Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 WoW or UXO???

flootieflootie Member Posts: 100

they should all make it out around the same time i think..at least as of now..

so what is it?

Comments

• viet_boy33viet_boy33 Member Posts: 395
    Dude thats a bad post to use that because THIS IS A EQ2 Message BOARD!!!! Anyways ultima doesnt even look that good.

My strongest move is called the Hiten Misturugi Ryu technique. No move is faster or stronger than it. (Hitokiri Battousai)

http://www.narutofan.com go there for Naruto episodes!!

• ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Member Posts: 62
    dude UXO will own both of those games... UXO is known for thier virtual system and thier ability to make kickass monsters, and they dont make you go out and kill bunny rabbits to kill skill points, or bears or any lame ass animal... and they dont copy & paste thier monsters so much that you see them 50 times a level...

Theshadow striking from within...

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

Originally posted by viet_boy33
    Dude thats a bad post to use that because THIS IS A EQ2 Message BOARD!!!! Anyways ultima doesnt even look that good.

My strongest move is called the Hiten Misturugi Ryu technique. No move is faster or stronger than it. (Hitokiri Battousai)

Waaa?!?! Ultima looks awesome, the graphics are great, the quest system is supposed to be very unique, the monsters are awesome, and the combat is breaking the MMORPG barrier. I don't understand.... Personally i think people are hyped up about EQ2's graphics. I would have to say World of Warcraft will be one of the best games out.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

trust me

with the great job soe did with eq...more and more are gonna wanna play eqii

if it's not for the graphics

then it's for the wide array of items...also how much interest is in the game (a lot)

• IntricaseIntricase Member Posts: 16

Well i figure it like this.  Its almost as if we we have been watching a 6 year movie and we just found out about the trailor for the sequel.  Everyone is going to want to watch the sequel and when it comes out the servers will be jammed with those who want to see just what happened to the world of Norrath.  However, depending on how SOE preforms on the game, will depend on if people will accept it and watch it till the bitter end or they will reject it and write bad post all over the internet while wasteing time playing SWG.  The point of this is that EQII is going to be huge.  In fact i bet people who have quit MMORPG's for real life events will eventually check it out (givin that there systems are not out dated).  So we wait in anticipation and argue and quibble about who will perform the best in the leading role.  All in all we cant really compare and contrast one game to another because they are not the same story being created and writtin.  So yea,  UXO and WoW will be great games and they may have different UI's that are great and the game play might be more appealing to some and not others.  But the one thing that will not be different is the basic story line and that is what appeals to imageme and alot of my online friends as well.

<bow>   Intricase

"Why, Thats jus' my game"

• CortezCortez Member Posts: 1

I disagree. SOE took a great game with great ideas and great prospects and turned it into something simply ment to draw in quick and easy money.

Lets face it, EQ is a really great game in sheer gameplay terms but SOE's customer service and general bug fixing are things that I would liken to that which comes out of a pigs rear end.

SOE then took such great ideas as SWG and Planetside but rushed their releases and didn't beta properly at all. As a conseqence of this, two games which should have been good came out and turned people away from MMO games in general. I actually had a lot of fun playing planetside but their refusal to take the game any further (due to the bugs setting them back) made me cancel my subscription.

If SOE do the same with the much anticipated EQ2 then, sad as I am not to say this, I think they may be finished with mmorpgaming.

This would be why I am putting my faith with Blizzard and their World of Warcraft. Blizzard is well known for pushing back release dates on account of the fact that they like to test and balance their games until they are completely satisfied with the product.

The result of this is that they produce good quality games which sell well and get good reviews.

• IntricaseIntricase Member Posts: 16

Maybe, I did not make myself very clear.  My opinion was not based SOE's (formally Verants) ability to fix bugs and have excellent customer support.  I am sure the Everquest department in SOE tries desperatly to fix as many problems as they can.  I also will not argue that SOE is releasing MMORPG games for for financial gain, that is a given.  What will be the deciding factor in how SOE handles Customer support as well as fixing Bugs as fast as possible will be based on a combination of things I assume.  First, the EQII team has some devout members from the EQ development team.  Most likely the goal will be to generate a cost effective service that takes care of minor to scale problems within the enviroment.  There is no need to fix something if it is not broken and there is no need to spend a quarter of a million dollars in Technical support teams if the system does not require it.  EQ was a learning experience i am sure for SOE's ability to find a good balance of Tech cost vs. customer satisfaction. 

