    Corbantis Server
    "Any company who tries to 'wait it out' will be just that, out!" - Tommy Boy

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

I dunno I would have to say that now, 3 months past the roll-live date of NGE that the vast majority of the 'vets' still playing are doing so because they are enjoying the game.  Calling someone a fanboi just because they like the changes is rude, uncalled for and beneath us, as mature players/adults.

The "pre-paid" arguement is wearing thin.  3 months has gone by.  Not very many people pay 6 months or a year in advance.  I'd say that the 80% that are still playing are probably either doing so because they just haven't bothered cancelling while they play other games or they're enjoying the game.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• duncan_922duncan_922 Member Posts: 1,670

Originally posted by Elnator

The "pre-paid" arguement is wearing thin.  3 months has gone by.  Not very many people pay 6 months or a year in advance.  I'd say that the 80% that are still playing are probably either doing so because they just haven't bothered cancelling while they play other games or they're enjoying the game.

I disagree with you on this Elnator.  If you stop by the official forums you can see that a lot of people are still there because of the 6 month and 1 year payment plans.

Myself was one that I paid 6 months in advanced.  But when you are sure that "this is the game for you" and that you'll be playing this for a long time, why not try to save a little money while at it?!  Needless to say that I learned my lesson and I won't be making that same ever again!

SOE knows what you like... You don't!
    And don't forget... I am forcing you to read this!

• azgarthazgarth Member UncommonPosts: 188

Originally posted by Fadeus

It only means that of the CURRENT subscribers, 80% of them are old customers. That just mean's they have a really bad growth rate considering launching and marketting the NGE just before christmas. Along with a very very misleading commercial advertising the game now and adding livestarwars.com.
    So if they have 10 subscribers still, 8 of them were pre-nge. That is what his statement means. They are really starting to reveal far too much with their public statements.

I agree,
    Don't take me wrong, I am old enough to love the Star Wars universe, but let's face it...compared to Middle Earth, aka Lord of The Rings theme, its only natural the response wasn't that big, since
    A) many MMORPG gamers prefer medieval themes
    B) Star Wars is old news. Gather that with:
    C) World of Warcraft scenary is a lot Middle Earth like, and you know what most people picked for Christmas. If you have any doubt, check the loaded server problems they had during the season.
    D) They should have just added contents instead of ruining what was still holding subscribers.

I miss my MCH image

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

I don't know if there's a huge preference for fantasy games over Sci-Fi... there's just a very small percentage of those type of games created. I know of maybe 5 in existance RIGHT NOW and they aren't all gold. One game that has come and gone and that will be missed.. Earth & Beyond.

Let's see...

SWG
    MxO
    City of Heroes/Villians
    Anarchy Online
    Eve

With four on the list to the left in development... plus Stargate just announced.

There just isn't many choices for sci-fi types. Especially when you look at how many BOUGHT games like SWG but didn't stay because it sucks now... MxO didn't wow people... AO is just so last-century.

If they did SWG RIGHT, we woldn't even be having this discussion.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• PepiDetoPepiDeto Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by duncan_922

Originally posted by Elnator

I disagree with you on this Elnator.  If you stop by the official forums you can see that a lot of people are still there because of the 6 month and 1 year payment plans.

Myself was one that I paid 6 months in advanced.  But when you are sure that "this is the game for you" and that you'll be playing this for a long time, why not try to save a little money while at it?!  Needless to say that I learned my lesson and I won't be making that same ever again!

Agreed for the last 2 years I paid for a year because for part of the reason was because there was a time for a few months when I wasn't playing because I was away at army training and I didn't want to lose my stuff.  That was pre-CU when the game was actually fun to play then last year in January I pre-paid for a year again because the game was fun to play then.  Now with this NGE my account ran out in January from my year paying and I am glad it did.  I do not like the NGE but if the game is fixed back to what it used to be I will come back no doubt.  I just don't like playing console games on a computer.  Computer games have aways had something that console games didn't for me.  They required skill to play rather than using game pads and that is what I liked.  The NGE destroyed that for me.

Pepi Deto
    Colonel Rebel Alliance
    Corbantis Server
    "Any company who tries to 'wait it out' will be just that, out!" - Tommy Boy

• viadiviadi Member Posts: 816

Originally posted by deggilator

I understand there is some confusion concerning Torres' letter and the statistical tid bits given.
    Julio Torres wrote:
    "Though not all elements of the new direction were welcomed by all players with open arms, we still see that the majority (~80%) of players still in the game were playing before the changes were unveiled and implemented."
    http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=Announcements&message.id=3021#M3021
    If I understand this correctly, it means that 80% of their current subscribers are not new customers, but used to play the game before the NGE changes. It doesn't mean that only a 20% left after the NGE.

so what he could be saying is the NGE failed

so in essence SOE sacrificed 70-80% of there customers to gain a 20% increase on the ones that are leftimage and your trying to tell us SOE you know what your doing.......  [best comic shop guy voice from the simpson voice i can muster] worse idea ever

Tin Foil hats dont work.. its all a conspiracy

• BamaDocBamaDoc Member Posts: 162

JT shot himself in the arse there. 80% of those players on SWG now were there before the NGE. That's what his statement says.

SWG has not grown at all, despite basically giving the game away.

Why put that out there? That is essentially an admission that the hull is breached and they're taking on water faster than they can pump it out.

Again I ask my primary question - who is to blame for the "new Star Warsy direction" of SWG? He/she should be sacked immediately if not sooner.

Hell, they'll probably blame Tiggs since she's gone already . . .

• decadredecadre Member Posts: 88

Don't forget that number may also contain Station Access subscribers who don't play SWG (Like myself).

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by decadre
    Don't forget that number may also contain Station Access subscribers who don't play SWG (Like myself).

It does, they have previously stated that anyone with AAP wether they have registered SWG or not on the AAP are counted as current subscribers. And to further blur that line they are now coming out with an AAP software pack that gives you all the base software and some expansions for all AAP games for $40.

You will never be able to get accurate population counts from SOE again on any of their games.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Fadeus
    Originally posted by decadre

It does, they have previously stated that anyone with AAP wether they have registered SWG or not on the AAP are counted as current subscribers. And to further blur that line they are now coming out with an AAP software pack that gives you all the base software and some expansions for all AAP games for $40.

You will never be able to get accurate population counts from SOE again on any of their games.

Right.. there is NO way to tell what game you are "subscribed" to witht he Station Pass. Now that you get ALL the games for 40 bucks, there is no reason to buy EQ2 or MxO or SWG Individually... especially when they drop it to half that.

So suddenly EVERY copy of this sold = one more SWG subscriber.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• JheronJheron Member Posts: 80

Originally posted by PepiDeto

but u have to think how many of those %80 are either fanboys who would choose to go down with a sinking ship rather than admit SWG is dead.  Also how many of those are pre-paid accounts? 
    Those are the questons to ask.

I'm sure a large percentage are also big Star Wars fans that just can't seem to let the game go. I am a huge Star Wars fan but I refused to let SOE/LA keep making me bend over and take. Once was enough with the CURB but when the NGE came out I said that is enough. Anyone who claims that pops are thriving (/nudge Wepps) just go look at the SWG forums and look at the number of posts complaining about it.
  • SlickinfinitSlickinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 1,094
    Well I just look at my server and know for a fact its dead, my toons are all dead now my last went unactive a few days ago but my last walk around I could barley find 50+ people and only 1 person was on my friends list. There is over 120+ names on my friends lsit and before the NGE my guild was 80+ members with alts, Naritus had a decent economy and population which at least on my server the NGE devestated.

{(RIP)} SWG