Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: PvP is Coming...

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

With Player Vs. Player Combat making its way into EverQuest II very soon, the developers have sent out this release as a kind of explanation of what we can look forward to. For more information on EverQuest II, click here.

As you may already know, Player-versus-Player combat is coming to EverQuest II! It is currently planned to launch simultaneously with Kingdom of Sky, the second EQII expansion. PvP will take place on new PvP-ruleset servers named after famous dragons in Norrath. Everyone will have the opportunity to start fresh on a PvP server and be a part of the escalated conflict between Freeport and Qeynos.

The launch of PvP will see dedicated Player-versus-Player ruleset servers for our US, UK, DE, and FR servers. There will be two US PvP servers, one of which will be Exchange-enabled. Now that we have the basic facts straight, let's explore how our PvP-ruleset worlds will work, shall we?

Gameplay
The general gameplay is as follows: You start off aligned with the city you choose at character creation--Freeport (Evil) or Qeynos (Good). You will hunt and battle with members of the opposing alignment to gain experience, status, faction and titles. Further rewards will become available at PvP merchants as you earn standing within your city--you will have the opportunity to purchase items and other rewards from these special merchants.

Nowhere in Norrath is safe, so be on your toes. While you are relatively safe within the protective walls of your home city, you'll have to watch your back nearly everywhere else (see "City PvP"). Let's get that adrenaline pumping!

Communication and Interaction
On EverQuest II PvP-ruleset servers, there is a distinct language barrier between citizens of Qeynos and citizens of Freeport. All players aligned with Qeynos will speak Antonican, and all players aligned with Freeport will speak Lucanic. This means that members of opposing cities cannot understand each other's language.

Regardless of the language you choose to speak in--be it draconic, oggish, or otherwise--members of the opposing city will be unable to understand what you communicate in /say. Similarly, anything said in /auction, /ooc, and /shout channels will only be seen by members of the same alignment (good, evil, betraying).

Things you CAN NOT do across alignments:

• Group with members outside of your alignment
  • Join a guild that is not of your alignment
  • Send /tells to characters not of your alignment
  • View /auction, /ooc, /shout from characters of another alignment
  • Join chat channels created by characters of another alignment
  • View members of another alignment in the zone with /who
  • Send mail via the Norrathian Express
  • Trade items or coin
  • /duelbet (/duel still functions)

Combat
Spells, combat arts, and combat in general may not function identically to PvE during PvP. We have the ability to define any level of differences in the combat system for PvP, from global changes like "all spells and arts do slightly less damage to players" to specific changes such as "this particular effect on this particular spell works slightly differently in PvP."

Here is a general outline of how combat-related effects are changing on a fairly broad scale. Note that the changes that are described below only have to do with PvP combat, as PvE combat on PvP servers functions the same as on Standard-ruleset servers.

Taunts and Hate Reduction
Taunts have the ability to change players' targets in PvP. They can also keep targets focused on the taunter for short durations of time.

Spells that reduce hostile hate or lower your position on a creature's hate list can force players to completely lose their target. Examples would include a Scout's Evade or Templar's Placate.

Melee Combat
The default maximum range for melee combat has been increased. Positional spells and arts that require the caster to be either behind or flanking the opponent will work if either requirement is met. *Note* This is only the case against other players.

Control Spells
Control spells (Snare, Root, Stun, Fear, Charm, Stifle, Mez, and Pacify) will carry an immunity placed on the target for 2x the duration of the spell. Essentially, if you are rooted for 10 seconds, you will be immune from any root effects for the duration of that root and for 10 seconds after the spell wears off. *Note* You'll only be immune to these effects from other players; these immunities will not protect you from NPC spells.

Other
A character that would normally be invisible or stealthed to you will appear with a shadowy outline if within a specified range (currently 30m). Characters that would normally be visible to you (i.e. if they are significantly below your level or you can see-stealth or see-invis) will remain visible with the shadowy outline outside of this range.

Upon zoning, players will be immune from PvP combat until they initiate a hostile action or move. No need to worry about zoneline campers as long as you don't make yourself vulnerable.

A separate inspection option has been included on PvP servers that will allow players to view how Spells and Combat Arts perform in PvP combat (you will access this in the right-click context menu).

Death and Rewards
Currently, deaths from PvP kills will result in moderate experience debt. You will not receive any armor damage. *Note* If you are on any creature's hate list at the time of your PvP death, you will take normal PvE death penalties.

Rewards for engaging in and triumphantly winning a PvP conflict vary depending on how the kill took place. Rewards and definitions for kill types follow.

Honorable Kills: Any kill of the opposing alignment that was first engaged while the target had greater than 80% health. The first group or player that engaged will receive experience, status, and faction.

Neutral Kills: Any kill of the opposing alignment that was first engaged while the target had greater than 50% health. Neutral kills result in moderate faction gain, but do not reward experience or status.

Dishonorable Kills: Any kill of the opposing alignment that was first engaged while the target had less than 50% health. Dishonorable kills result in a loss of faction with both your alignment and the opposing alignment. Losing enough faction will cause you to fall out of favor with your alignment, and will restrict or remove any access to the rewards system.

The Kill List: Honorably killing another player will place them on a list tied to your character, designed to reduce friend farming and griefing. Any Honorable subsequent kill of the same player will result in a neutral kill until you have killed 10 other players. Neutral and Dishonorable kills have no effect on the list.