Second, the general enviroment and gameplay technologies are completly different than the original everquest platform.  While this may act as a double edge sword, I have faith that SOE will design a more technical friendly platform to help players with most of the their problems. 

Third, EQII has alot more competition upon release now than when EQ came out 6 years ago.  I would think it safe to assume that EQII will try to target former EQ  players that left the game out of frustration or time constraints in that period of their life.  Trying to target customers outside of the Everquest enviroment is kind of hit and mis if you are not sure of the gameplay and the story behind everything.

This is where MY POINT comes in.  I believe that EQII will have moderate success due to a great storyline and plot.  To see the continuation of the world of Norrath and the changes within the enviroment from Halas to the Temple of Veeshan and so on will win me over at least to just be able to purchase the game and spend a few months exploring my old hunting grounds and reading new quests that are in direct relation to quests that I completed in the first Everquest.  Personally I love being a newbie to Everquest, although i am not after 5 and 1/2 years of continuous play I would love to be given the opportunity to see a changed world and a changed enviroment that reverts around current enviroments and stories that I am accustomed to in the original Everquest.

I was not comparing one game to another, I was just stateing what I and alot of my other friends who play MMORPG's believe.

<bow>   Intricase

• YordoYordo Member Posts: 831

EQ2 will be the best game out of those three by far.  SOE has incredible experience with MMO's.  SWG was buggy at the beginning but still an incredible game that was a lot of fun to play.  Ultima will be way better than WoW though.  Blizzard Entertainment has no real experience with these games and the launch will be a bust. 

Suggestion: EQ2

• NasasNasas Member Posts: 73

WoW, and EQ2 are dead even in my book, I like Blizzards attitude towards games, they will make a game great no matter what.  And EQ2 will surely be awesome because of EQ and its past experiences, they cn easily rectify their mistakes in EQ2 like too much exp grinding.  I'm looking forward to both, but I guess EQ2 might win or maybe WoW will.  Cause I'm always up for trying something new, but if Wow doesn't live up to its hype, I'll be hella mad. 

SUMMARY: EQ2, or WoW, Most likely EQ2 though.

• BKOOLBKOOL Member Posts: 67

Well each one of these games has their own good features.  EQ2 has the reputation with new graphics, WoW has a little bit of everything, and UXO should have some unbelievable gamplay.  As far as i can tell they will all be good, but personally i hope that WoW will be the best.  Also i think that it is weird that EQ2 is being compared to all these other games.  You don't see comparisons to five other games on any other forums.  It is like all the future players of EQ2 have to prove this game can beat the competition, and so far in most of the comparisons it has either lost or tied.  If you want to win a comparison compare to a far worse game.  Another comparison you could make is EQ vs EQ2, who will win that one?

• DukaseenDukaseen Member Posts: 33

hey, i am a big supporter of UO and UXO, and am currently playing the Player Run shards which are great for alot of fun if u dont want to pay monthly and dont want to spend hours and hours and hours training your guy to go fight some peeps. Before I looked at the EQ2 webpage i was totally going for UXO, but once i saw wat features and the graphics of EQ2 i changed my mind, it look s like its goin to be a crazy game with graphics that are goin to blow us all away. Just my Two Cents

-Dukaseen-

• mteschenmteschen Member Posts: 2

I'm debating between EQ2 and WoW myself.

Wow seems to be winning the hype race, which seems to be based on Blizzard's reputation.  My DAoC guild certainly seems more interested in Wow the EQ2.  The one downside for me, is I'm not sure I will be able to take the cartoonish look of the game.

EQ2 OTOH will benefit from pulling a massive community out of EQ, which may or may not be a good thing.  The downside of course is that with SWG (which I played for longer than I care to admit), SOE's reputation is in the tank.  Between the exploits, bugs, horrid combat system and poor customer service, I'm not sure I'd trust SOE again.

