Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth Buying?

2»

Comments

• RammurRammur Member Posts: 575
    yeah true but me being a hardcore starwar fanatic id problably enjoy my fairly well lol.

• EnticoEntico Member Posts: 107

... You don't have to "speak Wookiee" aka be a "SW geek" to know Imperials are Xenophobic.

In the first SW movie, when Han and Luke are leading their "prisoner" Chewie around the Imperial stronghold, the Imperials say "Where are you going with this... this... thing?!?"

Meaning they have a distaste for non-humans, they know little about non-humans, they rarely see non-humans that are alive.

BTW, look up xenophobia in the dictionary. It defines how the Imperials feel - a dislike for non-humans aka a dislike for anything not of their own species....

xen·o·phobe
    n.

A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples

xenophobia

n : a fear of foreigners or strangers

from: http://www.dictionary.com <<< next time check it out before you post something stupid xplororor

Imperium did not treat aliens on the same level as humans thats true but that isnt xenophobia. Some aspect of Star Wars can not be easly explained and standarized by our means simply becouse we are talking about sci-fi world here. Xenophobia - very unlikely, I would rather decribe it as some form of racism (maybe we shall find another word for it - alienoism?).

I'm a Star Wars fan and I was in SWG beta. I think this "game" (SWG) is an insult for self respecting SW fan. I didnt buy it. Take my advice, dont buy it.

If you want good SW game, get Star Wars KOTOR. Yes it is single player but damn it's good image, played it 2 times, going for 3rd time now...

==============================
    And besides, like it or not, people do try to "win" massively multiplayer RPGs. The rules of engagement are something like this:
    * If there is a status bar, make it grow bigger
    * If there is a number, make it higher
    * If it moves, either get a mission from it or kill it

• RammurRammur Member Posts: 575
    KOTOR rocks the way it was made is cool it plays just like Neverwinternights i hope they mae a sequal but i will still buy swg i wont knock it till i try it if i dont like it ill just stuff it away.

• Originally posted by leftie

Geez, even your examples are badly biased. Here's the review of the mentioned Ice Cube album on amazon.com...

"Amazon.com
    With benefit of hindsight, we now understand that most rappers are indeed earnest, but few intend their words to be taken with the same weight as a heartfelt proclamation by a guitar-strumming folkie. Ice Cube's third solo release, taken the wrong way, is a hateful tract full of misogyny, anti-Semitism, homophobia, and violently prejudicial remarks toward just about every other ethnic group; anyone missed in this skein was an oversight. However, with the exception of some choice words for NWA's former manager, Cube's remarks are best seen as caricatures--well, OK, grotesques--rather than perspectives. His spoken intros and the way in which the songs broke into episodes broadly hinted at Ice Cube's move into film. Years later, it's easier to ignore the hateful spew and admire the formal innovations featured on this recording, which helped make Ice Cube into a multimedia star. --Martin Johnson"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003B7W/102-4659330-4992123?v=glance

So the reason Ice Cube got no airplay at that time was because the songs on the album were not broadcastable. No station is going to play lyrics that appear prejudiced, period.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to dig through my 200+ CD's and find the exact Ice Cube albume that is my example:

Death Certificate

http://www.icecubemusic.com/icecube_music_dc.html

The link you give is some smookie's review of Ice Cube himself, and of his '3rd solo release'. Definatly not of the albume Death Certificate. Name which of the 21 tracks are 'anti-semetic'?

The albume Death Certificate actually goes off on the stupid things Black Amerians do, without blaming White Americans (The songs 'Us' , 'A Bird in the Hand' for examples)

And how else is my example of this albume biased? It recieved zero radio play. What were the reasons? Who knows. (His being associated with a group who's initials are NWA? Him not holding back what's on his mind on every song on Death Certificate?)

With zero radio play, Death Certificate broke records selling to Black Americans, White Americans, Asian Americans, Indian Americans, Spanish Americans, ALL AMERICANS. Debuting at number 1, and staying in the top 20 for months. Either most Americans are 'anti-semetic' , or most Americans found Death Certificate deeply moving, honest, and most important of all - thought provoking.