PvP Rules
While PvP servers are, for the most part, very dangerous and intense worlds to live in, there are a few rules that Norrathians must still abide by. These rules are outlined below:

Players under level 10 are protected from and cannot initiate PvP combat. While some players will be ready to have at it swords a-swingin' and spells a-flyin' from the get-go, others will need to familiarize themselves with their character a bit before joining the fight.

Players cannot openly engage in PvP within their city walls under the same rules. This currently refers to both Freeport and Qeynos main zones, districts and villages. PvP within the city walls is handled in the form of City PvP Flagging, which is outlined in the section below.

For the opposing alignment, players' names will have a red outline indicating that they are a valid hostile target. Any players +/- up to 8 levels are valid targets, and their names will appear as a color based on the level difference:

• Green: 5-8 levels below you.
  • Blue: 1-4 levels below you.
  • White: Even level.
  • Yellow: 1-4 levels above you.
  • Orange: 5-8 levels above you.
  • Player names more than 8 levels below will appear grey, and non-aggro.
  • Player names more than 8 levels above you will appear red, and non-aggro.

You cannot attack any player that cons grey unless they attack you first.

As previously mentioned, when you zone you will be immune to PvP combat until you either move or initiate a hostile action. Conversely, you will be unable to attack someone who has just zoned until they either move or perform a hostile action.

City PvP
PvP within city walls works a little differently than it does in the outside world. The idea is that you are relatively well-protected within the walls of Freeport and Qeynos. Under normal circumstances, a player cannot attack another player within a city unless they are specifically flagged for this to occur. The rules for City PvP are as follows:

• Attacking any NPC in a safe zone (i.e. city) flags the attacker for "City PvP."
  • Anyone flagged as "City PvP" can be attacked by anyone of the opposing alignment in any zone who meets the requirements to engage in PvP.
  • Anyone that attacks a "City PvP" flagged player also becomes flagged for "City PvP."
  • "City PvP" flagging lasts for 15 minutes from the last hostile action taken against a safe zone NPC or another "City PvP" flagged player.

PvP: Coming Soon to EverQuest II
We hope you'll try and enjoy Player-versus-Player conflict within EverQuest II, due to be unleashed on February 21, 2006 along with Live Update #20. PvP server names will be revealed in the February newsletter and, later, as part of update notes. Be one of the first to experience traditional PvP action in the world of EverQuest II's Norrath. It's time to heat up the cold war!

[ expand article ]

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• GascogneGascogne Member Posts: 30

*Edit*
    Dubble post

• GascogneGascogne Member Posts: 30

[quote]Originally posted by Stradden
    [bYou will hunt and battle with members of the opposing alignment to gain experience, status, faction and titles.[/b][/quote]

Experience for pvp? ::::03::

Should be intresting to see if it works out.

• B._TOM_KiddB._TOM_Kidd Member Posts: 69

nice rules.
    need to watch how it wil roll out, as in theory its sound excellent.

Wolfang, the lvl 50 Guardian of Splitpaw - EQ2.
    SuRfer of Werner - Planetside

• knowomknowom Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Never ended up trying EQ 2 personally mostly because it didn't offer pvp and since they're making special new servers for this it's something to look into I might actually consider trying the game now.
  • anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    It's gonna be sooo sweet....I'm goin' Evil anyone else?image

• ArremusArremus Member Posts: 656

Originally posted by anarchyart

I was considering that from an RP point of view (reckon there will be any RP? There so needs to be an RP-PvP server added too..) but I've only ever played Qeynos side, and know Qeynos inside and out. And I'm thinking we're going to need every advantage we can get. I know literally nothing about Freeport side, and don't fancy learning the place on the PvP server hehe.

Plus I'm going Ranger, my main's class. *evil grin*
    That's going to be a LOT of fun (well.. saying that now before we find out how the PvP skill rulesets will be different from PvE).

"(The) Iraqi people owe the American people a huge debt of gratitude." - George W Bush.
    Oh. My. God.

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144
    Looks pretty good except maybe the stealth/invis. What's the point if they can see you 30m away, it sounds like scout class just got whacked HARD. Maybe I won't be going to the pvp server after all.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• RaventhornRaventhorn Member Posts: 19
    Stealth sounds like crap. Should be able to get some beat on people with stealth but I do not want stealthers to ruin the game as they did in DAoC (IMHO). I also am not too keen on the idea of having to watch the level and frequency of kills of a person to make sure I dont lose an HK. Will have to see what the first level of nerfing results in too. ;)
  • ObadnoObadno Member Posts: 401

Originally posted by anarchyart

Im with ya brotha

Im gunna be on non-exchange server, my name will be Obadno naturally,  i cant wait to mezz charm a mage, and make him attack a high level gaurd on my Coercer image

The new EQ2, better than ever befor !
    don't click this link...

• headcacheheadcache Member Posts: 61

Originally posted by Arremus
    I was considering that from an RP point of view (reckon there will be any RP? There so needs to be an RP-PvP server added too..)

I can't image RP becoming prevalent with such a ruleset. Can't talk to the opposition? I can understand if you had to switch to "Common", or some other language to communicate, but no communication at all? You won't see opposing /shouts? That's kinda weird. You'd think you'd at least hear them yelling, even if you didn't know what the heck they were saying. There's room for common, run-of-the-mill, RP with your own faction and such; but you can never have that "traitor", or diplomacy, or just temporary alliances to defeat another common foe. Sadly, the rulesets games have been implementing of late severely restrict RP. But I'm just a geek. =)