One game which also seems to have potential, and the attention of my DAoC guild (even more so than WoW) is Liniage 2.  Unfortunatley, the PvP ruleset will keep me from playing, but based on what Beta testers have said, that might be the game worth investigating if you can live with PK'ers.

Me, I'm going to play DAoC for another 5 months or so try and Beta both WoW and EQ2 for a limited timeframe at the same time.  If these both come out at teh same time, I'll watch for community feedback and then decide between them.

• redtigerredtiger Member Posts: 124
    I guess it depends on what sort of graphic style people prefer...I was skeptical at first, but there's something very cool to me about the more cartoony stylized graphics of UXO...Don't get me wrong, the realism and "true to the Tolkein" imagery of EQ2 is stunning stuff, but I know i'd probably lose some interest in the roleplaying aspects to some extent if it's too real world looking. That's just me. I would totally love to be in beta for all three...but who wouldn't really image

• XspurXspur Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Shadowstrike
    and they dont copy & paste thier monsters so much that you see them 50 times a level...

thats because there's not as many peeps playn..  =P

Xspur

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail !!

• WotannWotann Member Posts: 294

I played EQ when it was first released. Back then there was nothing better to do but today there's much more.

I've never been a fan of any of Ultima Online games.

WoW looks good in parts but awful in other parts. I probably will play this, but only until a better game comes along (I already know which one that's going to be), and only because so many of my friends will play this game.

None of EQ2, WoW or UO have the long term fun factor that I require of a good game.

Nemo sine vitio est

Nemo sine vitio est

• Originally posted by mteschen

I'm debating between EQ2 and WoW myself.

Ok since this thread is about EQ2 vs WoW and UXO so far so good. (Even though you mention nothing about UXO heheh.)

The downside of course is that with SWG (which I played for longer than I care to admit), SOE's reputation is in the tank.  Between the exploits, bugs, horrid combat system and poor customer service, I'm not sure I'd trust SOE again.

Now where in the title of this thread did a 4th game get mentioned?

Anyway -

SWG only had 4 servers, out of its 20+ servers, get hit hard with 1 major exploit. This was corrected during the First month of release. There were also minor exploits. All of them were corrected within the first four months of release.

There was nothing "horrid" about the combat system, unless you dislike NOT being able to click attack then walk away make a sandwich, and come back - like with EQ. image

Combat in SWG required a lot of planning, and thinking. PvP combat even moreso!

Of course, if your terrified of combat, you can on purpose take super easy and wimpy missions, instead if harder missions. Or stay near the cities, or stay on the starter newbie planets.... instead of getting your cowardly self away from the cities and deep into the wilderness. Or travel to the non-starter planets like Lok, Dathomir, Endor , and others. What the best possible combat experience? Create a characer on the unofficial PvP servers! Heheh.

Since you are posting your opinion about SWG on Febuary 6, 2004, EVERYTHING you have said about SWG is absolutly F-A-L-S-E.

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========
    MMORPG games I've played:
    -------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    -----------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

• IglooRTIglooRT Member Posts: 12

I really have absolutley no interest in UXO, as for WoW I suppose if I get into beta I will give it a try, see how it goes but otherwise I will be playing EQ2, just as everyone here should be doing.

Days to Everquest2 [?]

Days to Everquest2 [?]

• DukaseenDukaseen Member Posts: 33

Hey Wotann, i am wondering now, what game are u talking about? If its not UXO, WOW or EQ2 which are goin to be the next big things then wat is it? Is it that city of Heros game ? I personally dont like that game as i dont like that genre of game play. But wat game is it that you are talking about??

-Dukaseen-

•  My comment on the subject of this thread:

EQ2 - This game will be a guaranteed success! EVEN if it ends up being "EQ with better graphics" it will still meet the industry standard of a successfull MMORPG and have 100,000 accounts.

IMHO EQ2 will never eclipse EQ1, though it IS possible years from now, as more players are forced to upgrade their computers to play other games (FPS, RTS, RPGs) EQ2 will gradually take out EQ1.

