Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a new MMORPG

Just got done with 4 months of SWG and have just realized what a waste of time it was. I'm now on the hunt for a new MMORPG and I've ran into alot of SWG ppl that said they were going back to DAOC. Is this game still worthy of purchasing? Is there still quite a few ppl playing the game? Or is there any other recommendations someone could give me. I was thinking of Horizons, but after the bugs in SWG I think i'll wait till they have those settled on Horizon. Would this be a wise choice? If not, what do ya think would be a good pick up. Please don't say AO....tried the 7 day trial and thought it sucked.

Comments

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

omg....There have been 4 threads like this in the last week. Check those out first. Im not saying anything....

Open your eyes, close your mouth, and make a fist.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• nbk247nbk247 Member Posts: 26
    Well if I read the posts correctly it still has a lot of people still playing, but is a very repetative game and gets boring after a bit. (Great! Another max lvl....nothing to do game image) Guess I'll move onto the next.

• ClandestineClandestine Member UncommonPosts: 91

DAoC did not become boring to me until I'd played it for two years. I would suggest you consider Horizons though if you're looking for something new. I believe it is a very promising game and it's being released on Tuesday in North America.

• nbk247nbk247 Member Posts: 26
    I really considered Horizon, but SWG scarred me for life. I pretty much paid for beta testing and I don't want to do that again. So mattering on the popularity and the bugs I'll probably take a peak at Horizon in a month or 2. Just been looking for something cheap and older to hold me over till then.

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     I've heard bad reviews on horizons and SWG as we all know isn't good. DAoC might be a good choice for now unless you can find an open beta for a good game.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Horizons will bomb and that gives you about 6-10 months before another mmorpg comes out.

Open your eyes, close your mouth, and make a fist.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• lanalana Member Posts: 5
    I played DAoC for bout a year and a half before it started getting boring...and it only got boring because i got burnt out by the time i got to 50. I quit because SWG was supposed to be the next great thing(also im a SW nerd). I quickly discovered how great DAoC was in comparison . I think it is a game that you can have fun with right away....and when you get to higher levels its even more fun. Sure you may get tired of it in a year.....but i havent seen any other games out that i would run out and buy. Also i  heard a rumor that there was a free copy in Comp. gaming world. SO you might wanna check that out.

• ChaoticaChaotica Member UncommonPosts: 93

DAOC is a great game. I really think you would enjoy it. If you enjoy pvp that is controlled and makes sense then you can start out on many different servers and try that out. If you like to roleplay, there are three dedicated roleplay servers plus a very well kept secret one which is also the PVE only server - Gaheris.

I play on Gaheris and am part of a large group of roleplayers in The Roleplaying Alliance/The Pack. We have a lot of fun with stories, player created campaigns, and other things. As I said, however, Gaheris doesn't have the pvp that the other servers have, so that's a choice you have to make on your own.

If you are interested in reading more about the Roleplaying Alliance or The Pack come visit www.rpgaheris.com.

Either way, good luck with choosing a new game!

A Voice From Within

• EdoManEdoMan Member Posts: 23
    HAVNT ANY OF U PLAYED RAGNAROK ONLINE? www.ragnarokonline.com  (official site)  or cool fan site for more info about monsters and newb guides and stuff www.roempire.com . Ragnarok was originally in korean, but its been translated into english which is iRO(international rag online), but trust me, ull love rag, its based on a comic series, it has nice graphics and stuff,  ull like it alot.  You have to download the client first which is like 600 mb(if the client from main site isnt working, search for iRO client downloads on yahoo or something. PLAY THIS GAME, ITS THE BEST, ITS DIFFERENT FROM ANY MMORPG UVE PLAYED, ITS FUN, ADDICTING and more stuff image. I sound like an advertiser person or something.   ps-its a 15 day free trial for new ppl, and download the client first, b4 u make an account, so u can have more time to play.

• EdoManEdoMan Member Posts: 23
    wut i said up there ^

• MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

As most of the regulars to this Forum are aware of where i stand regarding DAOC and the other mmorpg's presently on the market, I wont write an essay as to why i think you should give it a shot.

Instead, im going to offer you a free 30 trial CD of the orginal DAOC and the Free Foundations Expansion. I'll even overnight the package to you because I'm just a F* nice guy. image

If your interested, contact me through the boards.

- Malkavian image

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

• JohnMarkFJohnMarkF Member Posts: 2

I'm very disappointed with the recent online games released...looking forward to Lineage 2, WoW, and Ultima XI...but DAOC is always a good choice of a game.

• iberamiberam Member Posts: 20
    Also keep and eye on WISH, this is a promising game.  it is still in early beta and is tons better and more fun than horizons or swg

• mobettahmobettah Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by JohnMarkF

I'm very disappointed with the recent online games released...looking forward to Lineage 2, WoW, and Ultima XI...but DAOC is always a good choice of a game.

Ultima XI??  Dont you mean Ultima X: Odyssey?  the beta should be coming out in early Feb, to my knowledge.  Only the beta will tell..image
  • Lionhart324Lionhart324 Member Posts: 17
    I like DAOC i thought it was an awesome game after a while it can get boring but what game can't so I would say it is worth while to grab a copy its a fun game

What isnt remebered...Never happened...

