Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pretending to be a mmo?

.:N.:N Member Posts: 5

I played this for 2 months and decided to leave because for a mmo, i found it very lonely apart from the general chat you woudnt talk to anyone.

Players dont really seem to care for one another either, im no carebare or anything but as a newbie!@! i was tricked and killed after i just brought my first ship, after that i had quite a few other people try similare things. Nice way to get people to stay in your game. Or after spending about 10min trying to kill a building to get a OPE and having it almost half down in my starter ship someone come along takes it and then flames me for having a go at them!

It is very in depth game, and the senery is very nice though.

It's very much a press 5 buttons and go make a sandwhich kinda game. But for those of you that just like to mindlessly click to skill up and earn cash this is for you.

Comments

• PnHobbitPnHobbit Member CommonPosts: 195

Originally posted by .:N
  • AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by PnHobbit
    For those of you who are uneducated and rude feel free to post uninformed and unconstructive opinions that are only intended to troll the forums. Oh wait...cookie for you, you beat everyone else to it.

You mean as unconstructive as yours?

@N

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

lmao ..hobbit what you just posted is exactly what you are .Like myself there is probably alot of people out there looking for constructive and TRUTHFUL comments about the game,so we can decide weather or not we want to give it a try.

I am often looking for the player's comments so i can get some sort of idea on the game.A totally thumbs up comment sounds biased to me ,and can't be trusted.I like to hear from people that offer the good and the bad of a game ,that way i have a better time accepting there comments as truthful rather than biased.Hobbits post offered nothing but a flame/troll thanks for offering no insight on the game whatsoever.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WrayethWrayeth Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by .:N

-Wrayeth
    "Look, pa! I just contributed absolutely nothing to this thread!"

• MMO_MunkMMO_Munk Member Posts: 299

bah i cant even take this guy seriously he has 3 posts..... please, move on noobman.

But seriously give it another shot its alot like real life you got good people and bad people, theres always more bad.

• miamia88miamia88 Member Posts: 6

I played this for 2 months and decided to leave because for a mmo, i found it very lonely apart from the general chat you woudnt talk to anyone.

I really don't know what to say, here. I don't want to sound like I'm flaming, but it seems to me like you may have gone out of your way to avoid player interaction, because player interaction in EVE is everything.

The very first and most important thing you need to do to jump start your EVE experience is join a player corporation. I talk with my corp and alliance mates all the time, and sometimes even BS in local with the people we're killing/being killed by. Moreover, I also fly with them on PvP ops, though I NPC solo (others in my corp and alliance, however, prefer to NPC in groups).

Beyond your corporation, you'll find that just about everything else in EVE is geared towards interaction between players, from competition in the market to ownership of a star system (you can't claim sovereignty without being in an alliance formally recognized by game mechanics), and, of course, PvP.

Players dont really seem to care for one another either, im no carebare or anything but as a newbie!@! i was tricked and killed after i just brought my first ship, after that i had quite a few other people try similare things. Nice way to get people to stay in your game. Or after spending about 10min trying to kill a building to get a OPE and having it almost half down in my starter ship someone come along takes it and then flames me for having a go at them!

Some people are pirates. Others are quite helpful - it all depends on who you meet and work with. Personally, I've shelled out millions of ISK to help newer players or even just corpmates who needed something. At the same time, I've also killed and podded players who've entered our territory without leave, including newer players. This is to prevent spies/hostile alts from moving in and gathering intel, setting up POSes, and ganking our alliance members.

In any case, PvP is an inherent part of the EVE system, and I wouldn't have it any other way - PvP is the lifeblood of EVE for me.

It's very much a press 5 buttons and go make a sandwhich kinda game. But for those of you that just like to mindlessly click to skill up and earn cash this is for you.

Only if that's your play style. If you want to stay in Empire and AFK travel everywhere that's certainly your right, but you can also massively decrease travel time by using instas. As for combat, all you'll get from pressing five buttons and going to make a sandwich is the loss of your ship and, if you're fighting players, a swift podding.

