Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How in Depth with the Roleplaying Be?

burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420

Just wondering, i know crafting comes later, and that the first 20 levels are solo, but what about the feeling on depth? Such as interactivity, going where you want , when you want? Is it going to be linear questing till 20? How about housing? Using Inns, and being able to sit at a table, having the barmaid come up to you so you can order, having wenches there...ect. The best example to correlate this would be Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion (which is singleplayer only, I know) but proves that dynamic AI and fantatic greaphics can go into a non-linear game (and the Elder Scrolls are about as non-linear as you can get) -

I take it from the movies, they are recreating the whole world as an expansive exploration (with some instancing) - just please dont go the Guild Wars route, with awesome graphics, but very shallow gameplay, and dont go the the other extreme of Everquest, which is a full blown grind!! I find it exciting and majestic to be able to role-play in this world, i just hope there are few restrictions!

Comments

• azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817

Well, as far as official word goes, there isn't much specific information on the depth of detail that's going to end up in the finished game as far as roleplay is concerned.  The game has not yet even reached closed beta at this point, so it's hard to really do anything but speculate.

However, I've seen the developing company put into their last game release (Anarchy Online, released over five years ago) and was very impressed with what they did there.  For the times, that was a groundbreaking game and it still draws players now, in its old age -- dated graphics and all.  I expect great things out of FunCom in Age of Conan.  The company is ambitious in its game designs and has an excellent staff of developers, artists and producers to back its ambition.

My concerns about the game lie in more practical, behind the scenes areas at this point.  I am curious to see if they have found a way to ensure that the game is scalable both in that it will be able to handle a possibly huge influx of simaltaneous players without either bogging down or crashing the gameservers AND in the realm of how they will handle content addition and game expansions.

Blizzard has proved that scalability in regards to content and expansion addition isn't just possible but is practically essential and that a game's creative vision is best determined and prepared for prior to release.  Too bad they're still having difficulties dealing with the servers at times.  It will be very exciting to watch how FunCom deals with these challenges in its design of Age of Conan.  I'm hoping against hope that they don't end up sacrificing customization and non-linear play to make it easier to deal with issues of lag and other server related difficulties.

• eivvereivver Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by azhrarn

My concerns about the game lie in more practical, behind the scenes areas at this point.  I am curious to see if they have found a way to ensure that the game is scalable both in that it will be able to handle a possibly huge influx of simaltaneous players without either bogging down or crashing the gameservers AND in the realm of how they will handle content addition and game expansions.
    Blizzard has proved that scalability in regards to content and expansion addition isn't just possible but is practically essential and that a game's creative vision is best determined and prepared for prior to release.  Too bad they're still having difficulties dealing with the servers at times.  It will be very exciting to watch how FunCom deals with these challenges in its design of Age of Conan.  I'm hoping against hope that they don't end up sacrificing customization and non-linear play to make it easier to deal with issues of lag and other server related difficulties.

1) They should have alot of experience from AO on how to make their netcode (I belive they said they are using an improved version). So I believe this wont be the biggest issue.

2) I think Funcom has said that they plan to release expansions with another races etc, but never know how much they planned :)

I am mostly concerned on the combat system.. If they will be able to make it balanced and fun, but I believe it will work.

Hello.