Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Password stealing trojan for WoW

GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

Comments

• WordaenWordaen Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by grunty

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/pwsteal.wowcraft.c.html

Nice. I wondered how long it would be until some tool fired one of these off.
  • Disturbed1Disturbed1 Member Posts: 27

There was one that was active last summer as well, it usually showed up as CSRSSS.exe in the processes list of task manager.

See "Buying Gold from compromised accounts" thread sticky on the official general forum for more info on that.

Originally posted by Disturbed1

There was one that was active last summer as well, it usually showed up as CSRSSS.exe in the processes list of task manager.
    See "Buying Gold from compromised accounts" thread sticky on the official general forum for more info on that.

No kiddin? I'll have to check that out. I love the idiots who write these things. They keep me employed. :)
  • ramadinramadin Member Posts: 1,304

Originally posted by Wordaen
    No kiddin? I'll have to check that out. I love the idiots who write these things. They keep me employed. :)

So youre employed by idiots?  Sounds like where I work...

-----------------Censored------------------

Originally posted by ramadin

Originally posted by Wordaen

So youre employed by idiots?  Sounds like where I work...

Actually, I work in IT for a hospital. Part of my job is maintaining security, anti-virus etc etc. I guess in a way I am employed by idiots. If the scriptmonkeys who wrote viruses went away I would just need to find other stuff to do to fill in that gap :)
  • mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653

I think I may be a victim of this trojan. My account was used to post some gold sell advertisement on the forums and i was permanently banned from posting last sat, jan 21. So far I've sent about a dozen e-mails saying I didn't post it, which I didn't. They wrote me back saying my account was used, I asked which character, and they said they didn't know. How can they be so sure it was my account if they can't tell me which character posted it? I like many others have several alts of which are popular names on other servers. I asked them to check which IP it was, they didn't even answer me on that. Finally I asked for a warning instead of a perma ban. No reply there. Honestly I love playing WoW and can actually still play, but I was very into posting on the forums. It was like therapy for me. Now all I can do is just look.

All in all, I just got canned automated responses every single reply I got. Also, I was shuffled back and forth between departments 3 times. I don't think I ever had a chance to get my forum privledges back and as such I've cancelled my account. The one question I do have is has anyone tried to post with an account that isn't active? Does it work? If so I would buy another copy of the game, but I'd like to know before I buy.

• thepkerthepker Member Posts: 192

ouch... it appears as csrsss.exe or is it just a typo u had??????????????????? cuz csrss.exe is for nortorn

• JyhadJyhad Member Posts: 95

I miss the old days of BBS's. When you got a virus, it jacked up your whole computer. Now they mostly steal infomation. It was a lot more fun download games and then praying to the computer gods that there wasn't a virus in them. I know this has no point to what this is about but it got me thinking.

Which FF Character Are You?

Currently Playing: WoW, Guild Wars, DDO
    Have Played: FFXI, EVE, CoH/CoV, Linage2, LotRO: Alpha - Open Beta
    Awaiting: WAR, WAR40K
    NON-MMO Playing: Jade Empire

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646

Originally posted by thepker
    ouch... it appears as csrsss.exe or is it just a typo u had??????????????????? cuz csrss.exe is for nortorn

It's normal for viruses to call themself something very similar to known and safe files. Makes them harder to spot in your system processes list.

• gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

how is it contracted?

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there