Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twilight War shut down

StedfastStedfast Member Posts: 101
With Smiling Gator announcing the shutdown of Twilight War, it becomes even more imperative that Fallen Earth succeeds.  Let us hope that  Icarus is better at finding resources and I am sure they are.

Comments

• RipperjackAURipperjackAU Member Posts: 124
    Now that Twilight War is gone, I am really worried. image

With World of All-your-mmo's-are-belong-to-us Warcraft, pretty much pwnzing the entire market with very little in the way of visible progress with Fallen Earth of late, is this the beginning of the end for alternative MMO games?
  • GrimCreepGrimCreep Member Posts: 121

Bum bum bummm....

No way. WOW's goin down like its been rehearsed.image

Lead with your face and role with the punches.

• strigoiviistrigoivii Member Posts: 173

please dont ever put fallen earth and shutdown in the same sentance again, even with another name of a different game in the middle...my heart sank when I saw those two words ::::05::

/edit: oh wait you didnt...its just how the new posts on the homepage is setup, sorry =)

• StowawayStowaway Member Posts: 165

yeh, just saw the news.

woops.

*Keeps fingers crossed till beta*

• VenerableDVenerableD Member Posts: 41

Well the Source licensing must have cost Smiling Gator an absolute fortune and it was never going to be an easy engine to make work for an MMO. This would have straight away posed a series of unique problems and required far more work than an indie developer would want to commit: Given this they needed serious long-term financial backing in place for Twilight War to even have a hope of success, and they seem not to have had that.

As far as I can see Icarus haven't made that kind of misjudgment.

• Hardware-DCHardware-DC Member Posts: 95

Main thing I believe is this, the theme of Fallen Earth is a cult classic that a decent percentage of the online gamers would love to play.  Fallout had a really decent following and the fans begged for online versions.  Other games out there, not MMO related, but along this theme are successful.  So, a game of this kind can be made, and be sustained by the mob out there craving for a post apocalyptic era setting.  I don't believe these guys are going anywhere, but to BETA!

Plus, Twilight War was a FPS.  Which I think is destroying the MMORPG community.  If I wanted an FPS game, I would be back on my XBox.

http://www.durmanhoth-clan.com DC Main Page
    http://www.durmanhoth-clan.com/apocalypse Sci-Fi / Apoc Theme Forums
    http://www.durmanhoth-clan.com/citadel DnD Style Theme forums (coming soon)

• drycatdrycat Member Posts: 119
    Amen Hardware. image
  • RabiatorRabiator Member Posts: 358

Originally posted by Hardware-DC
    Plus, Twilight War was a FPS. Which I think is destroying the MMORPG community. If I wanted an FPS game, I would be back on my XBox.
    I don't think FPS and MMORPGs are mutually exclusive. I still play Neocron which has a strong FPS element, and I don't see how this would make NC a lesser MMORPG.
    My main beef with Neocron are technical shortcomings rather than the concept. If Reakktor would suddenly shape up and fix all the bugs and inconsistencies in NC, my need for something else would be much smaller.
  • adriradrir Member Posts: 101

Originally posted by RipperjackAU
    With World of All-your-mmo's-are-belong-to-us Warcraft, pretty much pwnzing the entire market with very little in the way of visible progress with Fallen Earth of late, is this the beginning of the end for alternative MMO games?

Unlikely, there is way too much money in the MMO market! Even if a title has a small base of subscribers, it can sustain a profit.

Icarus' policy of secrecy and 'anti-hype' still remains. They are not wasting time, money and effort on keeping their fanbase constantly informed of their progress. I'm not too bothered really though, in fact looking forward to more surprises and results when beta arrives. ::::01::

Originally posted by VenerableD
    Well the Source licensing must have cost Smiling Gator an absolute fortune and it was never going to be an easy engine to make work for an MMO. This would have straight away posed a series of unique problems and required far more work than an indie developer would want to commit: Given this they needed serious long-term financial backing in place for Twilight War to even have a hope of success, and they seem not to have had that.As far as I can see Icarus haven't made that kind of misjudgment.

I agree.

Originally posted by Rabiator
    My main beef with Neocron are technical shortcomings rather than the concept. If Reakktor would suddenly shape up and fix all the bugs and inconsistencies in NC, my need for something else would be much smaller.

Icarus developed their own technologies with this respect, one of the reasons I have faith in them being able to pull-off the "twitch"-based systems.

• fedesignfedesign Member Posts: 11

It's unfortunate that Twilight War went away.  The game looked interesting and I was looking forward to checking it out.

Because we're quiet doesn't mean we're in trouble or anything like that.  We're just quiet. 

Personally, I think WOW's success is good for he MMO market.  I don't buy and have never bought the idea that the MMO market is x size and any game that is a big success makes it harder for others to compete in that market because the market is only x big.  Back when Everquest was the standard for judging success of other MMO games, we heard the same thing and this didn't deter the development of WOW and they've succeeded even beyond the standard set by Everquest.

Successful MMO games are good for the whole MMO market, I think.  So, don't worry because we're quiet.  Us being quiet only means that we're, well, quiet.

• RabiatorRabiator Member Posts: 358

Originally posted by fedesign
    Because we're quiet doesn't mean we're in trouble or anything like that. We're just quiet. Personally, I think WOW's success is good for he MMO market. I don't buy and have never bought the idea that the MMO market is x size and any game that is a big success makes it harder for others to compete in that market because the market is only x big. Back when Everquest was the standard for judging success of other MMO games, we heard the same thing and this didn't deter the development of WOW and they've succeeded even beyond the standard set by Everquest.

First, it is good to hear you are still on course.

Considering the market, I still expect people to be fed up with the n-th fantasy MMORPG sooner or later. And according to all reviews, WOW has raised the standards to a point where it must be difficult for new fantasy releases.

Which makes doing something new and original even more important. Or at least something that has not be done to death. In the post-apocalyptic and cyberpunk area there seems to be a lot more room for newcomers. So I think it was a good idea for Icarus Studios to do FE instead of more sword&sorcery stuff.

• StedfastStedfast Member Posts: 101

Originally posted by fedesign
    Because we're quiet doesn't mean we're in trouble or anything like that. We're just quiet.

Personally, I think WOW's success is good for he MMO market. I don't buy and have never bought the idea that the MMO market is x size and any game that is a big success makes it harder for others to compete in that market because the market is only x big. Back when Everquest was the standard for judging success of other MMO games, we heard the same thing and this didn't deter the development of WOW and they've succeeded even beyond the standard set by Everquest.

Most outstanding, and thank you for the replyimage