WoW - This game will NOT be more successfull than EQ2. WoW has as much going for it, as it has going against it. WoW has one thing that no other MMORPG has ever had, except SWG.... the chance to EXPAND the playerbase in the MMORPG market. To draw in new MMORPG players who have never played a MMORPG, and who would have never ever thought about playing a MMORPG. SWG added roughly 200,000 NEW MMORPG players which is a plus for the entire market.

If WoW can get just a fraction of the MILLIONS of Blizzard fans to go for paying a monthly subscription, then it will have succeeded 2 times over. It will make the 100,000 account mark. And it will have added new MMORPG players to the MMORPG market which is a plus for the entire market.

New players added to the existing playerbase will want to check out other MMORPGs.... including EQ2, and others. image 

There IS room for both EQ2 and WoW to both be successfull. WoW is an either or deal, because it will be the first time Blizzard is attempting to make a MMORPG. It doesn't matter how many races you win on a 600cc motorcycle. When you race a 1,200cc motorcycle it's a very different ballgame.

UXO - I'm sorry to say, that for a MMORPG this game will at first release with decent numbers and then will gradually fade. Even though it's being advertised as being nothing like UO, and not UO2... UO fans will still flock to it at first because they are DYING for a modern sequel to UO. Any new and modern game with "Ultima" in the title will do. But alas, from how it looks sooo far, UXO is a "fake MMORPG".

The game DEVs for this game are on purpose trying to make it as UNLIKE UO as possible! LOL! "This is not UO2!" they keep saying, along with the fans of UXO keep saying. As if that is a NICE thing to say!

I loooove their main arguement for this - "We already have a successfull game Ultima Online. We don't want to compeat with it." Ummm... yeah right. As if they can force the market to do what they want it to do. The company that makes a new modern MMORPG will have a leg up on the company that does not take advantage of modern technology.

UO is still successfull because of a core group of fans. But slowly and surely, even the core UO fans will be gradually siphered away by EQ2, WoW, Lin2, and other modern games. As soon as the first modern Tolkien-themed Skill Based game is released - goodbye UO! Soo far EQ2, and others are still leaning towards being Level Based games.

Basically, UXO as it looks right now, is simply an RPG that can be played online. Very much like Diablo 2 Lords of Destruction. Players do not need each other at all. ALL players are playing towards the SAME GOAL. A goal that is also reachable by ALL players. There is 1 major new game mechanic which is intresting. But any positives about this game, is throughly wiped out by all the negatives - like the fact it is basically a super-stripped down MMORPG. Not good. Not good at all. Especially like it or not, it WILL be compeating vs all other MMORPGs. I wish they would at least be honest and say "UXO is really a ORPG" like Diablo 2, Dungeon Siege, etc... except even more players can play online in the same world.

Sooo... EQ2 will be first, then WoW, then UXO. Expand this to included all the other NEW major MMORPGs..

1. Lin2 / EQ2

3. WoW

4. UXO

With possible upsets coming from Atriarch, DnL, DE, GW, Wish, and others on the list of "Games in Development" on the far left side of this page.

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

• redtigerredtiger Member Posts: 124

With due respect to your comments xplororor, I have to disagree with the statement that UXO is a "fake MMORPG", and I was a little confused when you said it was basically "an RPG that you can play online", since that's sort of the definition of an MMORPG. I will agree that several of the recognized elements that have defined what an MMORPG is up to now are not going to be present in UXO on release, but the devs have justified this (at least in my mind) pretty well by maintaining their focus on the core parts of any RPG first (character development, combat, quests, etc.). Having good, strong and interesting basics will mean that it'll be a solid game to expand upon. I really don't care about the MMORPG wars in terms of who will win out because the choice of game is really up to the player. I'm sure if we were all rich enough we'd all be subscribed to all three of these if not more of em. And frankly I think while most UO fans (myself included) have been waiting for something new in the series, the majority of us aren't the whiners and cultish Garriot fanboys that yell the loudest on boards that UXO is blasphemy. Seriously guys, it's a freakin' game...go outside for an hour or something. Anyway, I'm all for more variety in the games, it irks me sometimes that folks get SOOO attached to one game that they completely abuse others that they haven't even played yet.  Just my opinion on the subject. And before you start flaming me for this, I'd prefer to hear more about what the games you guys support are all about, and what makes them "better" than the others on these lists.