Back to my point - Death Certificate was the best selling Albume during its week of release, and one of the best selling albumes for months later - even though it was NOT on any charts, and recieved zero radio play.

Now enough of Ice Cube and back to SWG.

What was the subject? Ah someone posted saying SWG is not even on the MMORPG.com top listing of games. I posted that being on any list is meaningless.

SWG has 300k + accounts reguardless of what lists it is, or is not on.

Ice Cube's albume Death Certificate was number 1 reguardless of what lists it was, or was not on. A incredible but true real world example.

SWG still has some people playing it for one reason. The Star Wars license.

People play SWG for many reasons. This is one of them. In fact, SWG was made FIRST for SW fans in mind. Not gamers. The target audiance was SW fans who have never played a MMORPG before.

Period. The people that are sticking around are doing so praying that some miracle will happen so that they can game in a Star Wars environment. You could send nothing but a dial tone and a test pattern through the servers, and get 200,000 Star Wars Fan-Boys to re-up every month. The ONLY reason SOE continues to generate any sales at all with SWG is because they have a piece of paper from George Lucus that allows them to call this piece of drek Star Wars Drek.

This is all your opinion. You, nor me, or anyone, knows for sure why each one of the 300K players are STILL playing SWG. But they ARE consumers. Consumers will not buy a product they dislike.

By the way, killerTwinkee and xplororor are so blatently biased regarding SWG that it's clear they are demented SW Fan Boys that will have fatal conniption fits if they don't have their intraveneous drip of some Star Wars products OR they have the PCs camped at the holocron spawn points as we speak trying to making cash auctioning holocrons on E-Bay. Either way, they are not sources of good feedback regarding this product.

I always enjoy it when someone resorts to name calling. After name calling, comes making things up. (Like that I sell items from SWG on E-Bay? LOL. BTW it is impossible to sell Holocrons on E-Bay. Unless the buyer is beyond gulible.)

It means they cannot refute any points given. I listed 8 incredibly nice points about SWG. Then challenged any 'SWG sucks' crowd to list which of my 8 points are untrue.

I've actually PLAYED SWG. Which means I know what SWG really is about. How about you post some screenshots? List what server you mostly played on? Your character's name? This way we all can know for sure if you really are speaking from game experience? After all, even in magazine reviews the reviewers post screenshots and this info so readers know for sure they experienced the game they claim to be reviewing.

http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

Servers: Wonderhome , Starsider

Read my SWG game review on this site. I list the nice things about SWG, as well as the bad things about SWG.

• GorrorGorror Member Posts: 28
    I bought SWG and played it on and off for 3 months.  I've advanced a character a couple of characters a fair way, but I just found myself playing it less and less.  The reason, this game get soooo repetitive and boring beyond belief.  So is it worth buying - a very big NO!

• Originally posted by Gorror
    I bought SWG and played it on and off for 3 months.  I've advanced a character a couple of characters a fair way, but I just found myself playing it less and less.  The reason, this game get soooo repetitive and boring beyond belief.  So is it worth buying - a very big NO!

1. How long ago did you last play SWG?

2. SWG is a MMORPG, did you try joining a few PAs? (Player Associations). The game takes on an entire different feel when you play as part of a PA.

3. Every single MMORPG to date has come into its prime 1 yr after release. SWG right now is 6 months old. Check back on it again 6 months from now and see where it's at. image

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    its not worth buying...read the player criticisms under the game info (gamelist link)

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

•  SWG is worth buying.

There is a reason it is the second largest MMORPG with 300,000 accounts.

A very close second behind EverQuest which has 400,000 accounts.

SWG this past month has recieved its first major expansion. It's next expansion which will be even far bigger, is due between July to Dec of this year of 2004. It will be even more worth buying then.

Again, every single MMORPG that has ever been released, has come into it's prime (gone through most of its growing pains) roughly 1 year after release. SWG is now 6 months old. It is worth playing now, and will be even more worth playing in 6 more months. image

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========
    MMORPG games I've played:
    -------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

• EnticoEntico Member Posts: 107

Definetly not worth buying. Game is still in beta and will stay in that state for a long time becouse devs dont seem to know what to do with it now.

And besides, like it or not, people do try to "win" massively multiplayer RPGs. The rules of engagement are something like this:

Originally posted by Entico

devs dont seem to know what to do with it now.

Very good point.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    I think most people will agree that in it's current shape and form SWG is not worht buying because after awhile the game just gets boring. I loved the game for a good 2 months then I started playing it less and less. I used to be hardcore power leveling like mad and making good friends in the game. But when I found my friends and I just standing around in game because we did not want to do the same old same old I decided to quit. The game is to repititive right now has a serious lack of interesting content and quests. SWG looks great has lots of potential the only reason I'm not selling mine is because I wanna see what happens down the road but until then it will stay on my shelf while I enjoy other much better developed single player and multiplayer games. I would reccomend checking back in a year or so but until then stay away from this one people are leaving SWG in droves. The devs even closed down the General Discussion forum because of negative feedback and locked the forums to non subscribers.

• Originally posted by Fenrir767
    I think most people will agree that in it's current shape and form SWG is not worht buying because after awhile the game just gets boring. I loved the game for a good 2 months then I started playing it less and less. I used to be hardcore power leveling like mad and making good friends in the game.

You have just stated why you "found the game boring".

SWG never was intended for the powergamer with no life.

SWG on purpose was programmed for players who DO have a life. IE: School, Family, kids, jobs, wife, husband, etc... and little free time to play a MMORPG. Maybe 1 to 2 hours free time a day. Or 4 hrs free time a week.

But when I found my friends and I just standing around in game because we did not want to do the same old same old I decided to quit. The game is to repititive right now has a serious lack of interesting content and quests.

Such is the life of a powergamer in EVERY sinlge MMORPG. EQ, AO, DAoC, every single one. Heheh. Since SWG was never intended for your playstyle, no surprise here.

SWG looks great has lots of potential the only reason I'm not selling mine is because I wanna see what happens down the road but until then it will stay on my shelf

On this I fully agree. SWG is still only 6 months old. MMORPGs start entering their prime 1 year after release.

while I enjoy other much better developed single player and multiplayer games.

Please name these other "much better developed ..... multiplayer games"? Name any other Sci-Fi MMORPG that is 6 months old that is better than SWG?

I would reccomend checking back in a year or so

This seems like your personal plans. Which is ok with me.

But right now SWG IS worth buying. Why? Because right now SWG is playable. Right now SWG is fun to play.

but until then stay away from this one people are leaving SWG in droves.

SWG has recently ADDED [b]5 new servers[/b]. They did this for a reason. They can't  do this if they are losing money and "people are leaving in droves". The only people leaving, are those who the game was never intended for. Powergamers, L00t D00ds, PKers, whiners, those who like to bash, spam, flame, troll.... without engaging in [b]constructive criticism[/b]. Good ridance. image

The devs even closed down the General Discussion forum because of negative feedback and locked the forums to non subscribers.

You are 100% [i]incorrect[/i]. This statement of yours has been repeated numerous times on this site, as well as other sites. And now I must repeate the facts behind the reasons the SWG forums were closed to non-subscribers.

1. It is BECAUSE they are non-subscribers! LOL. Players subscribing are paying for a service. Which includes getting their greviences, bug reports, complaints, exploit findings, and contructive criticism looked at FIRST. Why should posters not paying get the same service as posters who are paying?

2. To hold all posters more accountable for what they post. This cuts down on the spam, flaming, spam, trolling, spam, etc.... and makes it easier for the moderators, and game DEVs to find the important threads and posts.