... Sololz

• PnHobbitPnHobbit Member CommonPosts: 195

Originally posted by Azirophos
    For those of you who are uneducated and rude feel free to post uninformed and unconstructive opinions that are only intended to troll the forums. Oh wait...cookie for you, you beat everyone else to it.

@N

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

When I played other traditional MMORPGs, I got tired of pick-up groups that thought every class should be able to tank and I fell asleep several times while fighting mobs because it's so boring just hitting 1,2,3 over and over again. I think I'll stick to EVE.

• fizzle322fizzle322 Member Posts: 723

As a solo game Eve sucks.

If you find a couple of friends that you play with every single day, it is insanely good.

Find a corp and make some friends.

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by Azirophos

@N

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• CennCenn Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by fizzle322

As a solo game Eve sucks.If you find a couple of friends that you play with every single day, it is insanely good.Find a corp and make some friends.

Perfectly said.
    Even though i dont play every day. just a few days a week and its all good :)

I dredged up a screenshot of part of a 50-player fleet traveling to its target as part of a fleet action.  What you see here is mostly just the core of battleships and some of the cruisers.  The rest of the cruisers and frigates aren't on screen

Anyway, I hope this helps put to rest any claims of lack of player interaction.

http://www.battleclinic.com/images/battlepix/da29b732ae692afeaca31918f0f3a01c.JPG

P.S. I may post more when I have time.

-Wrayeth

• RobotixRobotix Member Posts: 37

hey wrayeth... did you all make sandwiches while traveling to target ? :P

i start to believe this game is totally boring for combat type players as long you dont PvP and join a 0.0 corp.... everyone says the same. Join a pvp corp to have fun.. *sigh.. So give up our little newb corp to have fun is my only option it seems. Lets see if i do that or just quit... not like there arent any other good games. Eve is just one of the better MMORPGs but thats it...

Nope, no sandwhiches - we were on insta, so despite being 40 jumps it didn't take all that long.  There was one jump in the entire route that the gang leader didn't have an insta for, and that, ironically, was the one where that screenshot was taken.

-Wrayeth

• eowetheoweth Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by Robotix
    hey wrayeth... did you all make sandwiches while traveling to target ? :P
    i start to believe this game is totally boring for combat type players as long you dont PvP and join a 0.0 corp.... everyone says the same. Join a pvp corp to have fun.. *sigh.. So give up our little newb corp to have fun is my only option it seems. Lets see if i do that or just quit... not like there arent any other good games. Eve is just one of the better MMORPGs but thats it...

Nope, it's just you saying that. Seems obvious EVE isn't for you, since you're not willing to try anything more than complaining about EVE.

EVE very much is a game that you have to "get". If you do not "get it" than you'll think it sucks, which isn't a bad thing, EVE isn't for everyone. But complaining about it isn't gonna make the game any better for you.

• KienKien Member Posts: 520

Geez... I don't believe the OP was being a troll at all, although it's true the last comment was offensive to Eve lovers. I actually found the meat of his post quite on the mark, and I wish I had read it prior to joining Eve.

Originally posted by Kien

Geez... I don't believe the OP was being a troll at all, although it's true the last comment was offensive to Eve lovers. I actually found the meat of his post quite on the mark, and I wish I had read it prior to joining Eve.

If travel time is the problem, then I might suggest reading my post about how to create instajump bookmarks in the "What to do..." thread.

If, on the other hand, your difficulty lies in having little player interaction, it's all about getting into a corp and developing a network of friends, acquantances, and associates via your corpmates and those corps that are friendly to your organization.

Trust me, I had difficulty myself until I got into a corp.  I spent the first week or so solo, and wasn't sure if I was going to continue the game due to lack of player interaction and not knowing what goals to set and what I could do in the game.  Joining a corp gave me instant interaction with other players, and those players helped me understand the game and what I could choose to do in it.

That's really the kicker: choice.  There are so many options, and EVE doesn't hold your hand and tell you which ones to follow (aside from a few initial agent missions), so you have to figure it out for yourself.  This can be diffult for those who don't have older, more experienced players to let them know what's available.

