Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guide to Not Much At All

Comments

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503
    Well, I'm getting into this game now. I think I might subscribe. I'm thinking about going for a Caldari Raven eventually. Gonna take a while to get skills up to use it though :/

Thanks for the help :)
  • ralazoralazo Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by lowrads

One thing about the Trial Experience, they don't do enough to prevent people from doing things that are incredibly boring.
    I'm here to fix that. Sure, you should try the missions once or twice just to read the story or see the npc complexes. "Ooh pretty.. ok moving on." Time to move to PvP. The less you have to lose, the less reason you have to hold back. Some people seem to get caught ahead of this cycle and end up always having more to lose than they know how to deal with. Some get lucky later on and overcome this barrier when they come into a means of making good cash. Most don't. Don't be like them.
    Eventually you will wake up in a clone bay. As someone famously said upon waking up in one of these: "OMG I R saved! No wait. I R dead. =( -- But I got better." As I prefer to think of it, in EVE, we're all dead already, and now we're in some kind of crazy heaven, whatever we make of it.
    Create a Minmatar, Gallente or Caldari character. Amarr are good too, it's just that all their gear sucks at low levels. (Their frigs are thumb twiddlers at pvp.) Most swashbucklers will tell you they also wished they had known to start their names with a "Z."

If you're wondering what to do at this point, train: 1)electronics III/engineering 2)navigation II 3)afterburner 4)Minmatar or Caldari or Gallente Frigate III 5)Propulsion Jamming 6)gunnery and/or missile launcher operation II
    You should be able to do this on your first day with a bit of a cash infusion. Most of these you should have except propulsion jamming which is 100k one time fee. The others you might not have are about 20-30k each.
    7)At this point you can start training whatever looks interesting. Try to avoid training anything higher than III in order to get a feel for as many areas of the game as possible. It won't matter that you're behind. The sheer willingness to be near-suicidal makes you 500% more effective and scary than the guy that runs from his own shadow. I've seen guys bluff and kill targets with only their high slots fitted. Seriously. Get tanking skills if you want, but plain old nanofibers might be better and help you avoid fire altogether as well as catch prey quicker.
    So, now, yes, costs. Clone less than 10k. Awesome. Need about 300k for a ship: Rifter, Tristan or Kestrel. Not so good. Also, about 50k for close range guns (gallente blasters, minmatar autocannons, or rocket launchers.) 40k for a scrambler, 40k for a stasis webifier. You'll also need like 30% of your ship hull cost for insurance. Think of this as the replacement fee for your ship.
    About 5k for some ammo. Get the short range, high damage ammo. EMP for minmatar, Antimatter for gallente/caldari. All the missiles are the same.
    That's quite a it I suppose, however, if you start buying and training the cheaper stuff, and do the whole tutorial, you get an implant that is worth between 1-4 million isk. Don't stick it in your head! List that thing on the market or escrow just a bit under whatever someone else is selling for and it should sell within the day. Voila. Venture Capital for your ganking empire secured by the time all your critical skills are reached! Fools!
    Now combat. The best mods you have available are: Friends, Sugar. -- Failing those, set your orbit as small, like right at your weapon's optimal range close as you can get. Right click on the button at the top right of screen to set it forever. When you see an enemy, just hit the approach button and fly in a strait line. Ramming is good, it knocks them off the course they've just desperately set to escape from you. They may eventually recover from the shock and remember that they have defenses or weapons of some sort. It's probably too late for them.
    At this point I usually type something obscene or throw them off guard with a colorful yet provocative expression. Examples: "ROBOT ATTACK!!!" or the classic, yet timeless "YAAARRRRR!"
    Industrials. - Turn off your afterburner when you orbit this guy, and only run the webifier intermittently as much as you need to keep him from getting away. You'll need the cap for the warp scrambler. These guys usually have alot of warp core stabilizers.
    Other Frigates. - Just catch up and shoot first. Happy birthday m*#$^%^#@#*%!
    Interceptors if you have the advantage of being the one jumping in on them. Just charge strait at them and turn on the webifier pronto. If it gets the upper hand and circles you outside 10km, try to warp out. Don't panic, it's probably too late.
    Cruisers - Yah. These just got better. Try to warp out unless they are mining.
    Battleships - Don't attack them alone. More than 4 guys.. odds are in your favor. Don't forget to shoot the ship after you kill the drones. ::::28::
    Destroyers - If this guy hits you when you are way far out, keep pressing on to get a close orbit. If not, keep out of range (+10km)
    Ok - territory: 0.4 to 0.1 or lowsec - you're sec is gonna get bad! people will run away when you enter local =( Who cares! If this isn't fun at some point, you can just delete this stupid game, or just start a second character slot and see what the carebear game is like. Option1 : Craft ammo and sell it to people to shoot it back you. Option2 : Shoot people, refine their cruddy mods, and shoot the remains of their ship at their friends. Trick with lowsec is not to master the radar or whatever.. just jump to the first belt before the foolish ones that closed their local wake up. Pray to the deities of strife and honor their wisdom. They will reward you when it is time. Any outcome will still look cool.
    0.0 - this is where it gets tricky. 0.0 is all about the gatecamps at the highway bottlenecks. Hmm.. nah forget it. Just jump in. You've got 30 seconds of gatecloak to choose a planet or moon to escape that gatecamp. Breathe. If there's a bubble.. c'est la vie. Actually those, 50% of the time, you are right on the edge of the bubble. Line it up, shoot the gap, escape to a planet's moon and immediately prepare to jump to somewhere else. Oh, there was a POS there. You're toast. Ask the guys at the gate camp to pod you back home as the dang clone is only 10k right?
    0.0 redux. Ok, you're deep in 0.0 this time because the gatecampers we're tipping the pizzaman. Here are the highways of wealth and easy living. Except there's not much ammo around, but you brought enough for awhile right? Don't stand still for very long. Best trick is to find a highway. Just a string of systems with only 2 gates each. Keep moving and you may run across a jumpy industrial or just pod or shuttle or something. Way more common than you think. You'll need luck catching them. Try anyway. You may also run into another camp or bubble.
    Eh. One good option still available. Find a nice moon within 3au of a gate in a 2 gate system with a level of travellers you like. Open the scanner. Check the filter to ON. Scan. The more things excluded by your filter the faster you scan. Familiarize. Wait awhile. If you've chosen well, in a number of minutes a face will appear in local. Hit the scan button. Scan once more. If you don't see them, warp to the gate they are headed to. They've got instas, but it's a hauler, nice and slow. Get to the gate pronto. Maybe you shoulda set your own insta first yeah? Don't shoot them till you get to the other side. You've both jumped. Wait for them to materialize and pounce on them. Did I mention sacrificing small furry creatures to your dark masters? I'll put that in the guide version 2.
    Expect to be poor. Expect to always be poor. Don't beg. Be a capitalist and offer potential investors a ~30% stake in your takings for a period of time. Kill them later, but keep your end of the bargain. Advertize and accept commissions to harrass someone else's foe - you may never succeed, but it bought you a new ship. Don't spend to much on mods. In your line of work, one weapon is really as good as the next so long as you are preying on the defensless and so-called "innocent." Better scramblers are steep, but they cost a kings ransom.
    If you wanna take the pillaging to the next step, and less of the fighting, drop the webifier and get a second warp scrambler. If you want to build your empire off that.. well.. you're gonna need to subscribe.
    Anyway, I hope this was helpful. No, I won't give you isk. -- I know. Very mean. The real trouble is that I don't have any. EVE is the best game ever.

