Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The most likely future of SOE, LA, SWG and SWG2:

What SOE and LA will do: Simply, it will be business as usual. I’m going to predict that neither LA nor SOE has learned their lesson. I believe they have truly convinced themselves that the NGE is going to be a success and all they have to do is watch and wait for it to come (in their view).

(2) There will never be a rollback or pre NGE coded server. This also means that SOE will not be selling pre-cu code to anyone outside of the company. Another version of the game is just going to confuse new players, split the community, and compete with what they view as, the superior NGE. The mere existence of a pre NGE server is in itself an admission of the NGE’s failure. There will never-ever be a pre NGE server unless it’s underground, I’ll bet my life on it.

(3) Server merges are only a matter of time. There is such an excessive amount of servers supporting such a small player base that it doesn’t make any kind of sense to keep them all (its overkill). A post on this board quoted an ‘insider’ source as saying the subs are roughly 40k people. For the record, I feel 40,000 is probably close to the actual # of current players. All polls taken have revealed a 75%-80% loss of people, assuming there were 200,000 players pre NGE, minus 75% gives around 50k subs. Personally, I have noticed roughly 80% less players on my server (Bria) so again, I feel this is accurate.

Lets do the math on this:

For arguments sake, lets say 45,000 subscribers, spread across 25 servers (not counting test center, which would make it 26).
# of players / # of servers = appox. # of players per server
45,000 / 25 = 1,800

So, if we divide the players evenly over all the servers we come to 1,800 players per server. Of course, we all know that the player base isn’t spread evenly; some servers have greater than 1,800 while others only a fraction of that, but this gives us a starting point.

Also, if you take this 1,800 number and compare it to the astromech stat’s for the cube, it makes sense. The cube numbers are reflective of server populations. For instance, Scylla is often thought of as the least populated server, and this is supported as having the lowest number of cubes found across all servers (only 255 found compared to Bria’s 720).

I’m willing to say that 80% of the players who bought the expansion, have done the quest, with 20% of those who have not done it. Then account for those who never bought the expansion and you have a more accurate idea of how many (active) players are on any given server (albeit with each pointing to the 1,800 area).

Does anyone know what the maximum amount of players a server will accept? I can’t remember if the limit is 16,000 or 6,000. I honestly don’t know, but either way – you can see just how lopsided it really is, only a fraction of available server resources are being used (in another words server resources are being wasted, thus, SOE’s money is being wasted).

(continued in next post)

Comments

• dolaniousdolanious Member Posts: 186

I bet SOE waits a couple months to see how many subs they have gained from the holiday season and ad campaign… then they consolidate servers. I will guess no later than this summer but probably sooner.

(4) The game won’t be shut down, not for another 2 or 3 years. SOE will ride it out as long as it can. They will sustain the game by just cutting costs (i.e. development team). To the point where the entire project is on auto-pilot with only a skeleton crew to press buttons. Why so long you ask, see point 5.

(5) I had an epiphany yesterday. The demo for Star Wars: Empire At War was released, I played it last night. To sum my impressions up, it’s mind-numbingly simple to play, and not challenging (as far as RTS go).

As I finish and prepare to quit the demo the usual propaganda exit screen pops up… you know what I’m referring too, the one last attempt to sell the game to you… in it, it shows 6 blurbs stating what the full game has to offer, one particular bullet point stuck out for me, I quote, “Command over 16 iconic star wars characters including Darth Vader!”.

Now stop reading. Pause for just a moment to absorb that quote; sound familiar?

The language is strikingly on target to what SOE has been telling us for weeks now. This language, as I have just shown, is now seen in other LA projects by other developers, both with similar outcomes (generic gameplay). I believe “Star warsy” and “iconic” is the new prime directive at LA that now influences all current and future projects.

All current and future star wars games are to now be designed around being “star warsy” and “iconic” over substance and quality of game play. Unfortunately, this strategy is terrible because it leads to mediocrity and makes generic the new order of the day. This is all fine and okay by LA because their marketers tell them their target demographic isn’t savvy or mature enough to know the difference.

Finally, I believe LA wants (and possibility has contracted out already) SOE to develop SWG2. I’m willing to bet SWG2 is in the pre-planning stages with a target date of around late 2008/early-mid 2009. Both LA and SOE will keep SWG running at least until SWG2 is announced.

The only thing that will lead me believe otherwise is if LA doesn’t re-up SOE’s license for SWG in Feb. If SOE gets re-upped it’s pretty much guaranteed that SWG2 will be SOE’s project. However, if the license is yanked anything’s possible (which I hope to be the case, but am expecting otherwise).