-Wrayeth

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Since for some reason I have a image on my shoulder tonight...

What the EVE fanboys say about joining a corp to have more fun can be said about nearly any mmorpg out there right now.  The problem is that unlike many other mmorpgs out there, EVE is not much fun without a corp.  This is something that EVE fanboys cannot grasp.  It is similar to the old EQ "casual player" vs the "uber guild powergamer" arguement, and also the reason that all that remains, primarily, in EQ is their loyal guild playerbase.  EVE can be a very fun game, however if your corp is not active in their own activities, EVE ends up being the same as any other mmorpg.  Note that you can replace EVE in the previous sentence with just about any other mmo out there and it would be true.  Here is the catch though, EVE fanboys have set the bar extremely high for the "fun factor," that in reality their "join a corp" advice bites them in the rear.  People do join a player corp, typically that sucks, and low and behold EVE is still boring, so people quit.

For you EVE fanboys who talk smack to people who say they "kinda like the game" but are quitting, I submit to you:  Put up or shut up.  In that I mean, meet these newb players, get them in your "great" corp, and help them like the game like you do.

Originally posted by daeandor

Since for some reason I have a image on my shoulder tonight...
    What the EVE fanboys say about joining a corp to have more fun can be said about nearly any mmorpg out there right now.  The problem is that unlike many other mmorpgs out there, EVE is not much fun without a corp.  This is something that EVE fanboys cannot grasp.  It is similar to the old EQ "casual player" vs the "uber guild powergamer" arguement, and also the reason that all that remains, primarily, in EQ is their loyal guild playerbase.  EVE can be a very fun game, however if your corp is not active in their own activities, EVE ends up being the same as any other mmorpg.  Note that you can replace EVE in the previous sentence with just about any other mmo out there and it would be true.  Here is the catch though, EVE fanboys have set the bar extremely high for the "fun factor," that in reality their "join a corp" advice bites them in the rear.  People do join a player corp, typically that sucks, and low and behold EVE is still boring, so people quit.
    For you EVE fanboys who talk smack to people who say they "kinda like the game" but are quitting, I submit to you:  Put up or shut up.  In that I mean, meet these newb players, get them in your "great" corp, and help them like the game like you do.

Once you know more about the game, it's quite possible to go solo and have fun, so your arguments don't hold water.  You just need to get into a corp right off the bat to help get you to stand on your own two feet.  Once you can do that the sky's the limit..

As for your "put up or shut up" comment, that is also unfounded.  A lot of older players help the newbs out - I've personally donated tens of millions of ISK to newer players.  Moreover, my corp has been active in helping out newbies - there's a corp of ex-SWG players that we've helped get into low sec.  Hell, we've even brought some of their members on PvP ops with us.  On one notable occasion, a few of their members were tacklers for a 40-ship fleet we took to fight BoB.

-Wrayeth

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Originally posted by Wrayeth

Once you know more about the game, it's quite possible to go solo and have fun, so your arguments don't hold water.  You just need to get into a corp right off the bat to help get you to stand on your own two feet.  Once you can do that the sky's the limit..
    As for your "put up or shut up" comment, that is also unfounded.  A lot of older players help the newbs out - I've personally donated tens of millions of ISK to newer players.  Moreover, my corp has been active in helping out newbies - there's a corp of ex-SWG players that we've helped get into low sec.  Hell, we've even brought some of their members on PvP ops with us.  On one notable occasion, a few of their members were tacklers for a 40-ship fleet we took to fight BoB.

Um, sorry Wrayeth but you are not reading me correctly.  How is a newb in EVE supposed to suddenly "know more about the game" in order to go solo?  And second, why would you go solo in EVE?  One of the biggest complaints I see from people here is that going solo is boring in EVE.  Then, nearly every time, the response in here is to go join a corp.  So what are you saying Wrayeth?  Seriously, I don't understand why you directly contradicted nearly every other person's advice I have seen here, or the official boards for that matter.