They full game sucks its a game only for Space noobs  i have try it whit trail for 14 days it is suck
     i u by soemthing u need to get in another spacestation first i need to go to a Spaces gate  :S i have u something always in youre item pack ife u buy it ore not? and u cant go fly for free u need to Warp ore aproach i cant go fly whit " w,s,a.d ore use youre arrows , go play Guild Wars!!
  • FrenziFrenzi Member Posts: 34
    lol^^

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Originally posted by ralazo

Originally posted by lowrads

One thing about the Trial Experience, they don't do enough to prevent people from doing things that are incredibly boring.
    I'm here to fix that. Sure, you should try the missions once or twice just to read the story or see the npc complexes. "Ooh pretty.. ok moving on." Time to move to PvP. The less you have to lose, the less reason you have to hold back. Some people seem to get caught ahead of this cycle and end up always having more to lose than they know how to deal with. Some get lucky later on and overcome this barrier when they come into a means of making good cash. Most don't. Don't be like them.
    Eventually you will wake up in a clone bay. As someone famously said upon waking up in one of these: "OMG I R saved! No wait. I R dead. =( -- But I got better." As I prefer to think of it, in EVE, we're all dead already, and now we're in some kind of crazy heaven, whatever we make of it.
    Create a Minmatar, Gallente or Caldari character. Amarr are good too, it's just that all their gear sucks at low levels. (Their frigs are thumb twiddlers at pvp.) Most swashbucklers will tell you they also wished they had known to start their names with a "Z."

