Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 Reasons not to play FFXI

Comments

• 92165449216544 Member Posts: 1,904

I agree with most of your points, the other points I never got to see since I never hit a high level. Solo was almost impossible on my blm, and groups were taking forever to find even at low levels. Alot of people were unskilled and did not know how to play well, and we ended up just getting killed over and over, almost to the point that no xp was gained in 3 hours.

I do not think this is how all mmorpgs are, most you can at least solo, have a lower death penalty, and are generally easier to find groups or at least be able to get xp with around 3 people. FFXI just caused too much stress, and I really don't think games should cause stress at all, they are made for fun.

Im playing WoW and one reason why I like it is because the ease of finding groups and soloing. I can get a l evel a day at 50+ fairly easily, and if you log off for a couple days you will have several bars of rest xp which can speed things up.

• RosuckRosuck Member Posts: 11
    I agree with the original poster.  I quit about a year ago. The graphics were really grainy and that got on my nerves.  Not to mention the fact that I didn't like the lack of customizable skin color for elvaans.  The long distances were awful and the solo content disappointing.  If FFXI implemented npc fellows that you could take with you on your journey that would be great.  Waiting for parties to form was a great time waster if you are ever stuck in an underground bunker.
  • SturmwindSturmwind Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by Corbo

10 Reasons not to play FFXI
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    10. Waiting.
    Anything you do you have to wait. If I'm going to do a quest I have to wait 4 hours for a boss monster to spawn. If I attack a prime like Shiva and I die. I have to wait one real life day till I can attack it again. If I want to take an airship I have to wait 11 minutes for it to come. If I want to get some exp I have to wait and form a party then we could have 5 people waiting to party but then we need a 6th person but we can never find one.
    9. Pvp
    Worst pvp I have ever seen. The pvp is city verse city team style. So let’s say 12 Bastok people show up and 18 Sandorians show up. It’ll be 12 verses 18. So no matter what you do you’ll lose. Their is no FFA pvp its all team based. I could be owning some Taru then 3 of his buddies will come up from behind and kill me. Theirs no point in doing pvp. If you win you get a small amount of Gil. Blms own pvp, since everyone is close too each other. Only thing a blm has to do is cast sleepga and enfeeble his enemies then pick them off one by one.
    8. Exp and death penalty
    Only class that can solo in ff is the beast master. So any other class needs a party to get exp. After level 60 it takes about 3 hours to get a party, for others its 7 or 8 hours. Once you start the party what usually happens is someone has to go or someone gets agro from a monster and dies or your party members suck. Then if you die and usually when you die their isn’t a priest with raise 2 around, so when you respawn you lose 3k exp. 3k exp takes about one hour and 30 minutes to get, since most parties suck.
    7. Genkai
    Genkai is a like a limit break that lets you level higher. Like the level cap with out genkai is level 50. To get 55 you have to do genkai 1 witch is hard for most people. That’s why most people quit ff at level 50. I have met so many people who have quit ff just because of that. It’s some stupid square scheme of making you go to high level areas and hunt for some rare rare rare item that takes for ever to get and is almost impossible to do with level 50's. It’s completely pointless and stupid it’s just another thing that makes you play long so they can collect their monthly fees. You have to do this stupid quest every 5 levels after 50.
    6. Crafting
    God where do I begin. First of all you lose so much money crafting because of the ****d up econ (ill get to that later). Then once you get the items to make the item you want to make. You have to wait till it’s the day in the game day that coincides with the crystal that makes the item. So if I make an item with a fire crystal on waters day ill probably fail. Failing god do I hate failing, back in the day I thought it was ok, but once you get 100k items to make some big thing and you fail and lose the items you hate it. Leveling up crafting is retarded; you have to buy all the materials then sit there making the same item over and over again. You can be a level 90 crafter and still lose money; in any other game you would be loaded.
    5. Magic scrolls
    You have to buy magic to be able to use. When your level 20 you barely have any money as a blm and the sad part is most of the scrolls you need are 20k plus. Then when you hit 50 ancient magic is like 100k plus a scroll. That you barely use, but you need em because people always ask you to use em. They should have made it so you learn skills not having to buy them as a mage.
    4. AF
    The worst idea I have ever seen in a mmorpg, wait actually one of the worst ideas. AF is this armor that makes you look like your job in classic ff job specific armor. Like my blm looks like a traditional blm with it on. Well to get any of it done you need 18 people you need to go to some smacked up area with mobs who are level 70 plus and shit. Sit there for 5 hours killing mobs till it drops the key, and then find the box witch takes another 4 hours. Then you have to fight notorious monsters that usually kill 6 people who are in your alliance. Then the af doesn’t even give you good stats that’s the worst, like my body af gives me vit plus 1 when I’m a god damn blm.
    3. Crabs
    Crabs crabs crabs crabs. You kill the same monster for the whole entire game practically. I killed crabs in south gustaberg, crabs in vulkurm dunes, crabs in quifim, crabs in kuftal tunnel, and crabs in the boyhoda tree. Constantly crabs at least they could change the color or something but no same model but with a different name.
    2. Shitty point less jobs that can be replaced by other jobs and race specific stats.
    Ok first of all here are the crappy jobs in ff11 Dragoon, summoner and ninja. Why? You ask here’s why. Ninja is a poor mans paladin, ninja can’t hold agro and if he gets hit 2 or 3 times he’s ****d. Ok he has his powders but once they run out he’s screwed. If I cast stone 1 I get agro with a ninja, agro is when the monster comes to you and attacks you. Dragoon he does shitty damage and is out classed by all damage dealers. Summoner is just a whm basically, you get him in your party for heals. His summons are worthless. Are you kidding me jwbxx summoners did so much damage in all the other ff's. Nope sorry my blm can out damage a summoner any day. I have seen all the summons die to crabs and other crappy shit. Race specific stats omg so pointless. See in any other game if I sucked at hp but had tons of int it would affect me. Because I could own in damage but once I get hit I’m ****d. Not in ff11 since everything so party related the party makes up for your weakness. So their is no point in being a Hume since every other race can do your job better. Like I’m a blm Hume but a Taru blm has 200 more mp and like 20 more int. He has shit hp, but since you never solo in ff the party can protect him. So that’s how Hume’s ability to be good in everything and not suck in anything is negated.
    1. Auction house system omg worst idea.
    This is how the ah system works. You put something up for sale a bidding price, if someone matches it or exceed it you get the Gil for the item. Sounds good right? Nope. Some dick see's that I put up 5 dark steel swords for 35k each, but since he has no patience he decides to sell his for 34k. Next guy sees that and sells his for 33k, and lower and lower the price goes. So then that hurts the crafters. It ends up that the materials are worth more then the final product. That’s why the ah system sucks.

10. Wow, you really like to exaggerate don't you? One day! That's like....... twenty four hours! Most people don't even live that long right? What was SE thinking?

9. FFXI isn't about PvP. It's as simple as that. Players asked for it, and SE gave it to them. They love it.

8. Beastmasters can solo, Dragoons can solo, Summoners can solo, and Ninjas can solo later on in the game. This is a team based game, so it's no surprise you're going to want to party. It's all about knowing where to go and what to kill. Seeking a party isn't nearly as bad as you claim if you'd just form one of your own. It's not that hard. Even as a Dragoon, the job with a terrible rep, I find parties quickly and easily. Through sixty and seventy I never waited more than three hours for a party.

7. I can finish each and every genkai in one evening. It's not hard at all. It never has been and it never will be. Collecting three items, killing three monsters, exploring three dungeons and obtaining three seals, is hard? No, it's not.

6. So they didn't baby you with crafting and now you're crying? There's always a risk in every money making endeavor unless you're a baby.

5. You have to collect and use scrolls, what a crazy idea! It's not like you don't have to pay for your skills in some other way in other games! Proposterous!

4. You really are just here to complain if you think AF is a bad idea. Nobody is forcing you to do the quests and obtain them. A lot of people actually enjoy the STORYLINE in the quests. Storyline being the newest thing to hit the MMORPG market in the past four years.

3. You fight what you want to fight. You obviously wanted to fight crabs. I've been to several areas where we didn't fight crabs, and several areas where we did. It's all about convienence.

2. Here's the biggest clue that tells us this guy is a complete idiot. Diversity is an important aspect in MMORPGs, and each job in FFXI offers a different experience and way to play. Some people like having options and possibilities when they play. All your complaints about each job are unbased and childish.

1. It's called economy, plain and simple. Supply and demand, cornering the market, and the rest of that jazz.

This kid is just the average idiot. He's going to play WoW and enjoy it because they baby him and make everything so easy. He doesn't like a challenge, he doesn't like to work and earn, and he doesn't like to team up with other people. If something is too hard, or he become frustrated, he throws his mashed peas on the floor and knocks over his lego castle in a fit.

Enjoy being an idiot, kid.

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

It is simple. Those who want instant gratification will never find it in FFXI. If you want that then in reality no MMO will ever offer what they desire.

WoW is a lot of developent until 60 then players complain about not getting anywhere etc. Many other gmaes are like that also. In fact the vast majority of complataints about FFXIare about it moving too slowly then you read over boards and notice anyone not at the lvl cap loves the game...but end game players still say it prgresses too slowly.

You can only hav so much material in any game, accept this. If you don't like this then maybe a online co-op game is more your style. That isn't a slant, it is just that MMOs are being less and less effort/time related to advance. Yes things get frusrtating at times, but if i can hit end game in 3 months doesn't taht mean I rushed through a lot to get there?

Ppl telll me FFXI has no plot in my current LS, but half of them don't even know what a Zilart is because the just pass thorugh the cut scenese as fast as they can. Maybe the issue isn't the game as much as players not wanting something handed to them.

And I admit ther eare times FFXI would just tick me off, heck any MMO would. But I go play my NES then, a lot of very good games exist to have fun in that mood...SMB2,SMB3, blades of Steel, Powerblade...the list is quite long. Why do i have to pay to make ppl happy, who are really playing the wrong type of game.

• VelcroyVelcroy Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by Rosuck
    If FFXI implemented npc fellows that you could take with you on your journey that would be great.  Waiting for parties to form was a great time waster if you are ever stuck in an underground bunker.

They did implement NPC buddies by the way. You can now have an NPC friend which can help a lot for soloing, much like a BST pet. As of now, I think the NPC can get to level 65, and they have a lot of different fighting styles that you can customize. It is very nice.
  • RedhobbitRedhobbit Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by Vyava
    It is simple. Those who want instant gratification will never find it in FFXI. If you want that then in reality no MMO will ever offer what they desire.WoW is a lot of developent until 60 then players complain about not getting anywhere etc. Many other gmaes are like that also. In fact the vast majority of complataints about FFXIare about it moving too slowly then you read over boards and notice anyone not at the lvl cap loves the game...but end game players still say it prgresses too slowly.You can only hav so much material in any game, accept this. If you don't like this then maybe a online co-op game is more your style. That isn't a slant, it is just that MMOs are being less and less effort/time related to advance. Yes things get frusrtating at times, but if i can hit end game in 3 months doesn't taht mean I rushed through a lot to get there?Ppl telll me FFXI has no plot in my current LS, but half of them don't even know what a Zilart is because the just pass thorugh the cut scenese as fast as they can. Maybe the issue isn't the game as much as players not wanting something handed to them.And I admit ther eare times FFXI would just tick me off, heck any MMO would. But I go play my NES then, a lot of very good games exist to have fun in that mood...SMB2,SMB3, blades of Steel, Powerblade...the list is quite long. Why do i have to pay to make ppl happy, who are really playing the wrong type of game.

I'm not at the level cap and I love it so much that I just quit today. Major jobs BST61, WHM56, NIN41 so plenty of room until cap. I'm willing to devote my entire evening (3-4 hours available) to the game if I can make decent progress. Even on my WHM (which is relative high demand job), putting a party together and getting to camp is usually a hour and a half process (hour collecting people, 30 mins to camp). I'm not willing to spend half my playtime for a night waiting and I'm not willing to only be able to level on weekends (I don't really have much else to do since there is no point taking any of my crafts past about 60 [several at 60]). I was leveling BST until they messed that up in the December update. BST just isn't fun for me anymore. Bunnies should not warp. Bunnies should NOT warp.

I'd like to do the Zilart story line, but I'm not high enough level to go through all the missions. I'm not really high enough for ZM4 yet which is the one I'm on.

I don't mind slow and I don't mind working for my rewards (in fact there had better be some challenge), but progress in FFXI goes from slow to glacial (and almost stopped at this point for me). I have just over 111 days of playtime, none of that on afk bazaar, so I put in the effort.

O, although the OP exaggerated every single item in the list, there is some truth in all of them. For the record, the silly thing about the AH is that when someone bids (assuming they bid enough to get the item), the person selling for the lowest price sells first regardless of when they listed it and gets the amount that the bidder bid no matter how much more it is than what the item was listed at. This turns the AH into a giant game of chicken amongst sellers of items. Well, that and the fact that you can only sell 7 items at a time and they better either be singles or a full stack. You want to sell 97 Silver Bullets? Good luck with your bazaar.

• ramadinramadin Member Posts: 1,304

Originally posted by novamaster

10 reasons why you should S.T.F.U. and go to a WoW forum and b/s around there.
    FF is a game that requirs ALOT of hard work you ass, lots of missions, quests, leveling and other things that need to be done.

Uh, I play games to have fun, not because they are "alot of hard work".  If I wanted hard work, I would go to work.  And ballista is crap so dont try to pretend its good.

-----------------Censored------------------

• novamasternovamaster Member Posts: 6

Ballista doesnt suck, for one thing, and Diorama rocks, LS battle like 20vs20 is priceless.

and yeah, there is alot of hard work to do in FF, making gil, for one thing, sucks.

quests, for fame, tons and tons of missions and quests for scrolls and other things u need.

but aside from that there is also alot of fun in FF, for instance, Ballista, or Diorama, preferably.

but i also enjoy doing hard ass quests and missions... and i dont B*itch about a game i hate constantly, i played WoW, didnt like it that much at all, but i havent ever posted anything on a WoW forum in my life.

• ghostinfinitghostinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 552

Originally posted by duhe
    Hey, i played on the Titan server just over a year ago and am thinking of getting back into it, but is the economy really THAT messed up from gil sellers, so that buying basic whm and blm spells and decent armor/ weapons is too expensive? I remember that i was able to buy what i needed after spending a few hours hunting silk worms, do u think ill still be able to do that?

I played on titan for a little over 2 years, the economy went in the crapper right after christmas.  Friends I talk to that still play on titan say it has stabilized a little bit but items are VASTLY more expensive than when you played.  Many items are triple the price if not more.  It has become a real slug fest to farm, get synth materials etc etc.  With a lot of people buying gil to make quick money instead of earning it  the prices don't seem to drop.  This makes it REAL hard to afford the HQ gear that we all like to see our character decked out in.  The economy was the "straw that broke the camel's back" so to speak for me and got me to quit FFXI (for the second and final time)

This used to be a pretty solid game, it's a shame it went the direction it did. 

• HansukeHansuke Member Posts: 22

I have to disagree with the one who said that WoW was better.
    WoW sucks due to varius reasons that I belive.

But that's my oppinion.

• Alexis598Alexis598 Member Posts: 111
    This game is certainly not for whiners or impatient people. I have played it for 1 year then quit for WoW then I got bored of WoW in 5 months now back to this game. If there is a thing I HATE about this game is the economy, everything else is cool..

Originally posted by Hansuke

I have to disagree with the one who said that WoW was better.
    WoW sucks due to varius reasons that I belive.
    But that's my oppinion.

ROFL!!!!  He says WoW sucks yet his Xfire sig says 216 hours of WoW played time and 56 hours this week.  Yeah it musta really sucked LMAO!~

Originally posted by ramadin
    I have to disagree with the one who said that WoW was better.WoW sucks due to varius reasons that I belive.
    But that's my oppinion.ROFL!!!! He says WoW sucks yet his Xfire sig says 216 hours of WoW played time and 56 hours this week. Yeah it musta really sucked LMAO!~

Indeed, why do you think I'm quitting WoW now the 28th this month? :)

I have to disagree with the one who said that WoW was better.WoW sucks due to varius reasons that I belive.
    But that's my oppinion.
    ROFL!!!! He says WoW sucks yet his Xfire sig says 216 hours of WoW played time and 56 hours this week. Yeah it musta really sucked LMAO!~

Indeed, why do you think I'm quitting WoW now the 28th this month? :)

That was my point, it took you 216 hours to figure out that it sucks.  I quit WoW too, just because it doesnt have enough end game content, but the game itself is extremely good.

[quote]Originally posted by ramadinThat was my point, it took you 216 hours to figure out that it sucks. I quit WoW too, just because it doesnt have enough end game content, but the game itself is extremely good.[/b][/quote]

Right, my former post was deleted by some odd reason so I can't be bothered to rewrite it.
    To short up:
    Your an idiot, no offense.
    I've had this game for longer then 216 hours, I knew back when I played the Beta version that it sucked.
    But all of my friends, or most of them played it and I wanted to play with them.
    There is much more to do as a Lv 60 then a Lv 10 will ever do, and my highest character was Lv 33.
    I hate WoW, it only benefits those who are 60. All events, all special things, Lv 60.

"I quit WoW too, just because it doesnt have enough end game content, but the game itself is extremely good."
    Lies or misstyped since your saying that your quitting WoW since it doesn't have enough End-Game content BUT you stil think the game is extreamly good, thus meaning your stil liking the game, thus you should stay.

That was just about it.

You want end-game? Go play FFXI.

Originally posted by Alexis598

I'm not sure where this "end game" content is.  I was around 5k hours logged into FFXI (a little over 200 days) when I quit.  Do you consider getting rank 10 as end game?  Finishing Zilart missions or CoP missions?  The only end game I saw was once you get to 75 in a job you get recruited into a HNM linkshell which wraps you up in the drama of getting god armor, HNM drops etc etc.  (on a side note, you'll only actually get these items if you're fortunate enough to get a "need before greed" linkshell) 

Originally posted by ghostinfinit

Do you consider getting rank 10 as end game?  Finishing Zilart missions or CoP missions? 

Yes, you forgot about Dynamis and such too.

Yes, you forgot about Dynamis and such too.

True, I did overlook dynamis.  That however can only be entered every 3 days and starts at level 65.  It also takes forever to get you drops there.  I participated in many many dynamis' for months straight and was never fortunate enough to get AFv2. Largely due to people with more time in the dynamis LS than I had or bad lotting on my part.  Atleast they enhanced AFv2 with the new dynamis areas and the AF +1.  Still, IMO none of it give you an "endgame feel"  and much of it results in linkshell drama.

The game was certainly fun to grind through in its early days but it's now a shadow of what it once was.  Technically speaking it's a dinosaur in comparrison to current games and games that are being released in the next few quarters.  You can slowly watch it bleed to death off the rating charts as well unfortunately.  I compare it to watching an old friend dying of cancer with a little bit of sadness.  I'm sure with the 360 picking it up and the new expansion it will get another little surge of interest.  It's really riding on the coat tails of the FF name (ironically hardly anything like the true FF games)  and will probably be around for a long time. 

• AkibanaAkibana Member Posts: 107

So have many games. All games become old and not-so-interesting to the general public. I don't think this game is bleeding to death as u stated because alot of ppl everyday r popping into the servers. Dunno how long they will stay but surely a new player-base is going to be born with the new expansion and 360 version.

Originally posted by Akibana

So have many games. All games become old and not-so-interesting to the general public. I don't think this game is bleeding to death as u stated because alot of ppl everyday r popping into the servers. Dunno how long they will stay but surely a new player-base is going to be born with the new expansion and 360 version.

Compared to the way it was 1-2 years ago it certainly has declined and not by a little.  I remember a time when LL boots cost 250k.  I remember a pleasant server community, every knowing everyone and helping one another.  I remember taking a break from leveling my main job at the time to go level something in the dunes and there'd be 300-500 people in the zone.  You would get a party in 30 mins tops no matter what you were leveling.  FFXI is a long long loooong grind and now it's even lower due to low server populations.  Sure, it will be a little better with the expansion drawing some interest and the game available on xbox360, but it just delays the inevitable. 

I'm really not bashing FFXI, I truly feel this was a great game but its past its prime.  Like I stated before I played FFXI for a long time and I'm very familiar with the way it is there.  I feel bad when I see all these posts by disappointed people and I'm compelled to warn fellow gamers about how the game really is.

May I ask what are you playing now?

May I ask what are you playing now?

Nothing at the moment, I'm reading reviews, threads, sites etc etc and deciding what I'll play next.  Taking a little break of sorts and doing research of what I'll play next.   Just like I did before I played FFXI a couple of years ago.
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

Game blows, thats why I quit on 2nd day it was released.

• KyorutoKyoruto Member Posts: 794

OK ill put it into words you can understand. WoW has a much bigger player base than FFXI, which is really the only point that needed to be made.

Yeah.. Not to meantion that more and more people quit that game everyday. Everything is fanboi based so don't even try to play that card. If WoW was the game it should of been and like you say it is.. Then every other MMO should of crumbled because WoW is SO great. Which obvioiusly it isn't. Not every game is for everyone... Its as simple as that. Obvioiusly this game doesn't suck cause its still up and people still play the game. Cause you enjoy to twist logic and everything someone else says is wrong.. There really is no point for you to speak anymore. If you said something even worth wile and not a typical responce then it would be a different story. Just accept people like different things then you.

Siehst du mich
    Erkennst du mich
    Ganz tief in meinem Herz
    ist noch ein Platz f?r dich
    Ich suche dich
    Ich sehne mich
    nach dem was ich geliebt hab
    doch ich find es nicht