Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have no self control

pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

In the past two months I have played wow I have gained over 40 pounds lol. I quit school and dont have a job.

Im really bad about managing my wow time with my RL time. This has never been a problem before.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to restrict myself better?

What should a person do if they get a call to go to the movies or out to eat, but if your sitting in the middle of a MC raid!!!?? how can a normal person get rank 14?? or get top tier gear... grrr... It frustrates me. all advice appreciated. 

Comments

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Man I really dont kow what to tell ya.. It has been kinda down hill for me as well since I first started playing MMORPG's..I used to go out and party all the damn time, always had a girl or 3 a phone call away, and was in a hell of alot better shape physically...

I have never been the one to be addicted to drugs or anything hell wasnt even addicted to liquior, however MMORPG's seem to be my freaking crack... There are days when I wont even shower and this is comming from someone who used to do it 3 times a day every day.

All I can say is that you have to really see that while there fun and all the bigger picture is your life is more important.

Some things that have helped me a bit have been putting myself on a schedule, downloading a Computer timer program that would tell me when to get off :P.. And watching Music Videos lol, that got my wanting a girl agian which has gotten me back to working out.. A little bit anyways...

I never knew how someone get addicted to something before, I wasnt even this addicted to women... Well close but not this close, its hard tearing myself away from my games :( but its something that I must do and you must do as well.. Good Luck!

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• paravionparavion Member Posts: 422

Originally posted by pingo

In the past two months I have played wow I have gained over 40 pounds lol. I quit school and dont have a job.
    Im really bad about managing my wow time with my RL time. This has never been a problem before.

What should a person do if they get a call to go to the movies or out to eat, but if your sitting in the middle of a MC raid!!!?? how can a normal person get rank 14?? or get top tier gear... grrr... It frustrates me. all advice appreciated. 

You should not do mc or try to attempt to get any epic gear if you want a normal social life. 
  • angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

hahahaha, my advice to you is to give wow a break. when i played eq back in the day i had the same problem until i quit for wow oddly enough.

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

I should stop doing end game stuff. I will just have to get buy with what I can at lvl 60. I guess I wont be more happy even if I got epic gear. maybe its epic because only a few people are supposed to have it.

Its just mates that I wanted to have a chance in pvp. If I dont do mc with my warrior im screwed right.. if i dont play 8-10 hours a day to get a good rank im screwed too.

I will just have to get by. just try to have fun. maybe I should reroll on a RP server and try to get away from the im-gonna-pwn-u-d00dz-in-BGs mentality.

maybe try a horde character...

thanks for the suggestions mates. Sometimes it just help to be told what you already know:)

• RhevinRhevin Member UncommonPosts: 611
    Get laid.

• gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

I had the same problem mate.

Me and my gf were really close, we were planning on having kids and marrying, getting a house in Cali (I had a job for Microsoft so I was making tons of money) and we were planning on buying a Victorian home (very expensive).

Well, one day some guy at work told me to get WOW. I was like, sure why not. It'll give me something to do when I'm not having sex with my beautiful girlfriend or working my job that gets me tons of cash.

2 months later I had no job and I was injecting coffee in my veins so I could stay up later to play more WOW. My wife was crying and I asked whats wrong. She was like "It's either me or that game. If it's that game, I'm going to leave you."

Anyways I got a MC run with my guild I'll have to finish the story later.

<(^o^;)>

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there
  • IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

In the past two months I have played wow I have gained over 40 pounds lol. I quit school and dont have a job.

If your mind is weak enough to allow this to happen, you need to quit playing. I'm not trying to be offensive, just honest.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• donaldduckdonaldduck Member UncommonPosts: 158

Understand that nothing you do to that little character on screen improves your life in any way whatsoever.

All a MMORPG like Wow is doing is sucking your life away and giving you NOTHING in return, absolute ZERO, not a single postive thing and after all those wasted hours you'll NEVER have anything to show for it.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Originally posted by donaldduck
    Understand that nothing you do to that little character on screen improves your life in any way whatsoever.
    All a MMORPG like Wow is doing is sucking your life away and giving you NOTHING in return, absolute ZERO, not a single postive thing and after all those wasted hours you'll NEVER have anything to show for it.