What isnt remebered...Never happened

• CornflakesCornflakes Member Posts: 3
    Well I've been playing DAoC for about 1½ year and I've not been bored with the game yet... sure it might be easy to reach max lvl but then you have to get Realm Rank 10 Level 10 and that'll take some time trust me... image end of story I would say try it you'll get adicted... image

Share your knowlegde. It's a way to achieve immortality

• TheBolgTheBolg Member Posts: 3
    DAoC is a REALLY cool game. Im sure you'll enjoy it. There is so much to do, that you can't get bored.

TheBolg

TheBolg

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Well i've been testing around all sorts off MMORPG's and now i finally came accross DAoC.. i was pretty hyped up for the past few days about getting it.. but then i read something about "buffbots".. been reading about those and im totally not hyped anymore.. another good game to pass because of allowing such things happen because of Mythic's greedyness. imageimage

These buffbots only affect in RvR battles (but those we're the main reasons i was so hyped)

(for those who want to know more, Buffbots are one player with a damaging char and then another account with a healer/buffer type char running on a second computer to keep the melee's buffs up)

So being a viable in RvR combat without buffbot is a NOGO, and im not going to pay for another account just to be able to DO something in RvR except die everytime i encounter someone

in simplistic words an exploit allowed by Mythic because they get $$$$$ for additional accounts

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • LemyLemy Member Posts: 21

im playing DAoC too :-)  returned after 6 month break :-)

But also have a look at DARK AND LIGHT  which is in my opinion the most promissing upcoming MMORPG :-)    Its actually in beta stage ....   i think in 4-6 month will be the release... prior to this DnL will have an open beta for stress-test ^^

• CornflakesCornflakes Member Posts: 3
    The exploit that you call it is infact not that big thing... I know that you'll have a better chance of winning by haveing a Buffbot... but in the time I've been playing I havent lost to a char with a Buffbot more than one without because peeps have the Buffbots so they can make a diffrense (they think) in RvR and they don't really know how to play their char so they'll need to be stronger to stand a chance... I think you shoud give another chance maybe get a guild and then do RvR with them because then you'll get buffed to maybe not by the Cleric in the groupe but then maybe one of them has a Buffbot!... I would say that the Buffbots isn't that big a deal!

• rizeanrizean Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Fusion

Well i've been testing around all sorts off MMORPG's and now i finally came accross DAoC.. i was pretty hyped up for the past few days about getting it.. but then i read something about "buffbots".. been reading about those and im totally not hyped anymore.. another good game to pass because of allowing such things happen because of Mythic's greedyness. imageimage
    These buffbots only affect in RvR battles (but those we're the main reasons i was so hyped)
    (for those who want to know more, Buffbots are one player with a damaging char and then another account with a healer/buffer type char running on a second computer to keep the melee's buffs up)
    So being a viable in RvR combat without buffbot is a NOGO, and im not going to pay for another account just to be able to DO something in RvR except die everytime i encounter someone
    in simplistic words an exploit allowed by Mythic because they get $$$$$ for additional accounts

The truth about buff bots from someone who uses one. First off yes it does help in PvE and this is the main reason most have buff bots. It's like having a group with out having a grp. You cant quite do what you would do if you had an active player with you but you can do more than you can solo. Solo in DAoC never has been a good ideal, buff bots just let you solo and earn reasonable xp. Now there effect on RvR is minimal and is completely negated IF you have a grp in RvR. The people it has the bigest effect on in RvR is Stealthers. Stealthers run solo 90% of the time and these buff do add quit a bit to their ability.

I take buff bot to the next step but most people like what I do better than a pure buff bot. When I RvR and dont have a grp I will bring my bot a long with me. This is for stealth hunting, you know the guys who uses bots more than anyone else image What I do is IF A STEALTHER or any other solo or duo team attacks me I stun then with my bot and then I kill them. IF they attack my bot I kill them image Bot doesnt always live and some times they stun me or my bot and it all goes to hell. I kill stealthers 50% of the time solo WITH BOT! and maybe 1% of the time with out bot. Why do people prefer this time of buff bot? Because they get double the Realm Point's when they kill me. Yes I am twice as hard to kill but the reward is so much sweater and they really only have to kill me and not the bot because once I go down it's over cause the bot couldnt kill a cockroach.

Rizean of Iseult 50 SM/RR2/ML5
    Moge of Iseult 50 Warrior/RR2/ML2
    Pomho of Iseult 50 Healer/RR2/ML5

Rizean of Iseult 50 SM/RR3/ML6
    Pomho of Iseult 50 Healer/RR2/ML6
    Koah of Iseult 46 Shaman
    Moge of Iseult 50 Warrior/RR2/ML2

• bgh95035bgh95035 Member Posts: 9

Actually, cancelling my account on Horizons. It has ALL the short comings of SWG which I bailed on after 3 months. Adventuring is very boring. So, I spent my 2 months crafting, and finally got enough money buy a plot of land for a house and a smithy, but there's ZERO left to buy. But, actually the worst part of it is I just found out that NONE of the housing feature work UNIMPLEMENTED so you can build a smithy but it'll only be for show. Anyways, Horizons has a pretty nice crafting system, but it's been 2 months and I'm cancelling now.