3. Last, it was announced looong ahead of time on the old SWG forums that the new forums would be for subscribers only.

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595

Well yes I did powergame the hell out of the game right when I first got it but after that I just wanted to play it and have something interesting to do which I found the game really lacked. I gues it does not appeal to me because I like my rpgs to have interesting storylines and quests that I can immerse myself in and not reach any sort of resolution quickly which I found the missions to be easily beaten and repetitive as heck. I honestly just felt like nothing I did as a combat character really mattered in the overall scheme of things and in the war effort.

Everyone of my friends that was powergaming were not powergaming just for fun we wanted to be strong to enjoy in depth content stories and the GCW. What we found was nothing to do after we had leveled. Then again that is my opinion and that of all of my friends that left SWG another reason why I don't play other than to log in from time to time.

And as to much better developed multi and single player games I never said MMORPG. I've been considering joining WW2 online perfect example of how the GCW should be like with consequences and a world ever changing due to war and well thought out strategies. I've gone back to classic rpgs such as Final Fantasy, KOTOR and online strategy games such as Warcraft. Which I find much more entertaining with specific goals and interesting stories.

My final thoughts on this game in it's current form are if you really want to live Star Wars this game is for you however if you want to take part in a story that is not entirely your own then stay away. If you looking for in depth content quests and good storylines then this is not for you. If you want to play a game online with people then this is the place for you because the community is quite good. However when it comes to delivering a quality story a real GCW where people don't just clone and have to get new armor and weapons due to degrade then this is not the place for you. Other then that the game has lots of potential and I intend to check back in on it and see how it develops but for now with lots of repetitiveness the game can feel more like a Job which it felt like to me rather then experiencing the adventure of the star wars universe. Like IGN said It's you chance to live Star Wars just don't expect anyone to make a movie out of it.

• MakaneMakane Member Posts: 232

I would have to disagree with xplororor here. SWG was made for powergamers, regardless of what the devs have told us.

Proof of this in many parts of the game...

Example 1: The quest system was designed in a way that there is no roleplaying, no plot, and no reward (unless you call a broken instrument or 40 credits a reward). There is nothing worthwhile in the quest system for the average joe. The mission system is definitely geared towards powergamers. Go here, kill this, collect money and XP. Don't bother reading the story for missions, you'll get the exact same thing thousands of times. The credit rewards for missions are not enough for the average gamer. Say player1 has an hour to play, he takes two missions to kill paralopes and he completes the missions. He has made next to nothing in credits, and a little XP for almost an hour of his time. He has accomplished nothing. The powergamers that can stay online longer and do more missions have the edge here.

Example 2: The Jedi system, or achieving Jedi, is impossible for an average player who doesn't want to grind.

Example 3: No average gamer can be a crafter, or at least mine his own materials. When I played a crafter, almost every day went to checking my harvesters. I grew tired of this and tried to buy material from the Bazaar. No luck, stuff was way overpriced. Nothing that I could make would sell, so I ended up having to run missions to support my crafting. Missions began to be my lifeline, as a CRAFTER, for buying material and running my harvesters. I would never have time to craft.

I consider myself an average player. I hate grinding, and I hate powerleveling. I also have many responsibilities that keep me away from playing as much as I would want. I like to experience everything the game has to offer, but at my own pace. For instance, I played four months (almost every day I played 2-3 hours) and didn't master any profession. In SWG, if you are not a powergamer, you will get nowhere.

/deepbow

MAKANE
    (Horizons: Malakye Revan - Conjurer on Bounty)
    Lords of Stonekeep

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

EQ has/had 400,000 ACTIVE accounts.

SWG sold 300,000 COPIES. 

There is a huge difference.  Of the 20 friends I played with, only one still plays.  I would concur with SWG is not worth buying.

