Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Power-leveling is an unfair advantage present in this game.

2»

Comments

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Originally posted by brihtwulf
    Power-levelling does hurt people, and it is as bad as cheating. Here's why:
    1. Only veteran players will be power-levelled because they know people in game. A new player doesn't typically have friends who are high level and able to spend time getting their character up.
    2. It takes away from the available characters to group or hunt with in the game. When a majority of lower-level characters are just being power-levelled, it takes away from the game for new players. No one wants to group when they can just get max exp and power-level.
    3. The max-exp is so high that people can go from 1-50 in a week in some cases by power-levelling. What is the point of even bothering to play the game. If they want the game to be about nothing more than RvR, then they should just have an option to create a level 50 when you start.
    The game is so geared toward veteran players, it is a discouragement to any new arrivals, and will in the end drastically impact the future survivability of the game as many veteran players tire of the end game and move on to greener pastures. There is no in-flow of new blood on the field. It's really sad to see beacause the game has so much potential and a great number of things that are wonderful. But from a new player standpoint, it's not a game to move into. The game only benefits veterans and makes new players suffer.

1. Often new players are just as likely to be powerleveled as new players. If you play on an established server, new players will often be given gold, armor, items, invites to groups, and invites to guilds. Do we go out and ask people who are new? No, but often someone will send someone else in game a /send and then you know they are new. At that point many players will offer such advantages.

2. I see, even on my tiny old server, groups of low level players. Further, if these people did not want to group with you at low level, but prefer to be powerleveled, then why do you think they would all of a sudden group with you if powerleveling was gone? They would simply solo/duo with the guild/alliance. Or they could simply decide to not make new toons.

3. There is a huge amount of PvE content. The #1 reason why leveling is so easy now is because of NEW PLAYERS! That is right, new players. At one time it took 50+ days in game to get a level 50. Now, if you are a new player and you know it is going to take 50 days to be able to play with the majority of the gaming community, would you bother to play? You get very fast leveling. You also get at least 1 free level a week. Catacombs is filled with ways to get you to level quicker. It is not because the vets needed it or asked for it. It was a response to WoW and a means to make it easier for new players to be able to play with the established community.

Sure, instead we could have made people with a level 50 level slower. We could hold their level 50's priosoners until they spent 50+ in game days leveling with a new player, but instead of bringing the older players down, they tried to bring the new players up.

The issues you have with grouping would not be solved by removing powerleveling. Grouping issues have been around for a long time even before /level and where you had to be within X # of levels to be able to get XP. So the empirical evidence runs contrary to your thesis. You would still have issues.

So the question you need to ask is whether or not you enjoy the game enough as is to keep playing. I doubt that powerleveling will be removed, and even if it was, by that time you will have a level 50.

So think about it this way, sure you get to 50 really fast, but you can just make another character and explore some different content this time around.

• hodge12hodge12 Member Posts: 99
    Keep in mind that this game came out in fall 2001. There were lvl 50's by 2002, and powerleveling was big in guilds that wanted good pvp characters. People were quitting the game by spring 2002 because they were max lvl and bored of pvp.

Originally posted by hodge12
    Keep in mind that this game came out in fall 2001. There were lvl 50's by 2002, and powerleveling was big in guilds that wanted good pvp characters. People were quitting the game by spring 2002 because they were max lvl and bored of pvp.

People quit for lots of reasons. If the post level 50 content is about killing other players and you do not enjoy that, then I recomend the nonstop grind that is EQ.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

This is really confusing me.

Arguments that PL'ing is wrong don't stand up. As far as noobs go, I am noob and loads of offers have come in to power level my toons. I declined. It isn't my thing but to say it should be blocked? It doesn't hurt my game if others PL thier toons.

If Player Joe has one goal, to be in Level 50 RvR, what real contribution will he make between 1 and 49? You could stop him from PL'ing, you won't make him like the stuff he doesn't like or make him participate.

I dunno, sounds like your trying to force game style and it won't work.

• razziellerazzielle Member Posts: 162

PL'n is a personal preference.  Personally I never did it unless I had a 50 myself that I could bring to help the PL or if the toon being PL'd could help in some small insignificant way (like a healer or shaman spreadhealing until his bar is gone.)

PL'n is a little faster than normal leveling.  Like my personal record was going from level 8 to 26 in one night and I've heard of people doing more.  But the problem to this is as stated in many posts is that people don't truly get the time to "learn" they're toons.  And its not just slapping the combo buttons together, it's also learning theyre speed in attacking, how often they block (if they block), how much power they lose.  Just little things like that.  Like I refused to PL my SB cause of how tricky they are to learn.

About the only real good thing that I've seen coming from PL'n lowbie/newbie toons is the gold/loot factor.  Kinda gives them a small head start.

It's everyones deal though.  If you want to get to 50 fast and dont care to see the game inbetween then PL.  If you like to see the game from start to finish then do your own thing

• lewllewl Member Posts: 86

PLing is usually a two way street. One person PL's the other either becuase they themselves want to be PL'd or maybe a guild id trying to put together a btter balanced RvR group and needs a particular toon PL'd to make the group.

Its not like certain people hop on line and get freebee's that for some reason you dont get.

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

Uhmm..the game is all about RvR. If Mythic gave a crap about PvE they never would have introduced Task Dungeons.

I love getting power leveled when I play because its a lot faster and less boring then killing the same monsters in the same place 12 hours in a row, when you can do the the same thing...with better all around results with a level 50.

• lewllewl Member Posts: 86

I dont know its all about rvr. Just because some people choose to PL throught the TDs to play RvR which is allot of fun kinda ignores the fact that theres is literally boat loads of content out there.

If it was all about RvR, then why not just abandon PvE completly? It will save them a lot of time by not developing it or supporting it. But since they haven't I believe your idea is without merit.

In general, I think to some degree TD are bad for the game but not in the usual compliants. My issue is that the XP is so high and you have the convience factor. There needs to be a trade off. Yes it is easy and quick to do, but at the same time the amount of XP bonus needed to be reduced.

Instances I do not have a problem with. I think those are a great edition to the game.