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

All I can say is I hope that if there ever is another StarWars mmo that it wont be called "starwars galaxies", call it something else.

"SWG" is a dirty word..let it pass.

How 'bout just "Star Wars Online" or something.

• KiomKiom Member Posts: 7
    Someone should hurry up and shoot it just to put the poor thing out of misery.
  • zoey121zoey121 Member Posts: 926

I still see singal player games come out for years just based on swg, art, & quest content

Re packaged for console games and the same designs one sees in swg will be transported to singal player games> The games will sell and they will still make a profit reguardless of if swg tanks or not

Is everyone in agreement with my thesis?

Does anyone hold a contrarian view to mine??

I'd like to hear some discussion.

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

The only thing is you're basing your theroies on numbers we have no way of proving. They are just absolute guesses. I mean I've had the expansion since it came out, and have never heard of the cube. The 5 people online in my guild never heard of it either, so I'm not sure what type of accurate numbers we can pull from that.

My personal feeling is that I don't believe SOE wants anything to do with LucasArts after this venture. I don't believe SOE will do SWG2 when it is released.

Originally posted by Jodokai
    The only thing is you're basing your theroies on numbers we have no way of proving. They are just absolute guesses. I mean I've had the expansion since it came out, and have never heard of the cube. The 5 people online in my guild never heard of it either, so I'm not sure what type of accurate numbers we can pull from that.
    My personal feeling is that I don't believe SOE wants anything to do with LucasArts after this venture. I don't believe SOE will do SWG2 when it is released.

But *why* do you feel this way, what are you basing this feeling on? There is absolutely nothing that leads me to believe there is any kind of bad blood between SOE and LA. Nothing!

Considering the NGE has been out for about 2 months now and the number of insider sources that have released info thus far, if there was any kind of bad blood between the two I’m sure word would have gotten out by now; but there hasn't, because there isn't.

SWG2, is as good as SOE’s.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Whether they have learned their lesson yet is definitely still waiting to be seen. But if you don't think they have changed their tune at all you just aren't paying attention. Maybe it's too little to late in many peoples eyes, but they have been on the forums, asking players opinions and listening to the fans like never before.

The future is unclear still, and you can either be an optimist or a pessimist. Those are the only two choices. I just want them to be sure to work on the existing game and make it as solid as can be, expnsions be damned.

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Originally posted by dolanious

But *why* do you feel this way, what are you basing this feeling on? There is absolutely nothing that leads me to believe there is any kind of bad blood between SOE and LA. Nothing!
    Considering the NGE has been out for about 2 months now and the number of insider sources that have released info thus far, if there was any kind of bad blood between the two I’m sure word would have gotten out by now; but there hasn't, because there isn't.
    SWG2, is as good as SOE’s.

I don't believe there is "bad blood" exactly. I mean I don't believe the rumors that George Lucas himself went to Texas to yell at SOE, I just think running SWG has been an incredible headache for them. I believe LucasArts would ask them, but SOE would say no.

Some of the reasons: Pre-release SOE devs were saying no Jedi, LucasArts releases an advertisment saying you can play a Jedi. When the game is released it was said you could play a jedi. I think this one instance really proves who's calling the shots. Add to that, no matter who says what, SOE gets all the bad press. If a LucasArts employee releases a statement that isn't accurate, people say SOE lied. If LucasArts releases an advertisment, people blame SOE for false advertising. If I were running SOE and LucasArts came to me with the same deal for SWG2, I'd tell them to get bent.

Elanator has said it before, and I think he's absolutely right: You have two different companies that may have different ideas for the game, and it just isn't working. LucasArts either needs to say: Okay it's your baby now, just see me with Star Wars specific issues, or SOE needs to say: Okay I'm out, you take it. These two "giants" just don't work well together.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by anarchyart
    Whether they have learned their lesson yet is definitely still waiting to be seen. But if you don't think they have changed their tune at all you just aren't paying attention. Maybe it's too little to late in many peoples eyes, but they have been on the forums, asking players opinions and listening to the fans like never before.
    The future is unclear still, and you can either be an optimist or a pessimist. Those are the only two choices. I just want them to be sure to work on the existing game and make it as solid as can be, expnsions be damned.

They HAVEN'T changed their tune. Sure, they are saying openly they want feedback, but they GOT feedback before in every profession forum and from the community before and they ignored it completely.

And if you look at the feedback they are getting now... other than game breaking bugs they MUST address, they are completely ignoring what the people are SAYING.