Originally posted by Makane SWG was made for powergamers, regardless of what the devs have told us.
    Example 1: The quest system was designed in a way that there is no roleplaying, no plot, and no reward (unless you call a broken instrument or 40 credits a reward). There is nothing worthwhile in the quest system for the average joe. The mission system is definitely geared towards powergamers. Go here, kill this, collect money and XP. Don't bother reading the story for missions, you'll get the exact same thing thousands of times. The credit rewards for missions are not enough for the average gamer. Say player1 has an hour to play, he takes two missions to kill paralopes and he completes the missions. He has made next to nothing in credits, and a little XP for almost an hour of his time. He has accomplished nothing. The powergamers that can stay online longer and do more missions have the edge here.
    Example 2: The Jedi system, or achieving Jedi, is impossible for an average player who doesn't want to grind.
    Example 3: No average gamer can be a crafter, or at least mine his own materials. When I played a crafter, almost every day went to checking my harvesters. I grew tired of this and tried to buy material from the Bazaar. No luck, stuff was way overpriced. Nothing that I could make would sell, so I ended up having to run missions to support my crafting. Missions began to be my lifeline, as a CRAFTER, for buying material and running my harvesters. I would never have time to craft.
    I consider myself an average player. I hate grinding, and I hate powerleveling. I also have many responsibilities that keep me away from playing as much as I would want. I like to experience everything the game has to offer, but at my own pace. For instance, I played four months (almost every day I played 2-3 hours) and didn't master any profession. In SWG, if you are not a powergamer, you will get nowhere.

very true

Playing SWG was impossible if you wanted to accomplish anything in 2 hours a day of gameplay..

• Originally posted by En1Gma

Originally posted by Makane SWG was made for powergamers, regardless of what the devs have told us.

very true

Playing SWG was impossible if you wanted to accomplish anything in 2 hours a day of gameplay..

The original author of this thread was asking is SWG worth buying and playing RIGHT NOW.

Only those who have played SWG right now, (within the past 1 month) can correctly answer.

Now to answer what Makane posted (When was the last time Makane played SWG? On what server? Name of his character? Was he ever in a PA?)

Player Missions/Player Quests:

1. One needs to first stratigically THINK. One obvious example is to get quests/missions that are in the same AREA! In 1 hour it is easily possible to do 3 to 6 to 9 missions! The more skills, better armor, better gun/guns a player gets, the easier it is to do closer to 9 missions in an hour.

In 2 to 3 hours it is very easy to do 3 to 6 missions per hour!

Players are not Forced to Role Play. It is a choice they make. Also... part of Role Playing would be joining a PA that is into what one is into doing. One can't win vs the Empire alone. Or crush the Rebellion alone.

1b. BTW, any current player can tell ya that there are different types of mission terminals. Missions specifically for crafters, etc... and other professions. Yes, SWG has radically changed in the past months.

Player Jedi:

2. Ahhh Jedi. Well, I personally never wanted to become a Jedi. I've always been more intrested in characters like Han Solo, Dash Rendar, Lando, Chewie, Wedge, etc... who survived in a hostile galaxy with the Empire without relying on the Force as a crutch. image

If one really, really, wants to enjoy the fun of a Jedi, I personally recommend games like Jedi Power Battles, Knights of the Old Republic, and the phenominal Jedi Outcast.

SONY is in a stuck and hung position because it has to answer directly to LucasArts on everything Jedi. There's not suppose to be hundreds of Jedi during SWG's time period. Yet, since this is a MMORPG how to keep everyone from finding out how 1 player became a Jedi?

A player playing 2 to 3 hrs a day can indeed become a Jedi. It will just take them far, far longer. Twice as long as someone playing 2hrs a day. Also, they must have some form of combat skills. I estimate a player playing 1, 2 to 3 hrs a day would take at minimum 4 months to become a Jedi if things work out for them. They should master hand to hand combat (takes longer than Ranged combat) since in the long run Hand to hand is far cheaper than using guns. Save up for the best possible Armor.

Any left over skill points learn Creature Handler, some Medical, some Ranged - prefrebly enough ranged skills to get Headshot 2.

Best Hand to hand combat species IMHO in order from best to last....

Trandoshan, Zabrak, Wookiee. [The 3 best. Trando is absolutly incredible in any type of combat!]