If you're wondering what to do at this point, train: 1)electronics III/engineering 2)navigation II 3)afterburner 4)Minmatar or Caldari or Gallente Frigate III 5)Propulsion Jamming 6)gunnery and/or missile launcher operation II
    You should be able to do this on your first day with a bit of a cash infusion. Most of these you should have except propulsion jamming which is 100k one time fee. The others you might not have are about 20-30k each.
    7)At this point you can start training whatever looks interesting. Try to avoid training anything higher than III in order to get a feel for as many areas of the game as possible. It won't matter that you're behind. The sheer willingness to be near-suicidal makes you 500% more effective and scary than the guy that runs from his own shadow. I've seen guys bluff and kill targets with only their high slots fitted. Seriously. Get tanking skills if you want, but plain old nanofibers might be better and help you avoid fire altogether as well as catch prey quicker.
    So, now, yes, costs. Clone less than 10k. Awesome. Need about 300k for a ship: Rifter, Tristan or Kestrel. Not so good. Also, about 50k for close range guns (gallente blasters, minmatar autocannons, or rocket launchers.) 40k for a scrambler, 40k for a stasis webifier. You'll also need like 30% of your ship hull cost for insurance. Think of this as the replacement fee for your ship.
    About 5k for some ammo. Get the short range, high damage ammo. EMP for minmatar, Antimatter for gallente/caldari. All the missiles are the same.
    That's quite a it I suppose, however, if you start buying and training the cheaper stuff, and do the whole tutorial, you get an implant that is worth between 1-4 million isk. Don't stick it in your head! List that thing on the market or escrow just a bit under whatever someone else is selling for and it should sell within the day. Voila. Venture Capital for your ganking empire secured by the time all your critical skills are reached! Fools!
    Now combat. The best mods you have available are: Friends, Sugar. -- Failing those, set your orbit as small, like right at your weapon's optimal range close as you can get. Right click on the button at the top right of screen to set it forever. When you see an enemy, just hit the approach button and fly in a strait line. Ramming is good, it knocks them off the course they've just desperately set to escape from you. They may eventually recover from the shock and remember that they have defenses or weapons of some sort. It's probably too late for them.
    At this point I usually type something obscene or throw them off guard with a colorful yet provocative expression. Examples: "ROBOT ATTACK!!!" or the classic, yet timeless "YAAARRRRR!"
    Industrials. - Turn off your afterburner when you orbit this guy, and only run the webifier intermittently as much as you need to keep him from getting away. You'll need the cap for the warp scrambler. These guys usually have alot of warp core stabilizers.
    Other Frigates. - Just catch up and shoot first. Happy birthday m*#$^%^#@#*%!
    Interceptors if you have the advantage of being the one jumping in on them. Just charge strait at them and turn on the webifier pronto. If it gets the upper hand and circles you outside 10km, try to warp out. Don't panic, it's probably too late.
    Cruisers - Yah. These just got better. Try to warp out unless they are mining.
    Battleships - Don't attack them alone. More than 4 guys.. odds are in your favor. Don't forget to shoot the ship after you kill the drones. ::::28::
    Destroyers - If this guy hits you when you are way far out, keep pressing on to get a close orbit. If not, keep out of range (+10km)
    Ok - territory: 0.4 to 0.1 or lowsec - you're sec is gonna get bad! people will run away when you enter local =( Who cares! If this isn't fun at some point, you can just delete this stupid game, or just start a second character slot and see what the carebear game is like. Option1 : Craft ammo and sell it to people to shoot it back you. Option2 : Shoot people, refine their cruddy mods, and shoot the remains of their ship at their friends. Trick with lowsec is not to master the radar or whatever.. just jump to the first belt before the foolish ones that closed their local wake up. Pray to the deities of strife and honor their wisdom. They will reward you when it is time. Any outcome will still look cool.
    0.0 - this is where it gets tricky. 0.0 is all about the gatecamps at the highway bottlenecks. Hmm.. nah forget it. Just jump in. You've got 30 seconds of gatecloak to choose a planet or moon to escape that gatecamp. Breathe. If there's a bubble.. c'est la vie. Actually those, 50% of the time, you are right on the edge of the bubble. Line it up, shoot the gap, escape to a planet's moon and immediately prepare to jump to somewhere else. Oh, there was a POS there. You're toast. Ask the guys at the gate camp to pod you back home as the dang clone is only 10k right?
    0.0 redux. Ok, you're deep in 0.0 this time because the gatecampers we're tipping the pizzaman. Here are the highways of wealth and easy living. Except there's not much ammo around, but you brought enough for awhile right? Don't stand still for very long. Best trick is to find a highway. Just a string of systems with only 2 gates each. Keep moving and you may run across a jumpy industrial or just pod or shuttle or something. Way more common than you think. You'll need luck catching them. Try anyway. You may also run into another camp or bubble.
    Eh. One good option still available. Find a nice moon within 3au of a gate in a 2 gate system with a level of travellers you like. Open the scanner. Check the filter to ON. Scan. The more things excluded by your filter the faster you scan. Familiarize. Wait awhile. If you've chosen well, in a number of minutes a face will appear in local. Hit the scan button. Scan once more. If you don't see them, warp to the gate they are headed to. They've got instas, but it's a hauler, nice and slow. Get to the gate pronto. Maybe you shoulda set your own insta first yeah? Don't shoot them till you get to the other side. You've both jumped. Wait for them to materialize and pounce on them. Did I mention sacrificing small furry creatures to your dark masters? I'll put that in the guide version 2.
    Expect to be poor. Expect to always be poor. Don't beg. Be a capitalist and offer potential investors a ~30% stake in your takings for a period of time. Kill them later, but keep your end of the bargain. Advertize and accept commissions to harrass someone else's foe - you may never succeed, but it bought you a new ship. Don't spend to much on mods. In your line of work, one weapon is really as good as the next so long as you are preying on the defensless and so-called "innocent." Better scramblers are steep, but they cost a kings ransom.
    If you wanna take the pillaging to the next step, and less of the fighting, drop the webifier and get a second warp scrambler. If you want to build your empire off that.. well.. you're gonna need to subscribe.
    Anyway, I hope this was helpful. No, I won't give you isk. -- I know. Very mean. The real trouble is that I don't have any. EVE is the best game ever.