It's called entertainment value. ^_^

For folks like the OP, they don't need to be playing games with that lack of self control. However, to most sane people with an ability to set priorities, mmos can be quite rewarding.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• croyalcroyal Member Posts: 136
    dont people with that lack of self control belong in a mental hospital.......image

im not over powered! look it took me 10 minutes to kill that guy

• Dru998Dru998 Member CommonPosts: 85

Originally posted by gargantroo

I had the same problem mate.
    Me and my gf were really close, we were planning on having kids and marrying, getting a house in Cali (I had a job for Microsoft so I was making tons of money) and we were planning on buying a Victorian home (very expensive).
    Well, one day some guy at work told me to get WOW. I was like, sure why not. It'll give me something to do when I'm not having sex with my beautiful girlfriend or working my job that gets me tons of cash.
    2 months later I had no job and I was injecting coffee in my veins so I could stay up later to play more WOW. My wife was crying and I asked whats wrong. She was like "It's either me or that game. If it's that game, I'm going to leave you."
    Anyways I got a MC run with my guild I'll have to finish the story later.
    <(^o^;)>

WoW.  I have always felt a real life is better than life infront of a computer.  I think it may be time you take a break from gamesimage.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
    Science has never proven that what we see in front of us is in fact real.

• ThriftThrift Member Posts: 1,783
    Give your account away to someone who wont give it back and break your WoW CD's.

GG?
  • tirallumtirallum Member UncommonPosts: 205

RL >> game.

• BigTBigT Member UncommonPosts: 51
     I was some what like you, with playing these damn games online, first was Ultima Online, played for 3 years. Then came World of Warcrack, played beta, then bought it when it went live, played for 8-10 hours a day for 10 months, if your letting a game take over your life, you need to make a drastic change. I had to smash all my game disks, and delete the damn game off my hard drive, and dont regret it one bit. image
  • paravionparavion Member Posts: 422
    I think I need to do the same thing...
  • krenalorkrenalor Member Posts: 214

Originally posted by donaldduck

All a MMORPG like Wow is doing is sucking your life away and giving you NOTHING in return, absolute ZERO, not a single postive thing and after all those wasted hours you'll NEVER have anything to show for it.

That isn't entirely true, I made a mint selling EQ items in the day on playerauctions......to foolish people addicted to MMORPGs. I started after SOE changed EQ to a raiding game that I and most others despised! Yep I piss off the Vanguard people, those same idiots ruined EQ for me and a zillion others. They are the small number, ignore them or pay in subscriptions......I DEMAND A GROUP GEAR ONLY GAME!! The best gear will NOT be raids, thats all there is to it!
  • HarelinHarelin Member UncommonPosts: 409

Best solution is to quit cold turkey, imo. I started playing WoW two hours before it came out in my time zone (had a guild mate buy it for me on the other side of the country and give me the key), and found myself addicted during the first weeks of retail. I made it to level 42, and then drew upon my previous MMO experience and knew that I had to quit before I'd invested too much into it. Stopped playing right then and haven't looked back since. I'm glad I did when I read about WoW's endgame nowadays.

I usually go through short bursts and am able to quickly identify and do something about it when I start spending too much time in an MMO. It's never gotten what I'd consider out of control for me, but I've always seen the potential and understood how others can reach that point. It's the nature of the beast, and these games are designed to be addictive.

I keep myself entertained by beta testing (a very healthy alternative for people prone to getting addicted to MMO's, considering beta tests are temporary) and experimenting with games here and there while I wait for my next long-term casual MMO to come out (hopefully Age of Conan or Hero's Journey).

Replace time that you'd rather be spending in an MMO with something more productive... don't let yourself sit around contemplating gaming, keep your mind busy. After you've gone a week or so readjusting your normal habits (being on vacation away from home doesn't count), you'll find yourself in a much better position to stay away.

But yeah, MMO addiction is there and a big problem for many people. You hear about it in the news more and more, therapists specializing in it are emerging (electroshock therapy, anyone?), etc... especially in China. Here's an article on GameSpot. Google the topic and you'll find plenty of tips for curbing addiction, etc...