• Originally posted by redtiger

With due respect to your comments xplororor, I have to disagree with the statement that UXO is a "fake MMORPG", and I was a little confused when you said it was basically "an RPG that you can play online", since that's sort of the definition of an MMORPG. I will agree that several of the recognized elements that have defined what an MMORPG is up to now are not going to be present in UXO on release, but the devs have justified this (at least in my mind) pretty well by maintaining their focus on the core parts of any RPG first (character development, combat, quests, etc.). Having good, strong and interesting basics will mean that it'll be a solid game to expand upon. I really don't care about the MMORPG wars in terms of who will win out because the choice of game is really up to the player. I'm sure if we were all rich enough we'd all be subscribed to all three of these if not more of em. And frankly I think while most UO fans (myself included) have been waiting for something new in the series, the majority of us aren't the whiners and cultish Garriot fanboys that yell the loudest on boards that UXO is blasphemy. Seriously guys, it's a freakin' game...go outside for an hour or something. Anyway, I'm all for more variety in the games, it irks me sometimes that folks get SOOO attached to one game that they completely abuse others that they haven't even played yet.  Just my opinion on the subject. And before you start flaming me for this, I'd prefer to hear more about what the games you guys support are all about, and what makes them "better" than the others on these lists.

Fair enough.

With UXO what I am getting at is almost the same with TSO vs TS. The Simms is a stand alone RPG. The Simms Online is suppsivly a MMORPG. The thing is, there is virtually NO difference between the two.

With UXO , even you admit there are many KEY elements that will be missing from it that define a MMORPG. Thus why I call it a stripped down MMORPG, and why I call it a "fake MMORPG".

What will be the difference between UXO and Dungeon Siege? Or Diablo 2? ALL players are after the same exact goal. All players are able to achieve the one same goal... no matter what class/race they pick. What little PvP options there are have no real gain or loss for the participants. (Though the PvP ladder ranking system is a good idea - already done in MMORPG Vegabond's Quest.) But what good is having a PvP ladder ranking system if there are no real reasons to PvP in the first place? No real gains to be made? No real losses to suffer if one loses?

Why pay a monthly fee for what , soo far, amounts to a Diablo 2 type RPG but with even more players able to be in the same world?

BTW, I am not harping on UO. I am not criticizing UO, nor any of the Ultima RPGs from Ultima 0 to Ultima 9. Just UXO I am criticizing from a MMORPG standpoint. So no one gets confused.

==============================================

Games I support aka the best of the best of the best.... that are currently out:

Right now, there is no brand new, modern Tolkien-themed MMORPG that is skill based. IMHO Skill based games are better than Level based games. They give the player more choices.

Tolkien Themed:

EQ = Best Level Based.

UO and AC = Tie for best Skill Based. UO wins for better and more game features. AC has a more modern game engine than UO though, with some of UO's game features.

Sci Fi Themed:

SWG and AO = Solid Tie after SWG finally introduced Land Vehicles. SWG actually took the best features in UO and AO, and further built on them. Thus SWG has the most choices for players when it comes to gameplay. AO still holds up because it still has some major features that even SWG does not have, like PvP for landcontrol. AO , unlike DAoC and SB, did PvP right.  SWG also did PvP right, but AO did PvP even better than SWG IMHO. Since in AO there is far more to gain, and to lose, in PvP.

What the market needs now is a brand new, modern, Tolkien-themed Skill Based game to get released. A midevel SWG.... aka... a UO2. Alas, EQ2 looks to be another Level Based game. EQ with more features. Not really bad, since there IS a market for Level based games. image 

Back to what you mentioned about core fans. I think this will be more of a major factor than everyone thinks. Which means all MMORPGs cannot be compared to each other when it comes to which will fail and which will succeed. ALL will succeed ('cept for the flop AC2 image ) All will turn a profit. Thus, there is no "EQ vs WoW vs UXO". It's more of "What type of playstyle does everyone have? Then you should try <insert name> EQ or WoW or UXO."

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------