They full game sucks its a game only for Space noobs  i have try it whit trail for 14 days it is suck
     i u by soemthing u need to get in another spacestation first i need to go to a Spaces gate  :S i have u something always in youre item pack ife u buy it ore not? and u cant go fly for free u need to Warp ore aproach i cant go fly whit " w,s,a.d ore use youre arrows , go play Guild Wars!!

I think someone needs to learn how to type in english  i marked the bits i could understand tho.

I think this person is some Kiddie DooD

• ZZZIONZZZION Member Posts: 6

Nice

• ZZZIONZZZION Member Posts: 6

Nice

• StarCykeStarCyke Member UncommonPosts: 43
    The implant at the end of the tutorial mission no longer sells for 4mil. Now its more like 50k.

• Drej_X_ArmyDrej_X_Army Member Posts: 151

all depends on where your at, hold on to it or goto http://www.eve-central.com and find out where someone is buying it for a high price.

• DrkreaperDrkreaper Member Posts: 76
    I like mission running & veldspar mining I like being able to buy anthing I want ...& I dont pvp at all ......nice read though ..guy wont last 2 min but hey its all in the ride to fame and fortune in eve
  • FadeFade Member Posts: 419
    why a kestrel and not a merlin?

proud member of BKB http://www.bkbhq.com/

Originally posted by Drej_X_Army

all depends on where your at, hold on to it or goto http://www.eve-central.com and find out where someone is buying it for a high price.

Nope its still maxed at 65k at eve central. Think they feel that 4.5mil is a bit too much for a newbie to have and changed the item given to you. Now they give us a Limited Social Adaptation implant. The next better implant: Limited Social Adaptation BETA sells for much much more.1-3 mil I believe.
  • Arcane587Arcane587 Member Posts: 4
    To be honest, you have to play this game well past the 14-day period to enjoy it. Personally, I like MMORPGs that are more active rather than passive. The skill system was a huge turnoff for me.

Originally posted by StarCyke

Originally posted by Drej_X_Army

Nope its still maxed at 65k at eve central. Think they feel that 4.5mil is a bit too much for a newbie to have and changed the item given to you. Now they give us a Limited Social Adaptation implant. The next better implant: Limited Social Adaptation BETA sells for much much more.1-3 mil I believe.

OK i need to clarify. I made a mistake sorry. The 3rd time I did the tutorial, I got another item instead which potentially sells for between 300k-600k. The first 2 times I got the same 60k item so it made me think that the rewards were fixed. If you're lucky, I believe you might get the implant which sells for between 1-1.5mil.

Originally posted by Arcane587
    To be honest, you have to play this game well past the 14-day period to enjoy it. Personally, I like MMORPGs that are more active rather than passive. The skill system was a huge turnoff for me.

