Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DDO stinks

2»

Comments

• CyberneticCybernetic Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by pb1285n

I also felt like alot of the quests were unrealistic. Most of them seemed to go like this: Someone asks you to go into a house/pub/cellar/basement and get something/someone and bring it/him/her back to them. While in this house/cellar/basement you discover the entrance to a secret room/catacomb/dungeon/etc which the owner of the place had never noticed before even though the entrance to it was in plain site and only took you seconds to discover it yourself and which you choose to explore against your better judgement. This leads you on a quest through dark passageways, fierce monsters, and carefully placed traps only to discover treasure, strange artifacts, and/or a terrible beast/ghost/undead monster.
    Not only was it repetitive at times but almost laughable. I'd really like to visit this city where every house seems to contain a hidden dungeon in its basement.

Lol that's indeed a very good example of how these games can be very unrealistic and exaggerated.
  • HalkiHalki Member Posts: 10

Every patch its gotten less fun. I havent played since patch 5 yet, but they changed a number of things that are not being well received.

The content can be added later, but they will need to add an awful lot within the first two weeks. Avid gamers with a mess of time will hit level 10 (cap) in under a month without too much trouble. Even playing casually its not unheard of to be approaching cap in two months. Im worried that the content they add will have bugs as some dungeon fixes took several patch attempts to get them right and without it having been tested in beta its bound to have lurking issues.

• mouser_incmouser_inc Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by kaikai
    if you want to get picky about it, your forgetting about both the baldurs gate dark alliance games on the ps2, both of which were single playerplus since when was neverwinter nights AD&D?? it has the feat system and THAC0 does not exist, thats 3rd ed D&D not AD&D.

all those 2 PS2 games was a simple role playing game slapped wihtthe D&D name

and if you did a little research you would know that Bioware's Never Winter Nights wasn't the first one to carry that name it was frist done by Aol here is what I am talking about from Wiki

History The original version of Neverwinter Nights ran on AOL from 1991 through 1997, and was a co-development of SSI, TSR (acquired by Wizards of the Coast in 1997), AOL and Stormfront Studios. The Stormfront game design team was already working with SSI on Dungeons & Dragons games using the Gold Box engine that had debuted with Pool of Radiance in 1988. At the same time, they had been working with AOL on original online games since 1987 in both text-based and graphical formats. Graphics at the time were severely restricted by the need to support modem data transfer rates as slow as 300 bits per second (bit/s).

In late 1989 the Stormfront team realized that it was technically feasible to combine the Dungeons & Dragons Gold Box engine with the community-focused gameplay of online titles to create an online RPG with graphics. Although Air Warrior had been online since 1987, all prior online RPGs had been based on text.

In a series of meetings with AOL's Steve Case and Kathi McHugh, TSR's Jim Ward and SSI's Chuck Kroegel, Stormfront's Don Daglow and Cathryn Mataga convinced the other three partners that the project was indeed possible. Set in the same Forgotten Realms area as the current NWN game, Neverwinter Nights went live in the spring of 1991 and originally cost USD$6.00 per hour to play. Some users bragged about monthly game bills of $500 or more. As the years progressed, connection costs dropped, AOL and NWN membership grew, the servers became faster and the hourly cost charged players declined. As a result of these upgrades, the capacity of each server grew from 50 players in 1991 to 500 players by 1995.

The original Neverwinter Nights was expanded once, in 1992. At about this time AOL’s subscriber growth started to expand exponentially, as the adoption of email by everyday Americans drove new sign-ups. AOL diverted all its efforts into keeping up with the exploding demand for modem connections and online capacity. All other game development at AOL other than NWN was suspended, and the game's player capacity was enhanced through server-side improvements but not through the addition of new playable areas. Nevertheless, the original game remained one of AOL's most active areas until its then-ancient technology forced its retirement in 1997.

Much of the game's popularity was based on the presence of active and creative player guilds, who staged many special gaming events online for their members. It is this committed fan base that BioWare sought when they licensed the rights to Neverwinter Nights from AOL and TSR as the basis for the modern game.

NWN gained incremental media attention from AOL tech and marketing staff appearing in the Don't Copy That Floppy campaign by the Software Publishers Association.

Following Neverwinter Nights in 1991, the early major graphical MMORPGs were The Shadow of Yserbius in 1993, Ultima Online in 1997 and Everquest in 1999.

A persistent-world module, Neverwinter: Resurrection, has attempted to recreate many of the locales in the original game and attract the original player base. A stand-alone online recreation of the original NWN has also been created by players called Forgotten World[1]

• HalkiHalki Member Posts: 10

Heh, I had an AOL account back in the day for the express purpose of playing NWN, I never let my bill hit $500 though.