They are spouting nothing but lip service.. in public AND on their "Galactic Senator" forums. They're just trying to make it LOOK like they care to save their asses.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• duncan_922duncan_922 Member Posts: 1,670

AA, you just need to look at Smedley's "Open Letter to the Community" after the CU and his "Open letter to the Community" after the NGE to see that this is just business as usual.  Until they actuall apply those changes that the community asks, it's more smoke and mirrors.

SOE knows what you like... You don't!
    And don't forget... I am forcing you to read this!

It should be glaringly obvious that they haven’t learned their lesson. If you think communication is any different from pre NGE, prove it: Why don’t you tell me specifically when publish 27 will be out? What are SOE’s plans for improving the core game? What will be in it? Why is there no hotfixes? What is the roadmap for “traders”? How will they be implemented into the game? How far forward is the timeline moving? When is it being moved? Will entertainers ever have a purpose? When?

You see, the truth is you can’t answer any of these questions because the answers don’t exist. Proof that SOE hasn’t been communicating. You seem to think that a bunch of, “hi my name is dev x and I do y” posts qualifies as communication, it doesn’t.

Communication actually involves a two-way flow of information, and right now, there is no interaction with the community. No one is listening to the community; if they were, we would have the answers to such obviously simple questions.

I’m not being a pessimist here, I’m being a *realist*. Frankly, for you to believe what SOE is doing qualifies as communication, then that makes you a blind optimist.

• MinimumMinimum Member UncommonPosts: 236

Communication continues to be ZERO.

You can talk all you want about how they are posting on the boards and asking for feedback and all the other crap that they have pulled in the past.

BUT, are they acting on it?  No?  Didn't think so.

It's all a smokescreen, but they just don't care.

ACTIONS, NOT WORDS.   If they were honestly listening, you'd have PRE CU servers up.   That's the number one thing players have asked for.   But it won't happen. 

Actions, not words, when they start actually doing something, then we'll talk.   And by doing something I'd start with the roll back of the NGE debacle.  Then the firing of Torres and Freeman.   Maybe bring someone in who actually cares about the game and the players.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Minimum
    Communication continues to be ZERO.
    You can talk all you want about how they are posting on the boards and asking for feedback and all the other crap that they have pulled in the past.
    BUT, are they acting on it? No? Didn't think so.
    It's all a smokescreen, but they just don't care.
    ACTIONS, NOT WORDS. If they were honestly listening, you'd have PRE CU servers up. That's the number one thing players have asked for. But it won't happen.
    Actions, not words, when they start actually doing something, then we'll talk. And by doing something I'd start with the roll back of the NGE debacle. Then the firing of Torres and Freeman. Maybe bring someone in who actually cares about the game and the players.

Don't forget smedley.. he gotta go too.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• ThinmanThinman Member Posts: 461

SOE will never learn from its mistakes. You can't teach an old, bloated, blind dog new tricks. All SOE can do is continue to crap out terrible games, and chomp on them for awhile until they're ruined.

Time for another analogy: You can't paint a turd. Especially if you're an old, blind, bloated dog.

Looking forward (cautiously) to: Age of Conan, Dark Solstice, Armada Online.

Will soon try: Guild Wars

Overall: Amazed and bewhildered at the current sad state of the artform of gaming.

• Alexis598Alexis598 Member Posts: 111

I've never played this before nor I will ever do, I may buy it if they got back to the old engine since everyone says it was much better than the current engine.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Alexis598
    I've never played this before nor I will ever do, I may buy it if they got back to the old engine since everyone says it was much better than the current engine.

The major flaw in the sytem atm is they coded a new engine in on top of the old engine . It causes so many bugs , lag and many other problems . One of the main reasons i say pre-cu will never happen is basicly because they didn't know how to run the old code . It wasn't an in house engine they purchased it form a 3rd party therefore ruining any chance of ever having a stable game .

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PortaPorta Member Posts: 33

In my opinion, SoE is physically and structurally incapable of "learning any lessons" as they pertain to addressing what the player base wants. This includes all of their game titles, not just SWG.

The reason I belive this is because the mandate of SoE is clearly driven by goals and objectives that are demanded of them by internal corporate operations and objectives first, and the playerbase second. Smedley's very own press releases have underlined this fact. As a result of their trying to service internal needs, their focus on specific game titles has become diluted, and disorganized.

Combine that problem with servicing the wants and needs of a third-party entity like LucasArts, (whom they cannot proceed with ANY development without permission or buying full access rights), and the result is very much what we're seeing. A very unfocused, misguided product that undermines a current playerbase, and does not necessarily service consumer demand.

The best thing for SOE right now is to break free from Sony corporate, and stay away from third-party development and instead nurture ideas that come from inside their own walls first. I do not doubt that they have a lot of talent in-house, but I don't think that talent has the voice it should have, nor do I believe those voices are being managed properly.