Actually I'm having a bit more fun since joining a new corp. They are helping to outfit me even though I'm a trial user. Once my skills are up in 1 or 2 days time, we're gonna have a nice time pvping newbies ^_^. But yes, the skill system is a big turnoff for me too. Seems designed to make you advance at a predetermined rate= make you spend more subscription fees. For a trial user, I think you need about 2-4 days real time to config your skills for pvp in a frigate or destroyer and that leaves 7-8 days for actually pvp.
  • VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Great guide for the new player GJ!!!

Lost 4 destroyers in 3 hours... its getting dreary to be honest. PvP is difficult solo. Going suicidal in a cheap frigate is the way to go.

• TwinpappaTwinpappa Member Posts: 5

Howdy, I am on day 2 of my 14 Day trial.

I have been following this guide and am here to report in.

Currently I just got into my Rifter, with weapons and other assorted gear, some ammo (no pvp yet, still working on figuring out the mechanics of the basic game).

I have about 1.2 Million credits in the bank, am insured at highest level, and have a 90K clone.

All I did was run the tutorial, and follow the mission trail.  I did in fact get that implant that sold (for me) at about 1.6 Mil credits.

I made NO upgrades to my nooob ship whatsoever, and have purchased all skills suggested in this thread AND those required for the PvP University (still training em, but i got em).

NOTE: I did get a good deal on my Rifter (100K) and the guy was kind enough to add guns and such to it, so I figure I saved about 120k on that deal (as it insured at about 220k) though I did have the cash to have purchased it at full price.  It was after I bought the ship that I got the implant and got "rich".

Anyway, reporting in from Newbdom....this is Parin Tachin with Newbtime News.....the only news thats fit to forget!!!

Parin Tachin

Originally posted by StarCyke
    Lost 4 destroyers in 3 hours... its getting dreary to be honest. PvP is difficult solo. Going suicidal in a cheap frigate is the way to go.

most players skip destroyers and train to cruisers.  but yes your first time pvping should be in a frigate, something that you can lose.  its better than saving up all your funds for a nice big ship only to get wtfpwned by someone with a lot more skill.  so jump in that frigate and go join the school of hard knocks.

Yep agreed. Spoke to my corp mates. Shoulda skipped destroyer and went cruisers. For rookies, try to customise your character at the start so their skill set is skewed towards frigates 3 and missiles. Ability to get good hulls fast is much more important than nifty skills like shield upgrades and shield ops (although they still rock for me ^_^ great shields on my Merlin or Cormorant). Getting most skills to 3 will let you enjoy a lot of the games' aspects. Weird how everyone can get the 1.6mill implant...I only got the lousy 60k and 600k ones on my 2 characters. What race are you guys?

im caldari, and my implant (limited social adaptation) was going for 40k in the region i was in.  i have to go to a neighboring region to sell it for about 700k. 

also since i bought a merlin instead of a kestrel (so ratting and mission are easier) should i still try to pvp with it, or should i buy a kestrel for pvp

• brdabrda Member Posts: 8

People what do you think about that

http://www.freeweb.siol.net/dbrda1/index/durex.html

I think that this guy really work hard to reach his goals

Live long and prosper

• koopabrotherkoopabrother Member Posts: 4
    One of the best things that happend to me on my trial was trying to pirate in .3 to .4 space. I ended up facing off with and Interceptor in my little Incursus...but of course the Interceptor won, and held my pod for ransom. But when I told the guy I was on a trial account, he was very nice after that and gave me money for a new ship and told me to keep trying. Main point is even most of the pirates/PvP'rs in the game are very helpful and friendly.

• CrysalisCrysalis Member Posts: 43
    Wow that is quite the outstanding trial tutorial! If I were to win this free 60 day account I'm wondering if this walkthrough would still be relivent? In any case I'd probably try it out anyway since there are some good pointers on making money and I hear this game can take alot of money. I'm very interested in trying this game out since it has the highest player rating of all games on this website and has been for a very long while now. I used to play Earth and Beyond a long time ago and I found it extremely facinating at first but started to drag out rather quickly with the space travel time...I hope this game is not like that. Cheers!

To be honest, the more I play the trial, the more sick I get of it. Lost my 10th destroyer in 10 days from unprovoked attacks. Its not getting attacked thats the sick part. Whats sick is the time you'd have to spend to refit everything running from station to station. And its like the whole social structure will start turning everyone into griefers. Its really a kill or be killed mmo. Not much leeway for mistakes. The last mistake was me trusting this guy to creep up on me while I was ratting and he simple had to blast my ass for shits and giggles. Sigh...and I was so close to a Caracal too... Think even if I get the 60 day trial, I will probably give it away. I don't want to turn a 2 year old griefer...

• TboozlyTboozly Member Posts: 1

I'll trial the game

However I like to try it in my own way

thanks for the advice all