Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battlestar Galactica(2003)

madjakemadjake Member UncommonPosts: 233

I just finished watching the new Battlestar Galactica miniseries aired on Sci Fi and WOW, it was one superb miniserie and I really hope it turns into an actual tv series. Did anybody else watch it? What do you think?

Now, typically when I watch a remake or a book-to-movie show I try and tell myself to look at it as its own entity and remove many of the bounds attributed because frankly, you know they are going to changed stuff and screwed it up :-) So I did that and you know what? I feel that even though its so much different than the original tv series it hit home and probably put forth what the original series intended to with much more force and emotion. Much more epic.

They changed quite a bit around in this miniseries but I still enjoyed it thoroughly. It has a darker theme throughout and it creates a seriously cool scifi story that might just be close to home....

Anyways, enough ranting.. just had to share my thoughts on how COOL I thought it was.

I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring
- Richard P. Feynman, 1988

Comments

• DesperadoDesperado Member Posts: 467
    I didn't catch the mini series but I was an avid fan of the ol' series and I'm interested in how the this one went.  By the description in your post, sounds like they did it justice.  Question, do they have the same characters in this series?  Or did they introduce a whole new crew.  Oh and also, do they still have that lil' robot. (can't remember his name, or the other AI he carried around)

"A good man knows his limits, a Great man knows he has none...."

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

We watched it and thought it was horrid.  Its been a long time since I have had the misfortune of sitting through such a sad, uninspired, slow, and often pointless script.

I enjoyed the original Battlestar series and am pretty easy to please with most movies and mini series, I loved all three of the Matrix movies image but this show desperately needed someone else to write the script and handle the sets.

Its unfortunate this show exists to tarnish the name of the original series.  It would have been really neat to have a new series of the show if they had done well so this is doubly depressing.

• MaimeeMaimee Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Desperado 
    Oh and also, do they still have that lil' robot. (can't remember his name, or the other AI he carried around)

LOL! You're thinking of Buck Rogers! B-D-B-D!

They seem have all the main characters except for Athena, Apollo's sister.

Other changes:

1) The names ( Apollo, Starbuck, etc. ) are now call signs and the chars. have real names. Apollo is now Lee "Apollo" Adama.

2) Starbuck and Boomer are now women.

3) Colonel Tige(sp?) is a white alcoholic dude.

and some of the Cylons are Human looking...image

edited for spelling...

• DesperadoDesperado Member Posts: 467

Originally posted by Maimee

LOL! You're thinking of Buck Rogers! B-D-B-D!

They seem have all the main characters except for Athena, Apolo's sister.

Other changes:

1) The names ( Apollo, Starbuck, etc. ) are now call signs and the chars. have real names.

2) Starbuck and Boomer are now women.

3) Colonel Tige(sp?) is a white alcholic dude.

and some of the Cylons are Human looking...

LOL!!  You're right! 

OMG they made starbuck a woman? (I do remember him), and no more shiney robot enemy guys?  Oh well, thanks for the update....

...geeze...buck rogers.... wth am I thinkin' about. image

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

Yeah thats one of the things that really amazed me.  Who would be ridiculous enough to make a Battlestar Galactica movie and only have one woman, and one scruffy guy as almost the only cylons you see the entire 4 hour mini series.

for about 15 seconds at the very beginning and 15 seconds at the very end of the 4 hours you do see two metal cylons (new look that was ok) that stand in the background behind the blonde woman cylon and thats it.

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

ugh, i thought it was horrible. it seems pretty well-made, but its so... by-the-numbers. badass chick who goes against authority, love interest with down to earth guy who hates his father... and an alien race attacking earth or w/e the planet was called. ive never seen the original battlestar galactica series, and this doesnt really make me want to.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

• GunharpGunharp Member Posts: 2,890

I love battle star galactica, they would show the re-runs of it on some channel when i was like 6 and i loved it....i remember starbuck clearly. Heh, any of you guys read the book? I did in liek 6th grade.

Go starbuck go !!!

______--}====>_____
    |_105th Panzer Brigade_|

! MACS SUCK !

• GnarledGnarled Member Posts: 566
    I'm really digging up an old post here but Space Channel (Canada) is playing this whole thing for our Thanksgiving, man is it ever good for a mini-series. I passed on it the first time around mainly because of the lack of cylons, but its great. From acting to cast to effects to plot to pacing to dialog. . . first class.

"I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest sword. If, on your journey, you should encounter God. . .
    . . . God will be cut."
    - Quentin Tarantino, Kill Bill

EQII
    Requiiem, Templar
    Neriak