Incidentally, it took me quite a while to not call the recent version NWN2.

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

I managed to rack up a $1000 bill one month..ouch.

I still have the game files,  manual, and player maps on my HD, along with the last NW staff schedule :) 

That Wiki seriously downplays the demise of NWN along with the huge majority of the Game community on AOL.  Steve Case basically flat out lied to all of us when he promised that games were "on the radar" in his community meeting, and later yanked most of the games along with a huge portion of online content.  There was a big stink about it at the time, but it has since been buried in history.

I also played Shadow of Yserbius/Fates of Twinion over on the Sierra Network.  Didn't spend nearly as much time there as in NWN or later in UO.

Drev

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• xacebopxacebop Member UncommonPosts: 93

i like this game but im sure theres a world outside of stormreach.... right?

it is heavily groupable but that brings more of an aspect to the game itself i like the option to solo too and you have that option u just get way better exp grouping or duoing.

• CrimthanCrimthan Member Posts: 1

I support the topic.

Unless you can prove me wrong about this, here is why:

In every AD&D game, they were there aplenty. From when I played paper and pencil back starting 1990, on up to Neverwinter Nights. "They" meaning The weapon that inspired one of my favorite characters.

I Just downloaded the stress test beta client for 5 hours. I just installed the game. I was happily creating Crimthan, with look, barbarian class, and everything. It was going smooth. And then I saw the weapon skills that I had to choose from. NOWHERE in there was a SPEAR OR POLEARM. I was absolutely shocked. In every AD&D game I've ever played, they were there in abundance - hell even twin bladed spears/swords were in NWN. BUT NOPE! Not in DDO.

WTF man ?

They took the easy way out. Even after Turbine announced that "There would be no PVP because it doesn't cater to what AD&D was originally all about - Playing together as a team." They claimed that they didn't want to sacrifice the game rules in order to balance the classes for PVP. AND YET, they WERE willing to omit weapons and weapon types that ARE in the AD&D game rule set. What a bunch of sell outs.  They contradict themselves.  They use the AD&D rules to bolster some of their reasoning, but they suddenly forget it when it suits them.

And of course, with my above paragraph:  No PVP.  You've got to be kidding me.  When I was 15 years old in the early 90's my friends and I had plenty of PVP in paper and pencil AD&D. 

To me, what makes or breaks an MMO is options, creativity, and originality.  There's no option for PVP, no choice on a separate server.  3 or More weapon types are removed from the game play so that the game can be spit out faster.  Forget it.

• ghostinfinitghostinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 552

I too (like many of you) were part of that secret underground society who played D&D in friends' basements.  You remember how much you loved the game but were afraid to tell anyone you played until years later.   Back in those days they'd view you as some cross between a satan worshiper and a nerd if anyone caught wind of it.  I go back as far as playing D&D before they were in hardback books.

At any rate, as much as I had hoped this game would have been a great game to dive into, I think I'm going to steer clear of DDO.  I think when I play a MMORPG I'm greedy and I want the whole package in a game.  If I log on and feel like exploring by myself, or sitting and crafting or go farming drops, I'd go do it.  If If I feel like grouping and doing some heavy grinding/farming/skilling I'll do it.  I know D&D is about doing thing as a group ie: teamwork.  I want the option to go off on my own. 

You guys know what it's like, you get personal with your toon, he becomes our online personas in many cases.  (in some sick way)  Can you effectively do that standing around in a town waiting to get in a group or build one?  If that's anything like standing around in Jeuno (FFXI) for hours on end and waiting for the right jobs to log on, THAT'S a whole lot of fun. /sarcasm

Oh well, I'm sure it's going to be a well made game technically for the most part, it will just be missing the elements that will gain my attention.

• daines1daines1 Member Posts: 4

Having enough dungeons is impossible. Seriously think about it.

If you've played WoW, you know how many instanced zones there are there. But it isn't enough. People will tear through content like wildfire because they can. Also take into consideration that @ 10% of players have nothing else to do but play all day. Don't you think they'll be bored with the game within 3 months?

Such is the life of an MMO I suppose.

Daines

• BobbyShaftoeBobbyShaftoe Member Posts: 12

I agree at least in spirit if not in content

The combat system is wretched, the graphics are unimpressive, the content is dry and repetative, you are FORCED to group (the LFG system is nice), and half the classes are pointless.

I give it a 2 out of 10

My computer's on button doesn't work