Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Albion needs better race selection.

brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975

Another problem I've noticed in this game is that the Albion realm is full of humans.  Sure, humans of various types, but all humans none the less.  There is 1, maybe 2 exceptions to this.  But I'll list what I mean by each individual race.

Briton - Humans, plain and true.

Avalonian - Tall, more magically inclined humans.

Highlander - more robust phisical humans.

Saracen - Arabic humans with more speed.

Half-Ogre - Looks nothing like an ogre, just a really big human.

Inconnu - THIS is different.  Little grey-ish blue guys with tenrils on their faces.

The race selection for Albion is disappointing, especially compared to the large variety available to the other realms.  I would think they would be more creative than 5 types of humans.

Comments

• DesalusDesalus Member UncommonPosts: 848

I have to agree, this is what first turned me off from albion. The classes are cool, but generally all the races look the same. The Inconnu are different, and the Half-Ogres are somewhat different, but face it, the Inconnu sound like panzies when they get hit, and the half-ogres are one of the dumbest looking races in daoc.

---------------------------------------------
    Killer 86%, Socializer 53%, Explorer 33%, Achiever 26%

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I just wish that the Inc's could be wizards. That would be keen.

But more on topic, I totally agree with the OP. Albion's lack of racial variety really lowers their appeal to me. Thinking back to the old Arthurian legends, what would be some new races that would fit the setting?

Faerie. These occured in several Arthurian legends. Unfortunatley, the entire realm of Hibernia sort of naturally fits this role, since the Faerie were generally not too freindly and there are a lot of references to the Faerie in Hibernia. It does vary a bit. In some versions of the legends the Lady of the Lake is a faerie of some sort. However, many of the Faerie were in fact dim memories of Irish gods and goddeses...so again this is essentially Hibernia.

Half demon. In some versions of the legends Merlin was actually the offspring of a human and a demon. However he isn't usually depicted as having horns or goat feet, or anything else that would make him visually more interesting than the exitsing Albion races. Maybe if you were given a variety of custimization options from very human looking (maybe just with glowing eyese or something) to really monsterous. I can imagine that the offspring of humans and demons would be quite varied in appearance. However, this does seem like a bit of a stretch for the general "feel" of Albion, which is generally pretty conservative generic fantasy fare (Note: in that Arthurian legends and Tolkein constitute the canon of "generic fantasy" this is a complement rather than an insult to the designers of the realm).

Can anyone else think of anything? From all this it seems like any future races that actually added diversity would have to be something essentially made up like Inc's . . .as opposed to "real" mythical races wich aren't made up....::::04::

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• RedRabRedRab Member UncommonPosts: 280

I have always wondered why male Inconnu sound like frogs when hit, whilst female Inconnu sound normal?

“Hustlers of the world, there is one mark you cannot beat: the mark inside.”
    William S. Burroughs

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    Does anyone know if there are plans for any upcoming expansions that will offer more races?
  • RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

New login poll went up today asking what people wanted in the fall expansion. :) One of the options was "New Races", log in and cast your vote! :)

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."