My "put up, or shut up" comment was meant directly for those that come and tell people on these boards to go join a corp without offering their own corp as an option.  Honestly, I have seen first hand that corps do help unincorporated newbs in-game, so that is not the issue to me.  I don't doubt anyone's claim to have helped individual newbs ingame.  In fact, there are a select few posters on these boards that actually do "put up or shut up."

Um, sorry Wrayeth but you are not reading me correctly.  How is a newb in EVE supposed to suddenly "know more about the game" in order to go solo?  And second, why would you go solo in EVE?  One of the biggest complaints I see from people here is that going solo is boring in EVE.  Then, nearly every time, the response in here is to go join a corp.  So what are you saying Wrayeth?  Seriously, I don't understand why you directly contradicted nearly every other person's advice I have seen here, or the official boards for that matter.
    I was just saying that solo play is possible in EVE if you truly want to do it.  I was saying that you will need to get into a corp at first while you learn the ropes and get up and running, but can head out on your own later on.
    That said, for most people solo play isn't all that fun, just possible if it's what you really want to do.  Working with corpmates increases your chances for success in almost every endeavor, and it gives you people to hang with and bullshit with, too.
    My "put up, or shut up" comment was meant directly for those that come and tell people on these boards to go join a corp without offering their own corp as an option.  Honestly, I have seen first hand that corps do help unincorporated newbs in-game, so that is not the issue to me.  I don't doubt anyone's claim to have helped individual newbs ingame.  In fact, there are a select few posters on these boards that actually do "put up or shut up."
    Ah.  My bad.  Misunderstood you, there.
    TBH, though, a lot of 0.0/lowsec corps don't accept new players right off the bat in most instances, including mine.  We'll help noobs out, but aside from people we already know from other games or real life, we don't accept newbies.
    The reason for this is simple: spy alts can be detrimental to your health, not to mention sabotaging your corp hangar and corp wallet if enough trust is placed in them.  We want to get to know people before accepting them into the corp, and we also want to make sure they have enough skillpoints to survive and thrive out in lowsec or 0.0.
    In any case, I can recommend one excellent corporation for new players to join when they start EVE, one that's specifically designed to introduce new players to the game: EVE University.

-Wrayeth

• ValkorisValkoris Member Posts: 25

EVE doesn't care for weak and gullible players too much. The playerbase is better for it. Games like WOW, GW, and FF11 are weaker for it.

If you didn't want to play solo you could have tried joining a corporation of some sort.

• DraigCochDraigCoch Member Posts: 81

Originally posted by Wrayeth

In fact, there are a select few posters on these boards that actually do "put up or shut up."

Hopefully I am one of them ~ our recruitment info is in the corporation forum on this very site. We cannot help everyone, you must be in the UK to join. However if you don't (maybe your in the US for example) we have corps in our alliance that can take you, and we will be happy to point you in their direction.

Speaking for ourselves, we do take new players to the game, with one small condition - you must have 15 days in game. This is for security reasons due to the buddy system. So if your out of trial and in the UK check us out, we will get you in to our Academy. (Yes we have an Academy to help ease you into both the game and the corp way of life)

• DrahcirDrahcir Member Posts: 2

It took me about 2 months to get into the game...it was slow compared to what I use to play. The keyword there is 'use' to play. I am about 8 months in and I cannot get enough. I can understand how the game can be a little fustrating for a noob...I can. But there will always be players better than me, and I will always be better than some players.

The game adds an extreme challenge when you have skilled seasoned vets trying to hunt you down (and it is only a handful in the game that would rather blow you up, then say mine and such ;) , while you try and build an empire for yourself.

I am new to the board and have read many a post about noobs complaining about the game and how this will be the demise of EVE. How long has EVE been out since BETA??? Find a corp ASAP let them help you build your skills and earn ISK...then you can leave them and kill noobs for yourself.

Just my thoughts,

Cheers,

• infinituminfinitum Member Posts: 95

Originally posted by Drahcir

...then you can leave them and kill noobs for yourself.

um... or help noobs instead