Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question regarding the "grind" in this game.

I did see the faq but I would like a little more indepth detail to this answere if you can. Is this game going to be one of those get to the lvl cap in one month? I would really like to see a hard grind( 8-12 months to hit the cap, playing alot.), also is it geared towards solo play/lvl like wow? I sure as hell hope not.. i want a nice mmo that you can pretty much only lvl with a group.. or having a group is an extreme advantage. Anyway if you could answere this for me that would be wonderfull thanks :)

Comments

• CorwynnCorwynn Member UncommonPosts: 24

Intended speed is irrelevant to truly hardcore players. They will ALWAYS find a way to level faster than your expectations. They will not sleep, share logins, have one person grind for another five who are afk, multi-box, and otherwise break down all conventions for how you have designed the rate of advancement.

The only game I've ever seen in which this is not the case is EVE, as everything there is time based, and even the most hardcore gamer is unable to warp the laws of space-time. :)

That said, you will not be expected to reach the level cap in an exceedingly short period of time. The design of the game anticipates that the contect will generally take a certain period to play out to max level, and that people will then be busy for another specified time working on high-level gameplay. Once that first cycle is complete, there will be another period of exploration and content before the next high-level gameplay segment.

It has to be experienced to be understood, but the world expands regularly, and with it the cycle continues indefinitely.

• lChaosllChaosl Member Posts: 40
    I don't want any "grind", I'd much rather play. As long as it is fun it isnt grind. I dont want to kill Brutal Skeleton for 2 weeks to get to level 43. And with the target recticle/skill deck combat system, it looks like it will be fun(for me anyway) because I enjoy a game that takes skill, not just a higher level and skills that do more damage.
  • lChaosllChaosl Member Posts: 40

sry double post

• BahkBahk Member Posts: 259

Thanks for the reply, I guess it really just depends on the person.. I actaully enjoy a LONG grind to the lvl cap because I simply love grouping/fighting all the time and its pretty much all I do, I think its rewarding playing in a "hardcore aspect" 5+ hours a day lvling NOT to be the first to hit the cap.. but simply doing it because you ENJOY doing it and feel rewarded making the lvls. Also I like a long grind because it feels rewarding acheiving somthing thats pretty tough and tedius like the "linage 2 grind".

• DhaemanDhaeman Member Posts: 531

What's the difference then between grinding 9 characters to level 60 in WoW and one to level 75 in Lineage 2? You're grouping, you're advancing, you're grinding. It's all the same and it's all boring in my opinion. Level based systems can't not help but feel like a grind.

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604

Originally posted by avatar6572

What's the difference then between grinding 9 characters to level 60 in WoW and one to level 75 in Lineage 2? You're grouping, you're advancing, you're grinding. It's all the same and it's all boring in my opinion. Level based systems can't not help but feel like a grind.

Not necessarily so by all means IMO. What makes the"grind" not seem like a grind is the story lines, the originality of the fight/quest/landscape. A few other things thrown in for good measure and a good game becomes a fun game, hardly noticing any "grind" at all. :) IMHO only. :)
  • HarutoHaruto Member Posts: 175

The grind is only really noticable when you are forced to fight in the same place, on the same mobs, day in and day out, killing 5-10 of them before you can even see your exp bar move. As long as you have various places to go, and a good quest system to play with, that can really bring you into the overall story and makes you feel as though you are acomplishing something, you will never notice the grind.

Eve Online, a world of infinite possibility. Click here for an extended Trial
    Dark-Wind Its War on Wheels!

• fantasygirlfantasygirl Member Posts: 26
    I agree with what [Chaos] said I'd much rather play the actual game and met people or charcters rather than kill/loot/beat up other characters or enemies all day (or in my case night) long.image

Heidi

• RedhobbitRedhobbit Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by Bahk
    I did see the faq but I would like a little more indepth detail to this answere if you can. Is this game going to be one of those get to the lvl cap in one month? I would really like to see a hard grind( 8-12 months to hit the cap, playing alot.), also is it geared towards solo play/lvl like wow? I sure as hell hope not.. i want a nice mmo that you can pretty much only lvl with a group.. or having a group is an extreme advantage. Anyway if you could answere this for me that would be wonderfull thanks :)

