Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Been thinking a while

I've been thinking about getting DAoC for a long time now. I have tried the trial and am quite pleased with the game. I just have a few questions to ask to help sway my decision. Hopefully they have not been asked to death already.

1.Do I NEED a second account to be succesful at PvP?

2.How is the population? I don't need a game that is flooding with people, but I do like a steady player base.

3.How is the end game? I know there are castle seiges, and they do sound like great fun. But what keeps you playing this game rather then another?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Brunel

I've been thinking about getting DAoC for a long time now. I have tried the trial and am quite pleased with the game. I just have a few questions to ask to help sway my decision. Hopefully they have not been asked to death already.
    2.How is the population? I don't need a game that is flooding with people, but I do like a steady player base.
    3.How is the end game? I know there are castle seiges, and they do sound like great fun. But what keeps you playing this game rather then another?
    Thanks in advance

I have only played like an hour, but I have been watching closely for some time. I can answer your questions, if only in a rudimentary fashion, which may help, as most people who are playing DAoC are, well, playing DAoC. image

1) No. Just a guild.

2) Servers range from sparsely populated to just about burgeoning with people. I was on Gareth last night and there were 1400 people playing...at midnight! You can just pick which server you like based on population. Kind of handy.

3) I have seen screenshots of some very mythic beasts and large raids, so I can state that yes there is an end game worth playing.

I've only played this game 45 minutes last night with the epic version, but, based on that 45 minutes, I have cancelled my station pass and my WoW account (don't laugh, I have to have something to do at work).image

• Zerocool032Zerocool032 Member Posts: 729

Thanks in advance

Take it from a 2 years player.

1. If you plan on soloing, Yes. ( Non classic server )

2.  There are 5 clusters.  Clusters are groups of servers that RvR with each other.  You can walk to a teleporter to teleport to another server for PvE.  Gareth is one of the only servers with no cluster.

3. Rerolling, BG's, RvR, ML, theres just too much, dont worry, it will keep you playing.

• SquittySquitty Member Posts: 342

About these classic servers you mention, do they have a good sized population? And are these servers completely fine to only play on, or are they more of a server to get your feet wet, and would I be missing out on much if I avoided servers that weren't classic?

• nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438

About these classic servers you mention, do they have a good sized population? And are these servers completely fine to only play on, or are they more of a server to get your feet wet, and would I be missing out on much if I avoided servers that weren't classic?

Classic servers are the newest servers created by Mythic. They created these servers for various reasons, but mainly because the community voted the most for this type of server. The classic server Gareth has the largest population on it. The other servers are clustered so any server you choose will be fine. You will miss out on the Master Level Raids, artifacts, /level command (where you can auto level to 20 once you get your first character to 50), and the ability to use buff bots most effectively. It wasn't hard to give any of this up since I like the game better before TOA came out. You can roll 10 toons per server and there are many many servers. My advice is to just try both types out and choose for yourself. I would recommend the Gareth server though, since you will have more people to group with at lower levels.
  • SquittySquitty Member Posts: 342

Alright well all of you have been great help. Thanks a lot and maybe I will catch a few of you ingame sometime in the near future.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Good luck and enjoy the game :) Just remember: Hibernia is evil :)

(note: Not really... my first time around I had 5 level 50 hibbie characters) :)

In answer to what I think was your biggest concern:
    No you absolutely do NOT need a 2nd account to be successful in PVP. Especially if you play on a 'classic' server because buff bots are much less prolific on them due to specific limitations put in place on the classic servers specifically to reduce the prolification of 'buff bot' characters. On the 'normal' servers having a 2nd account is helpful so you have a 'buff bot'.

Personally I play on Gareth which is the largest of the 'classic' servers, actually the largest server in the game - period, and one of the only non-clustered servers in the game and have alternate characters on Ector and Lamorak (also classic servers which are now clustered together). I don't like the 'normal' servers for various reasons. Most primarily being the prolificacy of 'buff bots' on those servers.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas