Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Shadowbane got right...

Billius8Billius8 Member Posts: 574

Weapons graphics and armor were very cool in this game.  Character customization was kind of neat.   Interface was good.  While I prefer keyboard movement over mouse click movement, Shadowbane effectively lets you move by operating only one hand.  Outdoor environments and buildings were sort of cool.  For PK'ers, which I am really not, this is a great game.  PK does keep you on your toes, and makes the large NPC cities (especially that desert one) seem like wild dangerous exotic places, like in a Conan novel, for example.  Treasure was cool, too.

Shadowbane's problems and how to fix them:

1)  PK is rampant, too rampant.  Instead of the "game of thrones" it's much more like a chaotic gankfest, IMO.  However, by increasing the role of NPC's (i.e., guards and such) and emphasizing faction, this can be improved.  There need to be real-world disadvantages for being a chaotic random PK'er.

2)  Mouse movement can simply be recoded to arrow-key movement.  Shadowbane basically needs a new engine for this.  Hopefully, they are working on ways to improve this.

3)  Lag.  All coding issues.  Improve the code, this goes away.  Easier said than done, but if other games do this, then Shadowbane ought to.

4)  No dungeons, limited content.  With a new expansion coming out, seems they are working on this aspect.  Still, I'd like to see dungeons someday in Shadowbane.

Overall, a bold game.  Carried me a few months when I finally got bored of Everquest.  If it weren't for other releases coming out, I'd probably fire up Shadowbane again and start playing.