Twi'Lek, Rodian, Bothan. [Avarage.]

Human, Mon Calamari [Not the best. In fact, the 2 worse at any form of combat. But not impossible.]

Jedi in SW lore is a looong road. Jedi in SWG was expected to somehow ential some form of time. I wouldn't call the current system grinding - because the Holocrons don't have players doing the same thing over and over 10.000 times. Jedi in SWG is a heck of a looong road. It means learning the ins and outs of the game, and doing tons of many, many, things after getting a holocron.

It would be much easier if one were in a PA instead of going solo... agian this IS a MMORPG. image

Player Crafting:

3. Back to my point about stratigic planning and thinking. First SWG is a MMORPG. Not a RPG. Player interaction is intended in a MMORPG. A solo crafter will have a harder time than a crafter in a PA.

But if one wants to be a solo crafter it is doable even with 1 hour of play per day.  And VERY doable playing 2 to 3hrs per day. Here's some hints and tips:

- First become a miner. Mine high quality Iron, and/or steel, etc... Sell them at the Bazaar. Approach other player crafters (Weaponsmiths, Armorsmiths, Architects) and ask them what raw materials they need the most. Become their regular supplier - make $$$$ this way starting with no $$$$.

Learn how to mine. It is one of the most fun professions in the game. Works just like a treasure hunt!

- Learn how to read the stats on the different raw metals. Copper, Iron, Steel, etc.... Which stats are the most looked for by buyers. Find a high level crafter and ask them what stats they look for in different raw materials.

- Mine SAMPLES of varioius raw materials until you find one with the stats, or close to the stats, buyers are looking for. Then go all out mining that raw material. The first 3 to 7 days will be hardest because your character has to do the mining with no machines because you are a broke newbie heheh.

Save up 100,000 credits or more. Heck, from mining alone, a newbie can make 1 million credits in 1 month playing 1, 2 to 3 hours a day.

- Either browse the Bazaar for a Wind Energy machine, or make your own. Or find a crafter who can make one if you mine the raw materials for them.

Wind Energy is the easiest to gather and save. It also sells well on the market. Build up a fleet of Wind Energy collecting machines. You will now be making $$$$ from mining, as well as selling Energy, and still saving credits.

- Stock up and save 1 million units of Wind Energy. Then buy mining machines. Let them mine for you. You now no longer have to be a miner. Time to go into being a crafter. Find out what raw materials you need to craft various items until you reach the top  of the Artisian tree. Set your mining machines to mine those specific raw materials.

- After you become a master Artisian, then you have tons of choices to make. What type of crafter do you want to become? Weaponsmith(craft blasters)? Armorer? Melee Weaponsmith? Tailor? Architect? Chef(craft food)? Smuggler (craft drugs)? There's even subgroups in each group! Different types of Blasters, Armor, Cloths, etc... for example.

Check out the market to see what is plentyfull and what is in heavy demand. SWG has the most incredibly dynamic player economy. 1 week armor might be in heavy demand. Next week it could be blasters. IMHO the best and easiest money makers are high quality Armorers, Weaponsmiths, and maybe Melee Weaponsmiths. They're almost always in demand.

- Later on you will be able to craft your OWN crafting machines. Then you are near the big time. You will be using up your stocked up supplies of Raw materials and energy you saved from your days of being a miner.

- IF you want to continue being a crafter months later, then you will have to set up mining machines while your crafting machines craft. Or you can set up a network of player suppliers. Hang out near the spaceports in newbie starting cities and offer newbies a job finding specific raw materials you need. image

Crafting in SWG is not hard. It is not a horrible grind like in EQ, and every other MMORPG. It takes a bit of time and patience starting out. But it is possible and easy to get into even if one has 1hr a day to play. How do I know? I've actually did it on another server just to test it out. My main character is on Sunrunner. My crafter character is on Wanderhome. (Actually both are my mains, I play whichever one depending on my mood.)

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------