Heh, have you tried Final Fantasy XI? Sounds like it would be right up your alley. After >110 days of playtime, my highest job was level 61/75 and my highest crafting level was 61/100. And if you manage to run out of levels to grind, you can grind dynamis for uber weapons like excalibur. And in between that, you can grind for gil (money). And if that's not enough, you can change jobs at any time and there are currently 15 jobs to level up and soon to be 2-4 more. Also, by the time you reach level 20 (which is a tiny fraction of the game), grouping in well coordinated full parties of 6 is almost mandatory for leveling. It was fun, but I've had enough grind for quite a while. If grind is what you are looking for though, it delivers (along with some other stuff).

• BahkBahk Member Posts: 259

Originally posted by Redhobbit

Heh, have you tried Final Fantasy XI? Sounds like it would be right up your alley. After >110 days of playtime, my highest job was level 61/75 and my highest crafting level was 61/100. And if you manage to run out of levels to grind, you can grind dynamis for uber weapons like excalibur. And in between that, you can grind for gil (money). And if that's not enough, you can change jobs at any time and there are currently 15 jobs to level up and soon to be 2-4 more. Also, by the time you reach level 20 (which is a tiny fraction of the game), grouping in well coordinated full parties of 6 is almost mandatory for leveling. It was fun, but I've had enough grind for quite a while. If grind is what you are looking for though, it delivers (along with some other stuff).

Cool, is the game instanced?

• HarutoHaruto Member Posts: 175
    When I was playing it I hadn't known of any instanced areas, but that is besides the point. This thread is about tCoS, and as such not a good place to discuss FFXI related information. If you want to discuss this go to http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm/load/forums/loadclass/169 and work on thier boards. There is no need to try to hype a game on another games boards.

Eve Online, a world of infinite possibility. Click here for an extended Trial
    Dark-Wind Its War on Wheels!

• GothicshadowGothicshadow Member Posts: 25

Bah, seems like a nice game, there will always be some grinding in all mmorpg's ( More or less ;> )

• jkhurt15jkhurt15 Member Posts: 10

FFXI def. sounds like the game for you. It was my first MMORPG. I thought all were like it. Mandatory 6 people to party. Mandatory to party if you want to advance. I went to WOW and was in heaven, but i realised it was just because it was easy. I hope Spellborn will be more of a grouping game, however easier to find a party than how it was in FFXI. I dont mind the grind, in fact i love the satisfaction i get from lvling. But i hate the enternity sometimes spent in LFG.

• moses303moses303 Member Posts: 1

i like the kind of grinding in this game.
    looks kinda funny and not as boring as in wow.

• OculitusOculitus Member Posts: 203

It seems to me that Spellborn won't have much of a grind in the tradional sense. Firstly, monsters don't give leveling xp. Quests do. I suppose you could call doing the quests grinding, but as long as they're fun and there is enough of them to avoid repetition, they shouldn't seem like a grind. Also, given the action-like combat fighting monsters should (of course I haven't played it yet) feel more like hacking your way through a level in Jedi Knight than a FFXI or L2 grind-o-rama.

• ste3vunste3vun Member UncommonPosts: 24

There will be no XP for killing mobs, only for completing quests... So I think that if the spell comes out the first players will be 50 (lvl cap) in around 2 months...

• ExplodingmeExplodingme Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by lChaosl
    I don't want any "grind", I'd much rather play. As long as it is fun it isnt grind. I dont want to kill Brutal Skeleton for 2 weeks to get to level 43. And with the target recticle/skill deck combat system, it looks like it will be fun(for me anyway) because I enjoy a game that takes skill, not just a higher level and skills that do more damage.

Agreed, I hope there is no grind in this game. The fact that you can't kill monsters over and over to grind xp looks like a promising solution. Added to that is the fact that items are for looks only, with no stats. This should eliminate the grind to gain 'phat lewt.' The need to advance through quests should serve as a good way for the game to regulate just how fast a person can advance.
  • drisdaindrisdain Member Posts: 9
    I sincerely hope this is not another group fest like DDO. Nothing is worse than hanging out for an hour and a half trying to get a group together when you only have 2 or 3 hours at the most to play in a day. Hopefully there will be plenty of solo content.