In my opinion, if they want to develop and release successful titles that deliver what consumers want, they need to narrow their focus and pinpoint the most important element of game development... and that is ensuring that they are addressing the wants and needs of the consumer market. I believe they have become far too misguided by trying to service too many divisions of Sony to identify and service consumer wants. They are in the mindset that right now, players want to pay for extra content, music tracks, and the likes (of offerings by Sony Corporate) rather than addressing key game playability issues. First and foremost, consumers want what they feel they are paying for; they do not want to feel forced to pay for anything else unless they get that first. This is a concept SoE fails to grasp, repeatedly.

There is no question that all of their titles are going downhill. I'm sure they're in "panic mode" right now, despite what faces they may wear in public. Unfortunately, because they have are absorbed in self-perspective, and have demonstrated an inability to listen to outsider opinion, I am not sure they are capable of "learning any lessons" other than ones that they convince themselves of.

At the rate they are going, I would not be at all surprised if SoE gets closed down by Sony Corporate within the next 2 years. If a division isn't profitable, corporations just cut their losses. To be profitable you need to have consumers... which is something SoE titles are losing in droves each month, at a staggering rate.

Addicted to MMO's since '98.

No point listing my game titles, classes & levels. Accomplishing anything in an MMO these days is so bloody common that nobody really gives a crap.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

If there is an SWG 2, I would think its going to be done in house, by LucasArts people only.

We have to remember that LucasArts never intended to have SOE develop SWG.  They made the original deal with Verant.  Only because Verant was bought by Sony Pictures, do we even have SOE's involvement in SWG.

Sony and LucasArts are not natural allies.  They are competitors in all areas, especially film, and computer entertainment.  LucasArts has the staff, the resources, and the will to build their own MMOG.  Its just they needed a little bit of experience, and inside information, on how to run it.

They have that now because of their involvement here.

Also, for reasons the previous poster mentioned, I don't think SOE wants much to do with LucasArts.  Everything SOE is doing is for the sake of what is going on in Seattle, which is the one project they cannot afford to screw up.

In Seattle, SOE is bringing together quite possibly the biggest brain trust ever to be assembled for a single MMO.  We know Koster is there.  Which means its only reasonable Vogel is there too.  I wouldn't be suprised if Gordon Walton was there, and any developer who showed any bit of rare talent in EQ2, SWG, or MXO.  Chances are, if your favorite Dev is no longer working at your favorite MMO, he or she is in Seattle, working on "Raph and John's big plan."  Its going to be big, its going to change the way we look at games, and its going to make WoW look like a garage operation.

I have no love for SOE, but personally I'd like to see what they come up with.

We may think SOE is like image, but we have to at least admit that these guys can be smart.  They are taking all the data they learn about their games, and sending it to Seattle.  I'd actually like to get my hands on that data, because its one thing to say "players want good customer service," its another thing to say "we have empirical evidence that these x specific customer service related facets have y effect on player sentiment."  They have what Blizzard doesn't, and that's a bunch of different platforms they can use as "quasi experiments" to learn what works, and what doesn't.  SOE is learning a great deal about players, MMOs, and the connection between the two.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Beatnik59
    If there is an SWG 2, I would think its going to be done in house, by LucasArts people only.
    We have to remember that LucasArts never intended to have SOE develop SWG. They made the original deal with Verant. Only because Verant was bought by Sony Pictures, do we even have SOE's involvement in SWG.
    Sony and LucasArts are not natural allies. They are competitors in all areas, especially film, and computer entertainment. LucasArts has the staff, the resources, and the will to build their own MMOG. Its just they needed a little bit of experience, and inside information, on how to run it.
    They have that now because of their involvement here.
    Also, for reasons the previous poster mentioned, I don't think SOE wants much to do with LucasArts. Everything SOE is doing is for the sake of what is going on in Seattle, which is the one project they cannot afford to screw up.
    In Seattle, SOE is bringing together quite possibly the biggest brain trust ever to be assembled for a single MMO. We know Koster is there. Which means its only reasonable Vogel is there too. I wouldn't be suprised if Gordon Walton was there, and any developer who showed any bit of rare talent in EQ2, SWG, or MXO. Chances are, if your favorite Dev is no longer working at your favorite MMO, he or she is in Seattle, working on "Raph and John's big plan." Its going to be big, its going to change the way we look at games, and its going to make WoW look like a garage operation.
    I have no love for SOE, but personally I'd like to see what they come up with.
    We may think SOE is like image, but we have to at least admit that these guys can be smart. They are taking all the data they learn about their games, and sending it to Seattle. I'd actually like to get my hands on that data, because its one thing to say "players want good customer service," its another thing to say "we have empirical evidence that these x specific customer service related facets have y effect on player sentiment." They have what Blizzard doesn't, and that's a bunch of different platforms they can use as "quasi experiments" to learn what works, and what doesn't. SOE is learning a great deal about players, MMOs, and the connection between the two.