• OrtisaiOrtisai Member Posts: 162

relax buddy, no game should make you feel like that..... take a break or something

http://rewardhits.com/index.php?hit=13063
    Click me and support

• GGGvfunGGGvfun Member Posts: 12

get on the tradmil while you play WOW.

WOW~

dd

Originally posted by croyal
    dont people with that lack of self control belong in a mental hospital.......image

I dont know mate. Its not like this has happened in any way before. I have never been addicted or lacked self control to say no to drugs, cigs, alchohol and stuff... Or other MMORPGs.

Not even when i did the horrid SWG Jedi grind it was this bad.

THere is just something about WoW.. I dont know if its the travel time or something.

I dont know if I really enjoy Wow to begin with. I just wanted to play it since its the hot thing right now. Maybe I should change to a game like EVE... If its true I advance no matter if I grind or not. And then supplement it with guild wars which is more casual and not really a mmo.

I dont know... I feel like ending myself right now.

Overall in WoW I have used so many hours in wow and right now it all feels worthless. Does items I gained in MC and BWL and in pvp wont help me get laid in RL or do me anything good:( Maybe the novelty have just worn out or im trying to live some kind of sick twisted social life thorugh my avatar, friends and guild. uhh..

/end self

• RageMonsterRageMonster Member UncommonPosts: 120

WOW has parental controls that allow you to set the game up so that you can only log in a certain number of hours a day and at certain times.  Set this control so that it restricts when you can get on and for how long.  Have a family member enter the password and that way you won't know it.  You can only change it by calling customer service.  This will help you. 

Make it a point to go out every morning and walk a certain distance before you play.  I try and walk aournd a mile or so and the faster I do this the soomer I get to play. 

Make a day that is dedicated to nothing on the computer.  I have a very busy job so this is not a problem.  I usually take Sunday or Tuesday and just not play.  Instead I go out to the mall and walk around or take a ride on the bike.

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

I would be extremely concerned dear.

You've gained wheight and most certainly not the good kind if it's comming from a lack of activity, you've left school and you're probably developing anti social behavior as well as tendencies towards depression.

My advice, best thing you could do is a full cleaning, get away from the game completely, any game period. Start making new important priorities in your life, start involving the rest of the world in your day to day activities. What ever it is you do, whether thats go back to school, start working out to cut that wheight off, join organized sport, it doesn't matter, you just need to do something to get your mind away from gaming.

Do it now, because the longer you wait the longer you'll fall into that pit of habitualisation and it will be much harder to recover from the longer you wait. What it comes down to is that it's just not healthy in any way, not healthy at all.

bue shae... if I quit now how will I ever be able to get the best rank in pvp and get respect?

I like my WoW life better than my RL.

• bedollahitebedollahite Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by croyal

I dont know mate. Its not like this has happened in any way before. I have never been addicted or lacked self control to say no to drugs, cigs, alchohol and stuff... Or other MMORPGs.

Not even when i did the horrid SWG Jedi grind it was this bad.

THere is just something about WoW.. I dont know if its the travel time or something.

I dont know if I really enjoy Wow to begin with. I just wanted to play it since its the hot thing right now. Maybe I should change to a game like EVE... If its true I advance no matter if I grind or not. And then supplement it with guild wars which is more casual and not really a mmo.

I dont know... I feel like ending myself right now.

Overall in WoW I have used so many hours in wow and right now it all feels worthless. Does items I gained in MC and BWL and in pvp wont help me get laid in RL or do me anything good:( Maybe the novelty have just worn out or im trying to live some kind of sick twisted social life thorugh my avatar, friends and guild. uhh..

/end self

image  god i hope this isnt really happening if so i feel sorry for you that you let a game control your real life also.

• croyalcroyal Member Posts: 136

wait wait wait WAIT... i get it now image you are a troll just trying to get people not to play wow or to stop or it will "ruin your life".....the whole "i want to end myself" thing kinda gave you away nice job for fooling every1 and makin them tell their sappy simple minded stories

8/10 for keeping it going and no1 figuring this out

im not over powered! look it took me 10 minutes to kill that guy