QFE
    Great post

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Keep in mind how we got here in the first place.  LucasArts didn't want to give the SOE team enough time to finish SWG.  Its because of the hype, pressure from fans, pressure from LucasArts, and the impending "Attack of the Clones."  If you think about it, the real problem with MMOs today is that the designers don't ever have enough time to finish them, before the investors, fans, and finance people start selling preorders.

If I were a dev, I'd be damn pissed if I called the pres to give a status report on the project, and I heard, "congratulations, it already went gold.  We need to launch it next week."  The problem is that these games get hyped up before they are even in any state to be released.  They never get finished, and are never adequately tested.

This creates all the common gripes.  Gripes like bugs, lack of balance, lack of content, lack of detail, and so on, which then burdens the live team with all sorts of baggage that is beyond the ability to correct adequately.

That is why we haven't heard about much from John, Raph, and others as to what they are up to.  Raph and John do know one lesson from past experiences though.  That is, they need to have the freedom to set their own timetable, and not let folks like us start to hype it up or beat the thing down.

This thing is going to be completed before anyone even gets a look at it.  It is going to reinvent the standards on which we judge quality.  It will, because SOE cannot afford to have this thing fail.  Not only that, but SOE is probably the first MMO company that is able to do this sort of intensive design in house, and have it funded and tested from other projects in their stable of games.

In a sense, this will be the first big MMO from SOE that has no ties to the old Verdant days, and will be the first MMO from SOE to be totally conceived, developed, produced, tested, and implemented by them, from whole cloth.

Smedley is looking at these new revenue systems.  Koster is looking at cultural differences in user interface preferences.  They are going to settle for nothing less than the best MMO to ever be produced.  With this much at stake, no wonder jamokes like us don't know too much about what is going on behind the scenes.

But come on folks.  You think that Smed and Raph sit in their offices and say to themselves, "what sort of things can we do to piss off the folks in SWG today?"  I don't think so.  But if you consider that the best people aren't even at these games like EQ2, Planetside, and SWG anymore, and they are seen as more or less revenue generators, talent farms, and quasi-experiments to fund the "Seattle Plan," then it all makes a bit more sense, though still a bit Machiavellian.

I'm not saying SOE is a saint.  In fact, they are more like Stalin who is willing to crack a few eggs to make an omelette.

But man oh man...if the omelette that they are cooking in Seattle is all its cracked up to be, we are going to love the taste.image

--Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

In Seattle, SOE is bringing together quite possibly the biggest brain trust ever to be assembled for a single MMO. We know Koster is there. Which means its only reasonable Vogel is there too. I wouldn't be suprised if Gordon Walton was there, and any developer who showed any bit of rare talent in EQ2, SWG, or MXO. Chances are, if your favorite Dev is no longer working at your favorite MMO, he or she is in Seattle, working on "Raph and John's big plan." Its going to be big, its going to change the way we look at games, and its going to make WoW look like a garage operation.

Sounds a bit like an assemblage of retards, all sitting around trying to figure out why they aren't like normal people. As much as they may try to come up with something, they won't be able to... because they're still retarded.

Overall: Amazed and bewhildered at the current sad state of the artform of gaming.

I'm not saying SOE is a saint. In fact, they are more like Stalin who is willing to crack a few eggs to make an omelette.
    But man oh man...if the omelette that they are cooking in Seattle is all its cracked up to be, we are going to love the taste.image

Fool me once...

You get the idea.

folks like us

Why do you let these people make you think like this? They're bastardized versions of game developers. Why would you want to pay to be a victim of their bullshit?

Originally posted by Thinman

Sounds a bit like an assemblage of retards, all sitting around trying to figure out why they aren't like normal people. As much as they may try to come up with something, they won't be able to... because they're still retarded.

No they have the "retards" like Jeff Freeman anywhere but Seattle.  They have "second stringers" like the current SWG team in Austin, because anyone good is getting sent to work on "Smed's big plan."

I think SOE knew all along that it was only a matter of time before LucasArts was going to end it anyway.  Think about it.  What the heck is a software and computer arts powerhouse like LucasArts doing with SOE anyways, unless they were taking notes and developing their own MMO?

So why have their studs like Koster and Walton go down with the sinking ship, especially when they are needed in Seattle to pwn Blizzard's butt.

--Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

--Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE